So what kind of watch does everyone wear? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : So what kind of watch does everyone wear?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Roger1079
09-27-2012, 20:28
Watches have become just as weak of a point for me over the years as guns.

I have had 2 Breitlings. One Chrono SuperOcean and a Navitimer World (The Navitimer was just recently sold) and this past week I picked up a brand spanking new 2012 SS Rolex Submariner Date. I also have a Luminox 3081.BO for the manual labor.

Anyone else with a similar addiction? I would love to know I'm not the only one with a second ridiculously expensive hobby.

Gallium
09-27-2012, 20:37
Nope, we all hate watches. Yer on your own pal. I've never ever seen a watch thread on GT.

No knife threads either. Sorry to disappoint. :)

CitizenOfDreams
09-27-2012, 20:38
Either no watch at all, or $20 Casio.

http://www.casio.com/resource/images/large/mq24-1e_large.jpg

GAFinch
09-27-2012, 20:40
My Android pocket watch.

certifiedfunds
09-27-2012, 20:41
:rofl:

Bushflyr
09-27-2012, 20:41
Who needs a watch? I have minions.

certifiedfunds
09-27-2012, 20:42
Who needs a watch? I have minions.

But are they swiss made, officially certified superlative minions?

Brucev
09-27-2012, 20:46
Seiko divers watch, bought 1990. Keeps perfect time. Excellent. Also a Sekio Chronograph purchased in 2010. Again... simply excellent watch.

JBnTX
09-27-2012, 20:46
I can't stand wearing a watch.

If I did wear one, I would have to wear one on each wrist to remain symmetrical and not be unbalanced.

It doesn't feel normal to wear one on only one side of the body.

Roger1079
09-27-2012, 20:47
Nope, we all hate watches. Yer on your own pal. I've never ever seen a watch thread on GT.

No knife threads either. Sorry to disappoint. :)I know it's been done before, but I hate reviving the dead.....

Just happy as a pig in manure that I finally picked up the Submariner (which is what I have always wanted, but never could work up the nerve to drop the coin on.)

Happypuppy
09-27-2012, 21:13
None...one day I noticed I already had the time on my cell phone and ditched it.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

hoven88
09-27-2012, 21:21
Casio G-Shock, Luminox Time and Date, Tag F1, and lastly a Breitling Colt GMT. One or two others in between...

Kevin108
09-27-2012, 21:38
Timex Ironman Oversize. It's not nice, overly useful or particularly comfortable but I liked how it looked and for $40, I'm going to wear it until something happens to it.

http://www.timex.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product/T5K418_0.jpg

Scott3670
09-27-2012, 22:30
Kobold Phantom, just got it yesterday.

NeverMore1701
09-27-2012, 22:34
iPhone 4S, soon to be 5, or a cheap but decent Fossil for when I have to have that second hand.

scwine
09-27-2012, 22:42
Omega Seamaster Pro.
Also have a Luminox anniversary issue that has lost it's Lume on the minute hand. The company won't respond to my emails about getting it fixed so I am done with them.

Trapped_in_Kali
09-27-2012, 22:43
I love watches & I need to get my grandfathers pocket watch fixed but I rarely wear one.
I work in construction and watches get beat to hell.
I stopped wearing one when I started being required to carry a cell phone (no it's not a "Smart Fart Phone"). I use the phone as little as possible but I'm on call 24/7 so I don't need to have a watch.

rilkil23
09-27-2012, 22:46
My Rolex submariner was my 21st birthday gift from my dad. He received in 1970 as a gift from the members of the country club where he was the head golf pro. I've only worn it a few times as I'm too afraid of losing it being it has a ton of sentimental value. I rely on my phone to tell me the time.

Folsom_Prison
09-27-2012, 22:52
Ive got a sweet French made watch, it came with a white flag!

Trapped_in_Kali
09-27-2012, 23:00

Ahhhh,
The French Battle Flag!:rofl:

Snaps
09-27-2012, 23:01
iPhone 4 is mine. ;)

I've got a Tag, a couple cheap work watches, but I never bother anymore since i started having a cell phone on me all the time. I have however considered on of those fancy Casio Edifice atomic clock types.

javelinadave
09-27-2012, 23:03
Omega Seamaster
Casio G-Shock PAW-1500
Seiko Automatic Dive watch (Pepsi Bezel)

Those are my "go to" watches. I have a few others that I rotate in from time to time.
Watches are like 1911's, over time they start to multiply.

Shinytop
09-27-2012, 23:15
Casio Wave Ceptor, digital and updates daily via radio, solar powered. Actually got it because it was the thinnest reasonably priced digital I could find.

dabigguns357
09-27-2012, 23:30
I own 3 citizen watches,good enough for me.

fnfalman
09-27-2012, 23:38
Oh hell, here we go again.

Shock proof, EMP proof, waterproof to 100-meters and most importantly, chicks drop drawers for it.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Wrist%20Watches/RolexMilgauss001.jpg

Grabbrass
09-27-2012, 23:38
I wear a Seiko Monster. It gets the job done, though it's overkill honestly - I don't scuba dive and would use something better if I did. The wife and I are planning to buy ourselves a pair (not matching) of Rolexes next year to celebrate/congratulate ourselves on our oldest turning 20 (adulthood in Japanese culture). I'm looking at either the Datejust w/ stick dial and oyster band (116200), or else an Explorer I.

Lone_Wolfe
09-28-2012, 00:41
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/Lone_Wolfe_/Rocks%20and%20Rings/Outside3.jpg

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/Lone_Wolfe_/Rocks%20and%20Rings/GMTSun2.jpg

or..

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/Lone_Wolfe_/Rocks%20and%20Rings/Sub-TBird2.jpg

Captain Ron
09-28-2012, 00:53
I just love Rolex watches wish I could afford them.:crying:

Diesel McBadass
09-28-2012, 01:02
i find watches unconfortable, got a wegner for when i need one.

Annhl8rX
09-28-2012, 01:28
I haven't worn a watch in around six months. I really like Skagens, but they keep breaking on me. I don't want some bulky contraption on my wrist.

Shagrat
09-28-2012, 04:31

Shock proof, EMP proof, waterproof to 100-meters and most importantly, chicks drop drawers for it.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Wrist%20Watches/RolexMilgauss001.jpg

The kind of chick that'll drop drawers for a Rolex wearer will probably have a dose of cupid's measles.

GreenDrake
09-28-2012, 05:00
Usually my Omega Seamaster Chrono or Luminox

sheriff733
09-28-2012, 06:39
The kind of chick that'll drop drawers for a Rolex wearer will probably have a dose of cupid's measles.

:rofl:

jollygreen
09-28-2012, 07:12
None...one day I noticed I already had the time on my cell phone and ditched it.

This. I'd actually have to go look to see what my watches are. They were gifts from my wife but since I carry a cell phone..........

GlockinNJ
09-28-2012, 07:20
My everyday watch is something like this. Skagen titanium. Very thin and I love the styling.

http://www.luxurywinders.com/skagen-watches/396STMX.jpg

kensb2
09-28-2012, 07:23
Citizen eco-drive...I can't afford a Rolex...probably not even a fake one!

Sharkey
09-28-2012, 07:35
+1 for an Citizen Eco Drive. I have a Casio and Timex I wear for casual stuff. I almost always wear a watch. Guess I'm old skool.

I use the alarm functions in the morning to let me know I need a cup of coffee, you know NOT a Red Bull what you young whipper snappers drink. :supergrin:

professorpinki
09-28-2012, 07:40
I wear a solar/atomic GShock of some sort and a blackout Luminox.

aircarver
09-28-2012, 07:43
pedestrian watch = slave

fancy watch = valued slave

:supergrin:

devildog2067
09-28-2012, 07:47
I can't stand wearing a watch.

If I did wear one, I would have to wear one on each wrist to remain symmetrical and not be unbalanced.

It doesn't feel normal to wear one on only one side of the body.

Do you wear two wedding rings?

Do you carry two guns?

Do you load-balance your pockets?

KalashniKEV
09-28-2012, 07:51

FALSE.

All chicks go crazy for Rolex. Seriously.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Watches/2012-06-07_14-55-28_405.jpg

2-8 Marine
09-28-2012, 07:57
I know it's been done before, but I hate reviving the dead.....

Just happy as a pig in manure that I finally picked up the Submariner (which is what I have always wanted, but never could work up the nerve to drop the coin on.)

Good for you and great choice. I too own a Submariner but in two-tone stainless/18K gold, with blue dial and bezel. I also bought a stainless, Sub C for my Son.
Its very strange but you'll likely find many of the same folk on GT that will drop a bundle on a high end pistol/rifle/shotgun/automobile/motorcycle/boat, etc, will complain or even condemn someone who appreciates a quality, high end watch purchasing same. Go figure. Personally, I don't get it.

Taurus851
09-28-2012, 08:06
citizen eco drive is my daily wear to work watch:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/attachments/f21/393465d1298498207-citizen-cb0020-50e-radio-controlled-perpetual-calendar-its-way-strap-cb0020-50e.jpg

2-8 Marine
09-28-2012, 08:09

Very nice . . . I've been considering a white dial Milgauss as my next purchase.

2-8 Marine
09-28-2012, 08:13
So, you know those chicks personally? :whistling:

wmodavis
09-28-2012, 08:24
Haven't worn a watch for over ten years. Likely will not start now.

Roger1079
09-28-2012, 08:37

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f308/fnfalman/Wrist%20Watches/RolexMilgauss001.jpgGood taste in motorcycles too sir.

GLWyandotte
09-28-2012, 09:27
Laco

http://i47.tinypic.com/2l8hy0p.jpg

series1811
09-28-2012, 09:29
G-Shock. It even tells the tides.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4758425070405198&id=345802a1c995910ca70e2e16aad13d56

(I went through the Rolex phase in my late 20's (stainless steel Submariner). It was pretty and cool looking, and lost about 5 minutes a week.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4678624563299822&id=306ff785a28cdfacb7806cabe6cdea9f

I got tired of worrying about losing it or leaving it somewhere and of having people ask me if it was real. :supergrin:

Paul7
09-28-2012, 09:30
Omega Constellation.

Diesel McBadass
09-28-2012, 09:35
I just check my phone.

Ive never had a fancy expensive watch before though, those might fit comfortably. Maybe someday ill geta aweome watch, a friend and i went and checked a bunch out once, the rolexes are sweet with the smooth second hand travel. I can always dream :)

HexHead
09-28-2012, 09:36
Been on my wrist every day for the last 3years, 5days....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/scat999999/misc/DSC_0014.jpg

And you guys that just use your cell phones, it's the modern equivalent of the pocket watch. And just as convenient.

Diesel McBadass
09-28-2012, 09:46
But way more confortable and i already have it on my, no need to add an unconfortable thing onto my wrist.

devildog2067
09-28-2012, 09:49

Very nice. The Yachtmaster is an underappreciated model. Never understood what the fuss was until I tried one on.

devildog2067
09-28-2012, 09:50
But way more confortable and i already have it on my, no need to add an unconfortable thing onto my wrist.

A watch isn't uncomfortable at all. Even a heavy watch only weighs a couple of ounces.

Louisville Glocker
09-28-2012, 09:50
Good for you and great choice. I too own a Submariner but in two-tone stainless/18K gold, with blue dial and bezel. I also bought a stainless, Sub C for my Son.
Its very strange but you'll likely find many of the same folk on GT that will drop a bundle on a high end pistol/rifle/shotgun/automobile/motorcycle/boat, etc, will complain or even condemn someone who appreciates a quality, high end watch purchasing same. Go figure. Personally, I don't get it.

Well, I wasn't going to post on this thread, but you've inspired me. You don't get it? Why we'll spend money on an awesome gun, but not a fancy watch? Well listen up:

1. I have no need for a watch. Clocks are all around me everywhere I go. They're on my computer (I can see the time right now, for example). They're in the halls where I work. They're in meeting rooms on the wall. Etc, etc. They're on my cell phone, there is a clock in my car. Worst case scenerio, I ask somebody nearby, they pull out their phone, and tell me. Basically, there is no need to own a watch. Whereas with guns, there often is a VERY REAL need.

2. A cheap watch works just as well as an expensive one. They both tell you the time of day. I can buy a cheap watch for ten bucks. Sure, it might break in a couple years. Buy a new one. You can't say the same thing for guns. Cheap ones are less accurate, and far more likely to malfunction.

3. In today's modern society, I don't want to be constantly reminded of what time it is. I've got enough stress in my life without having the time staring at me from my own arm. If I want to know what time it is, I'll find out (as mentioned in #1, I can look at a computer, or a clock, or ask someone). I think that not worrying so much about time can actually lower your stress, which contributes to quality of life and may even extend your life. Win win. If I need to be somewhere at a certain time, I plan for it, and keep track of time. Easy to do.

4. For special functions, they can be useful. I do have a watch with GPS for running. It set me back a hundred bucks. But it is a great tool for my workouts. I also wear it while I'm coaching soccer games.

5. Based on 1-4 above, a logical observer can see that while some things like guns, cars, etc, serve very practical purposes, and buying a good one will give very different results than buying a cheap one (compare my volvo xc wagon to your Ford Fiesta for example), shelling out a bunch of money on a fancy watch serves no real purpose. A five or ten dollar watch will tell you exactly the same time as your five thousand dollar watch. Expensive watches are simply jewelry.

I'm not condemning or complaining about people who buy expensive jewelry, but you need to own up to what it is. It is a luxury item that has very little useful purpose. Some people like those. Fine. Maybe you can impress your friends. Impress the ladies. But that is all it is, just a way to show off to people.

Enjoy.

hpracing007
09-28-2012, 09:53
My daily is a Seiko my mom gave me like... 12 years ago. Keeps great time. I use the chrono everyday, whatever watch I get next has to have one.

phil evans
09-28-2012, 09:54
let the smugness begin - again.:rofl:

devildog2067
09-28-2012, 09:57
Well, I wasn't going to post on this thread, but you've inspired me.

How many times have we had this thread? I only ask because I'm curious if you cut-and-pasted this response, or actually typed it out. Looks like most of the usual suspects are here already, anyway, except Yo.

1. I have no need for a watch. Clocks are all around me everywhere I go.

Good for you.

I go plenty of places where there aren't any clocks. I suppose in some of those places I could hang some (like next to my shower, for example, I don't have any clocks in the bathroom) but it's easier just to bring my watch since I'm already wearing it.

Basically, there is no need to own a watch. Whereas with guns, there often is a VERY REAL need.

I'd argue with the modifier "often"--other than my time in the military, I have never ever "needed" a gun. More than once, I've "needed" a watch on a hike or climb.

2. A cheap watch works just as well as an expensive one.

Actually, often better.

3. In today's modern society, I don't want to be constantly reminded of what time it is. I've got enough stress in my life without having the time staring at me from my own arm.
I'm far more stressed out if I have to worry about whether I'm late or not, but to each his own I guess.

podwich
09-28-2012, 10:22
Well, I wasn't going to post on this thread, but you've inspired me. You don't get it? Why we'll spend money on an awesome gun, but not a fancy watch? Well listen up:

1. I have no need for a watch. Clocks are all around me everywhere I go. They're on my computer (I can see the time right now, for example). They're in the halls where I work. They're in meeting rooms on the wall. Etc, etc. They're on my cell phone, there is a clock in my car. Worst case scenerio, I ask somebody nearby, they pull out their phone, and tell me. Basically, there is no need to own a watch. Whereas with guns, there often is a VERY REAL need.

2. A cheap watch works just as well as an expensive one. They both tell you the time of day. I can buy a cheap watch for ten bucks. Sure, it might break in a couple years. Buy a new one. You can't say the same thing for guns. Cheap ones are less accurate, and far more likely to malfunction.

3. In today's modern society, I don't want to be constantly reminded of what time it is. I've got enough stress in my life without having the time staring at me from my own arm. If I want to know what time it is, I'll find out (as mentioned in #1, I can look at a computer, or a clock, or ask someone). I think that not worrying so much about time can actually lower your stress, which contributes to quality of life and may even extend your life. Win win. If I need to be somewhere at a certain time, I plan for it, and keep track of time. Easy to do.

4. For special functions, they can be useful. I do have a watch with GPS for running. It set me back a hundred bucks. But it is a great tool for my workouts. I also wear it while I'm coaching soccer games.

5. Based on 1-4 above, a logical observer can see that while some things like guns, cars, etc, serve very practical purposes, and buying a good one will give very different results than buying a cheap one (compare my volvo xc wagon to your Ford Fiesta for example), shelling out a bunch of money on a fancy watch serves no real purpose. A five or ten dollar watch will tell you exactly the same time as your five thousand dollar watch. Expensive watches are simply jewelry.

I'm not condemning or complaining about people who buy expensive jewelry, but you need to own up to what it is. It is a luxury item that has very little useful purpose. Some people like those. Fine. Maybe you can impress your friends. Impress the ladies. But that is all it is, just a way to show off to people.

Enjoy.

You spend your money on what you value. It's simply that.

You find a thread in which people post about some nice stuff they have and you react with...whatever it is you just posted. This says a lot about you. If you post something nice that you bought with your money (whether car, gun, watch, house, ring, whatever), I'm going to respond with something congratulatory. I'm not going to interject my opinion on how I'd never spend my money on that, it's pointless, you're a showoff, etc.

In short, get over yourself.

harlenm
09-28-2012, 10:26
This is what I've worn for the last few months.

http://i1188.photobucket.com/albums/z405/harlenm/20120810_100429.jpg

gruntmedik
09-28-2012, 10:26

Enjoy.

Ever think that the very same computer, cell phone, and meeting rooms are creating/causing FAR more stress than wearing a watch?

gruntmedik
09-28-2012, 10:34
People that say people have expensive watches just to show off. They say a $20 watch is just as good as a $10k watch. They say they have a clock on their cell phone.

Most likely the very same people with the latest iPhone/Android whizbang cellular device. Would the cheap ass pay-as-you-go phone not allow you to make calls?

It amazes me, that people will poo-poo you for spending your money how you see fit, yet get so defensive when someone poo-poo's them.

*ASH*
09-28-2012, 10:39
own alot of watches , but been wearing my Halios Puck for months .

2-8 Marine
09-28-2012, 10:45

2. A cheap watch works just as well as an expensive one. They both tell you the time of day. I can buy a
cheap watch for ten bucks. Sure, it might break in a couple years. Buy a new one. You can't say the same thing for guns. Cheap ones are less accurate, and far more likely to malfunction.

Enjoy.

Wow! All that to explain why YOU don't wear an expensive watch. You must have a lot of time on your hands. Unfortunately You missed my point entirely.
You don't want an expensive watch, Okay. Don't buy one. I got no beef with that. But Why cry and moan and piss on the idea that someone else might enjoy having, owning and wearing one? I think your last paragraph and especially the last line describes your attitude quite well. And, YES you are "Condeming and Complaining". You don't want one so why should anyone else. The world is not all about YOU! But, thanks . . . you missed my point but have proven it perfectly.

2-8 Marine
09-28-2012, 10:50
People that say people have expensive watches just to show off. They say a $20 watch is just as good as a $10k watch. They say they have a clock on their cell phone.

Most likely the very same people with the latest iPhone/Android whizbang cellular device. Would the cheap ass pay-as-you-go phone not allow you to make calls?

It amazes me, that people will poo-poo you for spending your money how you see fit, yet get so defensive when someone poo-poo's them.

Thank you Sir, my point exactly. :wavey:

roger123
09-28-2012, 11:41
Rolex Submariner that my wife got me for our 25th wedding anniversary. Love it.

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa49/somerorr/Misc/FC969C33-055C-4FCF-A0B3-3FE45C3EDFEB-673-0000010E1D5D9B26.jpg

GlockinNJ
09-28-2012, 12:28

That's a gorgeous watch. Maybe someday...

certifiedfunds
09-28-2012, 12:35
Do you wear two wedding rings?

Do you carry two guns?

Do you load-balance your pockets?

It isn't the watch causing his imbalance........

certifiedfunds
09-28-2012, 12:50

And you guys that just use your cell phones, it's the modern equivalent of the pocket watch. And just as convenient.

That is very nice. It would look nice on my wrist.

hey, whaddya know? It does look nice on my wrist. :supergrin:

certifiedfunds
09-28-2012, 12:53

Enjoy.

Maybe one day, if you can swing it, you'll change your mind and buy a decent watch.

Skeet732
09-28-2012, 12:54
I've worn a watch 24/7/365 for 50 years. My father would by a watch ~Timex-type and if I liked it a lot , he'd just take it off his wrist and give to me, still makes me smile and he's been dead 26 years. Currently I'm wearing a Omega Seamaster Chronometer. Two more Omegas and a Swatch watch at home. The watch my father wore in WW II and my godfather's gold pocket watch in the gun safe. I actually don't give a flying ******** what anyone thinks about the watch I wear

gruntmedik
09-28-2012, 12:59
Thank you Sir, my point exactly. :wavey:

:usmc:

fowl intent
09-28-2012, 13:01
I have a couple of old Seamasters, a TAG, and a few Invictas, but I have worn a Citizen Ecodrive for the past 3 years, and probably will continue wearing it until it wears out, or the sun stops shining.

fnfalman
09-28-2012, 13:07

Wrap that rascal.

fnfalman
09-28-2012, 13:13
1. I have no need for a watch. Clocks are all around me everywhere I go. They're on my computer (I can see the time right now, for example). They're in the halls where I work. They're in meeting rooms on the wall. Etc, etc. They're on my cell phone, there is a clock in my car. Worst case scenerio, I ask somebody nearby, they pull out their phone, and tell me. Basically, there is no need to own a watch.

There is no need to own a lot of things.

Whereas with guns, there often is a VERY REAL need.

Really? What "real" need? How many people have to defend themselves per capita? How many people have to hunt to support themselves? What's the "need" for owning a semiauto AK? A shotgun will serve plenty well for self-defense.

2. A cheap watch works just as well as an expensive one. They both tell you the time of day. I can buy a cheap watch for ten bucks. Sure, it might break in a couple years. Buy a new one. You can't say the same thing for guns. Cheap ones are less accurate, and far more likely to malfunction.[/quote]

A cheap car works just as well as an expensive car too, within limitations. So's a cheap gun. A Jenning will do just fine for 99% of the self-defense scenario.
. But that is all it is, just a way to show off to people.

Enjoy.

Hell yeah!!! If you got it, flaunt it.

fnfalman
09-28-2012, 13:16
Good taste in motorcycles too sir.

Aprilia rules!!! But that's for another thread.:supergrin:

fespo276
09-28-2012, 15:52
Rolex Sub-C. Every day, all day.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o86/fespo276/013-5.jpg

Jason D
09-28-2012, 16:44
I wear a hundred dollar watch so I can buy guns.

ArtificialGrape
09-28-2012, 16:57
Casio G-Shock AWGM100B-1ACR solar atomic

Roger1079
09-28-2012, 17:08

That is my $4300 Breitling with my $8500 Rolex sitting on my $2000 (with mods) 1911. I have all of them because I wanted them, not out of necessity. My Glocks are all more reliable than that 1911, but that Kimber's trigger pulls like warm butter and is the most accurate pistol I own. Both of the watches either lose or gain about a second daily. Just about any $10 watch at Walmart will tell better time. For what I get in satisfaction with those watches, the loss of time is worth it, and quite frankly, a second (at least in my life) makes no difference.

I used to be of the same mindset that watches were unnecessary and pointless. I actually even though a buddy of mine was an idiot for spending nearly $8000 on a Chanel J12 Chrono in black ceramic about 9 years ago. My opinions soon changed. My appreciation for high end Swiss watches comes from watching multiple documentaries as to what goes into them as far as craftsmanship. A watch with an automatic movement is just about one of the most complicated feats of engineering that there is. Hundreds of tiny moving parts in cases about an inch in diameter. As far as I am concerned, they are pieces of art as well as jewelry. The fact that they also tell time is a bonus to me.

I also have a 1992 Ford Mustang GT as a toy. It has a $9000 331 crate motor in it making 681hp through a Vortech supercharger. The car is worth about 20% of what the engine cost by itself. I also did that because I love it. Wrenching is my next hobby to my guns. Will all of you who were so critical about how I spent my money on my wrist jewelry also be critical of my car project because my total investment is way more than the value of the base?

Just a curiosity question there.....

Also, to the people that said the Rolex was for attention, the model I bought (Stainless Steel Submariner Date) is actually the most counterfeited watch there is. Counterfeit production of that particular watch is nearly 10 times the actual annual production numbers in genuine ones. I have had it since last Saturday and already been asked on 3 occasions if it is fake and complemented on it once. If I bought it for attention, I sure as heck bought the wrong model.

jtull7
09-28-2012, 17:18
Rolex Oyster Perpetual Stainless for me. My sweet wife bought it for me the last time we were in London, back (way back) when we had some money.

CitizenOfDreams
09-28-2012, 17:28

Brand new, never used, only dropped once? :supergrin:

Roger1079
09-28-2012, 17:54
Rolex Sub-C. Every day, all day.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o86/fespo276/013-5.jpgVery nice. Exact same model I bought. I was looking for a pre 2010 model originally because I like the look of the tapered lugs much better, but when I saw how much nicer the ceramic bezel looked over the black aluminum one I was sold and went with the new one instead. The blue color the markers have when illuminated is also much nicer in my opinion.

camelotkid
09-28-2012, 18:02
chase-durer squadron commander
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx36/camelotkid/chasedurersquadroncommander2.jpg

podwich
09-28-2012, 18:49

That is my $4300 Breitling with my $8500 Rolex sitting on my $2000 (with mods) 1911. I have all of them because I wanted them, not out of necessity. My Glocks are all more reliable than that 1911, but that Kimber's trigger pulls like warm butter and is the most accurate pistol I own. Both of the watches either lose or gain about a second daily. Just about any $10 watch at Walmart will tell better time. For what I get in satisfaction with those watches, the loss of time is worth it, and quite frankly, a second (at least in my life) makes no difference.

I used to be of the same mindset that watches were unnecessary and pointless. I actually even though a buddy of mine was an idiot for spending nearly $8000 on a Chanel J12 Chrono in black ceramic about 9 years ago. My opinions soon changed. My appreciation for high end Swiss watches comes from watching multiple documentaries as to what goes into them as far as craftsmanship. A watch with an automatic movement is just about one of the most complicated feats of engineering that there is. Hundreds of tiny moving parts in cases about an inch in diameter. As far as I am concerned, they are pieces of art as well as jewelry. The fact that they also tell time is a bonus to me.

I also have a 1992 Ford Mustang GT as a toy. It has a $9000 331 crate motor in it making 681hp through a Vortech supercharger. The car is worth about 20% of what the engine cost by itself. I also did that because I love it. Wrenching is my next hobby to my guns. Will all of you who were so critical about how I spent my money on my wrist jewelry also be critical of my car project because my total investment is way more than the value of the base?

Just a curiosity question there.....

Also, to the people that said the Rolex was for attention, the model I bought (Stainless Steel Submariner Date) is actually the most counterfeited watch there is. Counterfeit production of that particular watch is nearly 10 times the actual annual production numbers in genuine ones. I have had it since last Saturday and already been asked on 3 occasions if it is fake and complemented on it once. If I bought it for attention, I sure as heck bought the wrong model.

You're such an idiot for spending that much money on a watch! Cars and guns are cool so that's OK.

Seriously, nice watches (and gun).

I wear an Omega Planet Ocean, one of a couple Luminoxes, and a Seiko Coutura. The Omega gets most of the wrist time, though. :)

Roger1079
09-28-2012, 18:57
You're such an idiot for spending that much money on a watch! Cars and guns are cool so that's OK.

Seriously, nice watches (and gun).

I wear an Omega Planet Ocean, one of a couple Luminoxes, and a Seiko Coutura. The Omega gets most of the wrist time, though. :)I'll tell you this with all seriousness. All of my watches run better than the car. Once you bypass the 500hp mark at the wheels just about all reliability goes out the window (with the exception of newer models like the Shelby GT500 and Corvette ZR-1). Mine breaks parts on a regular basis. The car has been nothing but a moneypit although I enjoy every bit of it and wouldn't even consider getting rid of it unless someone offered me a ridiculous amount for it.

As far as the watches go, the Omega Planet Ocean is a very nice watch. The Planet Ocean Chrono with the orange bezel was on my list when I was looking for my last watch.

AZ Jeff
09-28-2012, 20:06
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/Lone_Wolfe_/Rocks%20and%20Rings/Outside3.jpg

You have a pretty wrist, Lone Wolfe!!:supergrin:

AZ Jeff
09-28-2012, 20:07

You know, FnFALman, lots of times you are FOS, but I gotta say, that is one NICE looking watch!!

CBennett
09-28-2012, 20:21
For work Gshock mudman

for off work either a Luminox Colormark OR a GerLach P series limited edition(350 made)

USMCsilver
09-28-2012, 20:24
Rolex GMT-IIc
TAG Professional Diver
Titanium Tissot T-Touch
...and various Seikos on occasion.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Tab via Tapatalk2

RageEffect
09-28-2012, 20:36
Seiko monster, Nite mx10(tritium), g-shock mudman, times expedition. I want a deep blue with the flat tritium tubes next which will probably end up taking wrist time away from the monster.

beatcop
09-28-2012, 20:40
http://www.makedostudio.com/watches/seiko-divers/albums/album09/DSC03840.jpg

80's Seiko Diver for retro look.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKhbIz0uM3TLdsTtV_By4jKdm-4eJ25bMugk77Zoxv9C1nF-t0ig

Fake GMT because I'd rather buy guns & gear!

Lone_Wolfe
09-28-2012, 20:56
You have a pretty wrist, Lone Wolfe!!:supergrin:

Thank you, Jeff. See the guys are right, chicks do go crazy over Rolexes. Crazy enough to buy our own. :supergrin:

Indianashooter
09-28-2012, 20:59
Gee, I feel under dressed wearing a little bitty Timex.

Fed Five Oh
09-28-2012, 21:04
Invicta Pro Diver Automatic.

Looks like a Rolex Submariner.

Costs 1/50th of the rolex.

Keeps better time than the rolex.

Blondes can't tell the difference.

Makes submariner owners stomp their hankies.

rockymtnhorror
09-28-2012, 21:05
An inexpensive Casio. That way I don't care if anything happens to it. Plus that way I have more money for guns and ammo.

Rick C
09-28-2012, 21:07
Beat up 14 yr old Seiko Divers w/ faded Pepsi dial. Ditched the metal band for a plain nylon Maratac. Works for me.:wavey:

podwich
09-28-2012, 21:12
I'll tell you this with all seriousness. All of my watches run better than the car. Once you bypass the 500hp mark at the wheels just about all reliability goes out the window (with the exception of newer models like the Shelby GT500 and Corvette ZR-1). Mine breaks parts on a regular basis. The car has been nothing but a moneypit although I enjoy every bit of it and wouldn't even consider getting rid of it unless someone offered me a ridiculous amount for it.

As far as the watches go, the Omega Planet Ocean is a very nice watch. The Planet Ocean Chrono with the orange bezel was on my list when I was looking for my last watch.

Sounds fun. And, for the record (in case it wasn't obvious), my first line of text was intended as sarcasm. :)

KalashniKEV
09-28-2012, 21:32
Very nice. Exact same model I bought. I was looking for a pre 2010 model originally...

All the 43mm Subs (or for you hip hoppers, "da big face Rollie") are gaudy. The ROLEX-ROLEX-ROLEX-ROLEX-ROLEX chapter ring just makes it worse. I think the Ceramic was a special request by the Arabs (or maybe Chinese?) in collaboration with the hip hoppers to make the new Subs "da bomb diggs" (aka "terrible") and the old Subs expensive and awesome.

Fake GMT because I'd rather buy guns & gear!

Disgusting.

Please have some decency and keep Invicta out of this thread. Thank you.

Lone_Wolfe
09-28-2012, 21:36
Please have some decency and keep Invicta out of this thread. Thank you.

So because you don't like something, that means others can't, either? :upeyes:

Fed Five Oh
09-28-2012, 21:43
Please have some decency and keep Invicta out of this thread. Thank you.And the hankie stomping begins.

camelotkid
09-28-2012, 21:47
So because you don't like something, that means others can't, either? :upeyes:
yep 'cause I love checking out pics of high points in gun porn threads :whistling:

Lone_Wolfe
09-28-2012, 21:55
yep 'cause I love checking out pics of high points in gun porn threads :whistling:

To each, his own opinion. I don't like Hi-points or Invictas either, but I'm not going to try to tell you not to post them.

Fed Five Oh
09-28-2012, 22:02
yep 'cause I love checking out pics of high points in gun porn threads :whistling:If Hi-Point made a 1911 that was as reliable as an Ed Brown, looked like an Ed Brown, but sold for 1/50th of the price of an Ed Brown, you would whine because why?

camelotkid
09-28-2012, 22:15
If Hi-Point made a 1911 that was as reliable as an Ed Brown, looked like an Ed Brown, but sold for 1/50th of the price of an Ed Brown, you would whine because why?
I don't know kind of the same reason that I would not want to have a ferrari clone built on a pontiac fiero, If you can't have the real thing why bother. Life is too short.

Fed Five Oh
09-28-2012, 22:23
I don't know kind of the same reason that I would not want to have a ferrari clone built on a pontiac fiero, If you can't have the real thing why bother. Life is too short.I see, so everythiing being equal, you would rather pay more for the name.

Makes sense. NOT!!!!!!

Sigmund Freud had a theory about people like that.

Andy W
09-28-2012, 22:27
Citizen Eco-Drive chronograph. It was my first quality watch. When I bought jsut a couple months shy of 3 years ago it I really started getting into watches and was going to save up and buy a Tag Heuer but then I decided the Eco-Drive worked fine and would rather spend my money on beer and guns. I still wouldn't mind owning a quality automatic watch though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

professorpinki
09-28-2012, 22:33
If we're going to keep the Invicta's out we need to boot all the luminoxes and casio's of various makes and citizens and... so on.

Andy W
09-28-2012, 22:33
I see, so everythiing being equal, you would rather pay more for the name.

Makes sense. NOT!!!!!!

Many would say the type of person who would wear a fake Rolex are essentially fake people. Just sayin'

Fed Five Oh
09-28-2012, 22:42
Many would say the type of person who would wear a fake Rolex are essentially fake people. Just sayin'

It says Invicta right on the dial.

Try again.

Andy W
09-28-2012, 22:54
It says Invicta right on the dial.

Try again.

Yeah Invicta's aren't outright knockoffs of Rolex but it's obvious what they are trying to look like. That's fine. The Rolex Submariner is a really cool looking but still elegant design but not everyone can afford one. I was referring more to outright counterfits of Rolex, which is what I thought you were talking about at first. Then I read back a little further. I wasn't talking about Invicta.

You know, I like Rolex watches but I'm not sure I'd ever want to wear one. From what I've heard, they have an un-rivaled penchant for attracting unwanted attention (Thugs, dumasses, etc.) I think I'd rather have something like an Omega Seamaster or a Tag Heuer. They are arguably just as nice but they don't attract near the attention that a Rolex would.

professorpinki
09-28-2012, 23:16
Never saw a Rolex that said CCCP on it.

Peace Warrior
09-28-2012, 23:26
I cannot say 'never,' well, yeah, I can say never as it applies in the figurative sense for me, so here goes, "I never wear a watch." (And I see no use for pocket watches.) So everyone please just tel me the time when I ask. :embarassed: Thanks. :wavey:

harlenm
09-28-2012, 23:27
If we're going to keep the Invicta's out we need to boot all the luminoxes and casio's of various makes and citizens and... so on.

Come on, you can't group Casio and Citizen together!

fnfalman
09-29-2012, 01:07
I wear a hundred dollar watch so I can buy guns.

I wear several thousand dollars watches and I still can buy plenty of guns.

fnfalman
09-29-2012, 01:09
I think I'd rather have something like an Omega Seamaster or a Tag Heuer. They are arguably just as nice but they don't attract near the attention that a Rolex would.

Uh huh, a Glock is "just as nice" as a hand-fitted Wilson Combat too.:whistling:

fnfalman
09-29-2012, 01:11

Makes sense. NOT!!!!!!

Are you saying that a Fiero with a body kit is the same as a Ferrari?

Yeah, Sigmund Freud had a theory about people like that too. He called them CRAZIES!!!

fnfalman
09-29-2012, 01:12
If Hi-Point made a 1911 that was as reliable as an Ed Brown, looked like an Ed Brown, but sold for 1/50th of the price of an Ed Brown, you would whine because why?

Because it still wouldn't be a Colt. If it's not a Colt, then it's a copy. I don't care if it's Ed Brown, Ted Yost, or Hephaestus himself crafted an M1911. If it ain't a Colt, it's a copy.

cgjane
09-29-2012, 01:23
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/gw4k/PVD%20ROLEX/45c98644.jpg

fnfalman
09-29-2012, 01:25
Seadweller 4000. I can dig it.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/gw4k/PVD%20ROLEX/45c98644.jpg

AirCav
09-29-2012, 01:46
current go-to favorite

a couple currently relegated to riding the bench...

ranger88
09-29-2012, 04:40
I wear a Rolex GMT-II Master everyday since 1997. Just bought the wife a Rolex Yachtmaster men's model (her preference) in Gold and Stainless a few years ago for her 30th birthday. :supergrin:

GreenDrake
09-29-2012, 04:47
AirCav, you have bueno taste. Love that set. The Planet Ocean got my watch bug back in gear and the Sinn is a beautifully crafted line.

GreenDrake
09-29-2012, 04:49
Beat up 14 yr old Seiko Divers w/ faded Pepsi dial. Ditched the metal band for a plain nylon Maratac. Works for me.:wavey:

Probably the longest lasting most worn watch I own. I bought it at a Seiko outlet in Maine about 20 years ago, pepsi bezel Seiko Automatic diver....the thing still is a fantastic watch to own.

certifiedfunds
09-29-2012, 05:43
You know, I like Rolex watches but I'm not sure I'd ever want to wear one. From what I've heard, they have an un-rivaled penchant for attracting unwanted attention (Thugs, dumasses, etc.)

That's just silly. Do you insist on driving a primered beater car so you won't get carjacked?

Don't wear it on your vacation to Nigeria and you should be ok.

Roger1079
09-29-2012, 05:53
Sounds fun. And, for the record (in case it wasn't obvious), my first line of text was intended as sarcasm. :)The car is a blast to drive when it works. There is something about being able to start the tires spinning at a 70mph roll that just puts a smile on my face. The same can be said for the lopey idle that shakes the entire car. Unfortunately it spends more time on the lift at the shop than it does on the road.

And yes, I know it was sarcasm. I think I might have taken that course in college at some point. :supergrin:

Roger1079
09-29-2012, 06:04
So because you don't like something, that means others can't, either? :upeyes:Actually unless my sarcasm detector is broken all of a sudden, I think that entire post was quite full of it.

HexHead
09-29-2012, 06:21
Very nice. The Yachtmaster is an underappreciated model. Never understood what the fuss was until I tried one on.

The dial and the bezel insert are solid Platinum. The lugs are curved differently than on a Sub, so the watch wears flatter. All the links are solid. The Sub I had before was very light weight in comparison, this weighs as much as a Panerai I had. I like that it's actually kind of stealthy in that it doesn't look like a Sub. And I love the red lettering, a nod to some of the most collectable Rolexes, and the red second hand.

Roger1079
09-29-2012, 06:30
That's just silly. Do you insist on driving a primered beater car so you won't get carjacked?

Don't wear it on your vacation to Nigeria and you should be ok.Believe it or not, this Submariner has garnered me more attention from strangers in the 1 week I have owned it than both of my Breitlings did over the last several years, and the Navitimer sticks out like a sore thumb with the huge dial.

As of last night, 5 total strangers now made mention of it. 3 of them asked if it was fake, one complemented me on it, and the last one was actually the one that surprised me the most.

It was a merchant selling cell phone accessories at a center kiosk at my local mall. I was walking by and out of nowhere I hear him say "Is that a Submariner Date or a GMT Master? I can't tell from this distance." I replied with, "It's a fake." and continued walking. He then responded with "Bull****, sell it to me then. I'll give you $500 for it right now. Nice profit for you on a fake watch." I just kept walking without saying anything else.

Obviously the guy could tell it was genuine, but from literally 15 feet away while walking this took me by total surprise. I love the watch, but actually don't really care for the attention that it definitely attracts. If it keeps up like this, the SuperOcean might be returned to daily wear and the Rolex left for special occasions.

GlockinNJ
09-29-2012, 06:36
Obviously the guy could tell it was genuine, but from literally 15 feet away while walking this took me by total surprise. I love the watch, but actually don't really care for the attention that it definitely attracts. If it keeps up like this, the SuperOcean might be returned to daily wear and the Rolex left for special occasions.

and that's the problem with nice watches - you can become a target by wearing one. I don't own a Rolex but if I did, I would limit myself to wearing it someplace safe, like work. I would never wear it walking around NYC for example.

Roger1079
09-29-2012, 06:41
The dial and the bezel insert are solid Platinum. The lugs are curved differently than on a Sub, so the watch wears flatter. All the links are solid. The Sub I had before was very light weight in comparison, this weighs as much as a Panerai I had. I like that it's actually kind of stealthy in that it doesn't look like a Sub. And I love the red lettering, a nod to some of the most collectable Rolexes, and the red second hand.That watch is gorgeous. I love how the steel dial looks with that bezel. Those lugs were actually why I was originally looking for a pre 2010 Sub. They match the curves of the watch so much better than the new versions wider lugs.

HexHead
09-29-2012, 06:41
To each, his own opinion. I don't like Hi-points or Invictas either, but I'm not going to try to tell you not to post them.

At least Invicta is a legitimate brand that stands on it's own. I have far more respect for someone that wears a Sub looking Invicta than a fake Rolex.

HexHead
09-29-2012, 06:43
The watch is gorgeous. I love how the steel dial looks with that bezel.

The dial is solid platinum.

Roger1079
09-29-2012, 06:47
The dial is solid platinum.I know. I was referring to the color of the dial with that bezel. Rolex refers to the dial color as "steel". You definitely know your history too. The Sea Dwellers you are referring to with the red text on the dial are some of the most sought after watches that the company has ever produced.

HexHead
09-29-2012, 06:58
You know, I like Rolex watches but I'm not sure I'd ever want to wear one. From what I've heard, they have an un-rivaled penchant for attracting unwanted attention (Thugs, dumasses, etc.) I think I'd rather have something like an Omega Seamaster or a Tag Heuer. They are arguably just as nice but they don't attract near the attention that a Rolex would.

I've been wearing Rolexes since 1983, my YachtMaster is my fifth one. In all that time, I've has one person ask if it was a real one. It was a mid-size DateJust (which you practically never see) which might have prompted the question. I purposely bought that one because it was stealthier than the typical DateJust. I've had two people comment about my current one. One was a guy that had just gotten one of the new DateJust II models, and the other was a guy wearing a TT GMT that was thinking about trading up. So much for all that attention they draw.
Omega makes a nice watch, at one point between my wife and I we had nine of them. Granted, they've stepped up their game with the Co-axial movements, but I never had one that ran as well as any of my Rolexes. Not in terms of accuracy nor power reserve. And to compare a Tag to a Rolex is just, well laughable.

Of all the watches I've had, this is the one that garnered the most attention and comments...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/scat999999/misc/IWC1.jpg

Absolutely, the most comfortable bracelet ever, too.

Roger1079
09-29-2012, 07:15
At least Invicta is a legitimate brand that stands on it's own. I have far more respect for someone that wears a Sub looking Invicta than a fake Rolex.Agreed. Invicta also has a few models that are similar in appearance to the Breitling for Bentley line. As the saying goes, imitation is the greatest form of flattery.

That being said, I would take ANY Invicta over a fake rolex.

2-8 Marine
09-29-2012, 07:52

But in fact it IS NOT a Submariner. :rofl:

cgjane
09-29-2012, 08:07
[QUOTE=fnfalman;19466812]Seadweller 4000. I can dig it.[/QUOTE

I love the seadweller, it's my favorite Rolex:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/gw4k/Other%20Watches/8dbe2625.jpg

Never had the itch for a submariner because I have a 1966 Tudor snowflake:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/gw4k/tudor/97947e89.jpg

And the only Omega I own:
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y218/gw4k/Other%20Watches/51afea57.jpg

2-8 Marine
09-29-2012, 08:13

Makes sense. NOT!!!!!!

Do you really believe when you purchase a high end, quality product that's been around for years and sells millions steadily for those years that you're only paying for the name? ie: Rolex is exactly like a Timex except for the name.

JDennis
09-29-2012, 08:17
It depends on what I am doing on what watch I wear. Have 2 Breitlings for work, a tag I never wear anymore, a tissot and my beater watch and one of my favorites a Reactor. The reactor is a beast and lifetime warrantied against breaking (other than the crystal) and was only a few hundred bucks. And believe it or not, get way more compliments from non-watch aficianado's on the tissot and reactor than the Breitlings.

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac174/JGDennisJr/Chrono-1.jpg

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac174/JGDennisJr/Tissot2.jpg

http://i897.photobucket.com/albums/ac174/JGDennisJr/Colt-2.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/516lv1L3vwL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

2-8 Marine
09-29-2012, 08:30
Yeah Invicta's aren't outright knockoffs of Rolex but it's obvious what they are trying to look like. That's fine. The Rolex Submariner is a really cool looking but still elegant design but not everyone can afford one. I was referring more to outright counterfits of Rolex, which is what I thought you were talking about at first. Then I read back a little further. I wasn't talking about Invicta.

With all respect, what you've heard is wrong. I've worn a Rolex of one type or another everyday for the past 30 years and on only TWO occasions has anyone noticed that I was wearing a Rolex. Yes, I've heard occasional comments like "nice watch" and such but only twice was it actually recognized as being a Rolex. Most people won't recognize a Rolex when they do see one. In all your travels and dealings with people yesterday, how many times did you notice anyones watch? Unless you're into watches, probably the answer is none. :dunno:

Rancher
09-29-2012, 08:36
Just got a new Rolex Sub c SS date within the last month or so. Thanks to the folks here for pointing me to TRF, great place to buy. It is my second Sub, got my first when I was a 23 yo. LEO. Had sold it my wifes last year of medical school after wearing it for years to help buy a new vehicle. Think I made around $900 on the sale. So glad to have another on my wrist, like having an old friend back in my life. Really like the improvements/changes on the new Sub's.

I also have a Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish X-Plus with the professional one series bracelet collecting dust for now. Nice watch, just not a Sub. I have a nice $400 Luminox that is also stainless I wear with a Zulu strap on occasion, nice watch. Running and swimming I wear a Timex Ironman.

Been a "watch guy" since age 12 when I got my first Citizen, always a diver style. Guess it is hard for some to understand. Scum will try and rob you for anything, but hopefully CC will prevent any issues! I am not going to not wear something or drive something out of fear. Just not in my DNA. Weird reading on a gun board how some are afraid to do or wear something out of fear of it being taken from them.

Rancher

2-8 Marine
09-29-2012, 08:42
and that's the problem with nice watches - you can become a target by wearing one. I don't own a Rolex but if I did, I would limit myself to wearing it someplace safe, like work. I would never wear it walking around NYC for example.

and that's the problem with nice cars - you can become a target by driving one. I don't own a BMW but if I did, I would limit myself to driving it someplace safe, like work. I would never drive it around NYC for example. :whistling:

Ridiculous! :rofl:

07 LMB Z06
09-29-2012, 08:48
current go-to favorite

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d155/casino21/81e4af99.jpg

Nice! I've been trying to decide whether I want that watch (but non-UTC with rubber strap) for a while now - can't make up my mind.

Currently wear this:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg264/crahockey11/IMG_1588.jpg

Marine123
09-29-2012, 08:52

I have had 2 Breitlings. One Chrono SuperOcean and a Navitimer World (The Navitimer was just recently sold) and this past week I picked up a brand spanking new 2012 SS Rolex Submariner Date. I also have a Luminox 3081.BO for the manual labor.

Anyone else with a similar addiction? I would love to know I'm not the only one with a second ridiculously expensive hobby.

Yes I am guilty, I used to collect watches, I had about 12 but my economic status right now doesn't allow me to buy more I had to sell a couple. :(

Rustydude
09-29-2012, 09:23
Nope, no watch, don't need one. my wife will let me know what time it is. such as, it's time to go to work, its time to walk the dog, its time to fix the garage door, its time to stop at her mothers...... when she is not around, I can simply ask the Girlfriend what time it is

professorpinki
09-29-2012, 09:32
[/B]

With all respect, what you've heard is wrong. I've worn a Rolex of one type or another everyday for the past 30 years and on only TWO occasions has anyone noticed that I was wearing a Rolex. Yes, I've heard occasional comments like "nice watch" and such but only twice was it actually recognized as being a Rolex. Most people won't recognize a Rolex when they do see one. In all your travels and dealings with people yesterday, how many times did you notice anyones watch? Unless you're into watches, probably the answer is none. :dunno:
Some people consider it common courtesy to not point out the fact that someone is wearing a watch of significant value, just like some people consider it to be common courtesy to not remark on the abundance or lack of abundance of money in someone else's wallet at the check out line... but people do notice.

Leigh
09-29-2012, 09:41
At least Invicta is a legitimate brand that stands on it's own. I have far more respect for someone that wears a Sub looking Invicta than a fake Rolex.

Outside of their overly large models, Invicta has copied every other watch on the planet. Not bashing them, just a simple fact.

I own a dozen or so watches, one being an Invicta 'Sub homage' but they are what they are; inexpensive timepeices.

I also wear Timex Expeditions and cheap Casio G-Shocks...it's all good.

Lone_Wolfe
09-29-2012, 09:42
Actually unless my sarcasm detector is broken all of a sudden, I think that entire post was quite full of it.

He pulls that crap most every time we have a watch thread here.

2-8 Marine
09-29-2012, 10:14
Some people consider it common courtesy to not point out the fact that someone is wearing a watch of significant value, just like some people consider it to be common courtesy to not remark on the abundance or lack of abundance of money in someone else's wallet at the check out line... but people do notice.

I call "BS". First, you can't possibly determine any real number of people who even noticed or didn't notice my watch. Secondly, two people recognizing my Rolex - a real number by the way - out of all the hundreds of thousands of people I've come in contact with in 30 years, that's one hell of a lot of courtious people by my estimation. :rofl:
By the way, you failed to address the last part of my post you quoted . . . how many watches did you notice on the people you came in contact with yesterday?

certifiedfunds
09-29-2012, 10:29

Just like a Rolex....... except its a cheap piece of junk and everyone knows it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

certifiedfunds
09-29-2012, 10:30
Believe it or not, this Submariner has garnered me more attention from strangers in the 1 week I have owned it than both of my Breitlings did over the last several years, and the Navitimer sticks out like a sore thumb with the huge dial.

As of last night, 5 total strangers now made mention of it. 3 of them asked if it was fake, one complemented me on it, and the last one was actually the one that surprised me the most.

It was a merchant selling cell phone accessories at a center kiosk at my local mall. I was walking by and out of nowhere I hear him say "Is that a Submariner Date or a GMT Master? I can't tell from this distance." I replied with, "It's a fake." and continued walking. He then responded with "Bull****, sell it to me then. I'll give you $500 for it right now. Nice profit for you on a fake watch." I just kept walking without saying anything else.

I've never been asked once -- not a single time -- if my watches were fake. In fact, I have only received polite compliments on occasion.

And I've never been mugged for it.

Were I to be mugged, I would simply buy a new one the next day and let my homeowners company figure out the damage.

Hef
09-29-2012, 10:43
My iPhone shows the time, as does my desktop, and there's a clock in every one of my vehicles. I don't need a watch. Besides, it isn't safe to wear one while operating woodworking machinery or power tools.

professorpinki
09-29-2012, 10:46
I call "BS". First, you can't possibly determine any real number of people who even noticed or didn't notice my watch. Secondly, two people recognizing my Rolex - a real number by the way - out of all the hundreds of thousands of people I've come in contact with in 30 years, that's one hell of a lot of courtious people by my estimation. :rofl:
By the way, you failed to address the last part of my post you quoted . . . how many watches did you notice on the people you came in contact with yesterday?

3 breitlings, a handful of Rolexes, two g-shocks, one luminox... and a plethora of cheap crap.

gruntmedik
09-29-2012, 10:47

Out of all the outstanding watches in this thread, this is one I've wanted for a while now.

Nice watch. :thumbsup:

GlockinNJ
09-29-2012, 10:55
and that's the problem with nice cars - you can become a target by driving one. I don't own a BMW but if I did, I would limit myself to driving it someplace safe, like work. I would never drive it around NYC for example. :whistling:

Ridiculous! :rofl:

Uh, I think you just confirmed my point. I would never drive a nice car in NYC, unless I had to.

Fed Five Oh
09-29-2012, 10:59
Just like a Rolex....... except its a cheap piece of junk and everyone knows it.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.And the hankie stomping continues.

Question. If my cheap piece of junk keeps better time than a Rolex, wouldn't that make a Rolex a terribly expensive piece of junk?

2-8 Marine
09-29-2012, 11:38
Uh, I think you just confirmed my point. I would never drive a nice car in NYC, unless I had to.

The point is, millions of people drive expensive cars, wear expensive watches, jewelry, clothes, hand bags, shoes. sums of money, ie: valuables, etc in major cities, suburbs, country settings all over the country without being robbed, mugged, murdered and so on. The question is if you're so damned afraid for your possessions, why limit it to just your watch? Do you only wear jeans and a sweatshirt everywhere? Do you never carry money on your person? :dunno:

2-8 Marine
09-29-2012, 11:41
3 breitlings, a handful of Rolexes, two g-shocks, one luminox... and a plethora of cheap crap.

And this proves what? How does this substantiate in anyway your original comment? I see you ignored the question yet again. Come on, you're a professor. You can come up with an answer. :supergrin:

2-8 Marine
09-29-2012, 11:45
My iPhone shows the time, as does my desktop, and there's a clock in every one of my vehicles. I don't need a watch. Besides, it isn't safe to wear one while operating woodworking machinery or power tools.
Not good for you or the watch. I salute your common sense Sir. A very valid reason indeed. :wavey:

maxmanta
09-29-2012, 12:11

Breitling Colt Ocean Quartz that I've worn every single day for the past twelve years. It's actually made an indentation in my wrist. There's no other watch that I want.

michael e
09-29-2012, 12:11
Fossil, cheap and I like them. Good enought for me, it tells me the time and thats all i need.

Anglin_AZ
09-29-2012, 12:34
Sometimes it'shard to choose...

http://imgur.com/wqmgv.jpg

professorpinki
09-29-2012, 12:41
And this proves what? How does this substantiate in anyway your original comment? I see you ignored the question yet again. Come on, you're a professor. You can come up with an answer. :supergrin:
Actually, not a professor.

I answered your question that you posed directly.

My point is that just because people don't say anything or seem to notice doesn't mean they don't notice at all. Every movement you do makes you judged by those around you - even by the prissy Paris Hilton and Nicky Minaj wannabee teens. And, certain actions and things that surround you enhance the motive of would be attackers. Like not locking your doors. But you should know that, being that you're on here at Glock Talk, and being that your handle suggests you were in the Corps. Lack of having been attacked yourself does not equate to lack of risk of attack.

Jack23
09-29-2012, 12:53
I have 3 watches that I wear for appropriate occasions.

. Timex Explorer - huntin', shootin', fishin' workin', etc
. Elgin Gold/Stainless steel with one diamond - for medium nice
. Wife and I have matching Fossil watches for super nice.

Hef
09-29-2012, 12:59
Not good for you or the watch. I salute your common sense Sir. A very valid reason indeed. :wavey:

Thank you. I've worked for and with guys who are missing fingers from accidents on table saws and chop saws, and I have friends who are amputees. I refuse to join them. I was taught in 8th grade shop class not to wear jewelry or anything else that might get caught in a machine, and have heeded my shop teacher's warnings my whole life.

Roger1079
09-29-2012, 13:15
I've never been asked once -- not a single time -- if my watches were fake. In fact, I have only received polite compliments on occasion.

And I've never been mugged for it.

Were I to be mugged, I would simply buy a new one the next day and let my homeowners company figure out the damage.The only thing I can guess is that I look young (early 30's) and when not at work I am normally in sandals, a tshirt, and jean shorts. Not the attire most people would associate with someone wearing an expensive watch. It is just like when I walked into Cadillac to buy my last car. I was completely ignored for about 20 minutes before I finally approached a salesman for assistance. I can only attribute it to the fact that I was dressed as I mentioned above when I walked in the door.

devildog2067
09-29-2012, 13:42

The cheap automatic movement that Invicta uses in the Pro Diver series is a seriously nice movement for $25. When I built watches for my groomsmen a few years ago, that's the base movement that I used.

But if you honestly think a Miyota 8215 beating at 21.6 kbph can keep "better" time than a COSC certified 3135 beating at 28.8 kpbh, you have another think coming.

Roger1079
09-29-2012, 13:46
And the hankie stomping continues.

Question. If my cheap piece of junk keeps better time than a Rolex, wouldn't that make a Rolex a terribly expensive piece of junk?I am not an Invicta basher in any way, however I assure you that under almost all conditions, the Invicta Pro Diver DOES NOT keep more accurate time than a Rolex.

The Invicta uses a Swiss Sellita SW200 movement which is adjusted for 4 positions. The Submariner uses a Rolex 3135 movement which is adjusted for 5 positions and also temperature variation. Positions are dial down, dial up, crown down, crown up, and so on. What this means is that in those adjusted positions, the watch movement is less likely to have a variance in seconds.

Common sense will tell you that more adjusted positions as well as taking other factors into account will equate to a more accurate timepiece. No automatic movement is perfect, and ALL of them will lose or gain seconds over the course of a day, but your statement about the Invicta being more accurate than a Rolex is completely inaccurate.

2-8 Marine
09-29-2012, 13:49
Actually, not a professor.

I though maybe not, that's why the :supergrin:

I answered your question that you posed directly.

The question was, Of all the people you came in contact with yesterday, how many of their watches did you notice. I never saw an answer direct or otherwise.

My point is that just because people don't say anything or seem to notice doesn't mean they don't notice at all.

This is the only valid comment you've made regarding my original post that you quoted. But, you have absolutely no way of knowing how many people may or maynot have noticed my watch over a 30 year span. Do you?

Every movement you do makes you judged by those around you - even by the prissy Paris Hilton and Nicky Minaj wannabee teens. And, certain actions and things that surround you enhance the motive of would be attackers. Like not locking your doors. But you should know that, being that you're on here at Glock Talk, and being that your handle suggests you were in the Corps. Lack of having been attacked yourself does not equate to lack of risk of attack.

None of this last paragraph has anything to do with my original post that we've been discussing. Just more "BS".

Roger1079
09-29-2012, 13:50
The cheap automatic movement that Invicta uses in the Pro Diver series is a seriously nice movement for $25. When I built watches for my groomsmen a few years ago, that's the base movement that I used.

But if you honestly think a Miyota 8215 beating at 21.6 kbph can keep "better" time than a COSC certified 3135 beating at 28.8 kpbh, you have another think coming.When I looked up the Invicta SWISS AUTOMATIC PRO DIVER
Model 9937 the Sellita SW200 movement came up as the installed movement. Are they using Japanese movements in some of their Diver Pro's?

devildog2067
09-29-2012, 13:59
When I looked up the Invicta SWISS AUTOMATIC PRO DIVER
Model 9937 the Sellita SW200 movement came up as the installed movement. Are they using Japanese movements in some of their Diver Pro's?

The cheaper Pro Divers (the 89xx series) uses the Miyota, the more expensive ones (the 99xx series) used ETA 2824 or 2836s until a few years ago, and now use the Sellita SW200 or SW300 (clones of the 2824/2836).

Both the Sellita and Miyota movements come out of Chinese factories. The Sellitas are assembled in Switzerland, to Swiss specs with Swiss quality control. I've torn down several of those movements and they are quite good.

However, again--if you expect the lowest-grade ETA or Sellita movement to perform to the same level as a COSC certified 3135, you're going to be sorely disappointed. The ETA 28xx ebauche is a fantastic, well-designed movement, but it takes a lot of careful tweaking to make one run to within COSC specs. A lot of the lowest-grade ones never will.

Fed Five Oh
09-29-2012, 14:20
No automatic movement is perfect, and ALL of them will lose or gain seconds over the course of a day, but your statement about the Invicta being more accurate than a Rolex is completely inaccurate.I didn't say all Invicta's are more accurate than all Rolex's.

The question was if my cheap piece of junk Invicta keeps better time than a Rolex, doesn't that make the Rolex a terribly expensive piece of junk?

My buddy has a submariner. My invicta Pro Diver keeps better time. Pisses him off to no end. Add to that his wife thinks the pro diver looks better than his submariner because the center links in the bracelet are polished and he really gets steamed.

BTW, my every day wear pro diver has the Miyota movement.

I can't remember which ETA movement is in my Swiss Invicta.

I'm not a Rolex basher. When both daughters get out of college, I will finally purchase a submariner. I like them, but since I don't have the spare change at this point in time, I gotta go with what works reliably, looks good, and is affordable.

I just get tired of the same garbage that is posted by a certain individual when Invicta is mentioned.

certifiedfunds
09-29-2012, 14:29

Question. If my cheap piece of junk keeps better time than a Rolex, wouldn't that make a Rolex a terribly expensive piece of junk?

It doesn't.

certifiedfunds
09-29-2012, 14:33
The only thing I can guess is that I look young (early 30's) and when not at work I am normally in sandals, a tshirt, and jean shorts. Not the attire most people would associate with someone wearing an expensive watch. It is just like when I walked into Cadillac to buy my last car. I was completely ignored for about 20 minutes before I finally approached a salesman for assistance. I can only attribute it to the fact that I was dressed as I mentioned above when I walked in the door.

I'm 41 now but for the last 10 years you're describing me in terms of age and daily dress.

Put it this way, I had black crocs for formal occasions..

Bruce M
09-29-2012, 14:36

Fed Five Oh
09-29-2012, 14:44
It doesn't.Didn't mean to upset you.

Roger1079
09-29-2012, 14:44
I didn't say all Invicta's are more accurate than all Rolex's.

The question was if my cheap piece of junk Invicta keeps better time than a Rolex, doesn't that make the Rolex a terribly expensive piece of junk?

My buddy has a submariner. My invicta Pro Diver keeps better time. Pisses him off to no end. Add to that his wife thinks the pro diver looks better than his submariner because the center links in the bracelet are polished and he really gets steamed.

BTW, my every day wear pro diver has the Miyota movement.

I can't remember which ETA movement is in my Swiss Invicta.

I'm not a Rolex basher. When both daughters get out of college, I will finally purchase a submariner. I like them, but since I don't have the spare change at this point in time, I gotta go with what works reliably, looks good, and is affordable.

I just get tired of the same garbage that is posted by a certain individual when Invicta is mentioned.I hear ya. Invicta does make some quality watches and nobody can argue that their prices are great. My complaint with them and the reason I do not own one for my every day watch is the lack of creativity with many of their models. Many of their designs are extremely similar to watches made by other established manufacturers and I doubt this is a coincidence in any way shape or form. The pro diver is only one example of this.

It seems like they are riding the coat tails of the popularity of the more expensive manufacturers by designing their watches the way they do. I am certain that there are many people out there that bought the pro diver simply because it looks very similar to the submariner. That to me is a questionable business practice hence why they have never gotten any of my money. Just a personal choice and in no way a jab.

Roger1079
09-29-2012, 14:50
I'm 41 now but for the last 10 years you're describing me in terms of age and daily dress.

Put it this way, I had black crocs for formal occasions..For formal occasions I actually do own a couple Brooks Brothers suits, however wearing them has been limited to weddings and funerals. The next closest I come to casual dress are dress shoes, dress pants, and whatever obnoxious colored Tommy Bahama I happen to grab out of the closet. The rest of my clothes come from JC Penney and Target.

Clothes have just been one of the things that never meant much to me. My taste in expensive items is limited to guns, cars, home electronics, and watches not in any particular order.

certifiedfunds
09-29-2012, 14:53
Didn't mean to upset you.

Oh, you didn't. I'm chuckling behind the keyboard.

The funny thing is that Rolex isn't even a high end watch. Its sort of the entry point for an in house automatic swiss movement.

Ftttu
09-29-2012, 15:27
My daily watch is a Casio Sport PAW1100 Pathfinder. If I go to a movie or to dinner, I wear my Tag Heuer Formula 1. If I'm forced to wear a suit, I wear my Longines Grand Prize.

Roger1079
09-29-2012, 15:47
228008Very nice. Tudor has some extremely nice watches.

ColdSteelNail
09-29-2012, 15:52
Suunto Core, when I wear one.

757CC
09-29-2012, 15:56
Over the past few years I have taken a liking to nice watches....just a few of my everyday watches are: 1968 Rolex DateJust, Sunnto X-Lander Military, Seiko Orange monster, a variety of Citizen dive watches. Next watch on the list is a Rolex Submariner...hopefully I will be picking it up in the next couple months!

edhillseo
09-29-2012, 16:43
I love gadget watches. I have a Tissot dress watch, but my favorite is the Suunto Vector with the altimeter, barometer & compass. This is mainly for running, biking and hiking.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=228012&stc=1&d=1348958215

nostalgiaguy
09-29-2012, 16:48
At the risk of being to political I will say.... Maybe we can return to wearing a watch , when we all have jobs to go to again and need one to see what ti,e to be to work.

seriously.. I gave up wearing the things when my cell phone started tell me where Mickeys hand is. Yet I still have a safe full of them. My stainless datejust rolex and Le coultre gold dress watch are my favorites. Once in a blue moon I break them out and will where one to dinner. But most the time the pocket phone keeps me posted on where the sun is.

Diesel McBadass
09-29-2012, 16:56
some day ill get a well fit watch and see if i can get used to having something on my wrist

Haldor
09-29-2012, 16:59
Seiko 5 Military.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BjXbuEFWL.jpg

Autowinder, 21 jewel mechanical. Has a slim (for an autowinder) and compact head with a durable crystal face (Hardlex) and a stainless steel body. Mine has been in hard daily use for over a year without any scratches showing up on the glass. The watch is very rugged too. I have dropped mine from waist high onto a hard floor, several times without any problems.

Understated, retro military (WWII) styling that I find very appealing. Inexpensive to boot (< $80). I have been very happy with mine. The band is comfortable and is holding up great. It has sufficient friction that the watch stays in position during daily wear even with a relatively loose band.

mr00jimbo
09-29-2012, 19:33
I have a Longines Hydroconquest. It's so heavy that if somebody tries to rob me for it, I could club them to death with it.

certifiedfunds
09-29-2012, 20:27
Seiko 5 Military.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51BjXbuEFWL.jpg

Autowinder, 21 jewel mechanical. Has a slim (for an autowinder) and compact head with a durable crystal face (Hardlex) and a stainless steel body. Mine has been in hard daily use for over a year without any scratches showing up on the glass. The watch is very rugged too. I have dropped mine from waist high onto a hard floor, several times without any problems.

Understated, retro military (WWII) styling that I find very appealing. Inexpensive to boot (< $80). I have been very happy with mine. The band is comfortable and is holding up great. It has sufficient friction that the watch stays in position during daily wear even with a relatively loose band.

That's nice. I like that.

JuneyBooney
09-29-2012, 20:40
Seiko divers watch, bought 1990. Keeps perfect time. Excellent. Also a Sekio Chronograph purchased in 2010. Again... simply excellent watch.

I wear a Bulova or a Seiko normally. Watches are for telling time..:cool: You have a good watch there.

*ASH*
09-29-2012, 20:49
if you have to ask you dont get it . simple as that .

same as guns or cars , or anything . its all relative

ROGER4314
09-29-2012, 21:14
Regarding the Rolex: Early this year a friend was murdered over a watch. Two thugs beat him to death to get his watch.

Since I retired, I quit wearing any kind of wrist watch.

Flash

professorpinki
09-29-2012, 21:26
None of this last paragraph has anything to do with my original post that we've been discussing. Just more "BS".
Your original post on which I commented was in relation to a comment about the Rolex brand name being an eye catcher, and particularly to criminal elements. You said it wasn't; that people are just oblivious of things like watches. I posted, being a non-criminal element, saying that for many of us, the mere fact that we don't comment isn't that we're not observant. It's not that we're unaware. Rather, some of us are aware, and we choose not to say anything out of a sense of common courtesy. For example, you don't just go up to every good looking girl you see and say to her that she's beautiful, do you?

Now, if you were walking, hypothetically, and some vagrant passed by, he might not have that instinctive courtesy... 'cause he's a part of the criminal element. Suddenly that watch you don't think anyone pays attention to might have made you a target.

Not always the case, of course... and situational awareness clearly would help stop crime from taking place, or at least successfully (on the part of the bad guy) taking place.

That's where the whole bit about people judging you comes in: some people judge by a first glance. Others take a more examining look at your possessions. Some people look at the way you stand, how you talk. And some people try to drink the whole picture of you in... and in the end, they judge you based on the image you project... and Rolex projects an image of wealth, because that's what it's associated with.

JEEPX
09-29-2012, 21:46
Seiko Ventura Diver Chronograph

Sent from Droid Razr Maxx using Tapatalk 2

taters
09-29-2012, 22:00
I have a Bulova. Quartz. $75. I pay $75 because you get a face that is very hard to scratch. I get a scratch on the face and it's history.
Can't understand why people buy Rolex ,etc. these watches keep lousy time. If I was gonna buy a high end watch I would buy a replica with quartz works. You can't tell the difference and it keeps near perfect time

09-29-2012, 22:06
Luminox S3400, the F117 Stealth model, bought way back when Luminox craze hit the GT and everybody was buying Luminox SEAL watch. Still have it, on the third wrist band and second battery. Has gone up the Alaska range with me, swam in Pacific, went thru a commercial dishwasher (after a dunk in grease trap) and is still my knock-around watch. Countless 454 Casull range sessions did not hurt it a bit. After many years still has bright tritium markers.

For work/dress: Luminox Traveler 2000 Series, 3-time zones (including 2 24-hour zones) watch, discontinued by Luminox. Do not use the third time zone nearly as much, after moving to Lower 48.

Named my black cat after Luminox. Won't buy another watch brand.

NeverMore1701
09-29-2012, 22:08
Love the have-nots trying to make themselves feel better at the have's expense.

G29Reload
09-29-2012, 22:16
Suunto, but its been out of commission for awhile needing a wristband replacement.

Lately a last gen ipod nano on a cheesy wristband meant for it, mostly because I use the radio on it to keep my sanity at work. Too dorky otherwise.

I have some nice Australian sapphire watches I brought back from Oz back in 99, don't get worn much.

Want to get an Omega speedmaster and a Breitling eventually.

podwich
09-29-2012, 22:44
Can't understand why people buy Rolex ,etc. these watches keep lousy time. If I was gonna buy a high end watch I would buy a replica with quartz works. You can't tell the difference and it keeps near perfect time

For me, there's just something about the tiny, complicated machine that is an automatic watch. It's an incredible masterpiece of mechanical engineering that I can wear on my wrist. While a quartz is interesting from a technical standpoint and may well keep better time, it just doesn't have the same allure to me. You may well not agree, but that's fine. It's just how I feel about it, that's all.

railfancwb
09-29-2012, 23:10
Best of the breed from the clearance section at Walmart...

Schaffer
09-30-2012, 03:10
i always have my mobile device on me. I break watches and won't spend anymore than 20 bucks on one.

I have 3 watches. One is a cheap walmart special. The other two were given to me by each of my grandfathers. One is a pocket watch that my grandfather on my dad's side had given to him by his grandfather.

The other was given to me by my other grandfather, who received it after being in the local brick layers union for 25 years. Letting me wear it under the condition that i gave it back to him at some point. I never got the chance to give it back.

Both will be passed on to future generations of my family simply for sentimental value.

AirCav
09-30-2012, 03:30
AirCav, you have bueno taste. Love that set. The Planet Ocean got my watch bug back in gear and the Sinn is a beautifully crafted line.

Nice! I've been trying to decide whether I want that watch (but non-UTC with rubber strap) for a while now - can't make up my mind.

Out of all the outstanding watches in this thread, this is one I've wanted for a while now.

Nice watch. :thumbsup:
Thanks, gentlemen! I love the Sinn and rarely take it off. I feel a little guilty leaving the Omegas idle but the 856 just works so well. Seems nearly indestructible and is just a very practical and easy to wear watch.

GVFlyer
09-30-2012, 04:48

Enjoy.

Philistine.

Clutch Cargo
09-30-2012, 04:59
1977 Benrus Type II Class A military dive watch

2-8 Marine
09-30-2012, 06:54
Your original post on which I commented was in relation to a comment about the Rolex brand name being an eye catcher, and particularly to criminal elements. You said it wasn't; that people are just oblivious of things like watches. I posted, being a non-criminal element, saying that for many of us, the mere fact that we don't comment isn't that we're not observant. It's not that we're unaware. Rather, some of us are aware, and we choose not to say anything out of a sense of common courtesy. For example, you don't just go up to every good looking girl you see and say to her that she's beautiful, do you?

Now, if you were walking, hypothetically, and some vagrant passed by, he might not have that instinctive courtesy... 'cause he's a part of the criminal element. Suddenly that watch you don't think anyone pays attention to might have made you a target.

Not always the case, of course... and situational awareness clearly would help stop crime from taking place, or at least successfully (on the part of the bad guy) taking place.

That's where the whole bit about people judging you comes in: some people judge by a first glance. Others take a more examining look at your possessions. Some people look at the way you stand, how you talk. And some people try to drink the whole picture of you in... and in the end, they judge you based on the image you project... and Rolex projects an image of wealth, because that's what it's associated with.

Blah, Blah, Blah . . . more mumbo-Jumbo "BS". Muddy up the issue much? You still didn't answer this simple question. Of all the people you came in contact with yesterday, how many of their watches did you even notice? You refuse to answer because you'd have to say NONE! My original point which seems oblivious to you, was that MOST people don't notice what watch other people are wearing. Not all, but Most. You made a rediculiously, wild over statement incintating that most people notice, but don't comment out of common courtesy, and now you're stuck with it. Trying to muddy things up with the "BS" in your last two posts won't help.
Yes some people - and I classify that as a very low number including the criminal element you so adamently persist in citing - though how they could be considered courteous, I can't perceive, might do as you say. But, the OVERWHELMING MAJORITY of honest, everyday society go through their daily lives never noticing the watches that others are wearing. However, you'll never accept that simple truth, will you? No need to answer as now you've gone and bored me, so to you I say :wavey: I'm off to enjoy my Sunday.

roberev
09-30-2012, 07:10
I collect and wear two brands primarily: Ball and Doxa.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/roberev/photobucket-5207-1332364244258.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/roberev/photobucket-6476-1326921275044.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/roberev/photobucket-4772-1325773255949.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/roberev/Doxa%20Searambler/SRwritst.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/roberev/Ball/EMII%20Diver/EMIIhirsh1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/roberev/Doxa/GMT-1.jpg

Rob

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

roberev
09-30-2012, 07:17
current go-to favorite

I love the Sinn!

I've managed to hold on to this one:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a49/roberev/Sinn%20UX/aSinn4.jpg

Rob

Shagrat
09-30-2012, 07:18
Oh, you didn't. I'm chuckling behind the keyboard.

The funny thing is that Rolex isn't even a high end watch. Its sort of the entry point for an in house automatic swiss movement.

For me, I now wear my Seiko Kinetic Diver on a daily basis, while my Ulysse Nardin 1846 chronometer spends its days on a winder. At 11 years old it still runs at -2 seconds a day which is pretty accurate for a mechanical watch.

Rolex (I have owned six in my long life) is an entry level "high end" watch. They are mass produced; they do not take a year to build, but in saying that, they are rugged and and when adjusted properly, can be very accurate watches. One reason for Rolex's popularity can be attributed to their huge advertising budget.

Unfortunately, apart from those that appreciate quality wristwatches, many buy a Rolex so that they can demonstrate their (perceived) success. "I paid $25K for this baby" was the worst I ever heard one blowhard say. In the high end watch world that's chump change. Try two or three hundred thousand for a Patek Philippe complication, and then you're into some "high end" credibility.

Roger1079
09-30-2012, 07:35
Can't understand why people buy Rolex ,etc. these watches keep lousy time. If I was gonna buy a high end watch I would buy a replica with quartz works. You can't tell the difference and it keeps near perfect time99.9% of the replica watches for any luxury brand are junk built with quility standards far below any genuine watch, be it a $10 Casio or a $150,000 Patek Philippe. In case you have never heard of the brand I just mentioned, they are a watchmaker based out of Geneva Switzerland that has been in the business since 1839. Their watches start around $16,000 and go all the way to the $400,000 mark and beyond. This is an example of what certifedfunds was talking about when he made mention of chuckling because Rolex is really an entry level luxury watch.

If you have ever handled a real Rolex, most fakes are easy to spot unless you are willing to spend $600+ in most cases. Anything less than that and you are getting something made from parts that are cheap Chinese garbage. Being that it is also an illegal industry, quality control and warranty are virtually nonexistant so you are on your own after the sale and this is all assuming that US customs does not seize the package on the way into the country.

Aside from that, I would never wear a replica simply because I did not buy my watch for recognition from other people. I bought it for my own satisfaction. If it was something outside of my budget, I would not have it. That philosophy goes for my guns, cars, and any other nonessential items that I own.

Plus, if I am going to be mugged, brutally beaten, or murdered for my watch, I would damn sure feel like an idiot if it was for a fake. If any of the above is to transpire, the object that causes it may as well be genuine.

Roger1079
09-30-2012, 07:37
For me, I now wear my Seiko Kinetic Diver on a daily basis, while my Ulysse Nardin 1846 chronometer spends its days on a winder. At 11 years old it still runs at -2 seconds a day which is pretty accurate for a mechanical watch.

Rolex (I have owned six in my long life) is an entry level "high end" watch. They are mass produced; they do not take a year to build, but in saying that, they are rugged and and when adjusted properly, can be very accurate watches. One reason for Rolex's popularity can be attributed to their huge advertising budget.

Unfortunately, apart from those that appreciate quality wristwatches, many buy a Rolex so that they can demonstrate their (perceived) success. "I paid $25K for this baby" was the worst I ever heard one blowhard say. In the high end watch world that's chump change. Try two or three hundred thousand for a Patek Philippe complication, and then you're into some "high end" credibility.You beat me to it as I was typing. The funny thing is you made reference to the same luxury watchmaker that I did. As you can see, my thoughts exactly.

Wasatch
09-30-2012, 08:53
Everyday wear: Seiko Orange Monster

Hard labor: $20 Citizen knockoff (Field & Stream "Ocean Angler")

Running: Garmin Forerunner 305

GlockinNJ
09-30-2012, 09:42
For me, there's just something about the tiny, complicated machine that is an automatic watch. It's an incredible masterpiece of mechanical engineering that I can wear on my wrist. While a quartz is interesting from a technical standpoint and may well keep better time, it just doesn't have the same allure to me. You may well not agree, but that's fine. It's just how I feel about it, that's all.

I feel exactly the same way. It's one of the reasons I like pistols too - the way a semi-auto functions in sequence and a wheelgun clicks in perfect timing. It's a concert of mechanical movement, with a powerful outcome, all in your hands.

Cue the adolescent comments...

Shockem841
09-30-2012, 10:35
I use to wear a fossil,it was nice and lasted....Now i just use my phone.

w30olds
09-30-2012, 10:35
Older Luminox
Casio G-Shock

sappy13
09-30-2012, 10:37
Ironman triathlon runtrainer when I actually wear a watch

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

victormikelima
09-30-2012, 11:06
A GW9200-1 G-Shock Riseman (great battery life/solar powered + very durable, reliable, and simple wqtch) and I just got the Suunto Quest Runners Pack (the Heart Rate Monitor is the main reason I got this watch, I've heard that it is not durable and easily scratched, so I only wear this when I'm not doing anything rough or when I'm working out/exercising).

rahrah12
09-30-2012, 11:19
I love watch threads on Glocktalk...

Not really in to watches at the moment but when I was younger (early 20s) I thought I was pretty cool with my Kenneth Cole watches...I didn't know.

Anglin_AZ
09-30-2012, 11:45

Rob

You got a lot of Balls.

VANWALL
09-30-2012, 11:50
Today right now

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i171/vanwall2490/blackseiko.jpg

roberev
09-30-2012, 11:52
;-)

Rob

frizz
09-30-2012, 12:25
Pocket watches rool!

http://www.jewelsglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/Timex-Pocket-Watches-For-Men.jpg (http://www.jewelsglobe.com/wp-content/uploads/Timex-Pocket-Watches-For-Men.jpg)

Shagrat
09-30-2012, 12:32

Wrong on both points. Clearly, you've never owned a Rolex. No, a mechanical movement with several hundred parts will never be as accurate as quartz, but saying they keep lousy time is just ignorant piffle.

Also, if you can't tell the difference between a replica and the real thing, I've got a coupon for LensCrafters that I'd be happy to send you.

VN350X10
09-30-2012, 13:26
Don't wear one, I'm surrounded by people who's time is far less imortant than mine & can ask ANY of them what time it is close to when needed.
Time is a man-made abstract concept with no real value.

That said, here's the skinny:

I work in a metal-fab shop & have been a certified weldor for about 38 yrs. This environment isn't what you would call "timepiece-friendly" by any means. And the idea of any kind of jewelry doesn't fly either, like the gent who does the woodworking.

I have 3 watches:
Patek-Philieppe (sp) that was inherited from my father,not sure what model, but will go to my grandson. It lives in the safety-dep box @ the bank.

Seikeo, for 30 yrs of service with my employer, worn very rarely, but very nice. Engraved w/name & presentation date.

A cheap (12.00) large stopwatch, not sure of brand, from Wal-Mart, with light & neck lanyard. This is used for the 2 most important timekeeping events that I need:
1) Time of legal shooting light for deer & waterfowl hunting
2) Timing of steaks & chops, etc. while using the Weber grill (charcoal, no gas here!)

uncle albert

klmmicro
09-30-2012, 13:36
A Casio DW-5600E. Simple, rugged and they hold up to the rough diving conditions I subject them too. The latest batch appears to be made in China, so I am looking for another make or model should this one go south.

fnfalman
09-30-2012, 13:37

Because Rolex pieces of junk help drop more drawers.

fnfalman
09-30-2012, 13:41

Rather like a Honda Civic with EFI, ABS, TSC, VTEC and a most of other electronic doodads that make for an excellent vehicle but a 1930 Duesenberg J still kicks its ass in terms of coolness and desirability.

Anglin_AZ
09-30-2012, 13:56
Because Rolex pieces of junk help drop more drawers.

Also, in the long run a Rolex will never sell for less than what you bought it for.

Andy W
09-30-2012, 13:58
How much are Rolexes going for right now anyway? Anyone bought one recently? I know there are a lot of different models and options so its gonna vary but what is a rough price range?

Bruce M
09-30-2012, 14:08
Very nice. Tudor has some extremely nice watches.
Thanks. Put a little aside for a year or three for that.

Tacoma12
09-30-2012, 14:11
Casio G-Shock for work
Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chronotimer for when I'm off.

1955mercury
09-30-2012, 14:13
I like vintage watches.

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm239/1955mercury/sa2491113821-ny.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm239/1955mercury/sa307609182-e8.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm239/1955mercury/sa1467401827-ed.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm239/1955mercury/sa473430796-ey.jpg

HexHead
09-30-2012, 14:24
The cheaper Pro Divers (the 89xx series) uses the Miyota,

That's the model that when shaken, the movement hiccups and stops momentarily. Yeah, real quality there.

Grabbrass
09-30-2012, 14:25
How much are Rolexes going for right now anyway? Anyone bought one recently? I know there are a lot of different models and options so its gonna vary but what is a rough price range?

Are you talking about new, or used?

If you mean new, the basic Oyster Perpetual in a 36mm case is currently about $5400. That's absolute no-frills. There are cheaper Rolexes than that, but in smaller cases that are usually bought for boys or women.

Basic Datejust $6600.

Basic Datejust II $7150

"Basic" Day-Date $29,650
(i.e. "Presidential," the base model is 18kt gold)

"Basic" Day-Date II $34,850

Basic Submariner (no date) $7500.

Basic Submariner Date $8550.

Basic Milgauss $7650

Green crystal Milgauss $8200

Explorer $6550

Explorer II $8100

Basic GMT-Master II $8450

Basic Yachmaster $11,200

Basic Daytona $12,000

Deepsea $12,050

Of course, any 'bling' such as fancy dialfaces, gold content, precious stones, etc. increases any of the above prices substantially.

And, as far as I know, authorized dealers have to sell at the prices Rolex dictates to keep their franchise. There are 'gray' market dealers who sell new watches for less, but you forfeit the warranty. This is just what I've read on the internets though. YMMV.

Magnus2131
I know what I'd like to be wearing. Someday
http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq90/Magnus2131/G-shock.jpg

Jack23
I have 3 watches that I wear for appropriate occasions.

. Timex Expedition - huntin', shootin', fishin' workin', etc
. Elgin Gold/Stainless steel with one diamond - for medium nice
. Wife and I have matching Fossil watches for super nice.

UPDATE: My Timex Expedition just went belly up yesterday :crying: But I only paid 30 bux for it new 10 years and 3 months ago. That is about 3.50 per year. And I can't begin to explain about all the abuse it has been through and survived. It really did take a lickin' and it kept on tickin'. Theyz tuff I te'ya!

Just got back from WalMart and bought me another Timex Expidition. The price has only gone up by 5 bux and I'd call that cheap at twice that price. I hope I get the great service out of this one that I did it's predecessor.

HexHead
09-30-2012, 14:56

A couple of their entry level sports watches...

The new 39mm Explorer, $6800
New no-date Sub C: $7400

roger123
09-30-2012, 14:57

I think my wife paid about 8K for my '12 Sub date. I was afraid to ask though.

HexHead
09-30-2012, 15:05
Are you talking about new, or used?

If you mean new, the basic Oyster Perpetual in a 36mm case is currently about $5400. That's absolute no-frills. .

The Oyster Perpetual, AirKing and Date models are 34mm. The DateJust and original Explorer are 36mm.

Midsize Datejusts are 32mm and the Ladies DateJusts are 29mm. Ladies YachtMaster is 32mm (my wife has one).

Eric2340
09-30-2012, 15:08
Casio Pathfinder

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj23/esg94045/watches/IMG_1435.jpg

or Casio G-Shock

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj23/esg94045/watches/watches3-1.jpg

gift from my sons :)

Casio Diver

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj23/esg94045/watches/IMG_0152.jpg

Eric2340
09-30-2012, 15:10
Any of you non-G Shock fans ever seen a $500 plus G-Shock?

Casio G-Shock Frogman

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj23/esg94045/watches/IMG_0162.jpg

mike g35
09-30-2012, 15:40
My Timex Expedition rocks!!!! Best watch ever and it's stylish too. :)

gruntmedik
09-30-2012, 15:56
Sometimes it'shard to choose...

http://imgur.com/wqmgv.jpg

Love the Bathy's!

gruntmedik
09-30-2012, 15:58

Rob

Ball Spacemaster X Lume is on my list...one of these days.

KalashniKEV
09-30-2012, 16:15
You got a lot of Balls.

I'm a huge fan of blackface.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Watches/IMG_1270.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Watches/2012-01-08_16-50-06_76.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Watches/2012-05-03_10-46-46_819.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Watches/IMG_1094.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Watches/IMG_1049.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r220/Kalashnikev/Watches/SKX007.png

Rabbi
09-30-2012, 16:52
I have a pretty impressive collection of watches. All fancy and fu-fu ultra name brand stuff...I am a collector. Many moons ago, when this place was not so full of loons, some may remember a few pics I posted.

So, from rolling Brioni and Vacheron I say "Hey, I am going to go become a cop..." and I did. Now I buy Armitrons in bulk because a fight and the street will turn a watch into soup....and that happens from time to time. The idea of grinding one of my Swiss "finepieces" into the road surface because some turd doesnt want to go to jail makes me cringe.

Of course, when away from all of that, fine things still happen.

I have enjoyed the part of this thread where others have shared their passion for horology

KalashniKEV
09-30-2012, 17:03
So, from rolling Brioni and Vacheron I say "Hey, I am going to go become a cop..." and I did. Now I buy Armitrons in bulk because a fight and the street will turn a watch into soup....

Holy crap, dude...

You're an Armitron clad streetfighter with a collection of Vacherons and Brionis too???

:shocked:

frizz
09-30-2012, 17:12
Wrong on both points. Clearly, you've never owned a Rolex. No, a mechanical movement with several hundred parts will never be as accurate as quartz, but saying they keep lousy time is just ignorant piffle.

Also, if you can't tell the difference between a replica and the real thing, I've got a coupon for LensCrafters that I'd be happy to send you.

LensCrafters sells good Rolex fakes?

Louisville Glocker
09-30-2012, 17:27
How many times have we had this thread? I only ask because I'm curious if you cut-and-pasted this response, or actually typed it out. Looks like most of the usual suspects are here already, anyway, except Yo.

Good for you.

I go plenty of places where there aren't any clocks. I suppose in some of those places I could hang some (like next to my shower, for example, I don't have any clocks in the bathroom) but it's easier just to bring my watch since I'm already wearing it.

I'd argue with the modifier "often"--other than my time in the military, I have never ever "needed" a gun. More than once, I've "needed" a watch on a hike or climb.

Actually, often better.

I'm far more stressed out if I have to worry about whether I'm late or not, but to each his own I guess.

Did you notice the question I was answering? If so, why the "good for you" snideness?

"Its very strange but you'll likely find many of the same folk on GT that will drop a bundle on a high end pistol/rifle/shotgun/automobile/motorcycle/boat, etc, will complain or even condemn someone who appreciates a quality, high end watch purchasing same. Go figure. Personally, I don't get it."