Strange malfunction...what would cause this? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Strange malfunction...what would cause this?

P J
09-30-2012, 12:54
I was shooting a G27 and G31 today at the range, and I had the same malfunction in each that I don't recall seeing before. I suspect it was me since it happened in both with different magazines and ammo...

The first time was with the G31...the slide locked back with rounds still in the magazine. Thinking I had bumped the slide stop, I tried releasing the slide to continue and the slide did not want to go forward. Then I tried removing the magazine, and it did not want to come out either. Finally, I tapped the magazine, and when I did this, the slide chambered the next round and all was normal and the slide locked back finally when finally empty.

The second time it happened, it was exactly as described above, but with a G22 mag in the G27.

I'm pretty sure the mags were firmly seated, and I also don't think I was riding the mag release. Does anyone know what may have caused this?

SouthpawG26
09-30-2012, 13:39
Recheck the seating of the slide stop spring.

DannyR
09-30-2012, 13:52
Better yet, be sure your magazine is seated 100%.

P J
09-30-2012, 13:57
Thanks for the replies!

The slide stop springs seem fine.

I'm pretty sure the magazines were firmly seated from the beginning. Despite that, when I've had magazines that weren't fully seated in the past, I have never seen this behavior where both the slide and the mag were 'stuck' until I banged on the magazine floor plate. I've seen the mags fall out, I've seen failure to feed a round, etc., just never this before which is why I thought it was odd.

lyodbraun
09-30-2012, 14:22
With the 22 mag in the 27 id be willing to bet you were pulling on it with your pinky or support hand... causing the mag to be at a odd angle thus locking slide open....

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

P J
09-30-2012, 15:06
That could possibly have explained why it was jammed up with the extended mag in the 27, but the exact same thing happened in the 31 with a 31 mag?

English
09-30-2012, 15:26
Since you hve experienced the same problem with two different pistols on the same day, it is almost certainly something you have done. Since it hasn't happened before, it is almost cetainly nothing to do with your shooting style or grip. That leaves the probability that you have stripped both pistols and re-assembled them incorrectly in the same way.

The most obvious thing that you have done is fitted the slide stop/release lever with its spring in the wrong position relative to the pins holding the locking block. The possible problem with this analysis is that you found it hard to get the slide to go forward, but there is a possible explanation for that.

I suspect that when you say you tried to release the slide you used a racking method and that if you had used the slide stop as a release it would have released. This is because he spring is fitted incorrectly and is not pushing the slipde stop down. So occasionally it bounces upwards under recoil and catches the slide. If you had held the slide back and shaken the pistol it its normal firing orientation the lever would have dropped down under gravity. If you had pulled the slide back with the pistol tilted sideways it would not have dropped and the slide would have remained back. Banging the bottom of the magazine both produces vibration and lifts the slide upwards away from the slide stop and is so likely to release this malfunction.

The purpose of the slide stop spring is to hold the slide stop down. If you take the slide off and push the slide stop lever upawards with, say, the thumb nail of your other hand, when you release it by sliding your thumbnail off it, it should spring down sharply. If it doesn't do so you have a problem with your fitting.

English

Arc Angel
10-01-2012, 06:00
I was shooting a G27 and G31 today at the range, and I had the same malfunction in each that I don't recall seeing before. I suspect it was me since it happened in both with different magazines and ammo ...

The first time was with the G31 ... the slide locked back with rounds still in the magazine. Thinking I had bumped the slide stop, I tried releasing the slide to continue and the slide did not want to go forward. Then I tried removing the magazine, and it did not want to come out either. Finally, I tapped the magazine, and when I did this, the slide chambered the next round and all was normal and the slide locked back finally when finally empty.

The second time it happened, it was exactly as described above, but with a G22 mag in the G27.

I'm pretty sure the mags were firmly seated, and I also don't think I was riding the mag release. Does anyone know what may have caused this?

First, English’s explanation is as good as any; and I think I’ll just add to it:

There is another possibility: After the slide locked back, the top round may have come partially forward. In this position it could have stuck and resisted any further forward movement of the slide. This condition would, also, help to explain, ‘Why’ both of your slides suddenly snapped forward when you tapped the bottom of the grip.

Now, ‘Why’ did both of your slides lock back? Well, if English hasn’t, ‘put his finger on it’ then you were just having a bad day at the range; (If you don’t shoot pistol often this can happen.) and your thumb was getting in the way. Furthermore, I’m going to agree that the magazines were correctly seated. ‘Riding’ the slide stop - not mag. release - can be subtle; sometimes you’re aware of it; and other times you’re not.

Personally, I’m going to go with your intuition that it was you; but, nevertheless, check to make sure that both your slide stop springs are in the correct position (underneath the #1 pin) or not broken. ;)

abq87120
10-01-2012, 07:21
I assembled my Glock with the slide lock spring over the upper (smaller) pin a few years ago. It caused the same wierdness described by the OP. The most reliable way I have found to prevent this is to install the smaller (upper) pin first. Then the larger (lower) pin and the slide lock along with it. This probably can be screwed up but it works for me.

kodiakpb
10-01-2012, 07:27
Thanks for the replies!

The slide stop springs seem fine.

The spring needs to be under the locking block pin (top pin).

P J
10-02-2012, 17:10
Thanks for the additional input!

English, unfortunately (for fortunately?) the slide stops and springs are installed correctly and functioning properly, so this doesn't appear to be the explanation. Thank you for your thoughtful input and analysis.

Arc Angle, I suspect you are correct in that I was bumping or riding the slide stop, and then for some reason the top round in the magazine was partially pushed forward causing the magazine to not want to eject. I'm not sure why, however, the slide did not want to move forward. I'm sure I tried both the slide stop and sling shotting the slide in one case or the other, but I can't say 100% sure which or if it was both each time.

I used to shoot a lot, not so much in the last couple of years, so I'm sure it was something I was doing. In my experience:

-not fully seating (or inadvertently releasing) the mag causes a failure to feed and/or the mag falling out.
-riding or bumping the slide stop simply causes the slide to lock open on a partial mag. I don't recall the slide or magazine getting stuck in this situation.
-the few times I have detail stripped a Glock, I have not had the experience of the slide lock spring being installed incorrectly because I understand its correct relationship with the locking block pin.

Arc Angel
10-02-2012, 21:50
Why do so many people call me, 'Arc Angle'? I'm not an angle; I'm an angel. :supergrin:

P J
10-03-2012, 19:48
Why do so many people call me, 'Arc Angle'? I'm not an angle; I'm an angel. :supergrin:

My apologies Mr. Angel...it was just a typo!

English
10-04-2012, 05:09

I have a strong tendency to type littel when I know perfectly well that it is little! I do it gin and again.

English

English
10-04-2012, 05:10

I have a strong tendency to type littel when I know perfectly well that it is little! I do it again and again.

English