Ion Bond over Another Finishing [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ion Bond over Another Finishing

zdpilot
09-25-2012, 21:04
Now go easy, i'm really new to this. Is there a way to do ion bond over another finishing? For example, i've done some research about Hard hatting and its a great metal treatment, but its not so great for scratches. On the other hand, ion bonding is great for scratches and not so much for hardening the metal. Is there anything that says you can't ion bond after hard hatting?

ProCarryNAustin
09-26-2012, 02:34
I've had Hard Hat on my STI Ranger II for over a year now and have not had any issues with scratches. This pistol is carried every day for 8-12 hours. Have not heard anything like this until now. While the "black" coating does wear some, I have not had any issues with scratches or rust. There are a few places where my pistol shows the grey underlying metal that was treated, no other issues at all.

https://severnscustom.com/Hard_Hat_Durability.html

R0CKETMAN
09-26-2012, 04:09
Now go easy, i'm really new to this. Is there a way to do ion bond over another finishing? For example, i've done some research about Hard hatting and its a great metal treatment, but its not so great for scratches. On the other hand, ion bonding is great for scratches and not so much for hardening the metal. Is there anything that says you can't ion bond after hard hatting?

You can IB over HC(see pic) and your HH research is flawed:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/rocketmanmtb/3c12cf69.jpg

zdpilot
09-26-2012, 09:39
You can IB over HC(see pic) and your HH research is flawed:

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g219/rocketmanmtb/3c12cf69.jpg

Ok, in which way is it flawed? I mean is it that it isn't a metal treatment? Or is it that it isn't as scratch-proof as ion-bond? Again, just wanting to understand.

BigDeeeeeeee
09-26-2012, 11:58
Or is it that it isn't as scratch-proof as ion-bond? Melonite is a very hard scratch resistant finish.

zdpilot
09-26-2012, 12:25
Melonite is a very hard scratch resistant finish.

ok, so if it is just as scratch resistant and it also hardens the metal beneath it, why is there so much debate between the two? It would seem that hard hatting is the clear choice.

Jim S.
09-26-2012, 16:57
There are a lot of brand names for basically the same finish.
My favorite finish for carbon steel guns is "Isonite QPQ" which is basically the same as melonite and a few of the others that harden and color the metal.
The actual terminology is "Ferritic Nitrocarburizing".
It case hardens the metal and gives it a beautiful black finish.

R0CKETMAN
09-26-2012, 16:58
Ok, in which way is it flawed? I mean is it that it isn't a metal treatment? Or is it that it isn't as scratch-proof as ion-bond? Again, just wanting to understand.

ok, so if it is just as scratch resistant and it also hardens the metal beneath it, why is there so much debate between the two? It would seem that hard hatting is the clear choice.

Melonite is extremely scratch resistant. I recall it's applied at 1800 degrees. I want to say IB is 400-600?

BigDeeeeeeee
09-26-2012, 19:15
ok, so if it is just as scratch resistant and it also hardens the metal beneath it, why is there so much debate between the two? It would seem that hard hatting is the clear choice.Some of the few down sides of melonite is that it can't be undone or redone as I understand it. That's a deal breaker for many people.

zdpilot
09-26-2012, 19:46
I appreciate all of your replies. You've more than answered my questions. Thank you!