Any reports of issues with the new 9mm Flat Dark Earth Glocks? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Any reports of issues with the new 9mm Flat Dark Earth Glocks?

Bimmer1
10-01-2012, 19:58
Anyone experiencing issues with their Flat Dark Earth Glock in either Gen. 3 or Gen. 4 9mm?

D1N0
10-01-2012, 20:03
I haven't heard of any more issues other than the few 4th gen extraction problems, But that's got nothing to do with the frame color.

I'm going to be buying a gen 3 Glock 19 FDE tomorrow.

Fire_Medic
10-01-2012, 20:03
Erratic extraction/ejection on mine (Gen 4), started after a good amount of rounds through it.

Bimmer1
10-01-2012, 20:09
I'm wanting to purchase one but not if they are experiencing a high number of ejection issues also. I'm torn between the Gen 3 and 4 Glock 19 if I buy one at all.

kodiakpb
10-01-2012, 20:12
No issues with my Gen 4

Fire_Medic
10-01-2012, 20:15
The 9MM's are hit or miss, color of the frame has nothing to do with it. Most of the issues seem to be with the G17/G19 pistols and I don't think it's a model based issue, they're just the most popular of the 9's that people get out and beat the crap out of.

Mine has not had any stoppages, but I would not want to wager with anyone where my next empty piece of brass was going to land.

Bimmer1
10-01-2012, 20:21
I realize that internally they are all the same. I haven't purchased a 9mm Glock since 2009 and I have been afraid to purchase one at all lately. Just wondering if the issues had been ironed out enough for me to consider an FDE from the most recent batch.

SJ 40
10-01-2012, 20:24
My May 06 G 22 OD is well Perfect. SJ 40

Fire_Medic
10-01-2012, 20:28
I realize that internally they are all the same. I haven't purchased a 9mm Glock since 2009 and I have been afraid to purchase one at all lately. Just wondering if the issues had been ironed out enough for me to consider an FDE from the most recent batch.

I guess that answer will depend, like most anything else, on who you ask. Me personally, I'm waiting things out some before I buy another 9MM, I like the Glocks and M&P's both, but they have both had their share of issues in the 9MM caliber.

I have a 45 mid size M&P en route to keep me entertained, and my G19 that I have been working on the grip and some other stuff. The issues might not be cause for concern, but they would be if it was "your" gun having the issues. I still keep shooting my G19, and as I have said no stoppages, but the brass hitting me in the face, or landing constantly on my right fore arm starts to get old quick. Hopefully I can sneak into the next batch of Apex extractors and see if that cures the issue.

Good luck

denn1911
10-01-2012, 20:40
My Gen 4 FDE 19 has been flawless so far. Having said that, I only have a thousand through it so far. It's been splitting time with my Gen 4 FDE 17, which has about the same round count.mmso far so good with these two. I've held off until this last batch of FDE models were released. Although I was skeptical, I took the plunge. I shoot quite a bit so we'll see how these two hold up long term.

GPBob
10-02-2012, 12:21
My Gen 3 FDE 19 has had a double feed issue and a lot of BTFs. Took a chip out of my favorite prescription glasses. Probably not the color causing any issues, but the new Gen 3 19s have the Gen 4 locking block. That may add to the ejection problem. This locking block is a bit larger than the old one. And I not just talking about the sides. Just speculation on my part.

crazycooter91
10-23-2012, 11:57
Don't have enough rds through my new gen 3 to tell, but the color of the frame shouldn't have anything to do with the issues. (Mine is black, wasn't a fan of the FDE when I seen it)

ron59
10-23-2012, 12:27
Would you EXPECT more/less problems just cause they threw a different color "pill" into the plastic for the frame? (Or however they colorize them).

It's the SAME GUN, with slightly different color. I would expect the same exact ratio of problems as all black guns.

But what do I know, I just like to go and use logic all the time.

burttrans
10-25-2012, 08:07
I have FDE G19 Gen 4 manufactured in March 2012 this is my first glock and I just loved the FDE. 300 rounds thru gun and it has been 100% but does have weak and erratic ejection with weaker ammo 115 grain also been hit on bill of ball cap some. It seems not to do this with heavy ammo.

Morbidbattlecry
10-25-2012, 16:10
Gen 3 17 here i had BTF right out of the box every 2-3 rounds.

dhgeyer
10-25-2012, 16:43
Glock is putting a new style extractor in their 19 and 17 models. It doesn't have the "dip" in it. I bought one (extractor) and it really helped set my gun to rights. Others have, I believe, had the same or similar experience. This is with the Gen 4 guns. It doesn't seem to help the Gen 3 guns as much based on posts on this forum. Same with the Apex extractor.

If you wait a while you will probably get a gun with the new extractor. I checked the local gun store just yesterday and the guns on the shelves still have the "dipped" extractor.

You can roll the dice and buy a Gen 4 with the dipped extractor. Not all of them have problems, especially right away. Worst case you have to buy a non-dipped extractor from Glockparts.com for a twenty bucks or so. Or an Apex, if they ever really become generally available, for sixty bucks.

kaech
10-25-2012, 17:03
^^ sorry buddy but my 9-13-12 gen3 19 has the dip extractor... SO not all new glocks have revised mim extractors

RG7X
10-25-2012, 17:38
Glock is putting a new style extractor in their 19 and 17 models. It doesn't have the "dip" in it. I bought one (extractor) and it really helped set my gun to rights. Others have, I believe, had the same or similar experience. This is with the Gen 4 guns. It doesn't seem to help the Gen 3 guns as much based on posts on this forum. Same with the Apex extractor.

If you wait a while you will probably get a gun with the new extractor. I checked the local gun store just yesterday and the guns on the shelves still have the "dipped" extractor.

You can roll the dice and buy a Gen 4 with the dipped extractor. Not all of them have problems, especially right away. Worst case you have to buy a non-dipped extractor from Glockparts.com for a twenty bucks or so. Or an Apex, if they ever really become generally available, for sixty bucks.

Where did you hear/read this?

dhgeyer
10-25-2012, 18:22
^^ sorry buddy but my 9-13-12 gen3 19 has the dip extractor... SO not all new glocks have revised mim extractors

Reread my post. I said "wait a while". I also said that the ones I saw in the gun store yesterday still had the dipped extractor. My guess is Glock will use up the entire stock of dipped extractors. One guy on this forum even got a dipped one from Glock as a replacement after the non-dipped ones were available from Glockparts.com.

dhgeyer
10-25-2012, 18:32
Where did you hear/read this?

On this forum. There were two or three threads going a week or so back that covered all of this. There were also threads on M4Carbine.net about it. Haven't checked there lately.

As I said, I ordered a couple of the non-dipped extractors myself from Glockparts.com, and they are different in ways other than the dip being gone.

Also on M4carbine.net, under the industry section, Apex has a forum. There has been a lot of talk about the development of their extractor for the 9mm Glocks. Unfortunately they are only making impossibly small production runs (70 units at first, and runs of 100 every two weeks to follow) to fill the potential demand. And the Apex units are not solving the problems reliably on the Gen 3 guns, so they are talking about developing an extractor specifically for the Gen 3 guns. That has not happened yet.

zachm
10-25-2012, 18:40
none. love it. GEN4 G17.

ron59
10-26-2012, 08:10

You don't read very well.

He clearly states that even ones he saw in the store recently still were dipped, like yours. But that Glock is GOING in that direction.

Herp derp,, ermagerd!

Glock2336
10-26-2012, 14:10
Hopefully my new FDE Gen 4 G17 (Test fired 09/20/12, MIM dipped extractor) does NOT have ejection problems like my Gen 4 G19 (Test Fired 03/2X/12, MIM dipped extractor) did.

dusty_dragon
10-26-2012, 15:32
has anyone a pic of the brand new 9mm non-dipped extractor glock uses in the newest modells?

best would be in comparison to the dipped extractor of the recent modells

how can i differ the latest MiM extractors from the brand new non-MiM-extractors?

wats6831
10-26-2012, 19:51
Anyone experiencing issues with their Flat Dark Earth Glock in either Gen. 3 or Gen. 4 9mm?

I'm having issues with Gen 3 FDE G19. I don't think it matters what the frame color is.

dhgeyer
10-27-2012, 06:46
has anyone a pic of the brand new 9mm non-dipped extractor glock uses in the newest modells?

best would be in comparison to the dipped extractor of the recent modells

how can i differ the latest MiM extractors from the brand new non-MiM-extractors?

I don't have a picture, but it's easy to tell. The dipped extractor has a, well, a dip, or slight downward curve along the top, easily visible with the extractor in the gun. The top of the non-dipped extractor is flat along the top.

Incidentally, the new and the old are MIM parts. That has not changed.

Raleigh Glocker
10-27-2012, 06:58
The tale of my BTF experience with my Dark Earth Gen 4 G17 can be found here:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1446570

Note that I had no problems until about 900 rounds, then BTF every mag regardless of ammo almost instantly. Heading to the range right now to see if Glock fixed it.

dusty_dragon
10-27-2012, 07:07
thanks dhgeyer
wasn't there an non-dipped extractor prior to the dipped extractor?
i assume all the mentioned extractor have the LCI device, right?

was the only non-dipped extractor, prior to the latest LCI model, a non-LCI non-dipped extractor?

skyboss_4evr
10-27-2012, 08:36
This thread is giving me a headache. Some of you guys need to pay closer attention to what you're reading, shoot more and obsess less.

dhgeyer
10-27-2012, 09:08
thanks dhgeyer
wasn't there an non-dipped extractor prior to the dipped extractor?
i assume all the mentioned extractor have the LCI device, right?

was the only non-dipped extractor, prior to the latest LCI model, a non-LCI non-dipped extractor?

Well, I may not be the best person to ask, but I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I think there was an investment cast non-LCI extractor in Gens 1, 2, and early Gen 3 guns. Then with the late Gen 3 and Gen 4 they went to a MIM dipped extractor, and now have come out with a MIM non-dipped extractor. The dip isn't the issue. It's just a way of telling one from the other. The newest batch of MIM non-dipped extractors, which are not showing up on the guns yet but can be had from Glockparts.com, seem to work better in the Gen 4 guns that were having BTF and/or jamming issues.

danNiB-X
10-27-2012, 09:27
I ran my FDE Gen 3 G17 through an action pistol shoot last week(first time shooting it lol) She ran flawlessly...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2