Haley Skimmer Trigger [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Haley Skimmer Trigger

EOS
09-26-2012, 17:50
Im thinking of getting the Haley Skimmer trigger for my EDC G19 and maybe my G21. Does anyone on here have any experience with this trigger system? I love the idea of reduced takeup and a shorter reset basically giving it 1911 trigger characteristics.

Arc Angel
09-26-2012, 18:35
With a Glock's, 'Safe-Action' trigger system THAT doesn't sound like a very good idea - Especially for an EDC pistol. If you want a 1911, get a 1911; otherwise, leave a Glock, a Glock.

ken grant
09-26-2012, 18:38
with a glock's, 'safe-action' trigger system that doesn't sound like a very good idea - especially for an edc pistol. If you want a 1911, get a 1911; otherwise, leave a glock, a glock.

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hamrhed
09-26-2012, 19:52
While I would agree to the 'keep a Glock a Glock' rhetoric, I have been thinking about the HST conversion as well...

I will probably just stick with my Ghost connector for now, but I say if you want to give it a go then have at it: most of the reviews I have seen of Haley's mod have been favorable

EOS
09-26-2012, 20:05
With a Glock's, 'Safe-Action' trigger system THAT doesn't sound like a very good idea - Especially for an EDC pistol. If you want a 1911, get a 1911; otherwise, leave a Glock, a Glock.

Gotta disagree with you there, the Skimmer doesnt make the trigger pull any lighter just crisper and smoother with less takeup and a shorter reset, and IMO it doesnt matter if the trigger is lighter, if we just keep our finger off the trigger until on target it wouldnt matter how light the trigger is. With the shorter takeup and reset means quick and accurate first shots with fast follow ups And since it doesnt make it any lighter I think its a great trigger setup for an EDC glock. And furthermore, I dont consider the 1911 to be an ideal EDC weapon for my purposes, especially the officers and defender sizes, although I do carry a remington r1 on occasion.

EOS
09-26-2012, 20:18
I should also add that the trigger system uses Glock factory parts so if I get it I am still keeping my Glock "a Glock" no substandard aftermarket parts are used. Travis Haley is a serious dude, and a very reputable firearms trainer who developed this system for serious use in a defensive/duty weapon.

kodiakpb
09-26-2012, 20:24
I should also add that the trigger system uses Glock factory parts so if I get it I am still keeping my Glock "a Glock" no substandard aftermarket parts are used. Travis Haley is a serious dude, and a very reputable firearms trainer who developed this system for serious use in a defensive/duty weapon.

Make sure you view the vid that shows the drop safety being compromised.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=95151&page=7

TxGlock9
09-26-2012, 21:41
There's a recent thread on the skimmer about 2-3months ago.. Owner says it's not worth it.

EOS
09-26-2012, 22:53

wow, dang it, I was looking forward to getting one but if it compromises drop safety I cant go along with getting one, sucks to, I thought that was awesome concept. Oh well, maybe GT just saved me from dropping my gun and shooting my nuggets off.

TxGlock9
09-26-2012, 23:21
wow, dang it, I was looking forward to getting one but if it compromises drop safety I cant go along with getting one, sucks to, I thought that was awesome concept. Oh well, maybe GT just saved me from dropping my gun and shooting my nuggets off.

Have you tried other trigger components? Such as connector, trigger spring, plunger springs, etc?

Arc Angel
09-27-2012, 04:20

You mean, 'Arc Angel AND GT'; don't you! ;)

fasteddie565
09-27-2012, 21:15
I found one here in the classifieds for my G 21SF and after about 500 rds, I am very impressed. Its no 1911, but it is a damn sight better than the factory trigger. I don't drop my pistols so I have yet to test that potential vulnerability.

Kimura
09-27-2012, 22:34

I'd like to point out something someone else said on another forum, which is that Series 70 1911s don't have a drop safety either, yet people have carried them fine for years. Something to think about.

Tiro Fijo
09-28-2012, 01:39
I'd like to point out something someone else said on another forum, which is that Series 70 1911s don't have a drop safety either, yet people have carried them fine for years. Something to think about.

The 1911 has other safeties in play as well, i.e., grip safety and thumb safety,

Tornado_Racing
09-28-2012, 06:01
I have a Skimmer in my Gen4 G19. IMHO and per my shooting preferences, this trigger suits me perfect. I like the short take-up and the trigger breaks after about 3/16" after it sets. Light crisp break with quick reset makes for some fast and accurate follow up shots. Downside is $160.00 for factory parts is expensive, but to me well worth the investment. If I hadn't shot a friends G17 w/Skimmer I probably would not have made the purchase.

As far as the drop safety goes. This trigger is marketed as a Carry/SD system and a well known guy has put his name on it. With the legal ramifications that could pose a problem, they know what their doing with the trigger modifications. Why put your *ss on the line and say it's a Carry Trigger and it not be safe for Carry?

I guess it boils down to what you feel comfortable & safe with and again the above is my opinion.

Just my 2cents.............

fasteddie565
09-28-2012, 07:33

This is how Internet rumors start. I went to the link listed above and read until I found the video. The guy in the video has some sort of aftermarket slide cover plate. It is bright orange and looks plastic, but I have no proof of anything other than that is is not a factory part ('Cause its orange).

Anyway, I tried to replicate the malfunction in my otherwise factory Glock 21 SF. I could not replicate the malfunction, even hitting the back of my pistol with a rubber hammer.

Fire_Medic
09-28-2012, 07:39
This is how Internet rumors start. I went to the link listed above and read until I found the video. The guy in the video has some sort of aftermarket slide cover plate. It is bright orange and looks plastic, but I have no proof of anything other than that is is not a factory part ('Cause its orange).

Anyway, I tried to replicate the malfunction in my otherwise factory Glock 21 SF. I could not replicate the malfunction, even hitting the back of my pistol with a rubber hammer.

No internet rumor brother, Robb has probably forgotten more about Glocks than most people (myself included) will ever learn.

As for the orange plate, it's one of the "tools" for the Glocks, useful to help diagnose trigger issues, or more popular to most on the net, is the use to install a Ghost Rocket that requires fitting.

I'm glad you're happy with your trigger, but I would not want a trigger in "my" gun that makes one of it's safeties useful.

As for the person who made the comparison to the series 70 1911, yes they did not have a drop safety, but they do have a manual safety. When you take the Glock drop safety out of the equation what are you left with? :dunno:

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=523

This is not an aftermarket part BTW

SJ 40
09-28-2012, 07:48

Anyway, I tried to replicate the malfunction in my otherwise factory Glock 21 SF. I could not replicate the malfunction, even hitting the back of my pistol with a rubber hammer.That orange back plate is a Glock OEM armorers plate made for just the purpose it is being used in.for checking sear engagement. SJ 40

fasteddie565
09-28-2012, 13:51
I learn something new everyday.
I certainly meant no disrespect to the Armorer in the video. My point is/was that I could not replicate the error he demonstrated in the video and I was much more "aggressive" in my attempts than he was.

ThatGuyDave
09-28-2012, 14:12
Like everyone else has stated, keep a glock a glock. When it comes to self defense simple is better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tango44
09-28-2012, 19:17
Glock uses a pivoted trigger.... will never be a 1911.
I don't have the Skimmer trigger but I have a Fulcrum trigger kit on my G19 and I love it, I only carry stock!

fasteddie565
09-28-2012, 20:26
So if this skimmer trigger is made from factory parts and some of these other triggers are as well, what's the difference? (I truly do not know). I am a "ground truth" kind of Guy, I don't care who made it or who endorses it. If it works it works, if not, then it goes. I need to shoot it some more before I give the final verdict.

So far, I like it.

SouthpawG26
09-28-2012, 20:53
So if this skimmer trigger is made from factory parts and some of these other triggers are as well, what's the difference? (I truly do not know).

The Skimmer indeed uses an OEM triggerbar as a starting point, but a transverse pin is added that limits travel of the trigger pivot/hinge.

fasteddie565
09-29-2012, 05:21
The Skimmer indeed uses an OEM triggerbar as a starting point, but a transverse pin is added that limits travel of the trigger pivot/hinge.

SouthpawG26,

Thanks for the explanation (Now I want to take it apart and look at it). So does this pin somehow interfere with or disable the drop safety? Or do they remove it? Is it one of those things that just happens when you muddle with something that works?

I am about 300 rds away from from my normal test fire procedure prior to carrying anything. besides the normal draw stroke, reload, strong hand, support hand, prone, kneeling etc. Is there something else I can add to my test to get this gun to malfunction? (I tried the steps in the video)

Thanks again for keeping me straight.

SouthpawG26
09-29-2012, 06:14
SouthpawG26,

Thanks for the explanation (Now I want to take it apart and look at it). So does this pin somehow interfere with or disable the drop safety? Or do they remove it? Is it one of those things that just happens when you muddle with something that works?

I am about 300 rds away from from my normal test fire procedure prior to carrying anything. besides the normal draw stroke, reload, strong hand, support hand, prone, kneeling etc. Is there something else I can add to my test to get this gun to malfunction? (I tried the steps in the video)

Thanks again for keeping me straight.

By limiting triggerbar travel, the triggerbar tabs that rest on the drop safety "ledge" of the trigger housing, now sit in a slightly different spot than stock. Closer "to the edge", as it were.

Will this affect the drop safety or reduce its susceptibility to shocks in a quantifiable or measurable way?

I frankly don't know.

What I do know is that modifications that limit trigger travel often seem to need tweaks or minor adjustments on a certain percentage of guns.
Some of these kits involve set screws so that the end user can make these adjustments.
The Skimmer however, is not user adjustable.

A final point of consideration: a -connector (aka 4.5 aka 3.5), while reducing trigger pull weight, actually puts the triggerbar in a slightly safer position with regards to the drop safety, than a 5.5 connector.

The big practical problem is that you aren't going to bang your gun on the floor to check if the drop safely works or not.

So err on the side of caution on a carry gun.

EDITED TO ADD:
Is reduction of pre travel nice to have? Yes.
But it's only nice for the first shot. Follow up shots are fired from the reset point however, once you have trained yourself to properly ride the reset, and the reduced pre travel will not give you any advantage on these follow up shots.

glockpeter
09-29-2012, 08:41
like OEM parts :wavey::supergrin:

DigginGlocks
01-20-2013, 19:44
Hi all. I joined this board after reading about this trigger setup, and ordered the Haley Skimmer for my G27. It sounded like a great setup, but I was a bit scared off from some of these comments I read here. I forwarded some of the comments stating that the drop safety is disabled to the people at GlockTriggers.com to see what their response would be before ordering. They told me that NONE of the safeties are disabled with this trigger, regardless of what might be floating around on the internet. Apparently there is a lot of misinfo being sent around, most likely from competitors who are doing so for obvious reasons. I have not installed the trigger yet, as I'm still waiting on some other parts to arrive so I can get them installed all at once.

Jeff Wilson, the guy who actually makes the Haley Skimmer triggers said this to me:

"I make this product.
All the safeties function with this trigger installed.
I have tested it myself and carried it for several years.
If you are concerned you are certainly welcome to
call me tomorrow. My cell is xxx-xxx-xxxx. If you would like to
Cancel your order and be refunded I will be glad to
Do that as well.

Thanks and regards,

Jeff Wilson
"Smooth is Faster"

If that isn't enough for any skeptics out there, just call them and talk to them yourselves. I highly doubt that they would be putting out a trigger system and claiming that the drop safety works if it didn't.

Peace out.

Diggin Glocks!

SWThomas
10-26-2013, 15:40
I'm getting a little tired of the stock trigger so I figured I would rekindle this thread. Any news on this trigger or anyone else try it out?

mateo6446
11-06-2013, 13:07
Same question here. New to Glocks, but have 1000+ through my Gen 4 19. I'm only beginning to get a "feel" for the gun but the initial travel on the stock trigger is grainy and feels a little clunky. If a trigger replacement isnt the answer has there been any experience with "smoothing out" the take up on the first shot?

WarEagle 1
11-06-2013, 16:48
I've had the Haley Skimmer in my G17 for over 2yrs now and still satisfied. Maybe if I shake it violently it'll go bang? :dunno:

dakrat
11-07-2013, 08:31
"uses modified OEM parts"

Gaston is a genius and we are now in 4th generation GLocks. I think he would have figured it out after the 1st generation.

bottom line. for the majority of the population given the safe action concept, the stock trigger system is adequate. a long take-up is not necessarily a bad thing with the safe-action safety. single action, yes. competition Glocks, yes.