Best Hard Cider? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best Hard Cider?

Restless28
10-02-2012, 17:08
Going to try some hard cider this week. Out of the commercial brands, which ones are good?

Also, the local orchard sells fresh cider. They claim to treat it with something to prevent making your own hard cider out of it. Is this possible?

USMCsilver
10-02-2012, 17:09
My wife is a huge fan of the Angry Orchard Crisp Hard Cider.

She's allergic to gluten, so that's about all she really consumes when she drinks alcohol, anymore.

SunGunner
10-02-2012, 17:20
Woodchuck Amber.

NeverMore1701
10-02-2012, 17:23
Woodchuck Amber.

/thread

ron59
10-02-2012, 17:34
Dickens.

Because there's nothing better than some Hard Dickens Cider.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

JasonC8301
10-03-2012, 11:04
Angry Orchard Crisp Apple or Woodchuck Amber. A distant 3rd is Magner's.

.264 magnum
10-03-2012, 11:54

She's allergic to gluten, so that's about all she really consumes when she drinks alcohol, anymore.

FYI, in case she does not know there are gluten free or extremely low gluten vodkas (made from variously corn, potatoes, grapes, pineapples etc.) and there are a few gluten free beers as well.

There is/was, I think it might have been a one barrel thing, a gluten free single malt whisky (think scotch) made from human pee.

syntaxerrorsix
10-03-2012, 11:56
I'm on board with the Angry Orchards, particularly the Ginger.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6rC31R9Bml2ppDyRjEGk6qVp_cAkByfIvnM-BZC_ttg3Djw8K7Q

I also enjoy Woodchuck. Every once in awhile I come across Woodchuck Pear which is some seriously tasty stuff.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9ijhsfk-k9Kh8PEbCI0JCryOthbKB5jU_oYaaJTGd9YXcREpguQ

Fox184
10-03-2012, 12:53

I am allergic to wheat and have been thinking about trying some Hard Cider. I'm not much of a drinker, so it's not on my top of priorities list.

There are some very good small wine companies that make excellent wine. Your wife should try some of those. Prairie Berry Winery out of Hill City, SD is excellent. Rum is also a good alternative.

John Rambo
10-03-2012, 14:27
Strongbow

Travclem
10-03-2012, 16:48
The best hard cider is the one that matches your panties, miss.:rofl:Buy yourself a bottle of whiskey and be done with it.

Osborne
10-03-2012, 16:58

Angry Orchard is good!

syntaxerrorsix
10-03-2012, 16:58
The best hard cider is the one that matches your panties, miss.:rofl:Buy yourself a bottle of whiskey and be done with it.

Hush now and go make me a sammich :tongueout:

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/syntaxerrorsix/photobucket-41051-1349305081729.jpg?t=1349305083

Providence
10-03-2012, 17:17
I also enjoy Woodchuck. Every once in awhile I come across Woodchuck Pear which is some seriously tasty stuff.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9ijhsfk-k9Kh8PEbCI0JCryOthbKB5jU_oYaaJTGd9YXcREpguQI'm also a fan of Woodchuck Pear Cider!

Travclem
10-03-2012, 17:25
Hush now and go make me a sammich :tongueout:

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/syntaxerrorsix/photobucket-41051-1349305081729.jpg?t=1349305083
:rofl:That's what I'm talkin' about.

syntaxerrorsix
10-03-2012, 18:06
:rofl:That's what I'm talkin' about.

:supergrin:

:wavey:

:tongueout:

Restless28
10-03-2012, 18:23
Having my second Angry Orchard Crisp Apple.

It's awesome!!!

I also picked up some Woodchuck Fall cider.

Thanks for the suggestions.

syntaxerrorsix
10-03-2012, 18:27
Having my second Angry Orchard Crisp Apple.

It's awesome!!!

I also picked up some Woodchuck Fall cider.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I go out of my way for tasty Micro Beers and Ciders. Those two are easily obtainable top of the liners.

USMCsilver
10-03-2012, 18:30
Thanks y'all. We've found some potato vodkas that she stomachs well. We've also found a few beers; she's fond of Redbridge.

Wines -- have not ventured that route, yet. She's a huge fan of Allegro Moscado. Yeah, it may give her some "troubles" but she's willing to deal with them for that wine. :)

Restless28
10-03-2012, 19:53
The Woodchuck Fall Cider is superb. It tastes like a brisk morning or evening walk through rustling leaves, and then relaxing by the fire with the smells of fall cooking.

This has to be the most unique and flavorful drink that I have ever had.

Dragoon189
10-03-2012, 19:57
Angery orchard, strong bow, and samuel smiths organic hard cider. Can't go wrong with any of those

Hummer
10-04-2012, 09:33
Going to try some hard cider this week. Out of the commercial brands, which ones are good?

Also, the local orchard sells fresh cider. They claim to treat it with something to prevent making your own hard cider out of it. Is this possible?

The cider plant where I sell my cider grade fruit uses potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate as preservatives, both of which will prevent fermentation. They also flash pasteurize which can reduce the delicate flavor qualities.

I can buy untreated apple juice from them but I have to sign an affidavit acknowledging the risk and releasing them of liability. In '09, I bought a 55 gal. barrel of juice to make apple wines which turned out great. It was pretty cheap, about $1.57 a gallon, and it saved me the labor of crushing and pressing my apples.

You might be able to buy that way if you tell them you'll make wine. But the lower alcohol level of hard cider probably won't protect you from serious pathogens if they are present

I started a couple apple wines last week and will do a few more, but probably just process the apples myself.

BTW, I like Woodchuck, the green apple has a great apple flavor.

MikeG22
10-04-2012, 09:51
This stuff is the best!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RBZnDtOlULw/S9oWPYZFqmI/AAAAAAAAKtA/iT8dZ2tk6Cg/s1600/IMG_3894.jpg

And the one with some cherry added in, Cherry Bomb (wife's favorite)
http://wearenotfoodies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Julian-Cherry-Bomb-Hard-Cider-Bottle-Glass-225x300.jpg

USMCsilver
10-04-2012, 10:22
My wife's favorite way to consume Woodchuck Pear is to add about a shot of Chambord and give it a slight stir.

She had it one night while out; it was called "Hummingbird Water". Not my cup 'o tea, but I'll admit, it is DAMNED good. :)

DanaT
10-04-2012, 11:55
Strongbow

I dont like that stuff. In Lausanne, there is a "English Pub" (Called the Great Escape) that has it fresh on tap. Didnt care much for it.

syntaxerrorsix
10-04-2012, 16:47
This stuff is the best!
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_RBZnDtOlULw/S9oWPYZFqmI/AAAAAAAAKtA/iT8dZ2tk6Cg/s1600/IMG_3894.jpg

And the one with some cherry added in, Cherry Bomb (wife's favorite)
http://wearenotfoodies.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Julian-Cherry-Bomb-Hard-Cider-Bottle-Glass-225x300.jpg

I've had both of those. They are pretty good but not always readily available.

rockymtnhorror
10-05-2012, 14:58
I'm with John Rambo. Strongbow. I was introduced to Strongbow on draught in Dubai when I was hanging out with a Welshman who was retired from the SAS. A good time, indeed, followed by some painful mornings...

MrsKitty
10-05-2012, 15:06
Not the same thing, but a mug of hot cider with Fireball cinnamon whisky is yummy!

stevelyn
10-05-2012, 17:23
Nothing beats homemade cider fermented using champagne yeast.

Another vote for Woodchuck Amber for commercial cider.

Ranger142
10-05-2012, 19:55
Woodpecker cider. It can be hard to find, but very worth looking for.

syntaxerrorsix
10-05-2012, 20:20
Not the same thing, but a mug of hot cider with Fireball cinnamon whisky is yummy!

That doesn't sound horrible.

Restless28
10-06-2012, 06:56
Cider has ruined me. I had a Titan Hades after having 2 Angrys. I didn't even like it.

My local store got some of the Ginger Angry Orchard in. I think I'll stock up with cider today.

P.S. The lack of gluten in the cider seems to be working out for me. I don't feel bloated or tired the next day now.

syntaxerrorsix
10-06-2012, 08:29
Cider has ruined me. I had a Titan Hades after having 2 Angrys. I didn't even like it.

My local store got some of the Ginger Angry Orchard in. I think I'll stock up with cider today.

P.S. The lack of gluten in the cider seems to be working out for me. I don't feel bloated or tired the next day now.

The only thing I can find everywhere is the Woodchuck. I wish I had a local source for the Ginger.

jtull7
10-09-2012, 18:31
Until a few years ago, nobody had even heard of "gluten free." IMHO, it is a fad for hypochondriacs.

One cannot imagine the way some (mostly New-Agers) live in Santa Fe. Every day you see people wearing face-masks, people sue their neighbors because they have a cell phone and the radiation ruins their lives, people who look like ghetto starvation victims scrutinizing for hours the labels in organic food stores to make sure that there are no harmful and deadly ingredients contained therein, women believing that deodorant gives them breast cancer, people ordering room-temperature water in restaurants (because water with ice in it is somehow harmful), and on and on.

It is simply unbelievable where these people get their beliefs.

syntaxerrorsix
10-09-2012, 18:41
Until a few years ago, nobody had even heard of "gluten free." IMHO, it is a fad for hypochondriacs.

One cannot imagine the way some (mostly New-Agers) live in Santa Fe. Every day you see people wearing face-masks, people sue their neighbors because they have a cell phone and the radiation ruins their lives, people who look like ghetto starvation victims scrutinizing for hours the labels in organic food stores to make sure that there are no harmful and deadly ingredients contained therein, women believing that deodorant gives them breast cancer, people ordering room-temperature water in restaurants (because water with ice in it is somehow harmful), and on and on.

I eat I drink. If it's good I'm gonna get more :thumbsup:

The whole "organic" craze amazes me. I haven't seen the silliness you've mentioned here in FL to date.

Easterbrook
10-09-2012, 19:01
I make my own.

http://i.imgur.com/6eFh9.jpg

All one must do to make regular cider "hard" is to add yeast and let it ferment. BUT, certain juices or ciders may have added preservatives designed to prevent spoilage, which may also prevent yeast from doing their thing, and thus prevent fermentation.

So yes, it is possible that your local orchard adds such a preservative to its cider.

If you want to make hard cider, start with cider that has no preservatives added (other than ascorbic acid, which is a source of vitamin C and does not affect fermentation).

JohnBT
10-09-2012, 19:46
I like www.albemarleciderworks.com (http://www.albemarleciderworks.com) products. My uncle knows them and the orchard isn't far from the old family orchard. And I can get it a few places in Richmond.

Fox184
10-09-2012, 21:53

I'm very happy there is a "fad" for gluten free. It makes life much easier for Wheat Allergy sufferers like myself. When I was first diagnosed it was difficult finding food that I can eat. This whole "gluten free fad" has made finding food much easier.

Start checking the ingredients on food. Wheat and Soy are in everything. Food you would not think they should be in.

scwine
10-10-2012, 19:26
As a former distributor of a few cider's, Ace Pear from Sonoma was our best selling.
Blackthorn cider from England was a pretty good dry cider.

Quite a few would mix Ace Pear w/ Newcastle and call it a Sweet Newkie. Also, at a nearby college town, lots would mix Ace Pear w/ Maredsous*8 and call it a preacher's collar.

grahamw
10-11-2012, 08:08
I like Crispin, Strongbow and Magners.

I Crispin website says to mix it with Guinness, Harp or Smithwicks. I may have to give that a try.