$1.84 gas special...reminder of a world before Obama [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : $1.84 gas special...reminder of a world before Obama

jdavionic
10-01-2012, 19:03
Interesting way to get attention. I wish others would do the same.
http://www.mlive.com/business/mid-michigan/index.ssf/2012/10/hundreds_line_up_for_184_gas_a.html

mikeflys1
10-01-2012, 19:21
Yea its almost a good point if you completely disregard that gas prices were $3-4/gallon before they crashed at the end of 2008.

jdavionic
10-01-2012, 19:45
Yea its almost a good point if you completely disregard that gas prices were $3-4/gallon before they crashed at the end of 2008.

Yea, it also helps your position if you completely disregard the average gas prices before Obama and since Obama:whistling:

mikeflys1
10-01-2012, 19:59
Yea, it also helps your position if you completely disregard the average gas prices before Obama and since Obama:whistling:

I know around here, every cloudy day is Obama's fault but this really isn't the knockdown argument you think it is.

In 2001 I was paying $1.09/gal and in the summer of 2008 I was paying ~$4.30.....I guess republicans aren't helping gas prices either. :upeyes:

jdavionic
10-01-2012, 20:00
Don't you just hate when facts get in the way
http://66.70.86.64/ChartServer/ch.gaschart?Country=Canada&Crude=f&Period=96&Areas=USA Average,,&Unit=US $/G

RyanBDawg
10-01-2012, 20:04
The president has very little to do with gas prices.

I know that is hard for most of you to understand, but you must understand supply and demand, and how a cartel works.

And as stated earlier, gas prices were at their absolute highest when Bush was in office, again I don't blame him for that because he had almost no control over a free market system.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

RyanBDawg
10-01-2012, 20:05
http://66.70.86.64/ChartServer/ch.gaschart?Country=Canada&Crude=f&Period=96&Areas=USA Average,,&Unit=US $/G

A blank graph? Helpful...

Sent from my iPhone 4s

mikeflys1
10-01-2012, 20:05

In the way of what exactly? Im aware of the average prices.

mikeflys1
10-01-2012, 20:06

I know that is hard for most of you to understand, but you must understand supply and demand, and how a cartel works.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

You're obviously just a hippycomliberamuslim.

jdavionic
10-01-2012, 20:14
You're obviously just a hippycomliberamuslim.

Nah...he's an SEC fan. He's okay, just disagrees :supergrin:

jdavionic
10-01-2012, 20:16

I disagree. If the president would allow US companies to explore US oil resources, I think supply would increase and prices would decrease.

RyanBDawg
10-01-2012, 20:17
Nah...he's an SEC fan. He's okay, just disagrees :supergrin:

Ha. SEC!

But seriously though, there are many things to dislike about Obama.

But I'm not going to blame him for things out of his control.

Vote Gary Johnson if you would like some real change.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

RyanBDawg
10-01-2012, 20:26
I disagree. If the president would allow US companies to explore US oil resources, I think supply would increase and prices would decrease.

Domestic oil production has actually risen under Obama, mainly due to advances in technology that allow oil to be extracted in places where it was nearly impossible to do in years past.

Plus no new refineries have been built in the US since 1976. This causes gas prices to rise, especially if there is a fire or some problem at one of these refineries.

Also, sanctions on Iran, amongst other things cause oil prices to rise.

Droughts, weather, and many other factors affect gas prices.

Last but not least, the continued devaluation of the dollar has an effect.

Ron Paul has been preaching that for decades.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

jdavionic
10-01-2012, 20:28
Domestic oil production has actually risen under Obama, mainly due to advances in technology that allow oil to be extracted in places where it was nearly impossible to do in years past.

Plus no new refineries have been built in the US since 1976. This causes gas prices to rise, especially if there is a fire or some problem at one of these refineries.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Oil exploration on federal land has declined under Obama as well.

And most of the other exploration you mentioned was initiated before Obama.

FFR Spyder GT
10-01-2012, 22:03

This is one of the dumbest things I've read on GT in the last few days.

Gee, what was the USA's #1 export in 2011?

Drum roll, PLEASE!!!!

Distilled petroleum products.

A huge part of the oil that was "imported" into the USA in 2011 was refined and exported.

So, how would exploring US oil resources help lower the price of gas?

jdavionic
10-02-2012, 03:36
So you're saying the US is completely self sufficient on oil. Huh, I didn't know that. I guess we don't need Canada, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, etc.

I believe the US top export (measured in dollars) is refined petroleum, not oil. No drum roll needed for that one though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Clutch Cargo
10-02-2012, 05:14
When gas hit 50 cents, I griped. When gas went over $1.00, I thought it was the end of the world as we know it.

series1811
10-02-2012, 07:06
In the way of what exactly? Im aware of the average prices.

Aware of it, but just not wanting to talk about it?

pugman
10-02-2012, 07:30
Everyone just buy a Volt...problem solved*.:dunno:

*This sarcasm brought to you by the fact I've only had 3 cups of coffee

JFrame
10-02-2012, 07:43
We have to look at these things holistically.

Our booming energy-efficient solar panel industry will more than compensate for rising fuel costs elsewhere.

Wait...What?

mikeflys1
10-02-2012, 08:14
Aware of it, but just not wanting to talk about it?

I was talking about it. See:

I know around here, every cloudy day is Obama's fault but this really isn't the knockdown argument you think it is.

In 2001 I was paying $1.09/gal and in the summer of 2008 I was paying ~$4.30.....I guess republicans aren't helping gas prices either. :upeyes:

As most intelligent people know and has been pointed out here again, the president has little to do with gas prices. This is the same nonsense as under Bush with the constant gas price/"get the oil man out of the White House" stories.

Ruble Noon
10-02-2012, 08:16

Also, sanctions on Iran, amongst other things cause oil prices to rise.

Droughts, weather, and many other factors affect gas prices.

Last but not least, the continued devaluation of the dollar has an effect.

Ron Paul has been preaching that for decades.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

This. QE is responsible for 1$ of our current gas prices.

JFrame
10-02-2012, 08:17
This. QE is responsible for 1$ of our current gas prices.

I wonder how much pressure the president can exert on the Fed?

itstime
10-02-2012, 08:20

I believe that WON'T happen. I was sitting in the Doctor's office waiting on the better half and was reading the local paper.

On the same page was an article on how much natural gas surplus we have in the area and how the gas companies are looking to export due to the volume they have.

Below that article was how the gas companies are raising rates for the upcoming cold season.

It's all about how much money is to be made. That is all. We are sitting on the biggest surplus of natural gas right now and the rates are going UP.

Ruble Noon
10-02-2012, 08:23
I wonder how much pressure the president can exert on the Fed?

I don't know. Yesterday the Ben Brenank told Congress to take a flying poke at a rolling pastry for questioning his money printing.

JFrame
10-02-2012, 08:26
I don't know. Yesterday the Ben Brenank told Congress to take a flying poke at a rolling pastry for questioning his money printing.

And as we have learned lately, Congress and the Executive Office are not the same animal...

Bruce H
10-02-2012, 11:38
Political action or inaction and rioting crazies affect petroleum prices far more than supply and demand. Speculation is the main driver.

series1811
10-02-2012, 11:54
Political action or inaction and rioting crazies affect petroleum prices far more than supply and demand. Speculation is the main driver.

Exactly. Except for normal yearly cycles, suppy and demand for oil is very constant. Occassionally you can point to a natural event, such as Katrina, when it shut down all of the refineries in Mississippi and Louisisana, for a temporary change, but mostly, it is about political decisions, and people trying to make money off of those decisions.

brickboy240
10-02-2012, 12:15
While it is true that gas prices went high under Bush...they also went way down after a few months. Bush was still blamed for the high prices but Obama is getting a pass from big media for the high gas prices we see right now. Gas has not really gone down like it did under Bush.

However, most of the problems with the gas prices today have to do with dollar devaluation rather than outside forces or ramping up of US production.

Obama's MONETARY policy is keeping gas prices high and going higher....not his energy policy. His energy policies are terrible but the quantitative easing (read: print and spend) is the real culprit.

So in the end...Obama DOES share the blame...but not for the reasons you all are thinking.

-brickboy240

cowboy1964
10-02-2012, 17:53
Glad others have pointed out the hypocrisy of the gas price argument. I'll bash Obama all day long, but fair is fair. That said though, Obama has done everything possible to drive up the price. I'm amazed it isn't over $4 everywhere. The only reason it isn't is because Asia is slowing, Europe is in recession, and the U.S. is only getting 1.x% growth.

pugman
10-03-2012, 04:24
While it is true that gas prices went high under Bush...they also went way down after a few months.

Then back up.

If you look at gas under Bush...it went up...it went down and then when it went back up it set a new ceiling. Basically, one step backwards for every two steps forward.

Gas under Obama has just been a slow steady decline upwards. I'm trying to find something somewhere which tells you the average fuel price during an entire administration but can't seem to find anything. I may calc it myself for the heck of it.

O still needs to go though.

Edit:

Not exactly what I wanted to find but it makes the point - in the 5 minutes I decided to Google-Fu this I couldn't find a national average by month which spelled it out without a graph.

Average New York Gas prices from 2002-2012 as reported to NY's Department of Energy

Bush Term 1
2002-2004 (the data didn't have 2001): $1.70. This is the 36 month average price

Bush Term 2
2005-2008: $2.87

Obama
1/1/2009-8/31/2012: $3.19 - this is for his presidency to date

However by year
2009 $2.50
2010 $2.93
2011 $3.73
2012 $3.83

This isn't the crap you see toted around where gas "started under W at $1.87 and rose blah blah blah. You can't take the last two months of 2008 and use it for a fair comparison to set the floor for O. I.e two months of declines at the end of a presidency doesn't dictate fuel prices for his entire presidency.

More accurately the average price of fuel in New York in Bush's last seven years of office was $2.37....$2.87 in his last term...and $3.43 in 2008

He still has to go....but the average voter will be too stupid to realize this.

IvanVic
10-03-2012, 05:32

I wish it were that simple. Unfortunately, unless you passed a law requiring all oil companies to refine and sell that product to Americans only, and at a discounted price, it wouldn't do much of anything to decrease the cost of gasoline.

Fuel is a global market, the price is not dictated by its original location or confined within the economy of any given nation.

ricklee4570
10-03-2012, 06:33
I remember seeing the TV advertisement where Obama stood in front of a gas pump, showing the "high" price of gas (I think it was at $2.29 per gallon) and Obama said, if you elect me as your President, you will NEVER see gas prices like this again, as I will implement a comprehensive energy plan in my first 6 months in office. Then he went on to blame Bush for the high price of gas at a town hall meeting, because as he put it, Bush and Cheney were in bed with "Big Oil".

Now he says that the President has nothing to do with gas prices. Funny how Pelosi, Hillary and of course Obama blamed it on Bush when he was in office. I remember hearing Biden ask, "how do you like these gas prices"? when he was running with Obama. Well, Joe, right now they look pretty darn good!

JFrame
10-03-2012, 06:45
I remember seeing the TV advertisement where Obama stood in front of a gas pump, showing the "high" price of gas (I think it was at $2.29 per gallon) and Obama said, if you elect me as your President, you will NEVER see gas prices like this again, as I will implement a comprehensive energy plan in my first 6 months in office. Then he went on to blame Bush for the high price of gas at a town hall meeting, because as he put it, Bush and Cheney were in bed with "Big Oil".

Now he says that the President has nothing to do with gas prices. Funny how Pelosi, Hillary and of course Obama blamed it on Bush when he was in office. I remember hearing Biden ask, "how do you like these gas prices"? when he was running with Obama. Well, Joe, right now they look pretty darn good!

Sounds like somebody needs to resurrect that video ad...

Goaltender66
10-03-2012, 07:21
Barack Obama 2008 ad on Gas Prices - YouTube

Barack Obama 2008 Ad About High Gas Prices - YouTube

JFrame
10-03-2012, 07:29
Thanks, GT66! http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/good2.gif

JFrame
10-03-2012, 07:42
Barack Obama 2008 ad on Gas Prices - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka_tjPLJwVI)

"I don't take money from Washington lobbyists..." :rofl:

"Invest 150 billion in alternate energy sources..." Which provided income to a host of bankruptcy attorneys... :upeyes:

"Create 5 million new jobs..." :rofl: Well, he did provide a few new jobs, as noted directly above... http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/facepalm.gif

series1811
10-03-2012, 11:39
"I don't take money from Washington lobbyists..." :rofl:

"Invest 150 billion in alternate energy sources..." Which provided income to a host of bankruptcy attorneys... :upeyes:

"Create 5 million new jobs..." :rofl: Well, he did provide a few new jobs, as noted directly above... http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/standart/facepalm.gif

It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

FFR Spyder GT
10-03-2012, 13:24

Notice how the price of gas dropped like a rock right before the '08 election and started going back up right after the election?

Gee, sure looks like Big Oil was trying to influence the election.

series1811
10-03-2012, 13:26
Notice how the price of gas dropped like a rock right before the '08 election and started going back up right after the election?

Gee, sure looks like Big Oil was trying to influence the election.

Then why didn't they just crank it right back up after the election? They sure left a lot of money on the table with that gradual rise.

:dunno:

coastal4974
10-03-2012, 14:03
you ain't seen nutin yet. :patriot: