No more Nick at my house [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : No more Nick at my house

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 04:49
Well, I'd pretty much given up on them for political correctness and the fact that my kids are beyond that age, but as Michelle Malkin points out (http://www.vdare.com/articles/meet-nickelodeons-trash-mouthed-misogynist-jason-biggs), they've abandoned any claim to decency and aren't a fit network for children to watch.

You folks with small kids should pay attention.

<-- SpongeBob Fan

jp3975
09-28-2012, 05:07
What are they supposed to do? Cancel a show over it that he merely voice acts on?

Maybe they wont hire him for anything new.

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 05:10
What are they supposed to do? Cancel a show over it that he merely voice acts on?

Maybe they wont hire him for anything new.For one they can cancel his contract and make a public statement distancing themselves from him.

What do you think Nick would do if one of their actors made similar public comments about Obama's wife?

RedTop
09-28-2012, 05:14
My kids watch very little TV. If they do it's usually the old (good) stuff they show on Boomerang. Flintstones, Huckleberry Hound, Pink Panther, old Tom and Jerry...

jp3975
09-28-2012, 05:15
For one they can cancel his contract and make a public statement distancing themselves from him.

What do you think Nick would do if one of their actors made similar public comments about Obama's wife?

No idea. Probably depends on who it was.

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 05:16
No idea. Probably depends on who it was.Wow..

jp3975
09-28-2012, 05:16
Either way...if you're boycotting a network over what one guy voice acting on one cartoon said on his personal pages....then you may as well stop paying the cable bill accept for maybe to watch fox news and weather channel.

CLoft239
09-28-2012, 05:17
:yawn:

Solution: don't let your kids follow him on Twitter. Better yet, don't let them watch any Robin Williams movies either, have you seen his stand up routines? Tell them no more Mrs. Doubtfire, etc. Oh, and Eddie Murphy too, they shouldn't watch Dr. Doolittle either, because he's raunchy during his stand up as well. You better get to sheltering them.

Biggs is doing a voice over big whoop. Get over it.

And for the record, I'm far from being a liberal.

Sent from the Titanic. I named my phone "The Titanic" so when I plug it into the computer it says "The Titanic is syncing".

jp3975
09-28-2012, 05:19
:yawn:

Solution: don't let your kids follow him on Twitter. Better yet, don't let them watch any Robin Williams movies either, have you seen his stand up routines? Tell them no more Mrs. Doubtfire, etc. Oh, and Eddie Murphy too, they shouldn't watch Dr. Doolittle either, because he's raunchy during his stand up as well. You better get to sheltering them.

Biggs is doing a voice over big whoop. Get over it.

And for the record, I'm far from being a liberal.

Sent from the Titanic. I named my phone "The Titanic" so when I plug it into the computer it says "The Titanic is syncing".

Dont forget the dad on full house.

ChuteTheMall
09-28-2012, 05:19

What would GlockTalk do if someone mentioned "she who must not be named" in a thread, reply, or conversation here?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1376560

:faint:

CLoft239
09-28-2012, 05:21

Lol oh yeah, what did he scream in that one movie? "I SUCK **** FOR ****!!"

jp3975
09-28-2012, 05:26
Lol oh yeah, what did he scream in that one movie? "I SUCK **** FOR ****!!"

He also did stand up with colorful language.

CLoft239
09-28-2012, 05:28
He also did stand up with colorful language.

Yep. I bet there's a TON of actors who have done parts for children's shows who have done other things that would appal the OP.

RimfireMan
09-28-2012, 05:33
Some people seem to spend too much time looking for a reason to get their panties in a wad.

stolenphot0
09-28-2012, 05:35
I don't care what some voice actor said, my kids haven't watched Nick ever. Their shows IMO are garbage all around. They leave the room or tell the person they are with they are not allowed to watch it.

harlenm
09-28-2012, 05:43
George Carlin was one of the dirtiest comics, but did narration for the Thomas the train TV show.

686Owner
09-28-2012, 05:45
Full House has been on Nick for a while. Bob Saget makes pedophilia jokes in his stand up routine.

jp3975
09-28-2012, 05:48
Come to think of it...a lot of disney movies have hidden nastiness. We had a party once looking for the bad stuff said to be in disney movies. Saw what they mentioned here was in Little Mermaid, Lion King, and Aladdin.

http://www.bgsu.edu/departments/tcom/faculty/ha/tcom103fall2003/gp13/gp13.pdf

jp3975
09-28-2012, 05:52
I don't care what some voice actor said, my kids haven't watched Nick ever. Their shows IMO are garbage all around. They leave the room or tell the person they are with they are not allowed to watch it.

lol...how so?

Victorious is awesome. So is Avatar.

The only complaints i can see are with Teen nick. Shows like Degrassi arent really for younger kids...or some overly sensitive adults.

But on normal nick...whats the issue there that makes it garbage? Bonus points if you can find something bad about the two shows i mentioned.

Avatar is one of the better cartoons on any network.

happyguy
09-28-2012, 06:08
It's a lot less about Biggs filthy trash mouth and more about apparent corporate endorsement of same to include linking his vile twitter account to the Nick website and then failing to accept responsibility for sending children there.

Sure there are a lot of comedians that are off color, but it's generally pretty easy to keep your kids away from it until they get a little older. Who cares what Bob Saget's comedy is about, few children are exposed to it. What may be acceptable in one venue is not acceptable in another.

The tone of many of the posts here are proof that a lot of people are either completely desensitized to just about everything, or have no clue how to raise children into morally responsible adults, or both.

If you wonder how Paris Hilton can be a celebrity, just look at how we raise our kids and some of the comments here.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

certifiedfunds
09-28-2012, 06:12
Your kids shouldn't be watching Sponge Bob anyway. I'm convinced that was a cartoon for adults that caught on with kids unintentionally.

glock_19guy1983
09-28-2012, 06:15
It's a lot less about Biggs filthy trash mouth and more about apparent corporate endorsement of same to include linking his vile twitter account to the Nick website and then failing to accept responsibility for sending children there.

Sure there are a lot of comedians that are off color, but it's generally pretty easy to keep your kids away from it until they get a little older.

The tone of many of the posts here are proof that a lot of people are either completely desensitized to just about everything, or have no clue how to raise morally responsible children, or both.

If you wonder how Paris Hilton can be a celebrity, just look at how we raise our kids.

Regards,

:goodpost: I could care less what an actor does on his own time, My kids have good role models and none of them are on TV. What pisses me off is that Nickelodeon sent kids to that moron's twitter page. Kids and twitter is another issue entirely though. I cant imagine a parent letting their young kid use twitter, face book, or have their own cell phone.

glock_19guy1983
09-28-2012, 06:17
Your kids shouldn't be watching Sponge Bob anyway. I'm convinced that was a cartoon for adults that caught on with kids unintentionally.

Did you ever catch Wren and Stimpy? Spongebob is pretty tame compared to that.

Pawcatch@aol.co
09-28-2012, 06:26
I absolutly love ICarly,but other than that I won't allow that channel in my house.

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 06:40
Some of you guys are obviously a LOT more open minded (uh-huh) than I, and I wouldn't dream of telling you what to do. And yeah, I appreciate a dirty joke (takes a lot to "appal" me, newbie :upeyes: ).

But Nick's out at my house.

jp3975
09-28-2012, 07:02
The tone of many of the posts here are proof that a lot of people are either completely desensitized to just about everything, or have no clue how to raise children into morally responsible adults, or both.

If you ignore the biggs issue which wasnt presented on the channel nick...what shows on nick hinder children from being raised into morally responsible adults?

Guess you guys dont let your kids watch tv? Other than the Christian channels like INSP, nick is as tame as it gets.

kensb2
09-28-2012, 07:13
Other than Nick being stupid enough to link to Biggs' personal twitter account, I don't see an issue here. He and his wife have the right to say whatever they want. It's his 1st amendment right, is it not? Until it crosses over into libel, and the offended parties choose to sue, there isn't much to be done. Go ahead, boycott Nick if you feel that's the right thing to do. That too, is your right. Everyone here must remember that our rights and freedoms extend to all citizens, ESPECIALLY when you don't like what they have to say.

Goaltender66
09-28-2012, 07:21
Some of you guys are obviously a LOT more open minded (uh-huh) than I, and I wouldn't dream of telling you what to do. And yeah, I appreciate a dirty joke (takes a lot to "appal" me, newbie :upeyes: ).

But Nick's out at my house.

I'm with you, Gwalch. Promoting Biggs' feed created culpability on their part as far as I'm concerned. Biggs letting his wife defend him just demonstrated what a moral coward Biggs is. And Nickelodeon's lame-o response (Which, IIRC, took like a week to come up with) is unacceptable.

If Biggs said about MO what he said about Mrs. Ryan/Mrs. Romney, he'd already be out the door.

No Nick in The Crease.

Oh, and kensb2...1A has nothing to do with this.

kensb2
09-28-2012, 07:30
I think it does. But I also agree with you that Nickelodeon definitely has culpability in that they linked to Biggs' personal twitter account, which I also stated in my original post. Here's what it comes down to: you don't like what Nick is doing/promoting, don't support them. Feel free to tell your friends and family. But to expect that Nick is going to drop an entire show, or break a contract over some things a voice actor said on his personal twitter account? Morals like that long ago left the majority of corporate America.

Bilbo Bagins
09-28-2012, 07:54
Ohh for crying out loud!! This is what I HATE about the ultra conservatives in the Republican party. They act like the Christian Taliban.

Jason Biggs does cartoon voice over work for one show on Nick. He is a 34 year old actor who was lead character in AMERICAN PIE. Its Voice over work, he is not a producer, a host of a kids talk show, or a writer. He comes in to an empty sound booth, reads the script, and goes home. Heck some big time liberal actors like Woody Allen, Alec Balwin, Whoopie Goldberg, and Rosie O'Donnell have done voice over work for various childrens cartoons and no one said a word.

For the record, I have seen some very good writting on some Nick shows like iCarly and Victorious. I can tell you sometimes they do slant to the right, by making fun of hippies, the Green/Global Warming movement, and anti-capitalism. On the Filp side sometimes they lean left, mostly for that big push from Michele Obama, and her healthy eating/exercise campaign, but she forced herself on all the kids networks.

Republican pundits need to get off the "holier than thou." Christian Taliban crap and focus on things that will not turn off common sense Republicans.

tantrix
09-28-2012, 08:03
Ohh for crying out loud!! This is what I HATE about the ultra conservatives in the Republican party. They act like the Christian Taliban.

That is exactly why I'm registered Independent.

Republican pundits need to get off the "holier than thou." Christian Taliban crap and focus on things that will not turn off common sense Republicans.

It'll never happen, they'll just keep driving away more people from the Republican party then piss and moan whenever people like me say I'm voting Gary Johnson.

Drain You
09-28-2012, 08:06
gfdhdhdh

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 08:08
I think it does.I'm not a constitutional scholar. Can you explain how this is a 1A issue?

woodasptim
09-28-2012, 08:20
The guy who basically got famous for pretending to stick his junk in a pie said something vulgar and stupid? :faint:

Bilbo Bagins
09-28-2012, 08:21
If you ignore the biggs issue which wasnt presented on the channel nick...what shows on nick hinder children from being raised into morally responsible adults?

Guess you guys dont let your kids watch tv? Other than the Christian channels like INSP, nick is as tame as it gets.

+1 Seriously. Cartoon Network is more edgy than Nick, and at night it switches to Adult Swim which are even more racy adult cartoons.

And while Disney may be consider more safe, its really not. They are heavily into the Democratic party, and the vast majority of Child stars that work for Disney, end up a total mess, on drugs, or pregnant when they hit their teen years.

SC Tiger
09-28-2012, 08:45
Looks like I'm safe for now. All my son ever wants to watch is Veggie Tales.

SC Tiger
09-28-2012, 08:46
The guy who basically got famous for pretending to stick his junk in a pie said something vulgar and stupid? :faint:

And then just kept doing it....

(Seriously, what have they made now - 10 "American Pie" movies?)

Goaltender66
09-28-2012, 08:59

Jason Biggs does cartoon voice over work for one show on Nick. He is a 34 year old actor who was lead character in AMERICAN PIE. Its Voice over work, he is not a producer, a host of a kids talk show, or a writer. He comes in to an empty sound booth, reads the script, and goes home. Heck some big time liberal actors like Woody Allen, Alec Balwin, Whoopie Goldberg, and Rosie O'Donnell have done voice over work for various childrens cartoons and no one said a word.

For the record, I have seen some very good writting on some Nick shows like iCarly and Victorious. I can tell you sometimes they do slant to the right, by making fun of hippies, the Green/Global Warming movement, and anti-capitalism. On the Filp side sometimes they lean left, mostly for that big push from Michele Obama, and her healthy eating/exercise campaign, but she forced herself on all the kids networks.

And for all of those folks you mentioned doing voice-over work, have they had vulgar and repulsive tweets (or something similar) in a forum that was actively promoted by the company for which they did voice work? Yes, George Carlin voiced a few Thomas the Tank Engine shows, but in the credits was there a blurb saying "Hey, buy George Carlin's comedy CD at a fine retailer near you?"

Frankly, I don't give a darn what Biggs says on his twitter feed. Fine, whatever. But where I start to care is a) when Nickelodeon promotes his feed and b) refuses to offer any meaningful remedy or even a meaningful apology.

This isn't a holier than thou thing, unless you think holier than thou extends to a kids network promoting a twitter feed of someone who tweets about bleached orifices.

No Nick at my house.

OctoberRust
09-28-2012, 09:03
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Double standards much Gwalch?

Weren't you the one all up in arms about the gays boycotting CFA or whatever some months back? :rofl::rofl:

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 09:08
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Double standards much Gwalch?

Weren't you the one all up in arms about the gays boycotting CFA or whatever some months back? :rofl::rofl:Did I say they couldn't boycott CFA (or anyone)? I supported CFA during the boycott, if that's what you're referring to. Maybe the distinction is too subtle for you to grasp, but it's very important.

aplcr0331
09-28-2012, 09:10
Somebody's about to start their period.

brisk21
09-28-2012, 09:11
Im not depriving my kids of nick just because Jason Biggs doesn't like republicans. I could care less what he likes, or what he tweets. Do you guys really think that republicans are all angels and democrats are evil? They are both evil, controlling bastards. They are not out for us. They are out for themselves. I do dislike democrats more, but the whole thing is frustrating.

brisk21
09-28-2012, 09:11
Somebodies about to start their period.

Yeah Ive seen a couple threads on here induce some periods.:rofl:

Peace Warrior
09-28-2012, 09:13
Well, I'd pretty much given up on them for political correctness and the fact that my kids are beyond that age, but as Michelle Malkin points out (http://www.vdare.com/articles/meet-nickelodeons-trash-mouthed-misogynist-jason-biggs), they've abandoned any claim to decency and aren't a fit network for children to watch.

<-- SpongeBob Fan
Good post G.

They have a right to present crapola for viewing, and you as a parent not only have the right not to let your kids watch, but also the duty to protect your kids from said crapola.

Good for you! (I have no clue who jason biggs is, but I also noticed bob sagat mentioned on the thread, and if jason is anything remotely similar to sagat, then IMO that make you an even more qualified parental unit.)

They're your kids, keep swinging!

(An aside: The sponge bob suite huh? Did you're eyes get fried from all the "yellow?")

OctoberRust
09-28-2012, 09:13
Did I say they couldn't boycott CFA (or anyone)? I supported CFA during the boycott, if that's what you're referring to. Maybe the distinction is too subtle for you to grasp, but it's very important.

So why are you speculating they'd can him if he said something about Obama's wife.

They may not..... Beside the fact they're a private company, and have the right to endorse or not endorse what they want, just like CFA.

Regardless, you sound like the pro LBGT people that boycotted cathys over his opinion.

It's ok though, I respect your right to boycott or support anything you want with your own money.

Peace Warrior
09-28-2012, 09:15
Somebodies about to start their period.
Yeah, one thing about PMS, it makes people lose all sense of grammar and spelling disciplines. :whistling:

FFR Spyder GT
09-28-2012, 09:18

<-- SpongeBob Fan

Ok.

How is that any different then stuff the GT members have posted about Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton and a few other (D) women?

Don't you just love the right-wing's double standard.

Goaltender66
09-28-2012, 09:19
Ok.

How is that any different then stuff the GT members have posted about Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton and a few other (D) women?

Don't you just love the right-wing's double standard.

Is GT being promoted on a kids network?

:upeyes:

kensb2
09-28-2012, 09:27
I'm not a constitutional scholar. Can you explain how this is a 1A issue?
Nor am I, and this is not just a 1A issue. But, it looks to me like the original story was as much about what Biggs said, as it was about the fact that his twitter account was linked to the Nick TMNT page. What if the people that run Nick are Democrats, and thought was he said was funny? That they supported his ideas? Does the fact that it pisses you off mean that they have to apologize for it? No, not any more than CFA should be apologizing to GLBT etc for their stance on marriage. Again, like I said earlier, I agree that it was irresponsible of Nick to link to Biggs' personal twitter feed, but it's just as irresponsible of the parents that allowed their young children to go and view it. I also don't honestly think that Nick foresaw that Biggs' was going to make all the 'lewd' comments that he did. Was he the only voice actor whose twitter page was linked to? I'm curious.

Again, not all companies have the corporate and social responsibilities we'd like them to have. The company I work for, fired someone for saying far less offensive but equally stupid things on his FB page. They constantly push corporate and social responsibility. Not all companies have the same leadership.

aplcr0331
09-28-2012, 09:30
Yeah, one thing about PMS, it makes people lose all sense of grammar and spelling disciplines. :whistling:

http://i.qkme.me/212q.jpg

Fixed it.

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 10:23
Nor am I, and this is not just a 1A issue.OK, you can support what else it may be, but I'm asking you, Ken, how this is a 1A issue? That's all I'm asking.

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 10:27
So why are you speculating they'd can him if he said something about Obama's wife.Because I can make such a speculation, and I believe it's true.

Regardless, you sound like the pro LBGT people that boycotted cathys over his opinion.Really? Where have I advocated demonstrations at Nick's place of business with the aim of making their customer uncomfortable?

It's ok though, I respect your right to boycott or support anything you want with your own money.Great, thanks. For a while there I was wondering if you had little chicken tracks tattooed on your ankles.

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 10:31
Ok.

Don't you just love the right-wing's double standard.Are you saying I should boycott GT because members here have made disparaging remarks about Moochell, Shrillery, and other (D) women? I guess the difference is that in many (most?) cases I agree with those remarks.

OctoberRust
09-28-2012, 11:09
Because I can make such a speculation, and I believe it's true.

Really? Where have I advocated demonstrations at Nick's place of business with the aim of making their customer uncomfortable?

Great, thanks. For a while there I was wondering if you had little chicken tracks tattooed on your ankles.

As long as they're keeping off private property, and adhering to local/state laws no harm no fowl. If not, I'm sure the police will do their job and handle the situation accordingly.

Both Cathys opinion and this guy whoever he is opinion has no bearing on the product being marketed. Unless he is stating such on the TV show.

Either way, do as you wish. Sounds like you're making a mountain out of a molehill, kind of like the gays boycotting cfa. :dunno:

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 11:35
As long as they're keeping off private property, and adhering to local/state laws no harm no fowl. If not, I'm sure the police will do their job and handle the situation accordingly.I would say coming into the store, ordering a water, and lesbian spit-swapping in the booths would fall into the "on private property" thing, wouldn't you?

Either way, do as you wish. Sounds like you're making a mountain out of a molehill, kind of like the gays boycotting cfa. :dunno:Thanks, I will do as I wish (whew! Glad I got the OK on that). You sure have had a lot to say about this molehill, btw... :whistling:

kensb2
09-28-2012, 11:44
OK, you can support what else it may be, but I'm asking you, Ken, how this is a 1A issue? That's all I'm asking.

I thought I did, but I'm not going to beat a dead horse, especially when I agree with you on at least some of this. There are far more important things going on, like me setting up my class schedule and financial aid for the spring semester.

OctoberRust
09-28-2012, 11:45
I would say coming into the store, ordering a water, and lesbian spit-swapping in the booths would fall into the "on private property" thing, wouldn't you?

Thanks, I will do as I wish (whew! Glad I got the OK on that). You sure have had a lot to say about this molehill, btw... :whistling:

then if they do that, and are asked to leave and do not comply, they should be charged with trespassing. Doesn't change the fact you're making a mountain out of a molehill, and you sound like the majority who cried and "boycotted" cfa.

Awwww, the second paragraph of yours just shows you getting upset, that's cute! :rofl:

Snaps
09-28-2012, 11:58
I don't care at all about an entertainers views or anything they do outside of that medium thats their profession. If my favorite actor was trying to bring back Hitler through science I'd still watch his movies.

IMO its their right to free speak to say what they want and it doesn't impact the way they do their jobs

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 12:06
I thought I did, but I'm not going to beat a dead horse, especially when I agree with you on at least some of this. There are far more important things going on, like me setting up my class schedule and financial aid for the spring semester.OK, I'll take that as a "no". ;)

Good luck with your studies. :wavey:

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 12:11
then if they do that, and are asked to leave and do not comply, they should be charged with trespassing.That was the entire point of the CFA "buycott" - to show support for CFA against the spit-swappers. Did you just completely miss the boat on that? It wasn't about trying to prevent the "LSMFT"s boycotting anything. Heck, it's well known that anytime radical yap-trap minorities boycott a business that business's revenues go up because decent people want to go there more.

OctoberRust
09-28-2012, 12:18
I don't care at all about an entertainers views or anything they do outside of that medium thats their profession. If my favorite actor was trying to bring back Hitler through science I'd still watch his movies.

IMO its their right to free speak to say what they want and it doesn't impact the way they do their jobs

I agree. Some people love to live by double standards on this board though.

kensb2
09-28-2012, 12:20
OK, I'll take that as a "no". ;)

Good luck with your studies. :wavey:

Thanks!

Hummerbike
09-28-2012, 12:21
I didn't know there were so many Nickelodeon apologists on Glock Talk. Nicks out at my house as well.

Angry Fist
09-28-2012, 12:37
You guys shold me having your kids watch more History Channel, anyways. My kids get an hour every day. Screw Nick.

pmcjury
09-28-2012, 12:43

I remember the first time I saw him doing standup. I almost fell over.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

Snaps
09-28-2012, 12:46
I didn't know there were so many Nickelodeon apologists on Glock Talk. Nicks out at my house as well.

I didn't know anybody on the planet had an issue with nick till this thread. Pretty sure everybody that does posts on GT

FCastle88
09-28-2012, 12:50

Sure there are a lot of comedians that are off color, but it's generally pretty easy to keep your kids away from it until they get a little older. Who cares what Bob Saget's comedy is about, few children are exposed to it. What may be acceptable in one venue is not acceptable in another.

If you wonder how Paris Hilton can be a celebrity, just look at how we raise our kids and some of the comments here.

Regards,
Kids are hearing and seeing much worse things at school, and many of them find trash on the internet just fine on their own.

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 12:51
I didn't know anybody on the planet had an issue with nick till this thread. Pretty sure everybody that does posts on GTMichelle provides links in her article which disagree with you.

PBCounty
09-28-2012, 12:52
The time to be pissed at Nick was 1992 or so when they had that "news" / current events show hosted by that short haired cancer chick. That was straight up, hardcore lefty propaganda. This though, not feeling it.

Bilbo Bagins
09-28-2012, 12:57
Frankly, I don't give a darn what Biggs says on his twitter feed. Fine, whatever. But where I start to care is a) when Nickelodeon promotes his feed and b) refuses to offer any meaningful remedy or even a meaningful apology.

This isn't a holier than thou thing, unless you think holier than thou extends to a kids network promoting a twitter feed of someone who tweets about bleached orifices.

No Nick at my house.

Ok, you do have a point there. The link/promotion of the Twitter feed should be removed from the Nick website, and anyone calling to complain that there kid read some filth on this recommended twitter should be apologized to.

I think its a fumble on Nick's part, why would you recommend/Promote a twitter account of an actor who worked in rated R movies and is working "Blue" when he Tweets.

That is about it though.

CLoft239
09-28-2012, 13:22
I think its a fumble on Nick's part, why would you recommend/Promote a twitter account of an actor who worked in rated R movies and is working "Blue" when he Tweets.

That is about it though.

+1

And at the same time, if somebody will go thru such great lengths to shelter their children by boycotting Nick, why let their children have a twitter?

I see no need for a Nick watching age child to even have a twitter or unsupervised access to the internet. In my opinion, this is more of an "OMG a lefty said something about the sacred righties I support! And Nick hired this guy, zomg!"

Goaltender66
09-28-2012, 13:43
+1

And at the same time, if somebody will go thru such great lengths to shelter their children by boycotting Nick, why let their children have a twitter?

I see no need for a Nick watching age child to even have a twitter or unsupervised access to the internet. In my opinion, this is more of an "OMG a lefty said something about the sacred righties I support! And Nick hired this guy, zomg!"

You misunderstand. I'm not boycotting Nick to "shelter my children," I'm boycotting Nick because they refuse to take responsibility for a promotional activity that was aimed at my children.

I would also believe a great many tweens who are in TMNT's target audience have twitter accounts.

MadMonkey
09-28-2012, 13:57
Some people seem to spend too much time looking for a reason to get their panties in a wad.

Absolutely this. I guarantee typical conversation at elementary school is worse than what they're freaking out about here, and yet the parents obliviously think they're "protecting" their children by turning off Nick :rofl:

Bilbo Bagins
09-28-2012, 14:05
+1

+1 that is why it did not sink in with me, at first. I have a pre-teen and a 14 year old and neither are on twitter. Even if they were, I would not let either of my kids follow some 34 year old actors twitter, especially the star of American Pie.

pizza_pablo
09-28-2012, 14:21
What would GlockTalk do if someone mentioned "she who must not be named" in a thread, reply, or conversation here?

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1376560

:faint:

From the link:
"Michelle Obama now off limits
Since that topic goes wrong every time, unless there is an actual policy issue to discuss in relation to her, anyone bringing her up or into the conversation, or starting a thread, in any insulting manner gets the thread locked & an infraction.

Complaints here

The sig line makes the post priceless and ironic, me thinks. :supergrin:

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 14:42
+1 that is why it did not sink in with me, at first. I have a pre-teen and a 14 year old and neither are on twitter. Even if they were, I would not let either of my kids follow some 34 year old actors twitter, especially the star of American Pie.First, how do you know your kids aren't on twitter, and second how would you keep them from following whoever they wanted to? Are they under your thumb all day and night?

jp3975
09-28-2012, 18:34
Still waiting on the folks who said that nick shows where garbage or immoral to provide examples of such in their programming.

Id particularly like to know how we "have no clue how to raise children into morally responsible adults" because we let our kids watch Nick. That was seriously a moronic comment.

If you guys want to boycott them, cool. But no comment from the people who want to tell us how immoral nick shows are when you ask how so?

jp3975
09-28-2012, 18:40
+1 Seriously. Cartoon Network is more edgy than Nick, and at night it switches to Adult Swim which are even more racy adult cartoons.

And while Disney may be consider more safe, its really not. They are heavily into the Democratic party, and the vast majority of Child stars that work for Disney, end up a total mess, on drugs, or pregnant when they hit their teen years.

Careful. Some poor GT member's kid wont be able to watch their favorite shows anymore because their parents are scared it may damage their fragile minds.

This thread reminds me of how my mom tried to stop me from listening to non-Christian/country music[both of which i hated] right after my dad bought me a thousand dollar stereo for Christmas. Which was over twice what they normally spent.

I still think my mom was stupid for what she did and was proud of my dad for finally putting his foot down and telling her to drop it...she was being stupid.

MadMonkey
09-28-2012, 18:54
This thread reminds me of how my mom tried to stop me from listening to non-Christian/country music[both of which i hated] right after my dad bought me a thousand dollar stereo for Christmas. Which was over twice what they normally spent.

I still think my mom was stupid for what she did and was proud of my dad for finally putting his foot down and telling her to drop it...she was being stupid.

Lol... There were CHRISTIAN bands I wasn't allowed to listen to growing up because they played "rock" :rofl:

tantrix
09-28-2012, 18:57
Still waiting on the folks who said that nick shows where garbage or immoral to provide examples of such in their programming.

Id particularly like to know how we "have no clue how to raise children into morally responsible adults" because we let our kids watch Nick. That was seriously a moronic comment.

If you guys want to boycott them, cool. But no comment from the people who want to tell us how immoral nick shows are when you ask how so?

Because Nick will turn your kid into a liberal, and Ozzy Osbourne will turn him/her into a mass murderer. Didn't you know all this before you had kids?! :rofl:

HollowHead
09-28-2012, 19:37
One family of cousins wasn't allowed to watch Sgt. Bilco, McHale's Navy, Hogan's Heros, Gomer Pyle, M*A*S*H, etc. because my uncle thought that war was immoral. HH

jp3975
09-28-2012, 23:25
Lol... There were CHRISTIAN bands I wasn't allowed to listen to growing up because they played "rock" :rofl:

lol...parents like that are sad. Oh, and I forgot the best part. My mom liked Aerosmith. Took my older sister to see them.

And after my dad told her she was being stupid and she dropped the whole music thing....for years i begged to go to a concert. Metalica was my fav. She finally said I could go if she could come with me[to make sure i wasnt killed] I happily said sure. Then do you know what she said? "OH...i never would have thought you would have agreed if i said i had to go as a condition...still cant go."

So all my friends went without me. I didnt go to a concert till age 18 and then was agitated that i saw kids there as young as 10.

Because Nick will turn your kid into a liberal, and Ozzy Osbourne will turn him/her into a mass murderer. Didn't you know all this before you had kids?! :rofl:

lol. More likely it and restrictions like it will lead such parents kids to rebellion.

I know plenty of chicks with overbearing parents who ended up pregnant not one year after starting college and getting a taste of freedom. ALWAYS with parents who "know how to raise children into morally responsible adults."

Even before college...while I was in a private christian school...those kids where just as bad as the kids in public and the preacher's kids where the worst because of how repressive their parents where.

Im sure everyone who wants to control every aspect of what their kids do, including what they watch on tv and listen to will think "Not my kid."

tantrix
09-29-2012, 01:09
lol...parents like that are sad. Oh, and I forgot the best part. My mom liked Aerosmith. Took my older sister to see them.

And after my dad told her she was being stupid and she dropped the whole music thing....for years i begged to go to a concert. Metalica was my fav. She finally said I could go if she could come with me[to make sure i wasnt killed] I happily said sure. Then do you know what she said? "OH...i never would have thought you would have agreed if i said i had to go as a condition...still cant go."

So all my friends went without me. I didnt go to a concert till age 18 and then was agitated that i saw kids there as young as 10.

My 9 year old son got to skip the 1st day of school last year. Why?

Because the night before was The Carnival of Madness tour with Shinedown, Sevendust, Chevelle, and Puddle of Mudd. I brought him.

Yep...when all other kids were sleeping to start the miserable 1st day of school, my son was on my shoulders watching something he'll never forget.

jp3975
09-29-2012, 01:28

Because the night before was The Carnival of Madness tour with Shinedown, Sevendust, Chevelle, and Puddle of Mudd. I brought him.

Yep...when all other kids were sleeping to start the miserable 1st day of school, my son was on my shoulders watching something he'll never forget.

You're both going straight to hell.:rofl:

Sounds like your kid got pretty lucky to have a cool parent.

frizz
09-29-2012, 03:38

I wish you were wrong, but you aren't. It is a shame. I admit that I catch myself doing it sometimes.

One of my favorite shows is The Daily Show. They take a satirical view of politics and skewer the idiots.

They may be left leaning, but that doesn't stop them from pooping on delegates at both conventions or from slamming Harry Reid for his unfounded accusations about Romney.

They even takes jabs at Rachel Maddow!

I seldom get worked up about politics -- other than the idgits -- and I have taken a more relaxed view.

I can't change it, so I am a fool to fret about it. Satire gives me a way to laugh at it.

happyguy
09-29-2012, 04:49

Really? Christian Taliban? They're out beheading people? They're out beating women who show too much skin? Seriously?

Regards,

happyguy
09-29-2012, 04:57
Kids are hearing and seeing much worse things at school, and many of them find trash on the internet just fine on their own.

That's one of the points of my post. We adults are failing our children. It's been going on for a while which explains some of the problems society faces today.

Regards,

tantrix
09-29-2012, 05:06
That's one of the points of my post. We adults are failing our children. It's been going on for a while which explains some of the problems society faces today.

Regards,

You can't change the world, so you better teach your kids how to adapt to it.

I don't care what kind of parent you are, short of chaining your children up in the basement until they're 18 you're not hiding anything from them (especially if they go to public school). The world is a dirty, nasty place...that's reality.

You're not failing your children unless you act oblivious to what's going on around around them and pretend it's all fairy tales.

jp3975
09-29-2012, 05:20

Regards,

Still waiting on you to tell us how we "have no clue how to raise children into morally responsible adults" because we let our kids watch Nick.

Whats on nick that is so sinister? A few people have ******* about it...no one has pointed to anything other than what biggs said. Id like to know why you think people who let their kid watch nick dont know what theyre doing? And while we are at it, what do you let your kids watch?

If your kids grow up with you being as strict as you sound, then i think you're the one that will end up with "immoral" kids. Its pretty much undisputed that the stricter you are, the worse your kids will be once they taste freedom or get a chance to do something behind your back. The chances are better at least than normal parents who dont insist on controlling every minor detail of their kids lives. Which i think is safe to assume if you think Nick is so obscene for your kid that you wouldnt let them watch it if they wanted.

happyguy
09-29-2012, 05:34
Still waiting on you to tell us how we "have no clue how to raise children into morally responsible adults" because we let our kids watch Nick.

Whats on nick that is so sinister? A few people have ******* about it...no one has pointed to anything other than what biggs said. Id like to know why you think people who let their kid watch nick dont know what theyre doing? And while we are at it, what do you let your kids watch?

If your kids grow up with you being as strict as you sound, then i think you're the one that will end up with "immoral" kids. Its pretty much undisputed that the stricter you are, the worse your kids will be once they taste freedom or get a chance to do something behind your back. The chances are better at least than normal parents who dont insist on controlling every minor detail of their kids lives. Which i think is safe to assume if you think Nick is so obscene for your kid that you wouldnt let them watch it if they wanted.

1. If you are waiting for my disertation on child rearing, I'll get right back to you. But all you have to do is look around you, the evidence is everywhere if you aren't blind to it.

2. I did not indicate in my post that Nick was particularly "sinister". Just that they were wrong to link to the Twitter account and their apology was drivel.

3. "Its pretty much undisputed that the stricter you are, the worse your kids will be". Well, I dispute it and I would like you to link to the studies that back up your "undisputed" opinion. Do you always just make up "facts" to bolster your argument?

4. How many children do you have and what are their ages?

5. I think it is safe to assume that while you read my post, you didn't understand a word of it.

Regards,

tantrix
09-29-2012, 05:36

Man, give it up...he sounds like these parents I met at a big BBQ that freaked out when they heard I let my son watch Spongebob. I said "Yeah, so? I even watch it with him...it's hilarious!".

They looked at me like I was Satan himself. But we managed to talk for a few more minutes after that, and come to find out they were parents just like what you described...so strict it was borderline insanity. And ironically, their kids were the absolute worst heathens I had ever seen...they had to leave early because their kids were acting too crazy and torn something up of the homeowners. Imagine that...

The reason was, they were also against spanking (or just about any other form of discipline) so their kids just ran around wild. On the flip side, mine knew if they started acting stupid they got 1 warning, after that I was tearing their asses up in front of God and everybody.

I (the Spongebob demon) had the best-behaved children there. Imagine that...

3. "Its pretty much undisputed that the stricter you are, the worse your kids will be". Well, I dispute it and I would like you to link to the studies that back up your "undisputed" opinion.

I don't know where the hell you come from, but he's absolutely right. The worst behaved kids I've ever seen came from the strictest parents I've ever seen.

happyguy
09-29-2012, 05:43
Man, give it up...he sounds like these parents I met at a big BBQ that freaked out when they heard I let my son watch Spongebob. I said "Yeah, so? I even watch it with him...it's hilarious!".

They looked at me like I was Satan himself. But we managed to talk for a few more minutes after that, and come to find out they were parents just like what you described...so strict it was borderline insanity. And ironically, their kids were the absolute worst heathens I had ever seen...they had to leave early because their kids were acting too crazy and torn something up of the homeowners. Imagine that...

The reason was, they were also against spanking (or just about any other form of discipline) so their kids just ran around wild. On the flip side, mine knew if they started acting stupid they got 1 warning, after that I was tearing their asses up in front of God and everybody.

I don't know where the hell you come from, but he's absolutely right. The worst kids I've ever seen came from the strictest parents I've ever seen.

I must say that I spanked my children when it was warranted, but I never "tore their asses up in front of God and everybody" and then bragged about it like it was some kind of badge of honor.

Regards,

tantrix
09-29-2012, 05:54
I must say that I spanked my children when it was warranted, but I never "tore their asses up in front of God and everybody" and then bragged about it like it was some kind of badge of honor.

Regards,

I never had to spank them...as I said, they were just fine the entire night. But I wasn't afraid to lay it down right then and there if I had to, and they knew it.

But that's beside the point.

My argument still stands that if you think strict parenting works, you will find out how good it works when your kids are older and/or grown. You can't change your children's personalities...they have been there since conception. You can only teach them morals and what is right...how you go about doing that will determine if they follow them or not later on in life.

jp3975
09-29-2012, 06:01
1. If you are waiting for my disertation on child rearing, I'll get right back to you. But all you have to do is look around you, the evidence is everywhere if you aren't blind to it.

2. I did not indicate in my post that Nick was particularly "sinister". Just that they were wrong to link to the Twitter account and their apology was drivel.

3. "Its pretty much undisputed that the stricter you are, the worse your kids will be". Well, I dispute it and I would like you to link to the studies that back up your "undisputed" opinion. Do you always just make up "facts" to bolster your argument?

4. How many children do you have and what are their ages?

5. I think it is safe to assume that while you read my post, you didn't understand a word of it.

Regards,

1./2. You're the one that said those that arent in agreement with you have "no clue how to raise children into morally responsible adults"

3. Its hardly made up. There is a stereotype about preachers kids for a reason. You cant deny that there are scores of kids with overbearing parents who try to control everything where the kid doesnt go wild as soon as they taste freedom. Kids in such households are also more likely to lie to their parents. This isnt opinion...this is what i saw in high school with a lot of kids as well as college. When I was 18-22 I hung out with a lot of high school age kids. Ive seen all this a million times. Furthermore what ive said has been confirmed on many a post on GT over the years via other people's experience.

You may get lucky, but fact is, that you are more likely to have kids that lie to you and/or do bad things because their parents try to control them.

Perhaps I did misread your post. I can agree with you that a lot of parents dont raise their kids right by letting them get away with murder with no discipline.

But most of us are talking about tv...a kids network and you respond that we dont know how to raise children.

I dont give up too easy. Its just like arguing with liberals...or anyone with opposing views on politics. You know the other guy isnt going to change his mind but you do it anyway. :rofl:

Good thing you didnt mention Harry Potter. Ive seen a lot of parents have heart attacks about that one.

Most kids ive known who's parents where strict where well behaved...with their parents around. But when they get to be teens, or get to college...especially if its a girl, they go wild.

Bren
09-29-2012, 06:04

The first thing this thread remined me of was that Cartoon Network/Adult Swim (apparently 2 networks on 1 channel) actually has a show with a character based on one of Kentucky's real life prison inmates. His claim to fame is that he is a notorious homosexual rapist. Fleece Johnson was an inmate at Kentucky State Penitentiary, but ended up becoming a character on The Boondocks on Adult Swim, which Cartoon Network turns into at night. Fleece Johnson "the Booty Warrior" - his catch phrase is: "I like ya...and I want cha...and we can do this this the easy way or the hard way. It's your choice." In one episode he rapes Chris Hansen on a cartoon version of "To Catch A Predator".

However, I'm pretty sure straight rapists are still not PC enough for cartoons.

tantrix
09-29-2012, 06:08
Good thing you didnt mention Harry Potter. Ive seen a lot of parents have heart attacks about that one.

Oh, I've heard that one too...parents saying that it was "witchcraft" and they didn't allow it. Seriously? The fantasy genre has been around long before Harry Potter came about (Forgotten Realms/Dungeons & Dragons). I grew up reading those and playing the game, and I never once got the urge to have a seance.

I think some people just take things far beyond logical these days because they see parents who don't parent AT ALL. I get that, but like politics...the far left is wrong AND the far right is also wrong. I'm a middle-ground kind of guy.

jp3975
09-29-2012, 06:13
The first thing this thread remined me of was that Cartoon Network/Adult Swim (apparently 2 networks on 1 channel) actually has a show with a character based on one of Kentucky's real life prison inmates. His claim to fame is that he is a notorious homosexual rapist. Fleece Johnson was an inmate at Kentucky State Penitentiary, but ended up becoming a character on The Boondocks on Adult Swim, which Cartoon Network turns into at night. Fleece Johnson "the Booty Warrior" - his catch phrase is: "I like ya...and I want cha...and we can do this this the easy way or the hard way. It's your choice." In one episode he rapes Chris Hansen on a cartoon version of "To Catch A Predator".

However, I'm pretty sure straight rapists are still not PC enough for cartoons.

Boondocks is hilarious. Definitely not for younger kids...though some of the shows on adult swim are fine. Had no idea that rapist was real.

Here's the episode you where referring to. One of the best ones in the series imo.

Boondocks - A Date With the Booty Warrior (full episode) - YouTube

I found this interview with the rapist. If you watch the cartoon and watch this...its interesting the similarities.

The Real Booty Warrior "Fleece Johnson" from Boondocks Season 3 - YouTube

jp3975
09-29-2012, 06:18
Oh, I've heard that one too...parents saying that it was "witchcraft" and they didn't allow it. Seriously? The fantasy genre has been around long before Harry Potter came about (Forgotten Realms/Dungeons & Dragons). I grew up reading those and playing the game, and I never once got the urge to have a seance.

I think some people just take things far beyond logical these days because they see parents who don't parent AT ALL. I get that, but like politics...the far left is wrong AND the far right is also wrong. I'm a middle-ground kind of guy.

Yeah...pretty crazy the things people rationalize. HP is for kids and there isnt a thing wrong with it. Witchcraft...like I can waive a magic wand and make magical things happen.

These arent "witches" in the biblical sense. Too many people misinterpret the bible.

OctoberRust
09-29-2012, 06:47

Should have taken him to a rammstein concert. Now that would have been a sight for a 9 year old, and probably a LOT of questions asked to you about the "performance" after. :cool::rofl::rofl::supergrin:

OctoberRust
09-29-2012, 06:48
Boondocks is hilarious. Definitely not for younger kids...though some of the shows on adult swim are fine. Had no idea that rapist was real.

Here's the episode you where referring to. One of the best ones in the series imo.

Boondocks - A Date With the Booty Warrior (full episode) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da0Eejs9rbk)

I found this interview with the rapist. If you watch the cartoon and watch this...its interesting the similarities.

The Real Booty Warrior "Fleece Johnson" from Boondocks Season 3 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmHDoH0s3AA)

Love the boondocks, have all 3 seasons. They spare no race, religion, or political party on that show. EVERYONE gets made fun of. :rofl:

jp3975
09-29-2012, 06:48
Should have taken him to a rammstein concert. Now that would have been a sight for a 9 year old, and probably a LOT of questions asked to you about the "performance" after. :cool::rofl::rofl::supergrin:

A Rammstein show is a little too adult for most adults. :rofl:

tantrix
09-29-2012, 07:00

http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Rage-Challenge-Accepted.jpg

Rammstein is now on the list. :rofl:

jp3975
09-29-2012, 07:08
http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Rage-Challenge-Accepted.jpg

Pass on Gwar though. :tongueout:

Hokie
09-29-2012, 07:21
Either way...if you're boycotting a network over what one guy voice acting on one cartoon said on his personal pages....then you may as well stop paying the cable bill accept for maybe to watch fox news and weather channel.

Nick publicized his tweeter feed to kids. Do you really think it is a good idea to tell kids to go visit a site that post the things that dipBEEP posts?

OctoberRust
09-29-2012, 07:28

:rofl::rofl: haha right on man.

I'm in the camp of "children know the difference between reality, fantasy, and performances much more than people give them credit for." I'm sure your son would have a blast if he likes heavy metal. http://www.deviantart.com/download/162480745/Rammstein_Sehnsucht_Gif_by_XsquirrelXhaterX.gif

Hell, my first album I got is when I was 8 years old. It was "anti-christ super star" by Marilyn Manson. I watched him on MTV and loved that album, was very thought provoking, even at the age of 8. :wavey:

Marilyn Manson 12-Anti-Christ Superstar - YouTube

tantrix
09-29-2012, 07:38
Pass on Gwar though. :tongueout:

Yeah, I saw Gwar about 10 years ago, that would be a little...weird. :rofl:

:rofl::rofl: haha right on man.

I'm in the camp of "children know the difference between reality, fantasy, and performances much more than people give them credit for." I'm sure your son would have a blast if he likes heavy metal.

He's seen Tool, Rob Zombie, a ton of acts. Louisiana is already heavily influenced by music, so he was into instruments and everything else at a young age (like 3-4) like I was.

Angry Fist
09-29-2012, 09:16
Yeah, I saw Gwar about 10 years ago, that would be a little...weird. :rofl:

Didn't like being "peed" on? :supergrin:

tantrix
09-29-2012, 09:56
Didn't like being "peed" on? :supergrin:

Yeah, you could say that...although I wasn't close enough for it. :rofl:

Angry Fist
09-29-2012, 10:22
Yeah, you could say that...although I wasn't close enough for it. :rofl:
Throw that in there with "You ain't lived until...." :supergrin:

tantrix
09-29-2012, 10:43
Throw that in there with "You ain't lived until...." :supergrin:

Is it wrong that there's a small, sick, twisted part of me that wishes I was just a few rows closer? :rock:

Angry Fist
09-29-2012, 11:17
IDK, get better tickets next time! It's only lemonade....

jp3975
09-29-2012, 12:50
Nick publicized his tweeter feed to kids. Do you really think it is a good idea to tell kids to go visit a site that post the things that dipBEEP posts?

Which was an error on their part. Name a kid that gives a crap about a voice actor on a cartoon aimed at younger kids. Furthermore, do you let your young children go on twitter?

Either way, its crazy to stop your kids from watching anything on that channel because of it. They have the best shows for kids/teens out there. Hell...i watch some of them. :rofl:

tantrix
09-29-2012, 13:08
Either way, its crazy to stop your kids from watching anything on that channel because of it. They have the best shows for kids/teens out there. Hell...i watch some of them. :rofl:

I have to admit, I have a fav...

http://zipmeme.com/uploads/generated/g1346099927299660326.jpg

kazecap0ne
09-29-2012, 14:49
While i think it was a mistake for Nick to link to his twitter feed, my kids don't have access to twitter anyway. Its all about the content of the show that i decide if my children can watch it or not.

happyguy
09-29-2012, 18:06
1./2. You're the one that said those that arent in agreement with you have "no clue how to raise children into morally responsible adults"

3. Its hardly made up. There is a stereotype about preachers kids for a reason. You cant deny that there are scores of kids with overbearing parents who try to control everything where the kid doesnt go wild as soon as they taste freedom. Kids in such households are also more likely to lie to their parents. This isnt opinion...this is what i saw in high school with a lot of kids as well as college. When I was 18-22 I hung out with a lot of high school age kids. Ive seen all this a million times. Furthermore what ive said has been confirmed on many a post on GT over the years via other people's experience.

You may get lucky, but fact is, that you are more likely to have kids that lie to you and/or do bad things because their parents try to control them.

Perhaps I did misread your post. I can agree with you that a lot of parents dont raise their kids right by letting them get away with murder with no discipline.

But most of us are talking about tv...a kids network and you respond that we dont know how to raise children.

I dont give up too easy. Its just like arguing with liberals...or anyone with opposing views on politics. You know the other guy isnt going to change his mind but you do it anyway. :rofl:

Most kids ive known who's parents where strict where well behaved...with their parents around. But when they get to be teens, or get to college...especially if its a girl, they go wild.

Yep, just let them raise themselves, that'll solve everything.

Regards,

jp3975
09-30-2012, 02:55
Yep, just let them raise themselves, that'll solve everything.

Regards,

I dont think letting them watch a kids network and not controlling every aspect of your kids lives is akin to letting them raise themselves. I never said there shouldnt be discipline...just that you shouldnt sweat the small stuff. And watching a kids channel is certainly small stuff. No one has yet pointed out anything inappropriate on the channel itself.

There is a fine line between being responsible and being so controlling that they resent you for it.

If you want an extreme example...look to the Amish. They control everything even after you're an adult. Decide you dont want to live like its Little House on the Prairie and your own family wont talk to you anymore. Yet lots of kids coming of age leave because of the repressive nature in which they had to live. And guess what. Lots of them end up on drugs and worse....because they where so repressed that they went wild as soon as they had a taste of freedom.

Ive seen this happen with tons of teens from strict backgrounds. Im sure you've seen it too.

All im saying is that you've got to have balance. If you dont give your kid some level of trust and freedom then they will resent you, and likely do stuff behind your back.

I went to a Christian school. One preachers daughter had sex with 17 people by age 19. Another preacher's son did drugs. Everyone drank. The youth pastor's daughter at my church had sex with her boyfriend in one of the sunday school rooms and was caught. A girl i knew who's parents wouldnt let me talk to her ended up pregnant in her first semester of college by a 38 year old. My ex wife...her parents said she couldnt date till 18 and forbid her from speaking to me, even when i offered to do it under their supervision and never take her out of her house. She also couldnt go to friends bday parties if there where boys there even when supervised. She moved in with me on her 18th birthday. Didnt talk to her dad for about a year and he didnt come to the wedding...though her mom and aunts did. We lasted 5 years after.

My own parents where strict with me, and while I love them, I resent a lot of things they did to this day.

There have been others on GT with similar experiences stated in past threads.

So go ahead...be strict with your children. Hopefully you'll be the lucky ones that it works out ok with.

droidfire
09-30-2012, 03:11

No duh - A guy couldn't actually admit they were comfortable and keep his card, could he? Gotta have a reason to complain about silky smoothness.

Closet is a safe dark place...

gwalchmai
09-30-2012, 04:58
Wow, interesting perspectives. I think some of you are still deep in your adolescent rebellion phase...

After reading all of it I have to say - no more Nick at my house. ;)

Bren
09-30-2012, 05:13
Wow, interesting perspectives. I think some of you are still deep in your adolescent rebellion phase...

Rammstein? I think half the people on this thread are in early adolescence - they'll be less oppressed by their parents when they're old enough to drive.:whistling:

jp3975
09-30-2012, 06:33

Yep...Im rebeling against my folks and watching Victorious on Nick without them knowing. :rofl:

gwalchmai
09-30-2012, 06:45
Yep...Im rebeling against my folks and watching Victorious on Nick without them knowing. :rofl:Why did you think I was referring to you? And how do you know your parents don't know what you're watching... :supergrin:

John Rambo
09-30-2012, 07:00

<-- SpongeBob Fan

Yet the Looney Toons I grew up watching don't get shown anymore for some reason, I bet they said they were racially insensitive with a fast-talking Mexican mouse and a hunter with a speech problem.

The Bugs Bunny episode with the Gremlin and the air force planes - first one ever done in Technicolor - still trumps 100% of the crap they show children today.

jp3975
09-30-2012, 15:33
Why did you think I was referring to you? And how do you know your parents don't know what you're watching... :supergrin:

Just a guess. And i assume they arent psychic.:tongueout:

Yet the Looney Toons I grew up watching don't get shown anymore for some reason, I bet they said they were racially insensitive with a fast-talking Mexican mouse and a hunter with a speech problem.

The Bugs Bunny episode with the Gremlin and the air force planes - first one ever done in Technicolor - still trumps 100% of the crap they show children today.

Actually they play it on cartoon network after everything else goes off. They may play it on boomerang. Im just assuming though since they play old cartoons.

I dont think Looney Toons being insensitive is an issue. Check out the cartoon I posted in post #97. Not only is it about prison rape, but uncle ruckus says a lot of racist things...including about the president. Thats who his character is. A very racist guy who hates his own race. They even had an episode showing how crazy people where during the obama election. Ill find that one for you...its brilliant. I couldnt find the tv version so theres a lot of bad language. Fair warning.

BoonDocks HD Season 3 Episode 1 It's a Black President, Huey Freeman 360p - YouTube

Looney Toons just doesnt get played much because its been seen so many times and people dont want to watch it anymore. Its all about ratings. If millions would watch, theyd put it on prime time on any channel.

And you're entitled to your opinion but I disagree. I prefer something with more of a plot. Loony Toons is slapstick comedy.

OctoberRust
10-03-2012, 06:17
Why did you think I was referring to you? And how do you know your parents don't know what you're watching... :supergrin:

He was reffering to Tantrix and I.

I know, I'm in a very rebellious adolescent stage of my life.

Sp rebellious in fact, I told my mom I'm rebelling! so I got a job working for 60k a year..

So rebellious, I told my mom, screw you! I'm rebelling! I'm buying a house and paying it off quicker than most would ever think of.

So rebellious, I told my mom, screw you! I'm starting a 401k and putting a good chunk of my paycheck into high dividend stocks as well.

Or what...... Maybe listening or being open to a certain type of music/culture that is thought provoking, isn't necessarily a bad or rebellious thing? :dunno:

You use the term loosely, so you could be implying anything, that's just how I took it. :supergrin: At any rate, it wouldn't surprise me if you were just being judgmental on someone's taste in music/entertainment.

gwalchmai
10-03-2012, 07:10
He was reffering to Tantrix and I.

I know, I'm in a very rebellious adolescent stage of my life.

Sp rebellious in fact, I told my mom I'm rebelling! so I got a job working for 60k a year.. It's really sad when people losing internet arguments try to impress total strangers with their salary figures. But, hey, that's an AWESOME salary, dewd! You can probably buy all the rap CDs and big-screen TVs you'd ever want! :upeyes:

OctoberRust
10-03-2012, 07:24
It's really sad when people losing internet arguments try to impress total strangers with their salary figures. But, hey, that's an AWESOME salary, dewd! You can probably buy all the rap CDs and big-screen TVs you'd ever want! :upeyes:

Trying to impress someone with a 60k salary? LOL I don't think that's something to be impressed over, and I'm striving to make that number grow. However, since you were implying I was a rebellious adolescent, I showed you, I got a big boy's job, I got a big boy's house, and I own shares like big boys do.

It's ok, now I know how much (or in this case how little) you make, by the ill will it generated from you. haha.

Win the internet argument? It's not too hard to do that when we argue with you.

hamster
10-03-2012, 07:50

<-- SpongeBob Fan

George Carlin did voiceovers for Thomas the Tank Engine. I let me son watch that, I would not let him watch George Carlin standup specials.

I judge content I let my son see based on the "content" not based on what some voice actor drunk tweets. There isn't enough time in the day for me to look into the political and social lives of every minor actor in every children's show.

gwalchmai
10-03-2012, 07:52
Trying to impress someone with a 60k salary? LOL I don't think that's something to be impressed over, and I'm striving to make that number grow. However, since you were implying I was a rebellious adolescent, I showed you, I got a big boy's job, I got a big boy's house, and I own shares like big boys do.

It's ok, now I know how much (or in this case how little) you make, by the ill will it generated from you. haha.

Win the internet argument? It's not too hard to do that when we argue with you.Yes, you are SUCH a big boy! Mama's gonna be SO proud! Run upstairs and tell her.

gwalchmai
10-03-2012, 07:55
George Carlin did voiceovers for Thomas the Tank Engine. I let me son watch that, I would not let him watch George Carlin standup specials.

I judge content I let my son see based on the "content" not based on what some voice actor drunk tweets. There isn't enough time in the day for me to look into the political and social lives of every minor actor in every children's show.That's great, but I'm afraid you missed the point a little. An apt analogy would be if PBS promoted Carlin's standup albums on the kids' show.

hamster
10-03-2012, 08:06
That's great, but I'm afraid you missed the point a little. An apt analogy would be if PBS promoted Carlin's standup albums on the kids' show.

A little off subject but now that you bring it up:

Hulu Rant > If I'm playing my 2 year old an episode of Backyardigans, for the love of god please don't have horror movie trailers as the commercials.

tantrix
10-03-2012, 08:12
A little off subject but now that you bring it up:

Hulu Rant > If I'm playing my 2 year old an episode of Backyardigans, for the love of god please don't have horror movie trailers as the commercials.

I think I've started all my kids on horror movies by 2 years old. :rofl:

Ruggles
10-03-2012, 08:14
George Carlin was one of the dirtiest comics, but did narration for the Thomas the train TV show.

Great point. :wavey:

OctoberRust
10-03-2012, 08:14
Yes, you are SUCH a big boy! Mama's gonna be SO proud! Run upstairs and tell her.

Look who's resorting to insults now.

Pot, meet kettle. :cool:

OctoberRust
10-03-2012, 08:15
I think I've started all my kids on horror movies by 2 years old. :rofl:

Stop being a rebellious adolescent. :crying::crying::crying: Do it for the children. :crying::crying:

gwalchmai
10-03-2012, 08:16
Looks who's resorting to insults now.That was a compliment.

OctoberRust
10-03-2012, 08:21
That was a compliment.

Implying someone is living with their mom is a compliment?

Looks like someone needs to brush up on their social skills.

tantrix
10-03-2012, 08:29
Stop being a rebellious adolescent. :crying::crying::crying: Do it for the children. :crying::crying:

I grew up watching horror movies with my dad as early as I can remember, and it's still my favorite genre. I still can't figure out how, in my 32 years of life, I've never killed someone with a machete or an axe.

OctoberRust
10-03-2012, 08:38
I grew up watching horror movies with my dad as early as I can remember, and it's still my favorite genre. I still can't figure out how, in my 32 years of life, I've never killed someone with a machete or an axe.

You want to talk about irresponsible parents, my mom left me with a shotgun in my room when I was 12. AND I had duke nukem, doom, counter-strike, all the horror movies I could watch until I was bored out of my mind, and I am with you, I still don't know how I didn't go super-crazy massacre on everyone from those things those evil movies taught me.

I mean, I had the means. I had various loads and a mossberg maverick 88 my mom gifted me for passing hunter's ed.

The horrors. I think we need to live in Gwalch's world more. When I have kids, I'll pad every corner on my house, and keep them in an oxygen bubble. It's for the children. :crying:

Why doesn't anyone think of the children anymore?!!?!? :crying:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Fm5GxFJQRUQ/Te0B7Ljej_I/AAAAAAAADrA/N4_n_YwN4mg/s1600/Parent%2527s+Television+Council.jpg

OctoberRust
10-03-2012, 08:40

Oh you know what'd really fire up Gwalch?!

Since my mom is an interior designer, she had/has TONS of gay designer friends. :rofl::rofl: PHEW !!!! I don't know how I didn't turn out gay!!!!! :rofl::rofl: I hear if you hang around them or have them as parent figures when you're a child, you turn out a homosexual. :rofl:

gwalchmai
10-03-2012, 08:41
Implying someone is living with their mom is a compliment?In your case, yes, but I was mostly complimenting you on the job and salary and stuff you were bragging about.

gwalchmai
10-03-2012, 08:43
The horrors. I think we need to live in Gwalch's world more. You're really grasping now. It ain't gonna help.

OctoberRust
10-03-2012, 08:43
In your case, yes, but I was mostly complimenting you on the job and salary and stuff you were bragging about.

So an insult mixed with a compliment? :rofl:

Is this where I say ARGH! NO YOU!, and thanks, at the same time? :dunno:

gwalchmai
10-03-2012, 08:45
So an insult mixed with a compliment? :rofl:

Is this where I say ARGH! NO YOU!, and thanks, at the same time? :dunno:Maybe. It wouldn't be inconsistent with your other insightful posts...

OctoberRust
10-03-2012, 08:59
Maybe. It wouldn't be inconsistent with your other insightful posts...
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maqb9sIQGm1r23lnc.gif

rhikdavis
10-03-2012, 12:38
gfdhdhdh

Same to you, pal.

Hrsuhd
10-04-2012, 19:34
I think the point for me was the pedophile jokes from his wife. When he is going to be making apperances around lots of kids.(educated guess.)