Have you ever been shot? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever been shot?

hotrodcummins12v
09-28-2012, 06:30
I would really like to hear form someone who has (unfortunately) been shot. We all have different ideas on how a self-defense situation would do down. We all hope one shot will be enough to stop the treat, but we've seen some poor placed shots on the news and the perp keeps on going. I hunt and I know that some animals can still have a lot of fight left in them even with a vital shot. Is it painful initially? Does adrenaline take over? If I were to be shot by a BG, would there still be a chance for retaliation? I'm not trolling, and this is something that I have always wondered about. I've tried to search for previous threads but no matter how you try to search someone being shot on a gun forum, you get hundreds of threads. Thanks

Sub Club 828
1911 Club 828
Outdoor Hub Mobile

Bill Powell
09-28-2012, 07:39
yes, I was about six. 12 ga, rock salt. It hurts til the salt completely melts.

DustyJacket
09-28-2012, 07:51
A .22 in the back - allegedly by accident. I was protected. Not even as much pain as a bee sting. She went away....

A .45 in the hip. I did this one myself (I hate you DeSantis). Thought I had just burned myself until the wet started. When I reached down to check, my finger went into the hole. It didn't really hurt a lot until I got to the hospital and was walking to the ER.

In neither case was I disabled by pain in any way. I don't think it was adrenaline. I think the nerves were numbed, until later.

I would think that unless there was physical damage like shattered joints or leg/arm bones or a shot to the heart, brain, liver, I could finish the fight - then things would catch up with me.

woodasptim
09-28-2012, 08:11
Not really, but close enough. I got hit with some 12 gauge #6 shot on a ricochet, had to pick a few pellets out of my chest with a pocket knife. We were out rabbit hunting and someone had thrown an old refrigerator compressor into the brush.

racer11
09-28-2012, 08:50
Not me but friend of mine who I can describe his experience.

.45 in the back and thru his torso and out the front,,,he lived.

He had a jewelry shop and was robbed. Perp came in and wanted to look at some rings for his GF. Owner showed him some rings and when the owner looked down to get another ring the perp pulled his gat and said give'em to me.

The owner make a big mistake at that point. Instead of letting the perp just go and hand over the ring (s) the owner turned away from the perp and made a dash for the back to get his gun. When he turned his back toward the perp, the perp made a quick shot and plugged him. Bullet went in his lower right back and came out just below his right nipple. The bullet did not hit any vital organs and just missed them by centimeters. He then was able to stumble to the back room and get his gun and waited for the perp to come and finish him off. The perp knew he went for a gun ( he stated later,,that is why he shot him) instead the perp left the shop in order to escape. Owner heard the entrance door close and he then called the cops and then called his wife to inform her that he was wounded by gunfire.

Owner told me that the impact of the bullet felt like someone slugged him in the back with a sludge hammer or baseball bat knocking the wind out of him. There was little blood and not as much pain as you would think until later on. Worst pain was when the paramedics shoved a giant needle in his lungs thru his side,,,first try they hit a rib and had to do it again. He said the paramedic took the palm on his hand and shoved it in him,,he said it was like getting speared and it hurt like total hell.

About 2 weeks in the hospital and tender and sore for a month or so and some pain in his chest area for several months later. He required no surgery and is now completely healed and he retired at that point and closed the business. Perp was caught and after all the court crap was finally incarcerated in the Kansas Department of corrections and I think housed in the Eldorado Kansas facility.

Before this incident the owner and I were talking gun stuff and I advised him to carry his gun on his person and be super observant and ready when he gets a funny feeling and listen to his instinct's, and I invited him to come out to my place and he could get some shooting experience. The owner had little to no shooting experience at all and did not really know much about guns and ballistics or anything. Owner told me that he did have a funny feeling when the perp came in but he did not act on his feelings.

In my opinion this is a good example where having a gun and not having any knowledge or any skills with the gun got him shot. If he had not of went for his gun he probably would have not been shot and maybe the perp would have just left with his stolen property,,,no one knows for sure.

This happened about a year ago, the owner now has some anxiety when he is out of his home and around a black male, the perp was a black male,,, For some reason in some situations something will trip a PTSD incident.

I hope this answers the OP's question.

series1811
09-28-2012, 08:58
Nope. Shot at, but not hit. Had two partners shot. One in the torso with a .22 (no pain at first, and then extreme pain, full recovery) then another, shot in the head and shoulder with a .357 Sig (shot the persons who shot him and then walked to the ambulance and then spent a month in the hospital recovering, close to full recovery).

And, a lot of other people I know. It's amazing how often they didn't know they were shot until later, and how many had wounds that looked bad but were not disabling.

FFR Spyder GT
09-28-2012, 09:27
I went bird hunting with Dick Cheney ..... once.

Does that count?:dunno:

The only time I've ever been shot was with a Czech Škorpion vz. 61 9mm Makarov and I was wearing a late '80s style SBA and it didn't penetrate the vest.

I did end up with a few bruises from the 3 rounds to the chest.

I'm glad I was wearing a vest and that the BG didn't have anything bigger.

glock_19guy1983
09-28-2012, 09:29
.22 to the calf when I was 12 years old. I watched a few too many westerns. Never felt it till the blood started running down my leg. I walked a half mile home. Doctor said i was lucky because the bullet passed 1/4 inch from an artery. It took till my sophmore year in high school to live down the nickname "quick draw".

kensb2
09-28-2012, 09:31
Lucky for me, I've only been shot at, not shot. AQI doesn't have the best marksmen in town. I think that Lone Wolf could probably fill you in quite well on what it's like to be shot.

Glotin
09-28-2012, 10:04
I would really like to hear form someone who has (unfortunately) been shot. We all have different ideas on how a self-defense situation would do down. We all hope one shot will be enough to stop the treat, but we've seen some poor placed shots on the news and the perp keeps on going. I hunt and I know that some animals can still have a lot of fight left in them even with a vital shot. Is it painful initially? Does adrenaline take over? If I were to be shot by a BG, would there still be a chance for retaliation? I'm not trolling, and this is something that I have always wondered about. I've tried to search for previous threads but no matter how you try to search someone being shot on a gun forum, you get hundreds of threads. Thanks

Sub Club 828
1911 Club 828
Outdoor Hub Mobile

It depends entirely on the person and their training, mindset, situation, mental toughness etc.

Some people will crumple and become incapacitated even if they haven't been shot and just think they have. (studies show about 10% of the population are cowards who can't function in combat)

...then there's guys like Mike Day, who went through a doorway in Iraq and took 27 rounds from 4 AK-47s + a grenade. 16 rounds to exposed areas and 11 to his armor/primary, which was blown out of his hands. As he was falling he drew his side arm and killed 2 of the 4. Ended up killing the other two between unconsciousness. You probably wouldn't be able to tell anything had happened to him if you saw him today.

I think that if you're aware of the fact that unless you're physically incapacitated (hit to CNS or blood/BP loss) there's no reason you can't fight on, and are determined to do so, that goes a long way.

Most people wouldn't fall over if you nailed them with a baseball as they were running. Most people would fall over if you shot them as they were running. The force is roughly the same. People are psychologically conditioned to fall down when they get shot because that's what's expected... that's what you see in movies and stuff and you have the "holy $#(% I've been shot" factor.

Glock20 10mm
09-28-2012, 10:29
12GA rock salt when I was 12... shouldn't have been stealing the watermelon from Mr. Coleman's crop.

CAcop
09-28-2012, 10:29
I took a frag in the arm during training. Still there. It felt like a rock hitting my arm.

I know one person who was shot in the chest in the DMZ in Korea and one guy at work hit in the chest. Both were never the same because of ribs and a lung not healing right.

1-2man
09-28-2012, 10:56
Shot at, but never shot, from across a park with a full auto Tech 9 (at least that's what the cops said it was.) My buddy's camaro wasn't so lucky.

bmoore
09-28-2012, 10:56
Just peppered during dove season by idiots shooting at low flying birds. I was in a lady's house once when she capped herself in the head, you can have that whole shots fired thing.

fusegsp
09-28-2012, 11:05
I had a small piece of a 9mm jacket ricochet off of a spinner target and stick to my abdomen. I think the target hadn't been used for awhile and was rusted in place or gummed up in some way. Just a speck of blood. It probably wouldn't of even stuck to me if I'd been wearing a shirt. I guess I should've kept this gem of a story in my pocket until a "Ever caught A Very Small Ricochet?" thread came up.

G29Reload
09-28-2012, 11:07
Yes.

.22, from over my shoulder by psycho later sent to mental hospital.

Hit my leg, flesh wound, skated over bone and exited. Did not notice till I got to house, bled a bit, ambulance ride, no pain really. Keflex (antibiotics) and bandage. That's it. Almost doesn't count.

Snaps
09-28-2012, 11:13
2 rounds, interceptor vest caught em both, and wasn't like the movies where its like oh crap and keep going. I thought I was dying.

.264 magnum
09-28-2012, 11:18
.22 to the calf when I was 12 years old. I watched a few too many westerns. Never felt it till the blood started running down my leg. I walked a half mile home. Doctor said i was lucky because the bullet passed 1/4 inch from an artery. It took till my sophmore year in high school to live down the nickname "quick draw".

You only thought the nickname was retired.

Quick Draw. That is awesome!

wjv
09-28-2012, 11:36
Had an AMT .22 Magnum blow up in my hand. Hand needed surgery. Not much pain for the first hour. . . Then it hurt like a son of a . .

glockrod
09-28-2012, 11:42
could offer more knowledge than you could ever care to know, but I think you better read about it in a search as I dont think she likes rehashing that moment too much.

Could you blame her.

Rod

09-28-2012, 11:49
Twice.

1st time a fool jumped out of a bush and shot me with a shotgun. Was not using slugs or buck. Nothing went thru my clothes. got a few scratches on my face. Buddy behind me wasted the fool.

2nd time took either a 308 or a 762x39 to right calf. It was thankfully a riccochet. Knocked my leg out underneath me. Didn't break skin, but left a hugh bruise and limped badly for several days. Saw shiny object in grass. Picked it up and burned my fingers. Was what was left of bullet. All brass gone, just the steel inner core. Had it drilled for chain. Kept it for many years until my future ex somehow threw it away by mistake ??? with all the rest of my Marine mementos.

Batesmotel
09-28-2012, 11:57
5.56 round hit a rock next to my shin. Took a bunch of fragments. Sting bad but what surprised me was the heat.

Glock20 10mm
09-28-2012, 14:11
2 rounds, interceptor vest caught em both, and wasn't like the movies where its like oh crap and keep going. I thought I was dying.

Heard a team mate get nailed in the chest... armor stopped the round but didn't matter, he was still bruised and it knock the crap out of him. He went down and I though his armor had been compromised so I am shoving my hand underneath feeling for blood... all I did was make the pain worse.

Glockaround the Clock
09-28-2012, 14:23
Hit by a richochet once. Had a partner shot - but that was off duty , his wife shot him.

Skeet732
09-28-2012, 14:32
Kept it for many years until my future ex somehow threw it away by mistake ??? with all the rest of my Marine mementos.

Did you kill her quickly or draw it out for days>

Hellraiser
09-28-2012, 14:39
Have you ever been shot?

A few times in the torso... one in the top of foot... and once in the leg.

Long time ago... I posted pics with my gunshots on this forum... but I got knocked down by Eric from violating the picture posting rules. Ain't gonna do that again.

^..^

MoparMan1991
09-28-2012, 15:55
Freshman year at a friends house at approximately 2100. Weapon: CO2 air pistol. Projectile: .177 caliber copper coated bb. Location: Right side of nose.

concretefuzzynuts
09-28-2012, 16:23
I've been hit with a bunch of ricochets at ranges. Two that drew blood. But no, never directly shot. Would rather not.

Jason D
09-28-2012, 16:46
Only in the loosest sense.
I had a .45 slug come flying back at me from a 25 yard steel plate.

Left a good bruise, but no broken skin.

plasticslap
09-28-2012, 16:59
Got fragged at a steel match. I was scoring a shooter on the left side of the bay when a fragment came off the steel target closest to me and hit me in the left cheek. I thought I had a bug bite until I went to wipe and my hand was covered in blood. It sucked.

arclight610
09-28-2012, 17:02
.32 ACP to the boot, didn't make it through. I was in mid stride so it sort of moved my foot a little bit. Felt like a foot cramp for awhile.

Dragoon44
09-28-2012, 17:16
Shot in the head in an ambush attack on duty. The fact I was in motion. (Opening squad car door and rolling out is why the bullet did not penetrate the skull. Felt like someone hit me with a baseball bat. And I was seriously pissed off about it.

The impact caused a Subdural hematoma giving me headaches even excedrin could not touch. ( Demerol worked though..) Spent a week in the hospital. overall effect was similar to having had a stroke. Took a while to overcome the slurred speech and being able to write again. Visual defects ( blind spots in my vision) are permanent though.

jp3975
09-28-2012, 17:28
Shot in the head in an ambush attack on duty. The fact I was in motion. (Opening squad car door and rolling out is why the bullet did not penetrate the skull. Felt like someone hit me with a baseball bat. And I was seriously pissed off about it.

The impact caused a Subdural hematoma giving me headaches even excedrin could not touch. ( Demerol worked though..) Spent a week in the hospital. overall effect was similar to having had a stroke. Took a while to overcome the slurred speech and being able to write again. Visual defects ( blind spots in my vision) are permanent though.

Did they catch him?

Dragoon44
09-28-2012, 17:44
Did they catch him?

Yeah but since he was a juvie ( one with a LOOOONG criminal record) they plea bargained it down to agg battery instead of attempted murder.

He spent 5 years in prison, got out for a year, went back in on drug charges. just got out a few months ago and is now sitting in the county Jail after ambushing another cop.

jp3975
09-28-2012, 18:10
Yeah but since he was a juvie ( one with a LOOOONG criminal record) they plea bargained it down to agg battery instead of attempted murder.

He spent 5 years in prison, got out for a year, went back in on drug charges. just got out a few months ago and is now sitting in the county Jail after ambushing another cop.

Wow...how do you plea out of attempted murder when you shoot a cop in the head?

They should have executed him as far as im concerned.

Roger1079
09-28-2012, 18:12

He spent 5 years in prison, got out for a year, went back in on drug charges. just got out a few months ago and is now sitting in the county Jail after ambushing another cop.This is what is so skewed about our legal system. Why the hell is trash like this allowed to return to the population? Hopefully the next time this guy violates his parole, he makes a mistake that does the world a favor.

Dragoon44
09-28-2012, 18:15
Wow...how do you plea out of attempted murder when you shoot a cop in the head?

They should have executed him as far as im concerned.

And the best part (Sarcasm) is they had the weapon AND his confession and the State Attorney STILL allowed a plea bargain.

Averageman
09-28-2012, 18:27
I stuck my head out of the Commanders hatch and saw a puff of smoke hit the top of the turret in front of me felt a "Splash" of spall and got hit between the front teeth with something, it cut my lip and spun up my cheek and cut my ear inside my CVC.
Amazingly now 20+ years later I got what I thought was a zit on my upper chest right below the collar bone. I picked it and a metal splinter about an 1/8th of an inch long came out.
Somedays your good and somedays your just damned lucky.

PBCounty
09-28-2012, 18:30
Does a return-to-sender into my jeans at the range count? About a second prior the girl next to me took one into her bicep.

Rick C
09-28-2012, 18:32
Y’all that took a bullet have my respect.
My experience was only a flesh wound.
1982, Lafayette, LA.
I took a .380 to outside mid-thigh from a seriously pissed off dis-placed St. Augustine, FL, surfer-girl. That was about 2 years into a 12 year relationship. Oh, the memories.:supergrin:

tantrix
09-28-2012, 18:48
Not shot, but shot at...fully auto 7.62 AK, about 7 rounds into the side of my car.

Booker
09-28-2012, 19:13
Got shot in the lower left jaw while desert camping near Somerton, Arizona. Border Patrol thought it might have be a Coyote bringing a load of illegals into the country. They found a 7.62 x 39 shell casing. Still have a chunk of steel in there that freaks out my dentist every time I have an x-ray!

I purchased my first gun after that trip!

bmoore
09-28-2012, 19:23
Got shot in the lower left jaw while desert camping near Somerton, Arizona. Border Patrol thought it might have be a Coyote bringing a load of illegals into the country. They found a 7.62 x 39 shell casing. Still have a chunk of steel in there that freaks out my dentist every time I have an x-ray!

I purchased my first gun after that trip!

I coyote hunt down along the border by El Centro. I stopped going last year, just made me a little too nervous. Border patrol always comes and mess's up my calling stands anyways (no fault to them I appreciate the job they do). Still, when I head down to the valley to call I try to pack an AR along with my bolt 22-250.

I had a run in recently. I was on a game trail in deep southeast San Diego county just a few miles from the border. I came around a bend and bumped into some "international travlers" at contact distance. It was pretty tense for a few moments. They were alone and hurting pretty bad from the elements. Late winter near dusk, temps were gonna fall below freezing quick. They were diaphoretic, crappy skin signs and overall horrible general apperearance. I gave them my water and headed to my truck. At the border patrol checkpoint I told them the last location of the guys and that they were in bad shape. The agents took it very seriously.

gemeinschaft
09-28-2012, 19:26

I feel you.

I took one to the Left Kidney and my Plate took the blunt of the force and then soft armor behind it stopped the round.

I had hematuria for 4 days and it hurt like hell.

That being said, at initial impact, it hit me so hard I was somewhat stunned and did not feel pain for a good 3-4 minutes; but when the pain started, it was like someone just kept turning up the volume and it kept getting more intense.

Lucky for me, my buddy yanked my fat butt into the vehicle that I was in the process of entering and the driver floored it.

Getting shot is different for everyone. I had a team leader that had a round that passed right through the tricep close to the armpit nearly missing his artery. He didn't even realize he had been hit until about 30 minutes after we broke contact. He lit a cigarette and realized he had blood on his left hand. Needless to say, he is a hardass in my book.

Lone_Wolfe
09-28-2012, 20:44
Lucky for me, I've only been shot at, not shot. AQI doesn't have the best marksmen in town. I think that Lone_Wolfe could probably fill you in quite well on what it's like to be shot.

Yep, I could. Happened in Afghanistan in 2008. My experience won't answer the questions you're asking, it wasn't a self defense situation, it was an ambush. I was the first one hit and went down immediately, and didn't get up.

gh32
09-28-2012, 20:59
Not really, but close enough. I got hit with some 12 gauge #6 shot on a ricochet, Me too,had one pellet hit the top of my head once just bounced off and left a little whelp.I'm lucky and that's it though. My brother in law put a .22 through his foot once,lol

gh32
09-28-2012, 21:03
Y’all that took a bullet have my respect.
My experience was only a flesh wound.
1982, Lafayette, LA.
I took a .380 to outside mid-thigh from a seriously pissed off dis-placed St. Augustine, FL, surfer-girl. That was about 2 years into a 12 year relationship. Oh, the memories.:supergrin:
Don't think I'd of stuck around another 10 years,that would seem to me a good time for good byes

Lone_Wolfe
09-28-2012, 21:13
I believe Lone Wolfe
could offer more knowledge than you could ever care to know, but I think you better read about it in a search as I dont think she likes rehashing that moment too much.

Could you blame her.

Rod

The OP doesn't seem like he's trolling, so I'll answer any questions he has, even though my situation doesn't seem to be what he's looking for. Thanks, though. You're right, not a fun time to rehash. :wavey:

Rick C
09-28-2012, 21:18
Don't think I'd of stuck around another 10 years,that would seem to me a good time for good byes

^ Live and Learn. When it was good, it was really good, when it was bad......
No internet back then.:supergrin:

gh32
09-28-2012, 21:30
^ Live and Learn. When it was good, it was really good, when it was bad......
No internet back then.:supergrin:Oh,I know what you mean :supergrin:

Anglin_AZ
09-29-2012, 00:09
I got hit by someone throwing rocks and it hurt like a son of a bitz.

Trapped_in_Kali
09-29-2012, 00:28
At a party, I went in to disarm my best friend, shot at but not hit.

Marine123
09-29-2012, 00:32
Been shot at and close to an explosion it knocked the wind out of me and I saw those squiggly lines too.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

frizz
09-29-2012, 01:23
Yes.

.22, from over my shoulder by psycho later sent to mental hospital.

Hit my leg, flesh wound, skated over bone and exited. Did not notice till I got to house, bled a bit, ambulance ride, no pain really. Keflex (antibiotics) and bandage. That's it. Almost doesn't count.
Over your shoulder but it hit you in your leg???

Can you clarify?

fnfalman
09-29-2012, 01:27
Shot in the heart and you're to blame. You give love a bad name.

tantrix
09-29-2012, 03:48

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5tyzhL0Rq1rpg9f0o3_400.jpg

byf43
09-29-2012, 07:37
Got hit in the upper lip by a piece of bullet jacket at a small arms range, in Maryland, in '80.
The guy shooting next to me was shooting one of those new fangled "Wondernines" and he hit the hanging target 'stanchion' and a piece of bullet jacket came back.

Just 'stung'. My (then) wife said that I was bleeding.
I went to the bathroom to wash my face, and saw something 'glimmer'. A small piece of copper was stuck in my lip.
I pulled it out, and the blood just started flowing!
Got a 'butterfly' bandage out of my shooting kit, and closed it up.

The worst 'hit' I've ever experienced, was when I got shot by a rubberband. Darned thing hit me in the eye!!!!
Thought I was gonna die.

redbrd
09-29-2012, 07:48
Multiple frags. Carried one around quite a while. I actually thought it was an infected insect bite. It would never completely heal. Finally had it looked at not sure exactly were I picked that one up.
Funniest frag I caught in the nose. It was a 9mm that took an oblique angle off steel plate saw it coming. I knew from the get go it was going to hit me on the end of the nose. Evidently my brain was working faster than the rest of me. Put a nice little cut right on the end of my nose.

SFCSMITH(RET)
09-29-2012, 08:34
Yes.

I didn't like it very much.

OctoberRust
09-29-2012, 09:41
Richochet to the mouth shooting 9mm NATO in idpa. (I don't use gamer loads, I use my carry pistol with FMJ that replicate felt recoil of my carry loads).

Big ole chunk hit my lip, luckily slowing whatever speed it had left enough to just hit my tooth and not break it. Still hurt, I was spitting up blood from a split lip and the SO stopped the match/round even though I wanted to keep going. :supergrin:

hotrodcummins12v
09-29-2012, 09:48
Thanks everyone for all the replies! I didn't expect so many in less than a day. Some great stories to read. Lone_Wolfe, I've read your story a few months back and was simply amazed. Anyone who has taken a bullet in combat is a hero in my book and I feel for the ones who suffered it in the event of an accident. I'm glad everyone here live to tell their story and I hang my head for those who didn't.

Sub Club 828
1911 Club 828
Outdoor Hub Mobile

Lone_Wolfe
09-29-2012, 22:58
Thanks everyone for all the replies! I didn't expect so many in less than a day. Some great stories to read. Lone_Wolfe, I've read your story a few months back and was simply amazed. Anyone who has taken a bullet in combat is a hero in my book and I feel for the ones who suffered it in the event of an accident. I'm glad everyone here live to tell their story and I hang my head for those who didn't.

Sub Club 828
1911 Club 828
Outdoor Hub Mobile

Since you've read about me then I'm sure you know that the real hero is the man who died saving me. :patriot:

Magnus2131
09-29-2012, 23:10
Since you've read about me then I'm sure you know that the real hero is the man who died saving me. :patriot:
He is a hero to us all. Just glad you made it.

GVFlyer
09-30-2012, 00:21
Yes, while in the Green Machine. It hurt, I didn't like it, I wouldn't want it to happen again.

robin303
09-30-2012, 01:10
Had breakfast with 4 guys at a table before a mission and less than 45 minutes they were all shot dead and my helo had 7 rounds and one knocked out the main inverter and one round was two inches from the tail rotor gear box. The other two helos also got fire and the UH-60 got two rounds under the pilot seats. Picture taken from the ground and the red arrow was where one of the snipers were.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w83/robin303/3031P.jpg

For those who want to know what an inverter is:

http://books.google.com/books?id=hHg-AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq=helicopter+main+inverter&source=bl&ots=PKWY2KalMn&sig=d7DVSJnI1Ydewhmb7JbygorTzzo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=K-pnUMHZHsae2gXD8YC4CA&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=helicopter%20main%20inverter&f=false

Clutch Cargo
09-30-2012, 05:04
yes - no interesting musings as it was not fun

RadarP3C
09-30-2012, 17:13
Had breakfast with 4 guys at a table before a mission and less than 45 minutes they were all shot dead and my helo had 7 rounds and one knocked out the main inverter and one round was two inches from the tail rotor gear box. The other two helos also got fire and the UH-60 got two rounds under the pilot seats. Picture taken from the ground and the red arrow was where one of the snipers were.

http://books.google.com/books?id=hHg-AAAAYAAJ&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq=helicopter+main+inverter&source=bl&ots=PKWY2KalMn&sig=d7DVSJnI1Ydewhmb7JbygorTzzo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=K-pnUMHZHsae2gXD8YC4CA&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=helicopter%20main%20inverter&f=false

Robin, yeah, that's a b*tch! Sorry to hear that.

I've had fire control looking at me a few times.

390ish
09-30-2012, 19:12
Not shot. Shot at when I was 14 by a guy on an adjoining property who had bad PTSD and did not like deer hunters. That went over real well for him.

Had a Ross rifle come unglued at a public range. Rifle split in half at the juncture of the receiver and barrel and there were a lot of little pieces. They removed a few from my head. Got a concussion and passed out from shock. Was the day before Halloween last year. Scared the dickens out of kids when I handed out candy the next evening.

jdavionic
09-30-2012, 19:17
I've been hit with a bunch of ricochets at ranges. Two that drew blood. But no, never directly shot. Would rather not.

I know the feeling. For a while, I thought I was a human bullet magnet at matches. I could hide behind the fattest guy and still catch a fragment off steel.

That aside, I've been shot at where the intent was to kill me. Fortunately they missed.

gjk5
09-30-2012, 19:24
shot in the back, right shoulder blade, with a .22.

I'm sure I have told the LONG story here before. Synopsis: when a teen boy do not let your pecker think for you, do not believe teen girls about their "little" brothers, how it's not a big deal and definitely not about their age. When a big redneck boy points a rifle at you and says "get out of the car", don't gun it and duck.

ETA: when you hear someone yell "you better not be stealin mah horses", you should quit humping and just leave quietly.

certifiedfunds
09-30-2012, 19:47
Never me personally but we had a kid in our class in grade school who got shot point blank range with a 12ga in the chest. Big indented scar about the size of your fish on his chest just below the clavicle and exit wound on the back of his shoulder. He was all patched up and fine when I knew him in the 4th grade.

Green_Manelishi
09-30-2012, 20:01

Shot down in flames, ain't it a shame, to be shot down in flames.

Green_Manelishi
09-30-2012, 20:06
I too have been hit by bullet fragments at ranges. Not hard enough to draw blood just enough to be noticeable.

I've also been hit by marker bullets during training; rather a smart sting to those units.

Never been hit with real ammunition and I am very happy about not having that experience.

glock_19guy1983
09-30-2012, 21:59
ETA: when you hear someone yell "you better not be stealin mah horses", you should quit humping and just leave quietly.

Stop humping the horses and you wont have that problem:rofl::rofl:

tsmo1066
09-30-2012, 22:05
It took till my sophmore year in high school to live down the nickname "quick draw".

...and then you threw meat to the sharks by letting everyone know about it here at GT.

Good job, Quick Draw!

:wavey:

Hauptmann6
09-30-2012, 22:57
I had my feelings hurt once.

But really, I had a quarter inch piece of jacket come back and lodge itself in my thigh. I felt something hot so I looked down and there was just a tiny piece of metal sticking out. Pulled it out and was rather shocked by how big it was. I finished the box of ammo I had after that happened. Was mainly wonderment that it would happen.

series1811
10-01-2012, 06:54

One of those guys, TM, was a good friend of mine. And, I knew the guy who got the sniper, and then got killed a year or so later.

glock_19guy1983
10-01-2012, 09:59
...and then you threw meat to the sharks by letting everyone know about it here at GT.

Good job, Quick Draw!

:wavey:

It never really bothered me all that much, I did earn it after all.:tongueout:

dsm007
11-15-2012, 18:51
Not shot. Shot at when I was 14 by a guy on an adjoining property who had bad PTSD and did not like deer hunters. That went over real well for him.

Had a Ross rifle come unglued at a public range. Rifle split in half at the juncture of the receiver and barrel and there were a lot of little pieces. They removed a few from my head. Got a concussion and passed out from shock. Was the day before Halloween last year. Scared the dickens out of kids when I handed out candy the next evening.

Was it one of them Rossi single shot rifles that had the catastrophic malfunction next to your head?...sorry to bring back an old thread but it caught my attention with your situation and it concerned me,I hope you made a full recovery there.

skeeter1959
11-15-2012, 20:02
Only shot at. Being a repo man was a biotch sometimes. I was more afraid of being stabbed.

ditto1958
11-15-2012, 20:15
Yup. Eight years old, summer of '66. Walking back into town with my friends through an alfalfa field. Grazed across the top of my head by a shot that came from far away. Bled like a stuck pig, scared the ***** out of me. Needed 2 stitches.

FM12
11-15-2012, 20:16
Not yet. But I do go back on duty for a three day weekend, night shift. Gonna wear my body armor.

klmmicro
11-15-2012, 20:47
Got rock salted while cutting across a farmers field when I was a teenager...dang, that HURT!

Got hit by a .22 in the chest. I was wearing a flack jacket and the bullet made it through, but lost enough energy that it just raised a big welt. Still have the dent/scar from it and that was a few decades ago. It was not a malicious shot, a kid out in a local quarry popping rounds off...that is why we wore our armor when we used to shoot out in that area.

Have been pelted more than a few times while out dove hunting. I have had to pick a pellet or two over the years.

glock_collector
11-16-2012, 17:21
A 44 mag off mild steel ringer, 9 years ago. Went in just above my beltline and halfway between my b-button and my side. I'm about 9in thick there and it went about 1/2 way thru. I walked it off, almost 2 weeks later got x-rays confirming it. I compare it to being hit by a golf ball, my whole side had a hot sting. I couldnt tell if the hit was from the front or back. I have some pretty good injuries, as I get older and wiser I strive to not have history repeat itself!

Kingarthurhk
11-16-2012, 17:38
.40 caliber hollow point ricohet from a shooter shooting metal ping targets. It bounced off and hit me in the right shoulder. Not enough kinetic energy to penetrate, but it was suprising and rather uncomfortable.

Now, I have been shot at quite a bit. Fortunately, they were crappy shots. I guess their H&K .308's weren't up to the task with open sites at that distance, or they were just crappy shots. I suspect the Mexican military are just crappy shots.

Magnus2131
11-16-2012, 17:59
I took some lead to the leg. I dropped a pencil and tried to catch it with my legs. Bad move.:whistling:

MoparMan1991
11-16-2012, 18:14
I took some graphite to the leg. I dropped a pencil and tried to catch it with my legs. Bad move.:whistling:

Fixed.

Tango 1Zero
11-16-2012, 18:29
Birdshot to the calf. Felt like being shot with a BB gun at point blank range. I was down in a valley and some ass on the ridge was firing off a 12 gauge. I was in his arc.
I never saw him.
Had dope growers or some nut firing over my head in the mountains in VA.
I could hear him shoot but couldnt see him. They made that weird ziiiiing sound going over my head.
Cant imagine how bad it would be catching an AK round.
Friend did some security work in Iraq and caught an AK bullet that skipped off the blacktop into the gut.
Something like 13 operations and a mesh implant in his abdomen.

MrKandiyohi
11-16-2012, 20:35
I went bird hunting with Dick Cheney ..... once.

Does that count?:dunno:

The only time I've ever been shot was with a Czech Škorpion vz. 61 9mm Makarov and I was wearing a late '80s style SBA and it didn't penetrate the vest.

I did end up with a few bruises from the 3 rounds to the chest.

I'm glad I was wearing a vest and that the BG didn't have anything bigger.

I was walking a draw near Draper, SD some beautiful Autumn afternoon. We had seen some pheasants fly up ahead and set back down. I had the right flank of the walk. There was a high point above the draw, so I posted up there and watched the others walk the draw. I could easily see all of my friends, and they could easily see me. I saw a pheasant fly up from the center and fly towards me and then to my left. As it flew, I saw a friend follow it with his shotgun. I knew he was going to sweep me and probably hit me. Yep, he pulled the trigger as he swung even with me. I kind of ducked but still felt pellets hit my chest and bounce off my cap and sunglasses. None of them penetrated, but I sat down on my rear out of surprise. I sort of swore at my friend who was a little embarrassed about shooting me.

That's my 'getting shot' story.