Can jacketed bullets cause leading? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can jacketed bullets cause leading?

igolfat8
09-25-2012, 20:02
I have wondered if the exposed lead face, in the back side of jacketed bullets could cause lead build up in the barrel? If the explosion of gunpowder in the casing is in direct contact with the exposed lead wouldn't this melt the lead and then spray it into the barrel? Is this the reason why some manufacturers use a copper gas check on the back of jacketed bullets?

glock_19guy1983
09-25-2012, 20:06
No its not going to lead like that. The bullet never gets hot enough to melt the lead inside the barrel. Some may vaporize but, leading your barrel with jacketed bullets should be the last of your worries.

fredj338
09-25-2012, 22:38
I have wondered if the exposed lead face, in the back side of jacketed bullets could cause lead build up in the barrel? If the explosion of gunpowder in the casing is in direct contact with the exposed lead wouldn't this melt the lead and then spray it into the barrel? Is this the reason why some manufacturers use a copper gas check on the back of jacketed bullets?

Nope. First, there is no gas check on a jacketed bullet. There are plated bases & enclosed jacketed bases. Some will use a gilding metal gas check on a lead bulelt to limit leading, but Lead doesn't really melt at the base, not enough to actually lead. Dig out a fired bullet, open base or even lead, there isn't much damage to the base. The internal temos are high but only for micro seconds, not enough to really get things going.:dunno:

BSA70
09-25-2012, 22:51
nope.............

Colorado4Wheel
09-26-2012, 06:40
Jacketed bullets don't lead the barrel. Very little lead and the next bullet is constantly polishing the barrel. BUT, Non fully incased bullets will lead the compensator of a open gun. Those guns are running very high pressure and over time lead does build up in the comp.

superhornet
09-26-2012, 11:32
No---but 5,000 rounds of JHP will cause coppering..:rofl:

byf43
09-26-2012, 12:11
An exposed lead tip COULD cause lead poisoning of the intended 'organic' target.

:supergrin:

man.cave
09-26-2012, 18:17
I wondered about his also until a few years ago I dug a couple bullets out of a tree and saw no real difference in the lead base. I was neat to see the rifling on the bullet though.

noylj
09-27-2012, 22:39
No, not even the exposed lead base of a FMJ.
However, damaged plated bullets have been known to shed the plating and lead barrels.