Wish me luck [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wish me luck

GPBob
10-02-2012, 14:33
I just ordered the White Sound Extractor Depressor Plunger Assembly and a Lonewolf Extractor. I'm hoping this corrects my Gen 3 FDE 19's malfunctions. I should have the whole enchilada buy Saturday.

I posted earlier that the new Gen 3s have the latest locking block of the Gen 4s which is larger than the previous locking block. Since the Gen 3s don't get the help from the new 30274 ejector, could this be part of the ejection problem?

voyager4520
10-03-2012, 03:12
If the LWD extractor is the 9mm version it may actually make the ejection worse, that's been the experience of most people with the erratic ejection problem. The LWD extractor that fixed the ejection for so many 9mm Glock owners was actually the .40 LWD extractor, they had the two mixed up when they first started selling them and the .40 version is the one that fixed the ejection for so many people.

I've thought about the Gen4 locking block being part of the problem because it has that round bump sticking up in the middle, but my Gen3 G27 that ejected erratically had the old investment cast style locking block that didn't have the round bump. What fixed the ejection in that gun was a 28926(.40) ejector put into the Gen3 trigger housing that was already in the frame, and a replacement extractor that happened to be a 15 degree non-LCI .40 extractor with non-LCI SLB.

GPBob
10-03-2012, 09:33
That is not good news. Hopefully the added tension placed on the wobbly extractor by the White Sound will make a positive difference.

If I do return the 9mm extractor, should I order the Non-LCI 40cal extractor, and would the White Sound plunger assembly work like the Non-LCI spring loaded bearing?

GPBob
10-03-2012, 10:22
Just got off the phone with Glock and they are sending my gun smith a new ejector and extractor. The tech at Glock told me that the new extractor is still MIM and the only difference is that it is non-dipped. All of it's other dimensions are the same as the old extractor.

I spent $47.00 on the Lonewolf and White Sound stuff that may not be used on this project. I think I'll stick it into my other 19 that has 95% good ejection.

And the saga continues.

sciolist
10-03-2012, 12:19
The LWD extractor I got sucked. I also tried increasing energy in the bearing assembly, which did not help - as one would expect. Kind of like trying to solve the problem of 4 broken fingers by building the bicep.

I ended up going to old-stock, OEM non-LCI hardware, which helped ~15%. The rest of it was in the ejector - that was the real bomb.

In terms of improving ejection in guns that run OK but not great, my hope is with the Apex extractor.

voyager4520
10-04-2012, 06:03
With my Gen3 G27, I tried a White Sound HRED(.40) EDP assembly which had the increased tension spring. It made ejections more forceful but didn't change how erratic the ejections were. What finally fixed the erratic ejection was the 28926(.40) ejector.

The only non-LCI extractors which are still made are for 90 degree ejection ports. They will work in current slides that have 15 degree ejection ports, they'll just stick out a little bit and look funny. I'm not sure if current production non-LCI extractors are still made by the old investment cast method or the new "MIM" method. If they're MIM I'd rather just go aftermarket if possible. Glock did make 15 degree non-LCI extractors for a short time, and I was lucky enough to find one in a local gun store, I used it as my replacement extractor.

White Sound Defense recommends using LCI extractors with their HRED EDP assemblies. It's possible that it would work with a non-LCI extractor but I haven't tried it.

I would first try the 30274 ejector and replacement factory extractor. If you still experience erratic ejection I'd keep the 30274 ejector in the gun and try swapping extractors. You could try a non-LCI 9mm extractor and SLB. You could also try the LWD .40 LCI extractor, and you would use the LCI 9mm SLB that came with your gun. Most people report that it drops right in and improves if not fixes erratic ejection, however some people have reported that the extractor seemed to be out-of-spec and wouldn't even go into the slide. One person said he had to file down the top part of the .40 extractor claw to allow a 9mm casing rim to slide under the claw, but once the claw was fitted correctly it fixed the ejection problem.

GPBob
10-05-2012, 21:07
This morning I went to the range to run some tests on my FDE 19. I first shot 10 rounds making no changes to the gun. It gave me no BTFs but did eject erratically. I then put in the White Sound plunger assembly. I shot 10 rounds and got 2 BTFs and erratic ejections. I then took that out and put in the Lonewolf extractor. I shot 10 rounds and got 8 excellent ejections and 2 went straight up with no BTFs. I then put the White Sound back in with the Lonewolf extractor. Shot 10 rounds and got 2 BTFs and 4 good ejections and 4 straight up in the air.

My conclusion was that the Lonewolf extractor by itself gave me the best results. I ran that configuration with 50 Federal Champion 115 gr FMJ rounds. We all know how bad those can be. I got 95% great ejections.

I am pretty dang happy.

GPBob
10-05-2012, 23:04
And by the way, the White Sound also sucked when I put it into my fully functioning 26.

GPBob
10-11-2012, 09:04
I took my wife to the range this last Sunday. She was using the FDE 19 and out of 50 rounds of Aguila ammo she only had one BTF. Her grip isn't the greatest, but she mostly got 3:00 to 4:00 ejections. This is with the LW 9mm extractor only.

I have a new ejector and extractor coming in from Glock in the near future. I also ordered a LW 40 extractor.

I'm fairly satisfied with my current results, though I wouldn't mind eliminating BTFs 100%.

SCmasterblaster
10-11-2012, 11:38
Good Luck!

dhgeyer
10-11-2012, 12:08
Did you even try the new non-dip extractor from Glock? It made all the difference in my somewhat troublesome Gen 4 G19. Looking at them side by side, they are not the same as the dip ones. I would suggest keeping the WSD extractor depressor plunger spring. You can use that with the Glock parts, and it will increase tension on the extractor a bit, as it is extra powered by 20%. Worth a try anyway.

GPBob
10-11-2012, 15:40
Did you even try the new non-dip extractor from Glock? It made all the difference in my somewhat troublesome Gen 4 G19. Looking at them side by side, they are not the same as the dip ones. I would suggest keeping the WSD extractor depressor plunger spring. You can use that with the Glock parts, and it will increase tension on the extractor a bit, as it is extra powered by 20%. Worth a try anyway.

The White Sound has all ready been shipped back and will be exchanged for the 40cal extractor. I put the WS assembly into my very reliably ejecting 26 and that set up threw brass in face. Albeit with a little more umph. Strange but true.

The 26's extractor is dipped and MIM, so maybe it was warning me of things to come.