Ford F150...51K miles...ball joints...not happy :( [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ford F150...51K miles...ball joints...not happy :(

JoeCitizen
10-02-2012, 08:46
I've got a 2005 F150 with 51,000 miles on it. It's our road trip vehicle so all the miles are highway/interstate miles. It's never seen a hard day's work in its life. I took it to the dealer for recall service. They, of course, performed their multi-point inspection. They just called to inform me my lower ball joints are shot and need replacing. Also, my tires, which I bought last year, are already showing signs of cupping because of it. I told them not to replace them because when they are done with the recall servicing I'm driving it to the Toyota dealership so I can unload that piece of BLEEEEEEEEP and get a Tundra like I should have done back in 2005.

This is the third thing in 50,000 miles to cost a significant amount to fix. At 39,000 miles a sensor went bad, cost $400. At 46,000 a metal hydraulic connection in the power steering cracked. Dealer said whole rack and pinion had to be replaced as a whole kit wanted almost $800 to fix it, local guy did it for $375. Now ball joints gone... AT 50,000 STINKING MILES!!! They want $750. I've got a call in to my local guy for estimate.

Heaven above knows I try to buy American when I can. Right now I'm feeling like an idiot for doing so.

Eurodriver
10-02-2012, 08:47
Joe,

Have you ever heard a Ford thats more than a few years old? Truck, Car, doesn't matter?

They all creak and moan as they drive down the road. Ball joints have been a huge issue with Fords forever.

Why aren't you considering Chevy or GMC or Dodge?

method
10-02-2012, 08:54
Joe,

Have you ever heard a Ford thats more than a few years old? Truck, Car, doesn't matter?

They all creak and moan as they drive down the road. Ball joints have been a huge issue with Fords forever.

My car is a 13 year old Ford. Last thing to go wrong was the starter, two years ago.

SC Tiger
10-02-2012, 08:55
I've got a 2005 F150 with 51,000 miles on it. It's our road trip vehicle so all the miles are highway/interstate miles. It's never seen a hard day's work in its life. I took it to the dealer for recall service. They, of course, performed their multi-point inspection. They just called to inform me my lower ball joints are shot and need replacing. Also, my tires, which I bought last year, are already showing signs of cupping because of it. I told them not to replace them because when they are done with the recall servicing I'm driving it to the Toyota dealership so I can unload that piece of BLEEEEEEEEP and get a Tundra like I should have done back in 2005.

This is the third thing in 50,000 miles to cost a significant amount to fix. At 39,000 miles a sensor went bad, cost $400. At 46,000 a metal hydraulic connection in the power steering cracked. Dealer said whole rack and pinion had to be replaced as a whole kit wanted almost $800 to fix it, local guy did it for $375. Now ball joints gone... AT 50,000 STINKING MILES!!! They want $750. I've got a call in to my local guy for estimate.

Heaven above knows I try to buy American when I can. Right now I'm feeling like an idiot for doing so.

That sucks and I can understand you wanting to unload it. 50K miles should be nothing for a set of ball joints.

I will say that my Chevrolet was trouble-free except for a water pump and the alternator (still charges but whistles dixie) until the head cracked (at 186K miles). I'm not trying to turn this into a Chevy-Ford debate (Chevy has made their share of turds too) but domestic trucks tend to be good ones.

I would have an independent shop look at the truck. Perhaps it just needs an alignment. If it needs more the independent shop will likely be cheaper.

skew12
10-02-2012, 09:02
My 03 f250 makes no creaks or moans. Don't even consider Chevy if you want to get away from front end problems. Their IFS system will drive you nuts.

You can change ball joints on your own. I've done it a few times. Nothing bad at all.

skew12
10-02-2012, 09:02
Also, unless its free, stay away from the dealerships.

SMOKEin
10-02-2012, 09:29
Every truck on the market has issues. Ball joints are very easy to fix. Go to the local auto parts store and buy some Moog ball joints. Any chance you are in DFW?

FLIPPER 348
10-02-2012, 09:34
I've had to do a brake job and replace the door lock so far on my 03 Tacoma after 180,000 miles of hard use.

Trade for the Tundra

Dogbite
10-02-2012, 09:37
Try 70,000 and needs new transmission. Thats what happened to me. The mechanic said, yeah, Ford should have done a recall. This happens all the time. F 150 with 6 cyl driven like a grandma.

smokeross
10-02-2012, 09:38
I NEVER take a vehicle to the dealership unless it's warranty work or a recall. Bunch of lying ripoffs. You can tell they are lying, cause their lips are moving. I have a local mechanic that I can trust who has been working on my vehicles for 30 years. Hasn't ripped me off, ever.

Wake_jumper
10-02-2012, 09:52
Toyota recalled and replaced ball joints on hundreds of thousands of 2002-2007 Tundra's and Sequoia’s.

Despite what others have said, replacing ball joints is not an easy job and can be quite dangerous.

Gareth68
10-02-2012, 10:46
Toyota recalled and replaced ball joints on hundreds of thousands of 2002-2007 Tundra's and Sequoia’s.

Perhaps if Ford owned up to their crap parts and repaired at their expense like Toyota did, the OP would be o here now proclaiming his loyalty for the brand.

:dunno:

syntaxerrorsix
10-02-2012, 10:54
I have an 05 F150 as well and replaced the lower ball joints at 80k Not really a big deal. Trucks are typical more maintenance heavy than cars. Just a fact of life. All in all I have 221K on mine and I've done the lower ball joints, shocks and a few brake jobs. Not to shabby.

Gareth68
10-02-2012, 10:57
193k on my 4runner, just replaced rear springs and shocks...ball joints are original and still in good shape.

ron59
10-02-2012, 11:00
They make Toyotas here in the US now too.
I got 240,000 on my 1999 4Runner bought new. Never changed a ball joint, very little else (expensive) gone bad. Love my truck.

Gimme a Toyota or Honda over anything else. Hey, I'm all about the U.S., but when I'm dropping $30k on something, I get the most value for my money. Period.

Bushflyr
10-02-2012, 11:26
Despite what others have said, replacing ball joints is not an easy job and can be quite dangerous.

:rofl: Yeah, hate to have a negligent discharge with a rattle gun.

Ball joints are easy, just make sure you have the right tools before you start. Any auto parts store will loan you the press, and if you install the greasable ones you won't have to replace them for a long time.

HalfHazzard
10-02-2012, 11:28
Gimme a Toyota or Honda over anything else. Hey, I'm all about the U.S., but when I'm dropping $30k on something, I get the most value for my money. Period.

YUP. I think its completely an American value to shop for the best value. When Honda starts making trash, I'll reconsider buying American

Kawabuggy
10-02-2012, 11:32
That's one of the MANY things about Ford. Intentionally undersizing ball joints so the customer will come back to the STEALership where they can unload more of your cash.

When you try to buy those ball joints, just realize that you will have to buy the ENTIRE upper control arm as the ball joints are not serviceable. The lowers, I believe, can be purchased without having to buy the complete control arm. Yeah Ford!

Those of you with more than 50K miles on your Ford are simply driving around with bad ball joints. Your truck is not special and did not receive extra special heavy duty ball joints that the rest of Ford's customers did not receive. Plain & simple.

This is why, it has been said over & over & over again-buy a better made vehicle. Toyota or Nissan come to mind.

Remember how many MILLIONS of Ford Taurus were made? And how many do you see on the roads now? Think that was accident? It was planned from the first day of engineering to fall apart-as all Ford products are-so that you would come back in 5 years and buy another one of their products with an expiration date. Ford & Chevy & Dodge BLOW. Buy the best-buy Toyota or Nissan.

10-02-2012, 11:36
Joe,

My 30+ year old bone stock daily driver, complete with poverty caps.

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt354/MattP427/000_2051.jpg

The only thing I've gone through has been the transmission.

Wake_jumper
10-02-2012, 11:40
Perhaps if Ford owned up to their crap parts and repaired at their expense like Toyota did, the OP would be o here now proclaiming his loyalty for the brand.

:dunno:

Well, it would be nice to think that Toyota was altruistically taking care of their customers, but that was not the case.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration forced them to do the recall after several accidents were caused by front suspensions collapsing at speed.

Toyota, like every other car manufacturer, tried to weasel out of it until the NHTS stepped in.

ken grant
10-02-2012, 11:56
03 Explorer 4x4
27,000 Ball joints gone
39,000 Transfer case.
42,000 Transfer case making moaning noise.

Wife's Explorer, never been off road and 4X4 used one time for about 10 minutes.

Aux Bear
10-02-2012, 12:05
'94, F150. Starter at 100K, Ball joints at 120K. Otherwise nothing except oil, gas 7 grease.

Mr981
10-02-2012, 12:28
03 Explorer 4x4
27,000 Ball joints gone
39,000 Transfer case.
42,000 Transfer case making moaning noise.

Wife's Explorer, never been off road and 4X4 used one time for about 10 minutes.

Ball joints cooked at 40K; original ring and pinion shot at 12 K; second one replaced at 60K. Leaking transfer case fixed at 50K.
The ring and pinion gear was a bad part replaced by the same bad part; bad design or QC?--you decide.

Never--ever-- own a Ford product without a warranty.

DanaT
10-02-2012, 12:45
Never--ever-- own a Ford product without a warranty.

Funny...I have heard that same comment about Porsche...

SC Tiger
10-02-2012, 12:54

My uncle would add "and a spare car."

His Porsche was in the shop more than it was on the road. This was back in the 70s-80s though.

Gregg702
10-02-2012, 12:58
Out of curiousity, why would you buy a full sized pickup truck if it never sees a day of work in it's life and is only used for a road trip vehicle? There are much more comfortable, fun, fuel efficient vehicles to use for that purpose.

Bilbo Bagins
10-02-2012, 13:11
Ford burnt me one time too many.

Once you go Jap...you never go back

https://www.alg.com/uploads/residual-value-awards/webcongrats_rva2012_Toyota_Tundra_FullsizePickup.jpg

larry_minn
10-02-2012, 13:13
Joe,

Thanks for letting me know. All those FORDs I drove/owned over yrs didn't show me that. Used HARD. The pickups work. First thing is get rid of rear bumper hitch/receiver and put a real hitch on. Starters over 80k Lowers at 120k One had universal joint at 70k area.
Reason we don't consider TOYota is some folks want a pickup. Not a car with bed. :) I demonstrated a Toyota with company rep. I asked if it could do what my FORD does. "No its not rated for half that"
So have they gotten better? Can they haul a load? :0

Everyone can get a lemon. My dad bought a Dodge half ton 2 wd. POS from day one. Trans IIRC didn't hit 50k, The spark control computer they SHOULD have left a spare behind seat. (IIRC $300 but always under warrenty) Dad got rid of it after trans issue. (finally)
Toyota pickups are fine for city folks, lite duty. FORD dsl have issues. I don't know if they ever got a decent dsl.

BTW its hard on cars/trucks to sit for months and then expect them to hit open road. Its amazing how many folks with 4wd have it fail to work. "When did you use it last?" "two maybe three yrs?" Just like AC its good to use it monthly

kiole
10-02-2012, 13:21
You guys don't have anything on my family.. A

01 f150 100,000- coolant was shorting out spark plugs and trucks body had significant rust through
05 f350 103,000- egr cooler failed, head gasket blew, valves were junk, multiple injectors failed
07 f450 80,000- egr cooler failed nearly took out the motor, bed plate, rear main seal leaking, replaced 2 injectors
08 f450 75,000- multiple turbo issues, computer issues, door locks haven't work since 15,000 miles, high pressure fuel pump failed

syntaxerrorsix
10-02-2012, 13:22
That's one of the MANY things about Ford. Intentionally undersizing ball joints so the customer will come back to the STEALership where they can unload more of your cash.

When you try to buy those ball joints, just realize that you will have to buy the ENTIRE upper control arm as the ball joints are not serviceable. The lowers, I believe, can be purchased without having to buy the complete control arm. Yeah Ford!

Those of you with more than 50K miles on your Ford are simply driving around with bad ball joints. Your truck is not special and did not receive extra special heavy duty ball joints that the rest of Ford's customers did not receive. Plain & simple.

This is why, it has been said over & over & over again-buy a better made vehicle. Toyota or Nissan come to mind.

Remember how many MILLIONS of Ford Taurus were made? And how many do you see on the roads now? Think that was accident? It was planned from the first day of engineering to fall apart-as all Ford products are-so that you would come back in 5 years and buy another one of their products with an expiration date. Ford & Chevy & Dodge BLOW. Buy the best-buy Toyota or Nissan.

That simply is not true.

syntaxerrorsix
10-02-2012, 13:25
Out of curiousity, why would you buy a full sized pickup truck if it never sees a day of work in it's life and is only used for a road trip vehicle? There are much more comfortable, fun, fuel efficient vehicles to use for that purpose.

I wonder the same thing. If you aren't hauling or towing what's the point?

Mr981
10-02-2012, 13:51

There is some logic to that statement given the expense of replacing or rebuilding the major components of the drive-train, but have to say both the 986 and 987 we owned ran like clocks for a collective 90K and 13 years of ownership. Not one repair after many auto-X events and tracks days.
I think if you do the maintenance and don't abuse them, they will turn 100K without a major mechanical event.

I owned Fords for 20 years during the last two decades and would say that once they hit 50K things just started to go bad, especially on the SUVs. Those ring and pinion failures (same GD thing on a '98' explorer) really soured me on the brand.

Having said that, just replaced a tranny--under warranty--in an 07 RAV4; get this--defective ring and pinion causing whining at highway speeds (must be something going around).
Toyota had an unannounced TSB out on about this and didn't know what was going on till I found the RAV4 website.
Had it replaced under warranty--just 3k before it expired--and it saved me $5K for the replacement. The internet automotive forums are a great place to get info on vehicle problems of any make or model.

DanaT
10-02-2012, 13:54
There is some logic to that statement given the expense of replacing or rebuilding the major components of the drive-train, but have to say both the 986 and 987 we owned ran like clocks for a collective 90K and 13 years of ownership. Not one repair after many auto-X events and tracks days.
I think if you do the maintenance and don't abuse them, they will turn 100K without a major mechanical event.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

And the average vehicle that a GTer drives makes a minimum of 327k miles without any failures. And gets 78mpg doing so.

JoeCitizen
10-02-2012, 14:47

Short answer is I can't afford a motor home.

It's the perfect vehicle for me, the wife and three teen kids to hit the highway in. Put a shell on it and can throw all the luggage in the back. The back seat is so long the three kids can spread out and relax. And talk about a quiet and smooth ride. I love it on the open road. 5 people in an Accord for a week just flat sucks.

I know what some mean by it sitting too long. It never goes more than a couple weeks without taking it out and putting around 20 to 70 miles on it. Not sure what difference that would make to the ball joints except when it's sitting they aren't being worn out. They are sealed with no zirks so, theoretically, sitting won't dry them out. Nor can I see how sitting too much would cause the crack in a metal power steering fitting. The sensor that went bad? Maybe caused by sitting too much. The service guy at the dealership said it was from using alcohol gas. I asked him why Ford hasn't figured out how to make a vehicle run reliably on gasohol, it's been around since the 70's. He looked me straight in the eye and said "oh they have". :faint:

JoeCitizen
10-04-2012, 07:13
Update:

When the dealer told me I needed lower ball joints and that it would cost $750 to replace them I told them not to do the work. I called my local guy I've used for about 10 years and told them what the dealer said. They were in disbelief the dealer would be so blatant about taking money from me for something I didn't need and told me to bring it by. They called me later and said they did indeed need to be replaced as they had about a half inch of play in them. They said several times they had never seen ball joints go in such a short period of time. They said they are going to save the old parts for me and I should write Ford corporate. I replied "What for. Like they would care?" Anyway, It will be ready this afternoon and will cost me $405. Tha's a very far cry from the $750 the dealer was all to happy to charge. Pretty sure by this time next year I'll be at the Toyota dealer seeing what kind of deal they can make on a 2013 left over Tundra. I hate it, I was planning on keeping this truck 15 to 20 years. Then again, how often do things go the way you hoped.

Gareth68
10-04-2012, 08:14
Update:

When the dealer told me I needed lower ball joints and that it would cost $750 to replace them I told them not to do the work. I called my local guy I've used for about 10 years and told them what the dealer said. They were in disbelief the dealer would be so blatant about taking money from me for something I didn't need and told me to bring it by. They called me later and said they did indeed need to be replaced as they had about a half inch of play in them. They said several times they had never seen ball joints go in such a short period of time. They said they are going to save the old parts for me and I should write Ford corporate. I replied "What for. Like they would care?" Anyway, It will be ready this afternoon and will cost me $405. Tha's a very far cry from the $750 the dealer was all to happy to charge. Pretty sure by this time next year I'll be at the Toyota dealer seeing what kind of deal they can make on a 2013 left over Tundra. I hate it, I was planning on keeping this truck 15 to 20 years. Then again, how often do things go the way you hoped.

To be fair to the dealer, they were quoting with factory parts....which it's unlikely your indy shop used.

Though, with the factory parts being such crap, I wouldn't have paid the premium to have used them again either.

Throw some Moog BJ's in and call it good.

But yes, repairs will almost always be higher at a dealer.

Better training, tools, and factory parts cost money.

Not that the end result is always worth it.

SC Tiger
10-04-2012, 08:41

This isn't necessarily true. Many independent shops are former dealership guys and - at least at the shop I use - they go to training regularly for the new stuff. Many independents also are more likely to tell you that your car doesn't need something if it truly doesn't.

Will they know about the new tech in my Honda as soon as the dealership does? No, but they'll probably know about it by the time it is out of warranty.

That said the local Honda dealer I use has a pretty good service department and reasonable prices so I won't hesitate to have them do stuff.

RenoF250
10-04-2012, 09:56
My 2k F-250 has over 200k on the original ball joints. It has needed front wheel bearings, turbo seals, and tranny rebuild ($4k ouch!). Overall it has been a good vehicle. Still no creaks and groans. I have had 3,600 pounds in the bed without a problem, can your Toyota do that?

JMS
10-04-2012, 10:41

I used to be a Toyota service advisor, out of a shop of 40 techs there were 3 that I would trust to work on my car. There was plenty of comebacks as well.

I have my mechanic/manager that I have worked with for the last 10 years at a local NTB that I trust implicitly and pay at a minimum 1/2 of what the dealership charges for quality work. I can always get the OEM parts and bring it to them as well.

Naelbis
10-04-2012, 12:39
All our local dealships are over $100 an hour for labor...and they will find any way they can to weasel out of doing a repair under warranty. Trouble is that the other auto shops aren't much cheaper...

shyguy
10-04-2012, 14:26
Hi JoeCitizen

The first thing to do is take the car to another mechanic you trust and have him verify the ball joints are indeed bad. The so called inspections they do are often as not a method of drumming up work for the dealership.

dango
10-04-2012, 14:33
I NEVER take a vehicle to the dealership unless it's warranty work or a recall. Bunch of lying ripoffs. You can tell they are lying, cause their lips are moving. I have a local mechanic that I can trust who has been working on my vehicles for 30 years. Hasn't ripped me off, ever.

Smoker,how you been Bro.?And I agree .I fix everything except the Bill Gates Crap !I got a Chevy,no complaints just common sence maintainence goes a long way !

Louisville Glocker
10-04-2012, 14:33
I recently sold my 85 Ford F250 to a friend. I had it for about five years. All that I ever did to it was replace the starter. It had 36,000 miles on the odometer, which was probably 236,000 miles. Original engine (six cylinder) and tranny.

The thing is a TANK.

I was sad to see it go, but the old lady kept *****ing about too many cars in the driveway. I've got a 2001 volvo XC, and a '97 Ford Crown Vic rescue vehicle, complete with lights and sirens. Shame not to have a truck, but I just don't need it that often.