Norma Brass [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Norma Brass

F106 Fan
09-25-2012, 14:14
I will soon have a 2d .308 bolt action rifle. I have been using Lapua brass with me existing Steyr SSG and neck sizing only.

With the second rifle, and again, neck sizing only, I was thinking about using some other brand of brass to make case separation a little easier.

I see I can get Norma brass and, perhaps, Nosler brass but I was wondering if the brass was considered the equal of Lapua.

Any thoughts? If there are other brands I should consider in the context of precision reloading, I'm open to suggestions.

If there is no equal then I'll just have to keep the brass separated by batch. It's not a big problem but it will take two batches in the tumbler instead of one.

Richard

PhantomF4E
09-25-2012, 14:28
You will be hard pressed to find brass equal to or better than Lapua. However , load what you have in your favorite flavor and see how the gun shoots. If it is accurate enough and consistent enough for your application , you are good to go . I just use a sharpie marker and mark the headstamp. Makes seperating the brass a bit easier before tossing them in the cleaner. I get excellent results out of plain jane Win and Rem brass. But I am not presently shooting in excess of 500yds . After that the little stuff starts to matter !

Boxerglocker
09-25-2012, 15:16
For what it's worth. I've come across this topic several times and the consensus I see over at the Sniperhide and 6mmBR is that Norma brass is considered to be real close if not equal to Lapua.

F106 Fan
09-25-2012, 15:35
I should have searched over at Sniperhide...

I think I'm going to try to keep the brass separate until I have a load that works for the new rifle. Then I'll consider moving one rifle or the other over to Norma.

If it works out, great! If not, coloring the base with a Sharpie isn't out of the question.

Richard

Hoser
09-25-2012, 18:37
I have several hundred pcs of once fired Norma 308 brass and a couple hundred pcs of 6XC. I found it was slightly softer than the Lapua.

Stick with Lapua or cut bait and shoot Winchester brass inside 600 yards.

F106 Fan
09-25-2012, 19:14
I have no problem with continuing with Lapua brass. I just bought some more 6.5x284 and .308. I'll probably get another hundred .308 in the near future.

I'll just mark the base.

I bought the rifle but now I have to come up with a scope. Nothing in my inventory is nearly adequate for the new rifle.

Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1 NXS is on the shortlist.

Richard

fredj338
09-25-2012, 22:42
TOugh to beat Lapua. I have used just about all brands in some caliber or another. IMO, Lapua is #1, RWS a very close #2, then Norma. I also like Nosler Custom & Hornady, all in rifle.