Master Class? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Master Class?

Steve Koski
09-27-2012, 15:22
I'm a master class shooter in IDPA, and I signed up for two master divisions this Saturday in SLC. Yesterday somebody told me that MA in IDPA didn't make you a MA as far as GSSF is concerned. Is this true? Can I change to amateur divisions at the match?

Thanks,

Koski

mike from philly
09-27-2012, 16:02
From the rules .... see the bold section.

170.50 Definition of “Master”
• The competitor is a professional shooter.
• The competitor has won three (3) GLOCK firearms
as “high overall” in any division at previous GSSF
matches.
• The competitor has finished in the top 25 percentile
of a non- GSSF major shooting competition (Statelevel championship or above. At least three Master
or above shooters must have shot the same competition against whom the GSSF member’s relative
performance can be compared).
• The competitor is classified “Master” or above in
NRA, PPC, ICORE, IPSC/USPSA, Cowboy Action
or similar shooting disciplines.
• “Master” ranking in IDPA shall no longer count
towards “Master” status in GSSF.
• The competitor is a member of an armed forces
pistol shooting team.
• The competitor is a member of a (non-GSSF) law
enforcement organization-sponsored pistol shooting team.
• Some shooting disciplines do not have a formal
“Master” or similar ranking system. GSSF reserves
the authority to adjudge the relative Amateur
versus Master skill level of any shooter in question
and classify them accordingly

sciolist
09-27-2012, 16:12
I wondered about that. Not sure what GSSF's intent is, but odd they would equate USPSA and IDPA Master classes. There's a pretty big difference in skill level between the two.

Steve Koski
09-27-2012, 16:21
Thank you!

Any chance they'll let me change Div's at the match? Or are you locked in once you email your form in?

Thanks,

Koski

legacy38
09-27-2012, 16:37
Thank you!

Any chance they'll let me change Div's at the match? Or are you locked in once you email your form in?

Thanks,

Koski

Either email them at gssf@glock.us or give them a call to see if they will change it for you. They usually try to work things out in the shooter's favor.

Steve Koski
09-27-2012, 16:38
Oops.

bryandover
09-27-2012, 16:56
I'm sure GSSF will change it when you check in.

bryandover
09-27-2012, 16:57
You might what to shoot Master Stock for a warm up.

ede
09-28-2012, 05:22
Hi Steve, long time since I've seen you here/ You should be shooting AmCiv and Competition. Comp. allows Masters and Amatures to compete, the results are listed together but each compete for a different prize set. If you have a pistol legal for Sub Compact or a .45 you should look at other divisions to enter as well.

ron59
09-28-2012, 07:49
I wondered about that. Not sure what GSSF's intent is, but odd they would equate USPSA and IDPA Master classes. There's a pretty big difference in skill level between the two.

???

Pretty clear they DON'T "equate" them. They deliberately exclude IDPA Masters, because as you said, there is quite a bit of difference between the two.

sciolist
09-28-2012, 13:10
They equated Master in GSSF, IDPA and USPSA previously, in the form of using Master-class in other shooting sports as a qualifier for Master in GSSF. That is what "shall no longer count towards" in the rules quote in Post #2 refers to.

I said I wondered about that - past tense. I saw it some time ago in the GSSF rules, and thought it was odd.