tnoutdoors9 10mm gel tests [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : tnoutdoors9 10mm gel tests

Andrew Wiggin
09-27-2012, 11:12
I'm sure his tests have been discussed here but I didn't see a thread dedicated to them. I had a couple thoughts and wanted to hear yours. The first is that I'm pleasantly surprised regarding penetration. He tested Underwood 180 gr Gold Dot through gel and water. In gel it did 17" but in water it stopped in the third jug (<18" of water *should* be less than 11.25" in gel or tissue). I tested my own hand loaded 155 gr and 165 gr Gold Dots in water and got nearly the same result. Until tnoutdoors9's test, I was concerned that I wouldn't be getting enough penetration and now it looks like it might be.

He also tested Hornady factory 180 gr XTP. First, it doesn't seem to have any problem with denim as has been rumored. Second, it hit nearly the same depth as the Gold Dot. I wonder if more velocity would result in less penetration.

I'm really interested to hear what you all have to say regarding penetration and bullet performance at these velocities.

tnoutdoors9's tests:

175 gr Silvertip:

http://youtu.be/RmNL30om6Eo

180 gr XTP:

http://youtu.be/8X6vNZTbF7s

Underwood 180 gr Gold Dot:

http://youtu.be/sl_n_miLfbY

"Secret" water test of Underwood 180 gr Gold Dot:

http://youtu.be/idfQ1wzpFes

My own much less scientific tests:
165 gr Gold Dot hand load:

10mm 165gr GDHP - YouTube

155 gr Gold Dot hand load:

10mm 155gr GDHP hand load - YouTube

Buffalo Bore 180 gr Montana Gold

180gr Buffalo Bore (MT Gold bullet) - YouTube

arushus
09-28-2012, 16:50
It seems to me that a round should penetrate farther in gel than it does in jugs filled with water...

Taterhead
09-28-2012, 21:46
Thanks for posting these here Andrew. A couple of them were new to me.

There was one pleasant surprise: The factory Hornady left a bit more perm cavity than I would have expected. That is just a dang good all around bullet.

The 180 GDHP did as expected. It really met its match when it found its way into the Underwood Ammo loading room! Kersplat!

wlkjr
09-28-2012, 22:06
Are we picking out one that we think it will be OK to be shot with, that won't hurt us?

Andrew Wiggin
09-29-2012, 00:36
It seems to me that a round should penetrate farther in gel than it does in jugs filled with water...

Gelatin is denser than water and offers more resistance to the bullet. Normally bullets go almost twice as far through water. I suspect that the high velocity combined with relatively heavy weight of the 10mm causes the bullet to expand much more quickly, therefore slowing much more quickly. I'm no geographist, though, so my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Andrew Wiggin
10-08-2012, 14:46
Two more tests by him. Both are 135 gr Nosler loads by Underwood.

Underwood 10mm 135 gr Nosler Clear Gel Test - YouTube

Underwood 10mm 135 gr Nosler SIM-TEST Ammo Test - YouTube

agent clark
10-08-2012, 19:57
Just a hunch of mine, but i bet the water results would be quite different in a single large container of water, or maybe shot straight down and viewed/measured from the side with one of those super slow cameras. Not so much because of the plastic you have to pierce, but because the water is contained in the smaller jugs and can't disperse as freely until the container explodes or the bullet simply passes through to the next one. On the same token, a larger block of gel probably reacts a little differently than a smaller one.

dixietoo
10-09-2012, 07:19
strictly as a comment on video quality, which is good for the most part.
If you want to continue with the clear gel then go to a higher shutter speed on your camera. You will still be limited to 30 frames per second, but will get a cleaner picture-less blur from motion- in your frame by frame playback. If you like your high shutter speed video you can go higher/faster with more light. You don't need anything fancy, just some bright light on your gel block.
If you are interested in a new camera, recent models that are pricey but still under $10k will let you shoot/film at 60 frames per second.

TWS G26
10-11-2012, 11:52
strictly as a comment on video quality, which is good for the most part.
If you want to continue with the clear gel then go to a higher shutter speed on your camera. You will still be limited to 30 frames per second, but will get a cleaner picture-less blur from motion- in your frame by frame playback. If you like your high shutter speed video you can go higher/faster with more light. You don't need anything fancy, just some bright light on your gel block.
If you are interested in a new camera, recent models that are pricey but still under $10k will let you shoot/film at 60 frames per second.

I can definitely improve the shutter speed, by quite a bit, but as you mentioned, lighting will have to increase. The camcorder is already shooting at 60fps. I am also experimenting with the Twixtor plugin for slow motion. It's going to take some experimenting, primary with water jugs to confirm if my settings are in the ballpark; then I'll tag a block.

dixietoo
10-11-2012, 14:22
You have a nice camera then! If you shoot on a sunny day, you can use white pieces of cardboard as reflectors for the sun. 3X3 foot square pieces, at least, as the squares need to be large to work well. You can add quite a lot of light with 2 reflectors like this. The drawback is that the sun has to out and you will have to get everything ready to shoot, Glock included, :P, and then aim your reflectors and fire soon since the sun moves. 2000 FPS would be a good speed if your shutter will go that high. Have Fun!

LexDiamonds
10-11-2012, 18:09
Thank you for posting these vids! I am quite the 10mm zealot and enjoyed watching these.

Andrew Wiggin
10-12-2012, 18:20
I can definitely improve the shutter speed, by quite a bit, but as you mentioned, lighting will have to increase. The camcorder is already shooting at 60fps. I am also experimenting with the Twixtor plugin for slow motion. It's going to take some experimenting, primary with water jugs to confirm if my settings are in the ballpark; then I'll tag a block.

Hey, there he is! Thanks for the good work. Not a lot of data available on the 10mm.

bac1023
10-12-2012, 19:37
Great videos for sure :cool:

skier92857
10-15-2012, 11:38
really appreciate the videos bud, I was one of those patiently waiting for a 135g nosler review.

thanks!