Reduced 7mm Mag. loads [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reduced 7mm Mag. loads

bumpin88
09-27-2012, 20:38
I've been wanting to try some reduced loads in my 7mm for a while. I know that hodgdon has some loads listed on their site.

I still was wondering if anyone here has any experience downloading either the 7mm or 300 magnums? What works best what doesn't? In particular would varget be a good choice, or another powder that is faster?

fredj338
09-27-2012, 20:54
I've never really understood this concept, but I suppose if one has only one rifle, downloading is a good way to enjoy shooting more. Keep in mind that for best results, you want a powder faster than typ magnums burn @ full throttle. So Varet is a good choice, as would be any in that burn rate.

bumpin88
09-28-2012, 03:38
They way I think about it is this. If I could shoot reduced loads good enough to still take deer/small game(provide food) at close distances effectively, I can save my premium ammo for more serious situations.
As anyone who has loaded even alittle for a magnum can attest a lb. of powder does not go far. And if you can't find slower burning powders, your going to have to do with what you can get ahold of.

I've seen my father shoot .30 cal round balls out of an SKS, not because he wanted to shoot more, but because he wanted to see if it was accurate enough to take game. I hope that makes sense, I'll try not to ramble but I do it all the time sorry.

fredj338
09-28-2012, 10:12
I totattly understand the concept. You can make ANY powder run in ANY cartridge, it jsut takes a bit of experimenting. My 404jeff takes 85gr of powder & a $1 bullet. It's not cheap to shoot. I resize 300gr 44mag bullets & shoot them over a slightly faster powder for meanigful practice that doesn't cost me an arm & leg.

timpar
09-28-2012, 18:00
I don't shoot magnums, but I have been playing with 30-06 and TrailBoss lately.

Starting with with the method described on the Hodgdon site's pdf, I loaded 150 gr spire points with 13 to 19 grains of TrailBoss. http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Trail%20Boss%20Reduced%20Loads%20R&P.pdf

They chronoed at 1400 to 1700 fps and shoot at about 1 MOA from my 30 year old M700. The POI is about a foot lower than normal at 100 yds.

The recoil is only slightly more than a .22. A real joy to shoot.

Hodgdon's site also lists reduced loads with H4895. You might try that also:
http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/H4895%20Reduced%20Rifle%20Loads.pdf