Ruger Mark lll [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Mark lll

copenhagen2001
09-29-2012, 21:55
Always wanted one, I now have 1!!!
I was at my local Gander Mtn, they were on sale, came w/2 mags, also drilled and tapped.
What ammo are you guys using out of your Mark lll, what grain bullets??? Thanks in advance.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/30/raqyhy7a.jpg

HTC EVO 4 using TapaTalk

CanMan
09-29-2012, 22:17
My MK IIs & IIIs will shoot just about anything.... from Rem bulk to CCI Green Tag. I think that's one of the simply wonderful things about the MK series pistols; they don't seem to be ammo sensitive. That being said, I really don't run a lot of Hi or Hyper velocity stuff through mine. I had a MK I that saw 1000s of Stingers run thru it. A few rabbits saw them too! Enjoy your MK III!

copenhagen2001
09-30-2012, 10:53
Is dis assembly difficult, for cleaning??? I'm used to my AR, bigger parts I guess.

HTC EVO 4 using TapaTalk

Bill Keith
09-30-2012, 11:09
I have the same model and really enjoy it. Congratulations. I shoot a lot of 40gr CCI Blazer ammo and it does well out of mine.

lwt210
09-30-2012, 15:10
Is dis assembly difficult, for cleaning??? I'm used to my AR, bigger parts I guess.

HTC EVO 4 using TapaTalk

I would say that it is one of the more difficult guns to break down and reassemble that I own.

Now, with that being said, if one follows the directions and pays attention to details, it gets real easy after doing it a couple of times.

I think I own the very same one you have. I love it. It will eat anything I feed it and I can routinely bust targets the size of a small salad plate at 70 and 80 yards using nothing but the iron sights. It is scary accurate.

It goes to the range every time I do. I can't say that about any of my other firearms.

Regards.

Jason D
09-30-2012, 15:40

HTC EVO 4 using TapaTalk

Difficult, it's not. A pain the the rectum it is. Most people don't seem to understand just how the parts fit when going back together and get frustrated by the gun. Just follow the instructions in the book, and make sure the hammer strut gets back into the mainspring housing cap. You'll be good to go.

Now getting the new guns apart can be hard.
You will need a rubber mallet and a dowel of some kind. You will have to use the dowel to get the mainspring housing assembly out of the gun.

You will also more than likely will have to use the mallet to knock the upper off.

Now I have had mine apart dozens of times. The mainspring housing no longer needs to be knocked out with a dowel and mallet. The upper on the other hand still needs to be pounded off.

Since my gun has been modified. Getting gunk in my trigger parts was a concern. I built myself a blast shield to protect my trigger parts and because of that no longer have to take the upper off to clean it. I still have to pull the bolt though

Now your gun being the polymer 22/45. Your upper may come off a lot easier. I need no tools to strip my old 22/45.

yipchoy
09-30-2012, 15:50
I just got my Mark III Competition Target Slabside with a
6 7/8" barrel and cannot say enough good things about it. I have fed it CCI Mini Mags 40 Gr RN and Rem Golden Bullet 40 Gr Rn so far with no significant hiccups. The trigger is very light compared to my Glocks, even the G24 with the Vanek Master Classic. I have put an Ultradot Matchdot II on it because my old eyes are not as keen as they used to be. The rig is amazing. Congrats on your new purchase. Break down and reassembly was tricky the first time but by the second time it was a snap. It's never going to be as easy as taking down a Glock.
All the best,
Alan

Bob Hafler
09-30-2012, 17:39
I have the same pistol except it's the 22/45 RP model. I broke mine in on CCI's. After it's intial breakin I've shot Blazers,Federals, and Winchester value packs. I'll get one of the Federals and Winchesters that fails to feed once in a while but it's a deformed bullet and not the gun. They can be a little tricky to break down for cleaning in the begining but there a tough as nails pistol that really doesn't take much cleaning. I've shot over 500 rounds through mine between cleanings. Most of the time I just run a bore brush down the barrel. Congrats on your new purchase and there are plenty of great Video's on the net to help you break it down and reassemble.

copenhagen2001
09-30-2012, 19:16
Thanks for all the info guys, I looked over the Manuel, and decided I'm gonna watch a few videos 1st, b/f I try a break down. This ruger won't be as easy to tear down as a glock, but cheaper to shoot. The trigger feels real crisp, was gonna go shoot it today, but after 2 days of rain, today was a great day to sit in the stand (bow season here) my range doubles as my hunting spot. Thanks Again Guys!!! Appreciate the info!!!

HTC EVO 4 using TapaTalk

bac1023
09-30-2012, 19:59
Congrats on a great pistol.

catalyst686
10-01-2012, 00:11
Love mine, it's a tac driver, it eats up anything. I get the most accuracy with cci mini mags.

nickE10mm
10-01-2012, 09:27
Congrats!

LOVE my 22/45 MkIII ... GREAT PISTOL! (and yes, you will probably need a rubber mallet the first few times you disassemble it until its broken in...) you'll see what I mean when you try the first few times

copenhagen2001
10-01-2012, 13:12
Watched some vids on YouTube...it sure isn't like my glock, or AR!!! Thanks again Guys for the info!!!

HTC EVO 4 using TapaTalk

Jack23
10-01-2012, 20:48
As was posted above the IIs and IIIs will shoot just about anything. I once bought some subsonic ammo and my Mark II is the only .22 out of 4 that would cycle with this ammo every time just like any other ammo.

The reassembly can be tricky but it isn't a big deal in the long run. Just beware the hammer strut. It is such an accurate gun and so much fun to shoot you will love it.

catalyst686
10-01-2012, 20:56

HTC EVO 4 using TapaTalk

yea its a true pain in the ass to be honest

ca survivor
10-29-2012, 12:25
Congrats!

scccdoc
10-29-2012, 12:54
I've had a Mark II bull barrel for 25 years, great gun. I still carry it to the range to warm up for my 40. Really helps me with trigger control. You'll never regret your purchase.......... DOC

janice6
10-29-2012, 13:02
I don't have one. But, if I were to get a second target pistol, I would not hesitate to pick this one up. I think it is the ideal .22 pistol. I have a S & W 22 S, W/red/green dot.

Congratulations on yours

harleypilot
10-30-2012, 07:36
You have made a wise choice. You will get used to taking it apart after having done it a few times. I have had 4 of them over the years and besides being very accurate, the only problem with any of them was a broken extractor once after shooting at least 20,000 rounds through it.

Jim

teweekley
10-30-2012, 10:16
In their default configuration, inserting and removing the magazine for reassembly is a pain. I removed the magazine disconnect safety in mine and replaced it with a MKII bushing. Pretty much made it a MKII with a filled LCI port. Also, the magazine inserts easier without the disconnect safety I think. You can't go wrong with a Ruger Mark.