Help save my life - what kind of motorcycle gear do I need? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help save my life - what kind of motorcycle gear do I need?

Eurodriver
10-01-2012, 10:22
So, I used to ride in a wife beater, basketball shorts, and flip flops.

Then I started getting pelted with debris on my feet and in my face, read on here about how just about every one of you has dropped a bike at least once, so I switched to this.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zhjzhj.jpg

I have a SHOEI RF1100 and wear shoes (but not riding boots)

Today I bought some good gloves with hard knuckles for protection. Just having jeans, gloves, and a helmet on I felt so much more protected.

Now I want a jacket and some boots.

I live in FL and will soon be riding 90 mile round trips at interstate speeds and I have no windscreen. I need something that will offer protection from sliding across the pavement as well as being tolerable both in the heat and the cold (if its below 50* I won't ride, but that probably won't ever happen).

Is leather better than textile jackets with armor? I don't want to wear huge harley-type riding boots, but is there a hybrid black shoe looking thing that functions as a boot that won't slide off in a wreck?

ilgunguygt
10-01-2012, 10:31
In your case, for comforts sake, I wouldnt wear anything. Totally nude, YOLO.

fnfalman
10-01-2012, 10:33
You'd be better off asking this question in the Aprilia Forum, but I'll make some recommendation:

1. There needs to be a compromise between maximum protection and comfort. For commuting, leathers will be miserable in the hot, humid days of Florida. Next best up would be mesh gears and BMW Apparels leads the way with tough mesh gears (not all mesh gears are the same). It's like wearing a T-shirt practically.

2. Jeans or heavy pants are fine unless you want to get some nylon riding pants with mesh in it.

3. There are riding boots with vents/mesh combination. Go to SIDI website (and other boots websites) to look at them. You'd want to at least cover the ankles if not more.

When the temp cool down enough then switch to leathers for more abrasion resistance.

Whatever condition you can think of, there's a riding gear tailored for it.

Eurodriver
10-01-2012, 10:42
Thank fn, I just saw your reply over on AF.

I'll ask over there, but I know alot of folks ride on here. Those guys seem to be geared more toward hardcore racing and such.

Psychman
10-01-2012, 10:42
Buy a decent car. No amount of "gear" is going to protect you in a bad accident. You will lose everytime.

HollowHead
10-01-2012, 10:44
I really like Icon products and have a few of their items. HH

berto62
10-01-2012, 10:53
Buy good quality gear. Some BMW gear in action

http://youtu.be/o6j9u0qNPgY

cowboywannabe
10-01-2012, 10:54
really? thats like asking for the best gear for falling off a cliff and not including a parachutte.

riding a motorcycle is like swimming with sharks....its just a matter of time.....

Sharkey
10-01-2012, 10:57
Minimum? Helmet, gloves, some type of boot with ankle protection and jeans.

Jacket with protection in critical places and riding pants are preferred.

I've used Joe Rocket, First Gear, and Cortech stuff and have been happy. I wore my Hein Gericke Jacket to work this morning since it was around 61 degrees.

RC-RAMIE
10-01-2012, 10:57
You can get into a good mesh jacket with a liner for under $200.

Look into Icon, joe rocket fieldshear just to name a few. Cyclegear would be a good website to look around on.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

JMS
10-01-2012, 10:59
No matter how tempted don't do this...
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/newsletter/images/2002-11-01_Maron-Thailand.jpg

Sharkey
10-01-2012, 10:59
Buy a decent car. No amount of "gear" is going to protect you in a bad accident. You will lose everytime.

Now how is this helpful? He already has a cycle so you posting this is going to make him get rid of it and get a car?

cowboywannabe
10-01-2012, 11:00
Now how is this helpful? He already has a cycle so you posting this is going to make him get rid of it and get a car?

sure, but if he doesnt he should make sure his organ donor box is check on his driver's license.

Berto
10-01-2012, 11:02
There's no reason for getting all formal, shorts and gay flops should be fine.
Helmets are overrated too.

fnfalman
10-01-2012, 11:03

So, people don't get hurt badly or killed in car accidents?

fnfalman
10-01-2012, 11:05
sure, but if he doesnt he should make sure his organ donor box is check on his driver's license.

Why bother? Without all the protective features of a car, a motorcyclist's innards would be beaten to a pulp. When I go, I'm taking all my mushed organs with me.

ChuteTheMall
10-01-2012, 11:08
Protect your wallet in a clear plastic baggie; that way the EMT's can find your organ donor card in the mess.

:tongueout:

glock_19guy1983
10-01-2012, 11:23
No matter how tempted don't do this...
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/newsletter/images/2002-11-01_Maron-Thailand.jpg

what are you talking about? That's his girlfriend on the back.:rofl:

trashcat
10-01-2012, 11:27
The best gear is the gear that you're going to wear every time you ride. Number one is wearing the helmet every time, shoei is a good brand. In florida get a textile mesh jacket that's not black with hard armor in the joints not just pads. The mesh is not as protective as a solid leather suit and armour but you're more likely to wear it in the heat. Get a second non mesh water proof jacket for rain, the liners for mesh jackets always suck. Or get a regular water proof shell jacket that will fit over the mesh jacket. Wearing pants is better than shorts and riding pants are better still. I wear shorts almost every day and just put on over-pants that I can put on without taking my boots off. For my 10 minute commute to work I have a extra large pair of carhartts that I sewed a velcro strap to the bottom of the legs to keep them from flapping. For foot wear flip flops really? You don't have to wear a real motorcycle boot but if you can pull off you shoe while it's laced up it's not good for riding. I like a short hiking/trail running style boot that I wear all day instead of changing out of boots when I get to work.
As far as brands go I like Tour Master, reasonably priced fairly simple but sturdy gear that has worked well for me.

m2hmghb
10-01-2012, 11:42
I'd suggest no helmet and a decent bullet proof vest, that way your organs have some protection.

G19Tony
10-01-2012, 11:53
I like textile jackets with armor. I also wear one of these:

http://www.safermoto.com/products/details.asp?PDID=12&catID=11

I wear FOX racing kneepads under whatever pants I'm wearing at the time.

I want to give myself every chance to survive an accident. :wavey:

Happypuppy
10-01-2012, 12:08
Get a good jacket, look for decent spine support and CE rated armor. When it gets really hot I sometimes just put on a chest and back protector and then a leather jacket.
Kevlar jeans are nice but heavy denim works as well. The other option are over pants ..however they get hot in warm weather.

Real leather gloves and boots round it out. I suggest motorcycle specific if you ride a lot.

The helmet is personal they range for the Bennie style to a single full helmet. Try some on and get help with fitting. New ones can be tight they stretch a bit in the lining to fit snugly.

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

stolenphot0
10-01-2012, 12:17
and here I thought he was changing gears on the bike, then I was like "oh, he means fashion and accessories".

I don't ride, but yeah, listen to the guys that know and ride safe. I know two people that have wrecked bikes, snapped their backs and will never walk again. No amount of gear would have prevented that.

Timotheous46
10-01-2012, 12:22
Hit Air motorcycle jackets.
One helped save me from extensive damage when a deer took me off my bike at 60mph. They have a built, in air bag that inflates when you leave your bike ahead of schedule.
I go mine from bikebone.com
That said... I now ride a jeep instead of a Honda

220-9er
10-01-2012, 12:56
Look up Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar. They are really well made and protect better than leather. You can wear shorts or jeans underneath and they zip off when you get to your destination. Don't buy one of the cheaper mesh jackets or pants. They will melt and do unbelievable damage to your skin if you go sliding down the road. Think of melting polyester dripping onto your skin and you get the idea.
They have some good info about safety on their website but it isn't the best for navigation.
Arai for helmets, Held for gloves.

jp3975
10-01-2012, 13:15

Would you rather be in a car or on a motorcycle in any given accident?

Accidents that would be minor in a car could kill you on a bike.

If you feel like the fun is worth the risk, thats fine, but dont pretend that riding in a car is no different.

To the op:

You're in Florida so how about some chain mail...it will keep you cool and probably work better than leather. You can even cover it up with clothing so you dont look silly and feel cooler than going without a shirt.:tongueout:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxoskhvExvMWt9XesJzrc1snVJrTrcn4CqWm-3NzNypU4MmH10UolO3kdsww

Bilbo Bagins
10-01-2012, 13:28
You should wear a full bike suit and helmet.

Your girlfriend would be ok with her bucket hat and bell bottom jeans.

thanks Mhambi for making this pic :rofl:
http://i50.tinypic.com/1twxfq.jpg

Eurodriver
10-01-2012, 13:35
Let the record show that I made a completely legitimate thread and it has been shot all to hell by haters, trolls, and old people who think my LIFE is a lie.

jp3975
10-01-2012, 13:40
I was just kidding around. I dont have anything against you if its any consolation. :tongueout:

m2hmghb
10-01-2012, 13:44
Let the record show that I made a completely legitimate thread and it has been shot all to hell by haters, trolls, and old people who think my LIFE is a lie.

Just like you so frequently do to other threads. Ain't payback fun?

Eurodriver
10-01-2012, 13:46
Just like you so frequently do to other threads. Ain't payback fun?

When have I ever replied to a thread where someone was asking for serious advice with anything even remotely close to:

Pedophilia jokes
Old-people-sex jokes (Not sure what thats called?)
Thailand jokes
Questioning someone's military service? (Even though they've provided more than enough proof)

In fact - when have I ever responded to a legitimate thread with something that was completely asinine?

Never.

I only troll my own threads.

fnfalman
10-01-2012, 14:07
Would you rather be in a car or on a motorcycle in any given accident?

Why would I be considering a car in an accident at all? With a motorcycle, because of better visibility, better brakes, better power and better handling (real motorcycles and not geezer glides of various makes and countries of origins), I can avoid collision altogether.

Rinspeed
10-01-2012, 14:08
I only troll my own threads.

Well, maybe you should stop. :dunno:

eaglefrq
10-01-2012, 14:39
I have a Olympia GT Air Transition jacket. I agree with the lighter colors. Mine is silver.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/olympia-gt-air-jacket

I also have some Colorado Chaps, nylon chaps with knee and shin armor. They are custom made and I had the back made of mesh for better air flow.

www.coloradochaps.com (http://www.coloradochaps.com)

TCX Air Tech Gore-Tex boots

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-air-tech-gore-tex-boot

Don't remember the gloves, I just bought a new pair.

Shoei Neotec Modular Helmet

http://www.revzilla.com/modular-motorcycle-helmets

One thing that I can't stress enough is to not only wear good solid protective equipment, but also take some advanced riding classes such as Total Control. http://totalcontroltraining.net/

These courses are invaluable and will teach you how to better control your motorcycle at all speeds as well as show you your limits.

After you take the classes, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE what you learned there in parking lots. Riding a motorcycle requires skills that can degrade if they aren't practiced.

I recently saw a Police Motorcycle Competition and had the chance to talk with a motor officer. I asked them about their requirements. They have the mandatory motor officer school, FTO period, monthly training. They also have periodic assessments that they are required to pass. They are also expected to train on their own, in addition to the mandatory training.

Eurodriver
10-01-2012, 14:48
Why would I be considering a car in an accident at all? With a motorcycle, because of better visibility, better brakes, better power and better handling (real motorcycles and not geezer glides of various makes and countries of origins), I can avoid collision altogether.

I am concerned with being rear-ended, but I try to mitigate the risk by leaving plenty (like 2-3 car lengths) of room in front of me at red lights and really observing my mirror to see if the person is slowing.

As far as wrecks on the open road, I see a majority of them involve too much speed on the bike's part or not leaving themself an avenue of escape should someone merge into their lane.

Anything is possible, but a bike definitely has its advantages with weight, speed, and maneuverability. (and disadvantages with protection)

Eurodriver
10-01-2012, 14:49
I have a Olympia GT Air Transition jacket. I agree with the lighter colors. Mine is silver.

http://www.revzilla.com/product/olympia-gt-air-jacket

I also have some Colorado Chaps, nylon chaps with knee and shin armor. They are custom made and I had the back made of mesh for better air flow.

www.coloradochaps.com (http://www.coloradochaps.com)

TCX Air Tech Gore-Tex boots

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-air-tech-gore-tex-boot

Don't remember the gloves, I just bought a new pair.

Shoei Neotec Modular Helmet

http://www.revzilla.com/modular-motorcycle-helmets

One thing that I can't stress enough is to not only wear good solid protective equipment, but also take some advanced riding classes such as Total Control. http://totalcontroltraining.net/

These courses are invaluable and will teach you how to better control your motorcycle at all speeds as well as show you your limits.

After you take the classes, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE what you learned there in parking lots. Riding a motorcycle requires skills that can degrade if they aren't practiced.

I recently saw a Police Motorcycle Competition and had the chance to talk with a motor officer. I asked them about their requirements. They have the mandatory motor officer school, FTO period, monthly training. They also have periodic assessments that they are required to pass. They are also expected to train on their own, in addition to the mandatory training.

That jacket is exactly what I was looking for but its out of stock. I'll keep looking.

jp3975
10-01-2012, 14:58

Well...we had a bike thread here a few days ago and almost everyone who posted knew someone who wrecked and/or died and we even had one person who was paralyzed through no fault of their own.

People in cars do stupid crap all the time. You cant avoid it all.

GVFlyer
10-01-2012, 15:15

Productive post. Hmmmm.

If he wanted to drive a car, he would. Do you also try to dissuade people from skiing, bicycling, rock climbing, SCUBA diving, horseback riding, surfing, jet skiing, snowmobiling, inline skating, the martial arts, zip lining, sport flying, hang gliding, bungee jumping, high school/college sports or paint balling? You know that, statistically, cheerleading is equally as dangerous as motorcycling, right?

On topic - I'm transitioning from nylon to leather now as the seasons change. As others have said, leather offers the best protection, but would be untenable during the Florida Summer.

fnfalman
10-01-2012, 15:18
I am concerned with being rear-ended, but I try to mitigate the risk by leaving plenty (like 2-3 car lengths) of room in front of me at red lights and really observing my mirror to see if the person is slowing.

Keep an eye on the mirror. Tapping the brake to light up the brake light. Move over to one side of the lane or the other instead of staying smack dab in the middle. Keep the moto in gear and ready to throttle out.

fnfalman
10-01-2012, 15:20
Well...we had a bike thread here a few days ago and almost everyone who posted knew someone who wrecked and/or died and we even had one person who was paralyzed through no fault of their own.

People in cars do stupid crap all the time. You cant avoid it all.

You sure as hell can avoid a lot of it.

I ride year round in SoCal and that translates to anywhere between 20K to 30K miles a year. I ride in the canyon for fun, I ride to commute, I ride in the weekend, I ride in the rain, I even ride in the snow while I was in Idaho.

I've crashed twice and it had nothing to do with cagers. Sure, car drivers are inattentive but that doesn't excuse the rider from not paying attention either.

There's no such animal as "unpredictability". When you ride down the road, your eyes roam everywhere constantly evaluating threats and coming up with possible solutions.

jp3975
10-01-2012, 15:50
You sure as hell can avoid a lot of it.

I ride year round in SoCal and that translates to anywhere between 20K to 30K miles a year. I ride in the canyon for fun, I ride to commute, I ride in the weekend, I ride in the rain, I even ride in the snow while I was in Idaho.

I've crashed twice and it had nothing to do with cagers. Sure, car drivers are inattentive but that doesn't excuse the rider from not paying attention either.

There's no such animal as "unpredictability". When you ride down the road, your eyes roam everywhere constantly evaluating threats and coming up with possible solutions.

Either way, I dont think anyone will agree with you that a bike is safer than a car.

oldgraywolf
10-01-2012, 15:57

In my part of the world, it's deer. Vegetation (trees and or brush) is close to the road edges on county roads. The g.d. things come flying out into the roadway w.f.o. and no amount of side scanning helps when there's a wall of leaves you can't see past. A tenth or two of a second and you're eating venison, b.t.d.t. one time and had more close calls than I can count. It happens so fast you don't even have time to let off the throttle, much less brake. The ones you can actually see for a couple seconds don't even bother me anymore.

I rarely go over 45 mph when I don't have good side vision, but the purpose in that is the hope of only being injured instead of killed. Cagers are totally predictable compared to deer. I could type a couple pages of my own anecdotes regarding the latter (and a book on the former).

G19Tony
10-01-2012, 16:09
That jacket is exactly what I was looking for but its out of stock. I'll keep looking.

I just got some TCX X cube boots today. Comfortable and good ankle protection. :cool:

HexHead
10-01-2012, 16:25
For commuting, there's nothing better than an Aerostich suit. Two zippers, step in/ step out in 10 seconds. Cordura, pads and Goretex bonded. Rain is no issue at all, just close the vents.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/scat999999/P1000800.jpg

NeverMore1701
10-01-2012, 16:41
A speedo and some swimming goggles.

concretefuzzynuts
10-01-2012, 16:46
http://i1076.photobucket.com/albums/w459/concretefuzzynuts/furn/boys_sumo_costume.jpg

One of these would work.

.45 Combat
10-01-2012, 16:48
There's no reason for getting all formal, shorts and gay flops should be fine.
Helmets are overrated too.

Until you go down. The cost of gear, vrs skin graphs. Gear up!

NeverMore1701
10-01-2012, 16:54
Until you go down. The cost of gear, vrs skin graphs. Gear up!

That's what we're counting on.

davsco
10-01-2012, 17:10
For commuting, there's nothing better than an Aerostich suit. Two zippers, step in/ step out in 10 seconds. Cordura, pads and Goretex bonded. Rain is no issue at all, just close the vents.

i bought an aerostick one piece suite prob about 10 years ago. fortunately i haven't hit the ground yet, but the suit appears to offer a lot of protection and is pretty easy to get in and out of. it does have a few zippered vents but make no mistake, it gets pretty hot if you're sitting in traffic or going slow.

definitely get a REAL good set of leather gloves with as much protection as possible, cordura, plastic, kevlar, etc.

i had a pair of alpinestar riding boots but they fell apart pretty quickly (not a big fan of the brand as their gloves wore out quickly also). now i just wear either over the ankle hiking boots or hi-top sneaks.

i just assume everyone is out to get me, especially folks wanting to pull out, or oncoming traffic making left turns. your best safety practice is being a very defensive driver.

.45 Combat
10-01-2012, 17:13
I like textile jackets with armor. I also wear one of these:

http://www.safermoto.com/products/details.asp?PDID=12&catID=11

I wear FOX racing kneepads under whatever pants I'm wearing at the time.

I want to give myself every chance to survive an accident. :wavey:

You rock, sir! You give yourself the best chance!

Travelin' Jack
10-01-2012, 18:05
Glad to see you're gearing up, ED.

sappy13
10-01-2012, 18:37
I dont always wear all my gear, but its very rare to see me ride without at least a jacket, gloves, and always a helmet. I never ride with anything less than shoes or boots. I wish i could say i always wear pants, but I typically ride my bike to the gym, so I tend to skip those. Not the best choice, but its mine and ill live with it.

Since your in florida, I would suggest getting a good mesh jacket. I have a nice mesh jacket with matching mesh riding pants for long trips. Both also came with winter liners that keep you pretty warm until the temps get pretty cool. also good for riding in the rain. Something like a Joe Rocket Alter Ego or a similar jacket might be a good fit also, since they have removable textile for when its cold or raining.

For safety you wont beat a good leather jacket with armor and reinforcement in the critical points, but in florida weather you will burn up, even in a really nice perforated one. Check out sites like motorcyclesuperstore.com, motorcyclecloseouts.com, and motorcyclegear.com(previously newenough.com) for some good deals on gear. A lot of people dont factor in the cost of gear when they purchase a bike. Its real easy to end up with 600-1k in gear, and thats assuming a lower end helmet like a exo 4 or 700.

eaglefrq
10-01-2012, 18:48
A lot of people dont factor in the cost of gear when they purchase a bike. Its real easy to end up with 600-1k in gear, and thats assuming a lower end helmet like a exo 4 or 700.

QFT

I probably have at least $1200-$1300 in gear that I currently wear.

One other thing...If you drop your helmet from a height of more than 3 feet, replace it. Yes, it sucks and can get costly, but it can cause micro-fractures to the inner shell and it will not be as effective in the event of a crash. Not everyone agrees with me on that, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Goldendog Redux
10-01-2012, 18:57

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/scat999999/P1000800.jpg

My full compliment of gear included leather alpinestars pants (jean style), Vanson jacket, Held gloves, Shoei helmet, Engineer boots. I don't commute much on my bike because I hate putting all that stuff on for a short ride.

The damn jacket cost me a fortune alone. It worked very well in a low side, slide down the blacktop dealeo though.

I would love a one piece, hi viz yellow reflecto suit and zippy boots.-Wear regular clothes and step in and step out of the suit.

They are as ugly as hell but oh well. Classic car guys wear dumb looking clothes too.

MF

.45 Combat
10-01-2012, 23:53
Either way, I dont think anyone will agree with you that a bike is safer than a car.

It's as much how you choose to ride. I used to hear when I was younger, how by wearing seat belts, a person stands a better chance of being killed in a car accident.

I chosen a V-Strom 650, instead of say a bigger bike. Fnfalman, you'd be proud. I remember your a big believer in too big a bike is dangerous, if a person is new at riding.

Psychman
10-02-2012, 09:13

I hope so.:wavey:

Psychman
10-02-2012, 09:14

I have treated many car accident victims but not that many Motorcycle victims. The main reason is most do not live to see me.

Psychman
10-02-2012, 09:19
Productive post. Hmmmm.

If he wanted to drive a car, he would. Do you also try to dissuade people from skiing, bicycling, rock climbing, SCUBA diving, horseback riding, surfing, jet skiing, snowmobiling, inline skating, the martial arts, zip lining, sport flying, hang gliding, bungee jumping, high school/college sports or paint balling? You know that, statistically, cheerleading is equally as dangerous as motorcycling, right?

On topic - I'm transitioning from nylon to leather now as the seasons change. As others have said, leather offers the best protection, but would be untenable during the Florida Summer.

As soon as I see threads about those topics, I will let you know.

Rinspeed
10-02-2012, 09:56

Stay on the couch eating your potato chips, I'll continue living life to the fullest. :upeyes:

Gonzoso
10-02-2012, 10:33
It's pretty sad how many people are terrified of motorcycles.

They treat buying a bike like a death sentence.

It's a risky hobby, **** happens.

I'd rather have fun all my life and check out under a tractor trailer than live my life in fear and boredom.

If a person has the stones to ride, and wants to ride, they ought to ride. If you're a sissy just be quiet and get back in your cage, the whining gets annoying.

Hines57
10-02-2012, 10:55
I'm sure some of you people take baths and not showers, and pee sitting down.

OctoberRust
10-02-2012, 11:12
don't forget to suit up your liberal GF, ED. :supergrin:

Sharkey
10-02-2012, 12:29
I'm sure some of you people take baths and not showers, and pee sitting down.

Some people choose to live and others are

@psychman - I don't think anyone said riding cycles was safer than driving. I am pretty sure he wasn't asking if he should sell the bike and get a car either. Whatever, your comments are noted.

I've been safe for about 20 years now and I ride, own a Pit, and carry a gun every day. Oh the humanity.........
I should have been dead a long time ago.

dango
10-02-2012, 12:46
That depends on where you ride? South Florida in the winter,
you want a tank!

jp3975
10-02-2012, 13:12
It's pretty sad how many people are terrified of motorcycles.

They treat buying a bike like a death sentence.

It's a risky hobby, **** happens.

I'd rather have fun all my life and check out under a tractor trailer than live my life in fear and boredom.

If a person has the stones to ride, and wants to ride, they ought to ride. If you're a sissy just be quiet and get back in your cage, the whining gets annoying.

I think its sad that riding bikes=living/being happy/not bored to some people.

I dont and I find plenty of things to enjoy in life.:tongueout:

Life wont be too fun if you get paralyzed like another GT member. Hopefully your family wont mind taking care of you.

I thought about getting a bike a while back until a girl i knew ran a stop sign and killed a biker.

Then...on GT, there's not a single person that doesnt know someone who has died or been in accidents themselves.

One poster's father and uncle died. But he is a sissy for quitting riding. :wavey:

Ride if you like, but you cant blame others for being hesitant and posting about it when the subject comes up.

GVFlyer
10-02-2012, 14:39

Life wont be too fun if you get paralyzed like another GT member. Hopefully your family wont mind taking care of you.

I thought about getting a bike a while back until a girl i knew ran a stop sign and killed a biker.

Then...on GT, there's not a single person that doesnt know someone who has died or been in accidents themselves.

One poster's father and uncle died. But he is a sissy for quitting riding. :wavey:

Ride if you like, but you cant blame others for being hesitant and posting about it when the subject comes up.

The philosophy embodied in your posts is not consistent with your avatar. Perhaps you could think of something that more accurately represents your own personal weltanschauung.

eaglefrq
10-02-2012, 14:43

I think it's sad when a person asks for opinions regarding appropriate riding gear and people butt in with with gloom and doom stories.

If someone wants to start a thread asking about the dangers of motorcycling then by all means those that are hesitant should post up.

Yes, it's unfortunate that people are killed and injured riding motorcycles. I have never and will never criticize anyone who stopped riding because they no longer feel safe or comfortable riding. :wavey:

However, there are those that can't help but criticize those who choose to ride.

Psychman
10-02-2012, 15:11
"Help save my life - what kind of motorcycle gear do I need?"

I attempted to help with the first part. I will leave the second part to you cycle riders.

fnfalman
10-02-2012, 15:13

If staying at home and play Dungeon & Dragon (or whatever they call the same thing but on-line nowadays) gets your rocks off, then by all means.

I don't have a family and if life were to be that bad for me, I'll check myself out. Even if I were paralyzed because of motorcycling, then I'll still ride. Get a bike that doesn't have mechanical shifting and equip it with deployable training wheel, or get an Aprilia MP3 reverse trike, hire somebody to put me on and take me off the bike then go to town. Or I'll engage in other risky activities like SCUBA or hang gliding (belly landing isn't just for airplanes).

Do you know of a person that is injured or died in a car accident? Do you know of a person that is injured or died in a gun ND?

I don't just ride. I live. Others may exist until the day they die, but I choose to live and fight against the dying of the light.

RonS
10-02-2012, 15:32
I guess if Eurodriver were a country, he'd be Belgium.

GVFlyer
10-02-2012, 15:40

You are unable to formulate your views and act upon them unless you see them textualized?

GVFlyer
10-02-2012, 15:45
I don't just ride. I live. Others may exist until the day they die, but I choose to live and fight against the dying of the light.

My personal anthem from Dylan Thomas.

"Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

fnfalman
10-02-2012, 15:53

Here ya go on SCUBA.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19478434#post19478434

Gonzoso
10-02-2012, 16:39

Motorcycling is just part of an awesome lifestyle I enjoy. I also ride road bikes, mountain bikes, whitewater kayak, snowboard, fly fish, fish, hunt, shoot archery, etc.

All my hobbies have some risk. Everything worthwhile has some risks. If I collected stamps as a hobby I'd certainly not live as long.

A person can provide anecdotal "evidence" for anything all day. People die on the river regularly. So what, I still go on it.

People die on the crapper. It's life, people die.

Living in fear of death is wasteful of life.

Eurodriver
10-05-2012, 19:37
I just picked up a jacket today.

So I've got leather gloves with rubber knuckles, a full face helmet, jeans, and now this jacket.

My jacket is like the one in the pic - Joe Rocket. Leather, CE spine protector, elbow and shoulder armor. Windproof liner. $100 used.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/AutoEuphoria/Bike/IMG_3155.jpg

Still can't find any good riding boots/motorcycle "shoes" (stylish shoes w/ protection) in anything bigger than a size 14.

ChuteTheMall
10-05-2012, 20:18
Cool, now you're totally indestructable!:faint:

HollowHead
10-05-2012, 20:29
Still can't find any good riding boots/motorcycle "shoes" (stylish shoes w/ protection) in anything bigger than a size 14.

Wear a bunch of socks and make your size seven feet fit. HH

Diesel McBadass
10-05-2012, 22:49
Euro, take a belt sander to your tires and get rid of any grooves, flatten them out, flat=more contact with road. Try it out. You'll notice a stability difference.

Sharkey
10-06-2012, 08:07

"Motorcycle" boots is another word for expensive. Try motorcycle superstore, iron pony direct, or motorcylce closeouts web sites to find a deal.

Also check out the police style boots from Bates, Hi-Tec, etc and you might find your size and a good deal. They provide good support off the bike and adequate ankle protection when you ride.

JimIsland
10-06-2012, 08:38
Really guys?? The dude just wants some advise not all the BS....damn

jeepinbandit
10-06-2012, 10:32
In Florida I'd invest in some quality mesh gear both top and bottom and buy a two piece rain suit to go over it. With the proper amount of layering and use of the rain (I.E windproof) liners you should be fine with anything a Flordia winter can throw at you.

I live in North Central Texas and my mesh 2 piece getup gets me though temps from mid 40s to 100+. During the cooler times I just throw in the rain liner and layer under that. Anything under that I switch to solid textile and layer again. For longer out of town trips I'll throw in an electric jacket liner.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/580003_456237617726871_1844255299_n.jpg

Jonesee
10-06-2012, 11:03
In Florida I'd invest in some quality mesh gear both top and bottom and buy a two piece rain suit to go over it. With the proper amount of layering and use of the rain (I.E windproof) liners you should be fine with anything a Flordia winter can throw at you.

I live in North Central Texas and my mesh 2 piece getup gets me though temps from mid 40s to 100+. During the cooler times I just throw in the rain liner and layer under that. Anything under that I switch to solid textile and layer again. For longer out of town trips I'll throw in an electric jacket liner.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/580003_456237617726871_1844255299_n.jpg

You have never lived in NW Florida have you? There is a world of difference between S Florida winters and N Florida winters. If you are riding in the winter in N Florida you will need cold weather gear on some days.

Call your buddies over at NAS Pensacola, they will tell you.

Glock&KimberLady
10-06-2012, 11:39
It's funny...when I ride, I'm in a helmet, goggles, chest protector, elbows, gloves, jersey, kidney belt, knees, "leathers" (heavy nylon pants with leather knees), and moto boots.

And I ride dirt. Top speeds of maaaaybe 40mph.

Then I see guys on the street wearing a tank top, shorts, and sneakers. And I shake my head. Much higher speeds, asphalt and car drivers to contend with, to boot.

Yeah, I wear all that gear even on 90+ degree days. I was taught to dress for the crash, not the ride. And I've STILL knocked myself out a few times, hurt various body parts, and picked myself up off the ground thinking, "Damn, good thing I had on my knees / elbows / gloves / whatever..."

jeepinbandit
10-06-2012, 12:36
You have never lived in NW Florida have you? There is a world of difference between S Florida winters and N Florida winters. If you are riding in the winter in N Florida you will need cold weather gear on some days.

Call your buddies over at NAS Pensacola, they will tell you.

I was there though a summer winter and part of a spring two different times for schools aboard the NAS. For the amount of time of the year that it's cold (I remember the coldest temps I saw were around 20ish) you could probably get by by using the waterproof liner and layering if you weren't riding too far.

Or you could buy in stages. It's getting into the cold time of the year so buy winter gear now and stash money back for the summer time mesh stuff, and when it gets warmer pick up your mesh gear. The winter stuff will last a long time for the amount it will get used.

Eurodriver
10-06-2012, 12:45
Lots of talk - the jacket I got yesterday will be totally fine for even the coldest days down here.

I can't imagine it ever getting below 40* and most of my riding will be done in 60*+.

N Fla is alot different than S Fla. They talk funny up there ;)

G19Tony
10-06-2012, 14:54
Lots of talk - the jacket I got yesterday will be totally fine for even the coldest days down here.

I can't imagine it ever getting below 40* and most of my riding will be done in 60*+.

N Fla is alot different than S Fla. They talk funny up there ;)

I'm glad you're getting some gear. You won't end up as mashed squid so easily now. :cool: :wavey:

GVFlyer
10-06-2012, 15:00
I'm glad you're getting some gear. You won't end up as mashed squid so easily now. :cool: :wavey:

Was he in the Navy?

;)

jeepinbandit
10-06-2012, 18:10
S-tupidly
Q-uick
U-nderdressed
I-mminetly
D-ead

fnfalman
10-06-2012, 21:22
I have treated many car accident victims but not that many Motorcycle victims. The main reason is most do not live to see me.

What are the numbers of car deads versus the numbers of motorcycle deads per annum?

Gonzoso
10-06-2012, 22:35
If you want gear on the cheap check out craigslist. Ebay gear goes kinda high.

I just picked up a pair of SIDI boots, leather and plastic armor, reinforced shifter part of foot, in almost new condition for 50$.

Next week I'm picking up a Joe Rocket mesh jacket that sold for 200 new for 50$, in brand new condition.

I wear leather mostly, when it's cool enough.

But often in the summer I've worn too little and I want mesh to wear on the 80+ days.

G19Tony
10-07-2012, 00:32
If you want gear on the cheap check out craigslist. Ebay gear goes kinda high.

I just picked up a pair of SIDI boots, leather and plastic armor, reinforced shifter part of foot, in almost new condition for 50$.

Next week I'm picking up a Joe Rocket mesh jacket that sold for 200 new for 50$, in brand new condition.

I wear leather mostly, when it's cool enough.

But often in the summer I've worn too little and I want mesh to wear on the 80+ days.

Armored mesh is awesome. :supergrin: Jacket and pants for me.

engineer151515
10-07-2012, 07:25
tagged thread for further reading

inthefrey
10-07-2012, 08:08
The best safety device you can have is the one God put between your ears. Using this will almost always keep you out of trouble and from getting hurt.