Top off your magazines? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Top off your magazines?

G26AZ
09-29-2012, 21:39
I use McCormick 8 rd magazines in my Colt Commander. Do most people carry 7 + 1, or do you top off the mag after chambering a round and carry 8 + 1?

I was wondering if having a full magazine pressing up from below might be condusive to some type of misfeed or jam.

So, top off or not - that is the question?

wrx04
09-29-2012, 21:57
I always carry 8+1.

ronin.45
09-29-2012, 22:34
I never top off. Full mag in, rack, and go.

fallenangelhim
09-29-2012, 22:49
I always top off. No problems with 1911, Glocks, Sigs, or M4.

Sent from my Android

LASTRESORT20
09-29-2012, 23:03
`Full mag in, rack, and go` 14 + 1

collim1
09-30-2012, 02:43
I always top off. The gun should work with a full mag loaded, if it doesn't it's got a problem.

R0CKETMAN
09-30-2012, 04:00
Shouldn't matter if it's topped or not if the pistol is built right. Ensure there's no ejector contact....see kneedgr thread for clarification.

silversport
09-30-2012, 05:39
I top off and for 1911 pattern pistols I find the 7 rounders less problematic (in a Government model) than I have 8 rounders...

somewhat recently, I acquired a pair of Tripp Research 8 rounders and they too have been 100% as have the original Taurus 8 rounders in the PT1911 AL...

Bill

faawrenchbndr
09-30-2012, 05:52
Nope,........

G19Paul
09-30-2012, 06:23
I never top off. Full mag in, rack, and go.

This is what I do also. More because I am lazy. But I do (always) carry an extra 8-round mag. Does that count? LOL

Clutch Cargo
09-30-2012, 06:25
I normally carry a single stack weapon so I do top off.

Quack
09-30-2012, 06:47
Yes...........

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

dakrat
09-30-2012, 07:53
if you can, why limit yourself? that one more round could be.......that round

PlasticGuy
09-30-2012, 08:22
I top off. Having less rounds in my pistol is a bad thing.

glock2740
09-30-2012, 08:52
I always top off. No problems with 1911, Glocks or anything else I am totin'.
Changed it up a tad, but that's what I do too. :cool:

sawgrass
09-30-2012, 08:56
I don't top off. When I took my carry class the instructor told a story about a dead LEO who had a jam at a critical
moment who was topped off. He recommended not topping off.

These threads sometimes lead to a lot of controversy, and I
don't know for sure if there is a right or wrong answer. Common sense tells you that there are too many different magazines, too many different guns, and too many variables for a one size fits all.

Practice however you decide to load and carry.

B.Reid
09-30-2012, 10:29
I always top off the mag, or better yet use a Barney mag to load the chamber.

Bill Keith
09-30-2012, 11:22
I got in the habit of topping off all my carry guns and house guns. I KNOW they are done this way so clearing the gun, I drop the mag, rack the slide and leave it locked back until it goes in the safe. I KNOW the gun is empty then. I also do the same if a friend asks to see a gun. Be consistent, be safe:wavey:

MD357
09-30-2012, 12:05
I always top off. The gun should work with a full mag loaded, if it doesn't it's got a problem.

This. Never had a problem with good mags through I dunno how many presentations in class and competition.

dakrat
09-30-2012, 12:31
that is why manufacturers advertise them as "8+1" capacity..

JasonC8301
10-01-2012, 06:20
I top off my carry pistol and never had an issue. Some people in my department actually get written up for not having the correct amount of ammo (3 mags of 15 + 1 for a total of 46 rounds of 9mm or 18 rounds of .38 special, 6 in gun and 2 speedloaders.)

fnfalman
10-01-2012, 08:44
I don't top off (due to laziness more than anything), but I've seen a common problem with topping off is that the shooter doesn't take the time to make sure that the mag is truly seated back in. Gotta slap the bottom of the mag to make sure that it clicks back in place.

There are some wives' tales running around about how if you top off, it'd screw up the next round because the new round is fully seated to the back and not moved forward a hair as would the typical next round if you don't top off.

If your gun can't chamber another round; topped off round or regular round, then your gun sucks and you need to fix it.

B.Reid
10-01-2012, 08:49
I don't top off (due to laziness more than anything), but I've seen a common problem with topping off is that the shooter doesn't take the time to make sure that the mag is truly seated back in. Gotta slap the bottom of the mag to make sure that it clicks back in place.

There are some wives' tales running around about how if you top off, it'd screw up the next round because the new round is fully seated to the back and not moved forward a hair as would the typical next round if you don't top off.

If your gun can't chamber another round; topped off round or regular round, then your gun sucks and you need to fix it.

Really? 40 years of shooting and I never had an issue with topping off. There are a lot of things to worry about, this is not one of them.

fnfalman
10-01-2012, 08:52
Really? 40 years of shooting and I never had an issue with topping off. There are a lot of things to worry about, this is not one of them.

Did I say that I was worried?

I simply stated what I've seen with various shooters when it comes to topping off, which is failure to click the mag back in place.

AZson
10-01-2012, 20:30
Only during competition do I not top off my 20rd mags, makes them easier to slam into place.

sna0403
10-01-2012, 21:25
The magazine says 8, there's room in the chamber for one more and IMHO, 9 holes are better than 8:supergrin:

brisk21
10-02-2012, 08:38
I would say yes. I probably wouldn't top off a 15 shot Glock 22, but a single stack gun I would.

Clutch Cargo
10-02-2012, 08:48

ding! ding! ding! We have a winner!

mjkeat
10-02-2012, 13:54
After reading the OP I instantly asked myself, "why not?" Why would you not go capacity + 1 specially when faced with low capacity in the first place? Honestly I find myself getting lazy from time to time and not pulling the mag to load that extra round but it's a bad habit to get into.

Gary1911A1
10-03-2012, 02:31
I don't as I'm concerned about compromising reliability. Maybe with the new Wilson ETM Magazines that have a longer magazine body, but otherwise I feel comfortable with 7 plus one in the chamber with at least one reload on the belt.

mjkeat
10-03-2012, 10:07
I don't as I'm concerned about compromising reliability. Maybe with the new Wilson ETM Magazines that have a longer magazine body, but otherwise I feel comfortable with 7 plus one in the chamber with at least one reload on the belt.

Explain what would cause a compromise in reliability.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

fnfalman
10-03-2012, 11:13
Explain what would cause a compromise in reliability.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Supposedly the lores or wives' tales from back the days is that when you chamber the first round, the second round also moves forward a hair and positions itself for better feeding after the first shot fired.

Of course this "logic" (you gotta love gunzine writers for some of the craps they pass on as logic or scientific fact, but hey they gotta make a living) didn't take into account that the first round on top of the mag isn't positioned forward anyway.

You, I and a host of others who have been formally trained with weapons know that you seat the rounds so that the bases of the cartridges are against the spine of the magazine so that the bullet noses don't contact the front of the magazine and cause feeding issues.

mjkeat
10-03-2012, 11:51
Even so if you really think the round being slightly forward gives you an advantage you can always manually push that top round forward before reinserting the mag. Either way there's no reason to be down a round.

I have yet to find a gun magazine worth much. The one I had faith in (Recoil) turned out to be a disapointment.

Short Cut
10-03-2012, 12:19
I top off carry guns. I've already chosen to have 9 without a reload rather than 18 or 20no need to go 1 fewer.

1911s that are loaded in the safe I don't top off because of the gut feeling that it is better for the mag spring when the gun may sit that way for extended periods.

fnfalman
10-03-2012, 12:27
Even so if you really think the round being slightly forward gives you an advantage you can always manually push that top round forward before reinserting the mag.

Yeah, they can do that if they feel so strongly about the second round being positioned forward.

Either way there's no reason to be down a round.

No scientific reason to not top off. I don't top off because I don't believe that one round would make or break me, but not because topping off is going to cause a "jam". Personal preference is one thing, wives' tales is another.

mjkeat
10-03-2012, 13:59
Yeah, they can do that if they feel so strongly about the second round being positioned forward.

No scientific reason to not top off. I don't top off because I don't believe that one round would make or break me, but not because topping off is going to cause a "jam". Personal preference is one thing, wives' tales is another.

Makes sense.

Short Cut
10-05-2012, 10:07
You, I and a host of others who have been formally trained with weapons know that you seat the rounds so that the bases of the cartridges are against the spine of the magazine so that the bullet noses don't contact the front of the magazine and cause feeding issues.

Yep that's why you bang the mag on your head like you are packing a box of Marlboros. Helps if you have a helmet.

silversport
10-06-2012, 05:10
or you could just bang it against your palm...:supergrin:

Bill

Short Cut
10-06-2012, 16:27

Bill

Hey that might help me to save on aspirin. :rofl:

fnfalman
10-06-2012, 22:39

Bill

Or bang it on a private's head. That's what they're there for.

MAC702
10-06-2012, 23:48
Supposedly the lores or wives' tales from back the days is that when you chamber the first round, the second round also moves forward a hair and positions itself for better feeding after the first shot fired....

What does that next round do while the slide is cycling back after firing that first round?

If your gun even hints that this is an issue, you have overall reliability problems that you need to address before you trust your life to it, regardless of how you load it.

fnfalman
10-06-2012, 23:57
What does that next round do while the slide is cycling back after firing that first round?

If your gun even hints that this is an issue, you have overall reliability problems that you need to address before you trust your life to it, regardless of how you load it.

That's why I said that it was "wives' tales".

whitebread
10-07-2012, 01:19

I always assumed that +1 was for the one I kept in my shirt pocket.