Metering TAC [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Metering TAC

F106 Fan
09-29-2012, 11:44
So, I set my Dillon powder measure for 24.5 gr TAC in a .223 with a 55 gr FMJ. Right in the middle of the range.

I hadn't logged the load so I thought rather than just check the measure (still 24.5 gr, BTW), I would pull a bullet and weigh a charge.

I got 28.4 gr! I pulled some more and they are averaging 27.7 gr. Way overloaded!

I have some more investigating to do. The good news is that I didn't load a 3000 round batch. Still, I've got some bullets to pull!

I wonder if running the press at full speed results in the powder settling in the powder bar? If that's the case, how do I determine EXACTLY how much settling will occur at a given cycle rate?

Richard

unclebob
09-29-2012, 12:06
Pour the powder into the powder measure. Tap the side of the measure a couple of times. Size and seat the primer add powder for about 5 cases. Then size and prime and add powder to 10 cases. Weight all 10 charges at once. When setting up the powder measure you must size and prime the case. You can use one case to get you in the ball park. But after that you need to size and prime the case. If any throw is different than the one before. Like jarring the press, dump that charge and start over.

F106 Fan
09-29-2012, 12:12
Pour the powder into the powder measure. Tap the side of the measure a couple of times. Size and seat the primer add powder for about 5 cases. Then size and prime and add powder to 10 cases. Weight all 10 charges at once. When setting up the powder measure you must size and prime the case. You can use one case to get you in the ball park. But after that you need to size and prime the case. If any throw is different than the one before. Like jarring the press, dump that charge and start over.

It's my bad! There's no problem with the loads.

I have 4 blue Dillon boxes full of .223. Well, really, 3 boxes are my .223 reloads and the other is 5.56 mm PMC which I dumped out of my SD magazines so I could use the mags at the range. The boxes were stacked on top of one another and the PMC was on top.

I was pulling the PMC! I was wondering why there was tar on the base of the bullet.

I pulled a few of my reloads and all is well.

I knew I had checked, double-checked and checked again. Besides, I had been shooting the stuff. They seemed pretty good and the primers seemed normal. They just couldn't have been overcharged.

My bad...

Richard

Boxerglocker
09-29-2012, 12:57
:rofl:

I was gonna say, TAC meters like water...

F106 Fan
09-29-2012, 13:01
:rofl:

I was gonna say, TAC meters like water...

Exactly! I knew that nobody on the planet had a problem with TAC and I knew that I had checked during the reloading process. I couldn't come up with any explanation for the measurements I was getting.

Until... :faint:

I'll just mark it down as another 'senior moment'.

Richard

fredj338
09-29-2012, 14:08
I have no issues w/ TAC or any other shperical in my 550, but then it's not bouncing around w/ every pull of the handle. Powder will settle. Make sure to run 5-6 & toss em back. Then when ever you stop to reprime or whatever, throw back the next 3-4 as well. Every time you walk away from the press, the pwoder will settle some.