Solicitors - GO AWAY! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Solicitors - GO AWAY!

LSUAdman
09-28-2012, 09:43
Okay, I am fed up with solicitors. Do any of you guys have this problem?

Growing up in the country we were lucky if the mailman or UPS guy would make the trek to the house. When my wife and I lived in appartments, the gate was usually enough deterant.

We've been in our current house for about five years now, and we get between 5-10 solicitors knocking on our door a week. I work from home, so it's never out of the realm of possibility that a courier is dropping off something or that I am getting some samples delivered. Which means I encounter the majority of these a-holes.

This weekend I lost my nerve. My wife had just got back from errands and was taking our son to the park. She left the garage door open, so everyone could see we were home. The moment she walks in the door bell goes off, followed by knocking and the doorbell again.

"It's a sales man" she tells me, so we decide to ignore the door and pack for her trip to the park. He knocks and rings the door bell two more times. When we think he has left, we go outside and he is just standing there looking into the garage.

I ask him if he has a problem, and says "No sir, I just wanted to talk to you about..." I point at him and tell him we dont answer the door to solicitors and that he needs to leave. He starts his pitch again and I yell "Leave" in my most threatening, pissed off voice. This time he leaves.

But, the next day he shows up again. I'm working in the garage under my car. I hear someone come by and roll out expecting one of my neighbors. It's that guy again, with a friend dressed in their polos and carrying clipboards.

"Didnt I tell you to leave yesterday?" I ask him. "Yes sir, but we wanted to come back to the neighborhood to extend a special offer. Can we ask who handles your home security?"

"None of your damned business, now get out of my yard!"

"I'm sure if we could come in for a moment.."

"Leave!"

:steamed:

Now I know most of you are going to say they were casing the house, and yes that is likely. The house is secure, I'm here during days and I have total faith in our systems.

It's gotten so bad that we rarely even answer our door anymore. We're about to get camera's installed so we can screen them at the door from now on.

Anyway - how many of you get harrassed by these parasites? Is there anyway to stop them from showing up? Have you ever actually bought anything from these guys?

Some of our neighbors have posted No Soliciting signs on their door, but that just comes off as being more annoying than helpful to me.

JMS
09-28-2012, 09:52
http://salagraphics.com/image/cache/data/No%20Solicitors%20or%20Trespassers%20Violators%20Shot%20Sign-500x500.gif

BigDeeeeeeee
09-28-2012, 09:55
Okay, I am fed up with solicitors.

Some of our neighbors have posted No Soliciting signs on their door, but that just comes off as being more annoying than helpful to me.:dunno:

I recently put a no soliciting sign on the door and a no trespassing sign in the front window, so far I'm not annoyed by it at all.:supergrin:

Mark Smeaton
09-28-2012, 10:03
We get the Bible Bunnies e very once in a while. My mistake is that I try to be respectful, thank them for their concern and tell them I'm not interested. When that message doesn't get through, I tell them: "Religons are like farts; I don't mind my own too much,but I don't want to get too close to yours."

Then I shut the door.

LSUAdman
09-28-2012, 10:05
:dunno:

I recently put a no soliciting sign on the door and a no trespassing sign in the front window, so far I'm not annoyed by it at all.:supergrin:

Has it been working? Do they actually honor it?

We had a rather large one at one of the companies I worked for, and no one ever honored it.

We've talked about it - I just worry if they are effective enough. Plus I think they are ugly on a nice, white door. But that's my hangup.

LSUAdman
09-28-2012, 10:07
We get the Bible Bunnies e very once in a while. My mistake is that I try to be respectful, thank them for their concern and tell them I'm not interested. When that message doesn't get through, I tell them: "Religons are like farts; I don't mind my own too much,but I don't want to get too close to yours."

Then I shut the door.

You know what's weird, I havent had a single evangelist or mormon knock on our door. They will sometimes leave those little leaflets and tracts in the door though.

Believe it or not, but where I get harrased the most by religious groups is at the gas station. I can't count the number of times a week someone is trying to convert me at our corner station.

kensb2
09-28-2012, 10:16
Luckily where I live isn't someplace a solicitor would really walk to. They would have to actually pull into my yard. I've only lived there for about 4 or 5 months, but we've not had anyone unexpected show up at our door. I like it!

Snaps
09-28-2012, 10:39
Jahovas witnesses came once, haven't been back and I've never gotten other ones

m2hmghb
09-28-2012, 10:46
Put up a no solicitors/no trespassing sign then start calling the police. Check to see if your town has an ordnance against it or a permit requirement.

bmoore
09-28-2012, 10:52
We get maybe 5 a year, I try to be polite. That being said if I was in your shoes with someone being as bold as you described I would have lost my mind.

Rabbi
09-28-2012, 10:52
You can be mean to them...but that still happens AFTER they have knocked on the door. I know some Cops have started putting signs on their door that say something along the lines of "Night shift worker sleeps days please dont wake" and report good results.

I have a gate people cant get past. Although a few have tried.

BigDeeeeeeee
09-28-2012, 10:53
Has it been working? Do they actually honor it?

We had a rather large one at one of the companies I worked for, and no one ever honored it.

We've talked about it - I just worry if they are effective enough. Plus I think they are ugly on a nice, white door. But that's my hangup.It's only been a couple weeks and so for I've only had a 7yo try to sell me cookies. When I said "no thank you" she looked at the sign then gave me the stink eye.:rofl:

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 10:57
OP, you're in the advertising business and you're annoyed by solicitors? Sounds like cosmic justice to me. ;)

j/k (a little). Next time someone asks who handles your home security, say "It's a team - Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson. Here, let me show you their card."

gwalchmai
09-28-2012, 10:59
The Girl Scout Mafia violates every rule of decent suburban behavior. They are just Not Fair.

skew12
09-28-2012, 11:03
Things would be bad if he showed again.

johnd
09-28-2012, 11:08
they dont read, they cant read. We seem to have spate of " we are installing new windows up the road and have some left over" or " we noticed your palm fonds are hanging"
The most ballsiest one was the skinny black kid who knocked on the door and was selling brass cleaner. He had shone the brass really well before knocking. When I told him we werent interested he said I owed him $20 for the polishing. I told him I was calling the cops to report a criminal trespass with property damage. He actually ran away across the lawn jumping over the pampas grass.

got into a "discussion" once with the JW God Squad and they left telling me I was going straight to hell. I retorted that " looking forward to that, all the fun stuff is going on there"

trashcat
09-28-2012, 11:12
Put up the no soliciting sign and another sign warning that in order to keep animals out of the yard the sprinkler system is on a time delay motion detector. Install a button inside that turns on the sprinklers with at least one that hits the porch. If you want to give them a chance put it on a delay with a recording that says "Sprinklers commencing in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1". Get a security cam with a monitor at your desk next to the sprinkler button so you don't even have to get up to send them packing.

skew12
09-28-2012, 11:12
Lol good times^^^^

hpracing007
09-28-2012, 11:20
I'd be polite yet assertive to them... you think they want to be out on the street, knocking on doors, and pitching all day? At least they are trying to earn a living... they could be sitting at home doing nothing on welfare and you'd probably complain even more about that.

JBnTX
09-28-2012, 11:24
I put a "NO SOLICITORS" sign on my front door, and they still knock.

:steamed:

Snaps
09-28-2012, 11:29
Clint Eastwood get off my lawn moment?

LSUAdman
09-28-2012, 11:32
OP, you're in the advertising business and you're annoyed by solicitors? Sounds like cosmic justice to me. ;)

j/k (a little). Next time someone asks who handles your home security, say "It's a team - Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson. Here, let me show you their card."

Hah! Knew someone was going to say that. :crying:

To be honest, I've always gone out of my way to endorse marketing methods that only target recipients who opt in or whom we have an existing business relationship with.

Targeting people who are not in your market, or who may react negatively are just a waste of time, money and resources.

Now if you want to talk about cosmic revenge, let's point the finger at telemarketers! Those people have no souls.

captainstormy
09-28-2012, 11:34
I know what the OP means. I work from home too and probably get 2-3 knocks on my door M-F during business hours. Now that it's election season it's probably more like 4-6. Yea sometimes I get more than 1 a day now.

Around here it's mostly the power companies people. AEP has been the only provider around for a long time here because they are actually fairly cheap. I guess times are desperate though because their are 2 other power companies here trying to get customers to sign with them, and of course AEP trying to keep them.

Other than during election time it's mostly bible thumpers. Which, I'm a religious guy myself (although I should make it to church more often). But nobody wants people to knock on their door and bug them about anything, especially religion and politics.

ETA:

My solution is basically to just ignore them. I get a decent amount of deliveries but I know the days that they should be getting here and I know the typical times that the UPS, USPS and Fedex make their deliveries in my area.

LSUAdman
09-28-2012, 11:35
I'd be polite yet assertive to them... you think they want to be out on the street, knocking on doors, and pitching all day? At least they are trying to earn a living... they could be sitting at home doing nothing on welfare and you'd probably complain even more about that.

Yeah, sure. And when you have a sleeping child who gets woken up by the guy selling magazines at 9:00 on a Tuesday night?

My door doesnt represent an open call to anyone on the street who decides to come a knocking. Street sales teams, militant brownie mafia or JW hit teams included.

Shoot me your address in a PM and when they come knocking, I'll be polite and give them your address since you appreciate this situation so well. :upeyes:

Roering
09-28-2012, 11:40
Open the door wearing nothing but boxers and insist that they give you a hug before you can speak with them.

hpracing007
09-28-2012, 11:49
Yeah, sure. And when you have a sleeping child who gets woken up by the guy selling magazines at 9:00 on a Tuesday night?

My door doesnt represent an open call to anyone on the street who decides to come a knocking. Street sales teams, militant brownie mafia or JW hit teams included.

Shoot me your address in a PM and when they come knocking, I'll be polite and give them your address since you appreciate this situation so well. :upeyes:

Don't hate the player, hate the game.

LSUAdman
09-28-2012, 12:27
Don't hate the player, hate the game.

Hard to argue with logic like that. :upeyes:

kirgi08
09-28-2012, 12:54
I find 300lbs of American Mastiffs is a great deterent.'08.

Angry Fist
09-28-2012, 13:04
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/MO_FUGGAZ/PurtyMouth.jpg

RenoF250
09-28-2012, 13:22
http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz13/MO_FUGGAZ/PurtyMouth.jpg

This and if they go past answer the door naked except for a butchers apron that is not long enough and a running chainsaw.

Angry Fist
09-28-2012, 13:24
I haven't had to throw away any Watchtowers in years.

djpuffnstuff
09-28-2012, 14:21
It's just their job. If I'm not interested and tell them that and they leave then we have no problem. My wife will not answer the door and then wonders why the person comes back an hour later.

I did have one lady selling carpet cleaning a couple of weeks ago that thought that just because I cracked the door meant I was inviting her inside for dinner. She started pitching and tried to step inside. That's when I stepped out from behind the door.......boom...... I was naked.....she left quietly.

captainstormy
09-28-2012, 14:55
It's just their job. If I'm not interested and tell them that and they leave then we have no problem. My wife will not answer the door and then wonders why the person comes back an hour later.

I did have one lady selling carpet cleaning a couple of weeks ago that thought that just because I cracked the door meant I was inviting her inside for dinner. She started pitching and tried to step inside. That's when I stepped out from behind the door.......boom...... I was naked.....she left quietly.

Its their job sure, but it dosent mean that people want to be bothered at their home. Especially because they often show up around 7pm or so in the middle of dinner.

I didn't really get annoyed at the ones who took no for an answer and left, but alot of them just wont leave.

Its also annoying when you have someone showing up almost daily inturupting your schedual.

LSUAdman
09-28-2012, 15:11
Its their job sure, but it dosent mean that people want to be bothered at their home. Especially because they often show up around 7pm or so in the middle of dinner.

I didn't really get annoyed at the ones who took no for an answer and left, but alot of them just wont leave.

Its also annoying when you have someone showing up almost daily inturupting your schedual.

This has been my experience as well. Got one shortly after starting this post. I had just gotten my son to sleep, started some work and heard the bell. Thought it was somethign for work that I had to sign off on for a project - nope. Guy from AT&T wanting to talk about my phone/internet/TV service.

I told him I wasnt interested and he asked if he could maybe come back at a different time. Sigh...

What I do appreciate is that some of these street teams are being taught to ring/knock and then stand 5-10 feet away from the door.

The ones that freak me out are the ones that stand at the door or decide to start looking around.

alank2
09-28-2012, 15:15
Hi,

My sign works pretty well for me, at least for the ones that can read...

"I absolutely will not buy anything at a door offer."
"Please do not waste your time or mine."

Thanks,

Alan

Dave.1
09-28-2012, 15:36
I work at home in a small community and I don't really mind when the local kids come around to sell stuff to support projects or sports teams.

What bothers me is the church groups that come around. Small town, we have quite a few bars and churches, I don't go to either.

When I lived in a rough part of Denver I never saw a single church group all dressed up knocking on doors in my neighborhood. Now that I'm in a nice quiet town they come around all the time.

Dave

certifiedfunds
09-28-2012, 15:56
I find 300lbs of American Mastiffs is a great deterent.'08.

You were never known to play fair

:)

certifiedfunds
09-28-2012, 15:59
LSU - I find they don't like having their photo taken so I do that. Then ask to see their badge/permit, and photograph that.

Then explain you'll be calling the police for trespassing of they come again.

They usually scram after the photo

LSUAdman
09-28-2012, 16:27
LSU - I find they don't like having their photo taken so I do that. Then ask to see their badge/permit, and photograph that.

Then explain you'll be calling the police for trespassing of they come again.

They usually scram after the photo

Okay, I really like that one, CF.

I was always under the impression that door to door solicitation in La was illegal - have you ever heard that? Probably not true, but it's what I used to tell people when they'd knock on my door in BR.

FireForged
09-28-2012, 16:28
I have a sign on the door that reads :

NO SOLISITATION of goods, services or donations

jtmac
09-28-2012, 16:59
Who to hate more, the solicitors or the numerous people who buy from them?

I've worked with some churches that occasionally did door to door invitations. Not like the JW conversion visits, just invitations. I wanted nothing to do with the campaigns, because I don't want people knocking on my own door at all, but they got great results and a lot of people who got some form of help or were just glad to visit were very appreciative.

Personally, I just want to live far enough out that it's not a problem.

kirgi08
09-28-2012, 17:09
You were never known to play fair

:)

They gotta eat also,plus it gives them folks a good cardio workout.'08. :cool:

dherloc
09-28-2012, 17:14
Answer the door naked and strapped...don't blade. Oh...and have a big dog with you. They won't be back.

jtull7
09-28-2012, 17:22
Do you know the difference between a Dodge truck and a Jehova's Witness?

You can shut the door on a Jehova's Witness.

jp3975
09-28-2012, 17:46
Hello there. How are you today?

Can I interest you in a Steyr M9A1?

http://glocktalk.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=36259&title=steyr-m9a1-with-4-magscan-meet-2c-in-texarkana-2c-shreveport-2c-longview-2c-dallas-or-little-rock2b-2440-for-dallas-2flittle-rock-&cat=5

:tongueout:

I usually look through the peep hole and dont answer if it looks like a sales/religious person.

Once, I was in front of a local hangout with some friends having a drink. It was probably around 11pm on a Saturday. Church van rolls up and a girl asks if we want to go to church tomorrow. I replied that we where Satanists. You should have seen the look on her face. Her mouth dropped open and she left. You could tell she wasnt prepared at all for that one. Funniest part was that im pretty sure she believed me.:rofl:

Angry Fist
09-29-2012, 08:15
Who to hate more, the solicitors or the numerous people who buy from them?

I've worked with some churches that occasionally did door to door invitations. Not like the JW conversion visits, just invitations. I wanted nothing to do with the campaigns, because I don't want people knocking on my own door at all, but they got great results and a lot of people who got some form of help or were just glad to visit were very appreciative.

Personally, I just want to live far enough out that it's not a problem.
I agree. We have the Mormons come around about twice a year or so. Nice enough kids, but they are the only ones we are sort of polite to.

kirgi08
09-29-2012, 08:54
The gangs all here.AF,# no workey.'08. :sad:

dherloc
09-29-2012, 19:45
Had two groups today...1st was JWs (probably). I let the dogs head go through the door first...and they acted pretty relieved when I said I didn't want to talk.

The second was someone with a survey clipboard...he too look VERY happy to not have to do a survey with Max looking through the door at him.

Overall, I only had to get up a couple of times for the small enjoyment of seeing someone decide there was somewhere else they would rather be.

Beretta92guy
09-29-2012, 19:49
i have a simple solution to this:

if there is a knock on my door and i don't know you, i don't open the door......

my house, i am under no obligation to open the door and talk to anyone

JLB768
09-29-2012, 20:16
I just switch the TV to our home cameras, if it's someone I don't know, I don't even bother to get out of my chair. And our Doberman, who violently shakes the door when she jumps on it, usually sends them off quickly.

Magnus2131
09-29-2012, 20:18
Do you know the difference between a Dodge truck and a Jehova's Witness?

You can shut the door on a Jehova's Witness.
Are you trying to hurt Okie's feelings?

skew12
09-29-2012, 20:24
I just switch the TV to our home cameras, if it's someone I don't know, I don't even bother to get out of my chair. And our Doberman, who violently shakes the door when she jumps on it, usually sends them off quickly.

What kind of system do you have?

Hamguy
09-29-2012, 20:40
I opened the door once to a JW while I was carrying a G30 IWB. The guy's eyes got as big as dinner plates when he saw it and he almost tripped trying to get off my porch, all while stuttering "S-s-s-s-s-orry to bother you!"

Angry Fist
09-29-2012, 23:50
Dobie 1.2

Don't **** with JLB.

Powermwt
09-30-2012, 01:46
That is funny... I have GSD 1.5 and Rottie 5000.

certifiedfunds
09-30-2012, 07:21
Homeowner: "Hi, does anyone know you're here?"

Solicitor: "No, I guess not. Why?"

Homeowner: "Then come on down to the basement"

kirgi08
09-30-2012, 07:47

You must have a huge doghouse ta have a tv and a chair in it.'08. :tongueout:

:whistling:

:wavey:

frizz
09-30-2012, 10:35

Then I shut the door.
I like to say, "Shoo. Shoo! SHOO!" while making "shoo" motions with my hand.

For the OP's repeat solicitors, telling them to never come back gives you grounds to file a trespassing complaint, I think.

Maybe you could grab him and make a Gomer Pyle/Barney Fiffe citizen's arrest.

Or just get the water hose and spray him down.

frizz
09-30-2012, 10:37

Can't speak for JBL, but my Dobe watches TV in the den with me. Actually, he just sleeps. He also sleeps on the bed, and even tries to hog it.

Damn dogs.

badge315
09-30-2012, 10:55
Usually all I get are tree service/stump grinder guys looking to make a few extra bucks when things are slow. I've actually gotten some work done pretty cheaply by taking them up on their offers.

The only other solicitors I get on any kind of regular basis are the local firefighters doing their annual fundraiser...and I always write them a check, so they keep coming back.

JLB768
09-30-2012, 14:13

Samsung.

JLB768
09-30-2012, 14:15
Dobie 1.2

Don't **** with JLB.

The three step security system...

Cameras...Doberman...Shotgun :supergrin:

JLB768
09-30-2012, 14:16

My extention cord reaches to the shed :supergrin:

JLB768
09-30-2012, 14:20
Can't speak for JBL, but my Dobe watches TV in the den with me. Actually, he just sleeps. He also sleeps on the bed, and even tries to hog it.

Damn dogs.

My wife won't let our Dobie on the bed, so the Dobie sleeps at the top of the staircase. Anyone that manages to get into the house, has to make it upstairs thru the dog, to get to our bedrooms. Aint gonna happen...

skew12
09-30-2012, 14:30
My wife won't let our Dobie on the bed, so the Dobie sleeps at the top of the staircase. Anyone that manages to get into the house, has to make it upstairs thru the dog, to get to our bedrooms. Aint gonna happen...

I'll check out those Samsung systems. Soon either a Doberman or a German shepherd will be joing the family. So I'd say unlike your system a lot

robin303
09-30-2012, 14:37

Then I shut the door.

:rofl::rofl:I got to remember that one. :cool:

frizz
09-30-2012, 20:46
So get a nice, soft bed for the floor. You don't want your wife to be uncomfortable do you? :supergrin:

kirgi08
10-01-2012, 06:57
My extention cord reaches to the shed :supergrin:

I thought youse was partial ta vettes.:whistling:

Nice ta see youse around Jami.'08. :cool::wavey:

airmotive
10-01-2012, 08:55
I'm partial to Rabbi's "Day Sleeper" sign for two reasons...

One...is the intended purpose, with the added benefit that you pretty much have a built-in carte blanche to go full-blown tired grump butt on anyone who ignores the sign.

Two...For security. It gives notice that the house is probably occupied during the day, even if there are no other signs of life inside.

Sig Junkie
10-01-2012, 14:26
"Sleeping children, please do not knock or ring door bell" sign.

Works so well UPS doesn't even knock. Sign has been up so long, it causes issues when we order pizza because we forget the sign is even there.

frizz
10-01-2012, 16:17
One...is the intended purpose, with the added benefit that you pretty much have a built-in carte blanche to go full-blown tired grump butt on anyone who ignores the sign.

Better: Get an M1 Garand and go full-blown Gran Torino on 'em!

JLB768
10-01-2012, 22:20
I'll check out those Samsung systems. Soon either a Doberman or a German shepherd will be joing the family. So I'd say unlike your system a lot

We've had both German Shepards, and Dobermans, there's just something about Dobermans that we absolutely love. My 2 1/2 year old grandson, and our female Dobie, are inseparable.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6009/5931880210_cacf6d8486_z.jpg

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4085/5021986577_1cca36a1c7_z.jpg

JLB768
10-01-2012, 22:23
I thought youse was partial ta vettes.:whistling:

Nice ta see youse around Jami.'08. :cool::wavey:

Thanks bud. I look in a few times a week, but been busy prepping for winter around the house...Getting the pool shut down, shed cleaned out, yards prepped, etc. Of course there's the honey-do list on top of my priorities...

JLB768
10-01-2012, 22:24
So get a nice, soft bed for the floor. You don't want your wife to be uncomfortable do you? :supergrin:

I've suggested twin beds, they say 1 in 4 couples have them :rofl:

Louisville Glocker
10-01-2012, 22:40
I actually don't have a problem with it where I live currently. But a "No Solicitors" sign works wonders.

Answer your door with a gun in your hand (preferably something serious, like a Saiga 12), stay inside your house and point to the sign that they just ignored and ask them "can't you read?" My guess is they'll be apologizing and NOT coming back anytime soon.

Ideally it is all on video. Security systems are cheap and effective. Secure your windows and doors (frames need to be substantial too). Security lights and alarm system. All party of a secure household. But it really depends on your neighborhood and your possessions in terms of how far you need to go. In my neighborhood, only one break-in in the last few years, and it was a neighborhood teen who got caught right away.

I probably should be friendlier with Jehovah's, but it depends on my mood. Only one visit from them in the last two years.

Louisville Glocker
10-01-2012, 22:42
If my girl didn't live here too, I'd probably have a Clint Eastwood pic on my front door, holding his 44, with the words, "Feel lucky punk?"

Dirty Harry Do You Feel Lucky Punk? ( HD ) - YouTube

NickC50310
10-01-2012, 22:43
I have been getting them bad lately. I used to have a dirty neighbor kid that came around often begging for stuff. I felt bad for the kid and considered giving him one of my spare cell phones since he told me his had a broken screen. Then he came back later that month begging for money and lied about why he needed it. Said he needed it for gas money to get to school the day after Thanksgiving! Luckily the little scumbag moved.

Got a steak guy last week and told him to come back since I have gotten good steaks from that company in the past but he never showed. Oh well.

I usually dont answer and an angry Rottweiler mix usually send em packin.

pizza_pablo
10-03-2012, 08:15
The wife made this sign. Its not ugly or blatant. She says it has worked, quite well., keeping away the previously recurring window & magazine sales and Mormons and JWs, who would actually pull into the driveway, as if they were invited.http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg221/scaled.php?server=221&filename=frontdoorr.jpg&res=landing
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg19/scaled.php?server=19&filename=nosoliciting.jpg&res=landing

whitebread
10-03-2012, 13:20
Have you ever actually bought anything from these guys?

I was home alone the day after having six pins put in my broken jaw and one of these guys knocked on the door. I was hopped up on pain killers and still not right from the anesthesia. I ordered a whole bunch of crap from him - magazines, candles, candy, etc. My wife got home and flipped her lid when she saw the papers. I had absolutely no recollection of buying the stuff and only vague recollection of the dude being there. She cancelled the check and they never came back.

So, yes, some people buy stuff from these people. :wavey:

HollowHead
10-03-2012, 13:26
The one that burns me is parents doing the soliciting for their kids' school stuff. I guess they didn't want to cut into his PlayStation time... HH

m2hmghb
10-03-2012, 14:30
The one that burns me is parents doing the soliciting for their kids' school stuff. I guess they didn't want to cut into his PlayStation time... HH

Around here it's because a 12 year old was murdered doing it.

janice6
10-03-2012, 14:36
I'm sure signs mean nothing.......Except for my favorite I saw once.

TRESPASSERS WILL BE VIOLATED

VANWALL
10-03-2012, 14:45
Your town needs a "Green River Ordinance"

Link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_River_Ordinance

Otherwise I suggest motion activated lawn sprinkler

Glockaround the Clock
10-03-2012, 16:47
I had the selling alarm system guys here a month ago, they ignored the No solicitors sign. I got rid of them , and a week later two more showed up and swore there company had never been on the street. Funny they all said they worked for ADT.

certifiedfunds
10-03-2012, 16:58
In the spring we get the magazine sales. I don't know for sure but it appears to me these people round up homeless kids and hustle them from town to town. The kids always have out of the area accents, look like street kids and have these fast talking stories they're pitching.

Then there are the steak salesmen.

I always photo them and run them off aggressively. Then I call the sheriffs dept.

PrincessCelica
10-03-2012, 18:40
We haven't had any problems at my house. But at work, we have them coming in EVERYDAY sometimes. Natives peddling jewelry, or some lady who sells burritos. Problem is a lot of my co-workers buy from them. It's annoying. Makes me wish we could recruit them as clients, because then we wouldn't be allowed to buy from them.

NEOH212
10-04-2012, 03:10
They can't even get to my house. They have to get though two fences, one of which is covered with razor wire. I think all the cameras and warning signs at the gate ward off most people.

The gas and electric man doesn't even like to come on to the property to read the meters. They always look a bit unnerved.

I don't know why...:whistling:

Hawaiiglock
10-04-2012, 03:53
Lets see.... we had a group of rag tag kids who looked to be in their late teens that would roll around in a beat up dodge van trying to sell Kirby vacuums. For about a month I'd see them twice a week rolling around the neighborhood, they were caught a few towns over breaking into someones house. There were also some shady people selling some type of citrus cleaner, and another group selling home security systems. I only saw those groups only once. As far as the religious wacko's go we get the usual influx of JW's, but we have a local "Moonie" church over here and for awhile they were hitting the neighborhood hard trying to convert people.

I have a tall fence with a gate around the entrance to the house along with visible signs saying "No Solicitors". Most of them walk right past the signs at the bottom of the driveway so I let the dogs into the fenced yard to meet them when they come up to the gate, gets them off of my property every time. I will usually support the neighborhood kids if they are selling stuff for school trips or sports.

The most obnoxious people ever where the Japanese JW's when I lived in Japan. They'd sneak up on you and wouldn't take no for an answer. You had to go full ahole mode to get them to leave. I stayed home sick from school one day and heard the door open about 830am. I thought that maybe my dad forgot his base ID but two JW's walk into my living room with their bi-lingual Watch Towers! No knocking or calling out, they just let themselves in. The best part is after they introduced themselves they asked me to make them some coffee so we could sit down and talk about God. I was so blown away I didn't even yell at them as I led them out.

certifiedfunds
10-04-2012, 06:58
I'm sure signs mean nothing.......Except for my favorite I saw once.

TRESPASSERS WILL BE VIOLATED

Bama fan?

certifiedfunds
10-04-2012, 07:01
They can't even get to my house. They have to get though two fences, one of which is covered with razor wire. I think all the cameras and warning signs at the gate ward off most people.

The gas and electric man doesn't even like to come on to the property to read the meters. They always look a bit unnerved.

I don't know why...:whistling:

Are you a prison inmate?

Dennis in MA
10-04-2012, 07:32
Are you a prison inmate?

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ashecht
10-04-2012, 13:58
I leave the front door open, and the glass door locked when I work from home. Both dogs always park themselves right in front of the door whenever its open. I know when someone is 5 houses away, because the ferocious sounding barks begin in stereo. Usually keeps the solictors moving right past my house. That, and maybe the sign in the yard

GWSHARK
10-04-2012, 14:53
One company in particular drives me nuts. There is new construction in my neighborhood and this one company comes around asking about decks and patios every few weeks. We sat and talked with them once and went back and forth a few days after they gave us a quote (too high). I didn't officially tell them no, but I told them I was going to do some comparison shopping and get back to them. They put me on some auto dialer and started calling everyday multiple times a day. I would send the calls to vmail... but after a few weeks finally answered and told them to stop calling. They stopped calling but kept sending their door to door guys by every so often. The last two times they came by I told them... look... I know you are just doing your job... but tell your boss to skip my house from now on. The first time I told them nicely... the second time not so much.:steamed:

ignantmike
10-04-2012, 16:56
my friend's father had a sign "i shoot every 3rd jahovah that comes here.....the 2nd just left".....