If You Were Going to Buy a Tablet RIGHT NOW...Which One Would You Get? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : If You Were Going to Buy a Tablet RIGHT NOW...Which One Would You Get?

Nalapombu
10-03-2012, 03:28
Hey all,

After looking at several tablets this evening at Best Buy I wondered what is coming at the end of the year and beginning of next year and whether the Microsoft Surface Tablet would make a splash at all and become a MAJOR player in the Tablet world or would the IPAD continue to DOMINATE with no let off on demand.

What do you all think?

If you were going to predict, what features do you think will be on the next generations of tablets or what will the next wave of tabs will look like.
Will the intro of Windows 8 make any difference in tablet design and functionality?

Do you think there will be tablets that have a Windows Explorer type capability where the user can access the folders, move and manipulate their files as they choose?

I'd like to hear what you think about what might be coming and what tablet you would buy right now and why.

I have one of the original Kindle fire tablets. It's a pretty nice little machine, especially for reading. You can't beat being able to take as many books with you as you could possibly read in a year and even more. I might try and pick up one of their new Fire HD models that has the bigger 8.9 inch display.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Nalajr

Bruce H
10-03-2012, 04:50
Big Chief.:whistling:

tcruse
10-03-2012, 05:00
I would wait to see how good the windows 8 tablets perform. If you get one with x86/64 processor you will be ale to run all of your usual desktop applications as well as the "metro" stuff. Windows 8 is a little different but runs the current win 7 software without any difficulty and is somewhat faster on same hardware (due to less graphics requirements). Most users will find it to work fine. Enterprise users tha have server 2008 hyper-v admin requirements will not be so happy

Lowjiber
10-03-2012, 05:32
iPad.

Since Vista, Microsoft has totally dropped the ball when it comes of operating systems...IMHO.

Gallium
10-03-2012, 05:33
...don't put too much thought into this stuff. Purchases are decided on at a whim, or with a minimal of thought regurgitation.

coqui33
10-03-2012, 05:37
Hardware: Something with a pop-out keyboard, like the ASUS slider.

Software: Free, open-source Android, which is developing by leaps and bounds.

AtlantaR6
10-03-2012, 05:39
iPad.

Since Vista, Microsoft has totally dropped the ball when it comes of operating systems...IMHO.

Windows 7 is the best OS they have ever made.

I would also wait for Win 8. I have a gen 2 iPad and the Galaxy Note 10.1. Neither of them is all I want it to be, which is a laptop replacement.

I think the future will include dock able like the Asus Transformer, the ability to truly run Office apps, and dual boot Windows and Android.

SGT HATRED
10-03-2012, 06:00
Tablets are pointless. Get a small laptop with a cd/dvd drive. Tablets can only do 1/10 of a laptop and often cost more.

YamahaBlue
10-03-2012, 06:10
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 in December because I really liked the size versus the 10" tablets that were out. Having used it since and the fact that I have an iPhone, I would wait another month or so and get the iPad Mini. Not a fan of Android at all, very unstable.

HexHead
10-03-2012, 06:12
iPad. It's the only mature platform.

HexHead
10-03-2012, 06:14
Tablets are pointless. Get a small laptop with a cd/dvd drive. Tablets can only do 1/10 of a laptop and often cost more.

Nonsense. The HD on my MacBook crashed 2 years ago and I've had no need to repair it. My iPad does all I need and that includes for my business as well.

syntaxerrorsix
10-03-2012, 06:25
If was forced to use a touchscreen for all my computing needs I'd lose my mind. If I have to hook a keyboard up to a tablet to get it to perform so that I can type at passable speeds I'm going to buy a net/laptop. No way a touchscreen tablet without a file structure and the ability to easily transfer and save data will replace a real computer for the majority of users any time soon.

HexHead
10-03-2012, 06:36
If was forced to use a touchscreen for all my computing needs I'd lose my mind.

It's all what you get used to. I bought a new iMac a few months ago, and I'm so used to typing on my iPad in landscape, I hate using the real keyboard on the IMac. Between the iOS shortcuts and the layout, I can type much faster and more accurately on my iPad than on the iMac.

NMGlocker
10-03-2012, 06:45
A tablet is not a laptop and if you bought one thinking it would be a laptop replacement you didn't do your research.
Buy any 7"-10" tablet, skip they keyboard because that's like putting diamond ear rings on a pig.
A tablet is a media consumption device that is capable of light work.
They are designed for internet browsing, reading email, playing games, e-books, music and possibly reading/light editing documents.
They are for doing all this on the go, train, airplane, in the car or at the Dr's office waiting room.
I have a iPad2, Nexus7 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" and 10", all are great for what they were designed to do. If I need to work on the go I break out the MacBook Air, but if I want to be entertained on a 6 hour flight I use my tablet.
Go into it as an educated customer to avoid disappointment. One more time, A tablet is NOT a laptop replacement.
My 7" tablet will slip in the thigh pocket of my cargo shorts and I can watch a movie in HD, answer a few emails or browse some forums while riding the crowded metro 45 minutes into DC then pop up Google maps and navigate to where I'm going once I'm downtown. That's what a tablet does that laptops can't.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

hamster
10-03-2012, 06:51
If I only has $200 to spend or I really wanted a smaller form factor, Nexus 7 is the only choice. I would buy no other android tablet. 100% stock 100% supported by google.

If I had $500 to spend iPad all the way. Mainly because all of the apps come first to iPad and get the updates the fastest. There are many more business class apps available for iPad as well.

cranejc
10-03-2012, 07:02
iPad - several stores still have iPad 2's for $100 off, since they're last year's model. I prefer stability, reliability, fit, and finish - I've owned androids and iDevices, and Apple just does it right for me.

Jack_Pine
10-03-2012, 07:06
If you are a MAC guy, get the Ipad.

If you are a MS guy (and have need for MS Office apps) I would wait and see how the Surface Pro looks/acts/performs..........

Just my .02

hamster
10-03-2012, 07:08
My 7" tablet will slip in the thigh pocket of my cargo shorts and I can watch a movie in HD, answer a few emails or browse some forums while riding the crowded metro 45 minutes into DC then pop up Google maps and navigate to where I'm going once I'm downtown.

New Mexico to DC in 45 minutes. Thats a hell of a Metro ride! :rofl:

certifiedfunds
10-03-2012, 07:21
New Mexico to DC in 45 minutes. Thats a hell of a Metro ride! :rofl:

It's thanks to stimulus money.

nesnah2
10-03-2012, 08:00
Nexus 7 tablet. It runs "vanilla" Android ICS (4.0.4, go to the droid life site for a good review). The Asus Transformer Prime is also supposed to a beast of a tablet, and getting the Jelly Bean (4.1) update within the next week.

hamster
10-03-2012, 08:15
Nexus 7 tablet. It runs "vanilla" Android ICS (4.0.4 Android Jelly Bean (4.1, go to the droid life site for a good review). The Asus Transformer Prime is also supposed to a beast of a tablet, and getting the Jelly Bean (4.1) update within the next week.

Fixed it for you.

BTW:
Opas IPad - YouTube

syntaxerrorsix
10-03-2012, 08:34
It's all what you get used to. I bought a new iMac a few months ago, and I'm so used to typing on my iPad in landscape, I hate using the real keyboard on the IMac. Between the iOS shortcuts and the layout, I can type much faster and more accurately on my iPad than on the iMac.

I agree with that, I'm used to 55WPM on a tactile keyboard. I'd be really impressed if I find anyone that can reach that on a touch screen k/b with any degree of accuracy.

sbhaven
10-03-2012, 08:38
Nexus 7 tablet. It runs "vanilla" Android ICS (4.0.4, go to the droid life site for a good review). The Asus Transformer Prime is also supposed to a beast of a tablet, and getting the Jelly Bean (4.1) update within the next week.
You're information about the Nexus 7 OS is wrong. Currently all N7 tablets ship with Android 4.1, aka Jelly Bean.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

drumr04
10-03-2012, 09:02
I just bought an Asus Transformer tf300. I picked it up from Amazon "used" for $270 with tax. I've only been using it for a day but I really like it. Its great for chilling on the couch checking the forums or watching YouTube. I was looking at the tf700 at ~$460 but I couldn't justify the extra money for a metal case, slightly faster CPU, and higher res screen.

Viper16
10-03-2012, 09:06
iPad. I know alot of you are apple haters, but the large catalog, fan base, and support blows all the others away. You will 9 times out of 10 always see a release of application for the iPad first followed by the android market.

Do not expect to replace your laptop and people who think they can with the "right" tablet is kidding themselves. IF you require a keyboard or windows based then a small netbook might be the better option.

I use my tablet everyday for 1-2 hours. I have begun to use it in the work field. My sister, a Federal Probate officer, is issued am IPad as their "laptop" and have apps for access to everything, so they can work anywhere.

certifiedfunds
10-03-2012, 09:24
A tablet is not a laptop and if you bought one thinking it would be a laptop replacement you didn't do your research.
Buy any 7"-10" tablet, skip they keyboard because that's like putting diamond ear rings on a pig.
A tablet is a media consumption device that is capable of light work.
They are designed for internet browsing, reading email, playing games, e-books, music and possibly reading/light editing documents.
They are for doing all this on the go, train, airplane, in the car or at the Dr's office waiting room.
I have a iPad2, Nexus7 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" and 10", all are great for what they were designed to do. If I need to work on the go I break out the MacBook Air, but if I want to be entertained on a 6 hour flight I use my tablet.
Go into it as an educated customer to avoid disappointment. One more time, A tablet is NOT a laptop replacement.
My 7" tablet will slip in the thigh pocket of my cargo shorts and I can watch a movie in HD, answer a few emails or browse some forums while riding the crowded metro 45 minutes into DC then pop up Google maps and navigate to where I'm going once I'm downtown. That's what a tablet does that laptops can't.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Good post.

You know I got into this one-bagging kick when flying and I'm looking to trim ounces. iPad is very heavy and primarily only used for movie watching on planes and pdf references when working. I'm wondering if a 7" tab might be the ticket here.

wjv
10-03-2012, 09:40
Samsung

ray9898
10-03-2012, 10:04
Ipad 2. Great value right now considering the 3 is out and it is still more than capable for what it does.

I also added a BT keyboard/stand combo. I know some said earlier it was 'pointless' but I found it makes browsing and typing much more comfortable to me.

Blankshooter
10-03-2012, 10:25
Ipad 2. Great value right now considering the 3 is out and it is still more than capable for what it does.

I also added a BT keyboard/stand combo. I know some said earlier it was 'pointless' but I found it makes browsing and typing much more comfortable to me.

Exactly right. It's all personal preference. I can't stand typing on a 7" tablet and found a great keyboard on sale shipped for less than 30 bucks. I don't use it every time I turn on the tablet, but worth having nonetheless.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Bushflyr
10-03-2012, 10:44
Good post.

You know I got into this one-bagging kick when flying and I'm looking to trim ounces. iPad is very heavy and primarily only used for movie watching on planes and pdf references when working. I'm wondering if a 7" tab might be the ticket here.

It is. I quit carrying my 12" Mac laptop because of the weight. And it doesn't weigh much.

Everything NMglocker posted is true. A tablet IS NOT a production device. It's something you can stuff in a pocket for light use on the go. IMO the N7 is the perfect size at a ridiculous price. I looked at an iPad, but due to the size, weight, and price you may as well go with an Air.

G29Reload
10-03-2012, 11:03
Good post.

concur. hit the nail on the head.

Once in awhile, a tablet can step up and get a notebook sized job done if you have no other choice, but its tedious.

Though not a tablet, the macbook air is in the same space. If i had procured a macbook air first and had limited funds, i'd skip the tablet altogether.

No one should be buying any tablet this month, at all, until the ipad mini comes out so that can be assessed. I do have some limited use for a tablet as a consumption device, but do defer to the ipod touch to watch video instead of the bigger iPad if i wish to be discreet. gets the job done. IPAd is mostly for a bigger screen if i'm viewing on the go and have the time to deal with/carry it.

G29Reload
10-03-2012, 11:05

Funny how people try and turn the tablet back into a notebook.

Macbook air is the future. Genius in style, design and function. maximum overdrive with an IPAD-close form factor and mega productive by comparison, plus you can just watch on it if that's all you want to do.

Drain You
10-03-2012, 11:06
Hardware: Something with a pop-out keyboard, like the ASUS slider.

I had no idea that existed. Looks like I'd break it within 2 months though.

To answer the OP, I am probably getting the already recommended 7 inch Nexus. I love playing on an iPad but the screen is just too big for prolonged handling.

But I plan on watching movies on it too so maybe I'll wait and see what Apple comes out with.

Dragoon44
10-03-2012, 11:12
Apple's dominance of the tablet market is declining fast. Currently it is down to 52%. a Year ago Android had less than 20% of the tablet market. Today it holds 48%. That is a huge increase in market share in just a year.

Look for it to continue. A year from now expect to see Android with the dominant market share.

As it did with Smartphones Android will dominate not by building a BETTER tablet than iPad but by building CHEAPER tablets with reasonable performance and features.

Bushflyr
10-03-2012, 11:14
But I plan on watching movies on it too so maybe I'll wait and see what Apple comes out with.

The N7 is great for movies. Just DL VLC beta and go to town. I love my iMac, but iOS is rapidly losing ground to Android for a reason.

certifiedfunds
10-03-2012, 11:50
It is. I quit carrying my 12" Mac laptop because of the weight. And it doesn't weigh much.

Everything NMglocker posted is true. A tablet IS NOT a production device. It's something you can stuff in a pocket for light use on the go. IMO the N7 is the perfect size at a ridiculous price. I looked at an iPad, but due to the size, weight, and price you may as well go with an Air.

100% Yup.

If you can, as G29 says, check out the 11" air for travel. Complete game changer.

sbhaven
10-03-2012, 13:28
Like others have said the tablet will not replace a laptop. Like others have said typing on the 7 inch Nexus 7 can be difficult. And it kind of defeats the purpose to have to drag along a keyboard to use the tablet for heavy typing. However you can use voice typing like I am now to type messages and replies.

As others have indicated the iPad mini is coming out soon and while Apple tends to charge significantly more for their products it maybe worth waiting to see what hardware the mini has at what price point.

While some claim the Nexus 7 memory is limited, you can expand the memory with the use of a USB-OTG cable and the addition of a free app. With the use of this cheap cable you can access USB external devices and hard drives along with SD cards and micro SD cards.

coastal4974
10-03-2012, 13:40
I’m waiting for the TF700 to ship with a stable Jelly Bean OS. If that does’ t happen soon, I’ll give Galaxy another look.

jtmac
10-03-2012, 14:42
If you want a 7" size tablet, the Nexus 7. It's the best price to performance combination there is.

If you want a 10" size tablet, the iPad 3. It's the best tablet, period (and I love my Android tablet).

For equally powerful devices with equally nice screens and equally up to date operating systems, it comes down to form factor. Almost all Android tablets are 16:10 or 16:9--much longer one way than the other. That's like a paperback, and it's fantastic at 7 or 8 inches and smaller. In the 10 inch range, that becomes unwieldy and I think that it's absolutely stupid that almost every Android tablet at that size comes in that screen size ratio. For large tablets, the iPad's 4:3 screen ratio is the most sensible.

rppnj
10-03-2012, 15:01
Our whole family have iPads...me, wife, daughter, son-in-law, both grandkids...and...most of our friends...we love our iPads and and so does everyone else I know who have them!

boomhower
10-03-2012, 15:25
iPad. Pretty much the only thing I do on my computer I can't do on it is convert movies to put on it and photo storage. I love the iPad. For typical consumer computer use it can do just about everything.

I have zero confidence in Microsoft being able to compete. For them to be competitive they are going to have to have iPad quality hardware and software at a cheaper price and I just don't see that happening.

If Apple comes out with a $250 iPad mini it's just going to be game over.

VANWALL
10-03-2012, 15:46
If I only has $200 to spend or I really wanted a smaller form factor, Nexus 7 is the only choice. I would buy no other android tablet. 100% stock 100% supported by google.

If I had $500 to spend iPad all the way. Mainly because all of the apps come first to iPad and get the updates the fastest. There are many more business class apps available for iPad as well.

This is what I would do

RyanSBHF
10-03-2012, 17:16
[QUOTE=jtmac;19481635]If you want a 10" size tablet, the iPad 3. It's the best tablet, period (and I love my Android tablet).

How can the "best tablet" lack basics such as an SD card slot, USB port and direct HDMI out?

Haldor
10-03-2012, 17:57
I would put myself into suspended animation until the iPad Mini was out then buy it.

I do not own any Apple products, but I have been looking at tablets for some time now and Apple has the most stable and usable tablets available.

If I really had to buy a tablet today it would be a Nexus 7.

syntaxerrorsix
10-03-2012, 17:59
Because it's a tablet and not a laptop/netbook?

My Droid has HDMI out and an SD slot but no USB. Everything is a compromise.

syntaxerrorsix
10-03-2012, 18:00
Calling iProduct stable is a bit of a misnomer when you can't do anything with it other than what it wants you to do.

syntaxerrorsix
10-03-2012, 18:01
2x4's are stable as well but if you can't install third party nails and make it a house what's the point?

sbhaven
10-03-2012, 18:10
If Apple comes out with a $250 iPad mini it's just going to be game over.
Doubtful Apple Mini would have a price point under $350. Anything less then that they cut into their iPod Touch line. Plus Apple knows that the have a built in core of Apple product fanboys who will buy the Mini no matter the price point.

syntaxerrorsix
10-03-2012, 18:26
Doubtful Apple Mini would have a price point under $350. Anything less then that they cut into their iPod Touch line. Plus Apple knows that the have a built in core of Apple product fanboys who will buy the Mini no matter the price point.

Here lies the real problem.

bchandler
10-03-2012, 20:03
Funny how most Apple fans say stuff like "Android is a great product but I like Apple because...", while Android users constantly bash Apple products via insult. I read a lot of tech forums and blogs and this always happens.

OP: why not buy a product from Best Buy or similar and try it out, and if you don't like it, return it within the return period. You can try both!

sputnik767
10-03-2012, 20:10

Tablets are made to complement laptops, not replace them. If you're buying it to replace a laptop, you'll end up disappointed.

To answer the OP's question, there are 2 major contenders right now, iOS and Android. If you're a fan of iOS, the iPad will not disappoint. If you prefer Android, only go for Samsung. Since this does not seem like the thread for debating iOS vs Android, I'm not going to comment on the topic.

As far as Windows 8 tabs, their future remains to be seen. It looks great on paper though, but I'm not sure that the price point will be acceptable to the average buyer.

sputnik767
10-03-2012, 20:25
I’m waiting for the TF700 to ship with a stable Jelly Bean OS. If that does’ t happen soon, I’ll give Galaxy another look.

I have the TF201 that just got updated to Jelly Bean. Take my word for it and skip Asus all together. If you want an Android device, only go with Samsung. They are the Apple of the Android world, and likely even better.

Drain You
10-03-2012, 22:57
I saw a tech report on Fox today that said the company that makes iPads for apple is bringing in a crapload of 7.5 inch screens.

May wait now, dang it.

michael_b
10-03-2012, 23:01
iPad 3rd Gen, at least 32GB. Preferably the wifi + cellular one. You may not need the cellular radio very often but when you do, it's great to have that option.

I have a 1st gen iPad and a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2.0 running ICS and the iPad is still the better experience.

iOS just works, the menus are logical for the most part, and it's just so much easier to use.

.264 magnum
10-03-2012, 23:03
I saw a tech report on Fox today that said the company that makes iPads for apple is bringing in a crapload of 7.5 inch screens.

May wait now, dang it.

It's a done deal.

.264 magnum
10-03-2012, 23:04
iPad.

I'd, actually I am waiting for the 7.5" iPad.

Random
10-04-2012, 07:17
If you want a 10" size tablet, the iPad 3. It's the best tablet, period (and I love my Android tablet).

Which Android tablet do you have? Lately, I've found myself grabbing my Excite 10 and leaving my IPad in my locker most mornings.

Bigger screen, but weighs less. I drag and drop all formats of movies, music, books, comic books, pictures, and documents onto it without having to convert anything. Quad core processor instead of dual. Stereo speakers instead of mono. FLASHPLAYER. Built-in GPS. And its storage is expandable!! Got a 128gb sd card last week. I haven't filled it yet, much less touched my internal storage space. (Can't even imagine how much a 144gb IPad would cost if they made them) All that and I don't need proprietary cables to connect to my tv, projector, or laptop. I don't know.

I'm not anti-Apple. I still have an IPod, ITouch, and an IPhone next to my IPad in the same locker, but aside from a hi resolution screen I don't see what's so great about the IPad. I'm trying to come up with alternative uses for mine now.

I don't know which Android tablet you have, but maybe it's time for an upgrade. They've got some good models out there.

**Edited to add: oh yeah, and I have a usb slot. You would not believe how handy that can be.

sbhaven
10-04-2012, 08:10

May wait now, dang it.
The problem with wating is, there will always be something better around the corner. There will always be the "next big thing", the next "ipod/ipad killer".

If you have the money, go Apple since they currently have the better App Store. And for tablets its all about the Apps. If you want more versatility, an open OS, generally a cheaper device which may have more features/options, and not be walled in with iTunes, then go with an Android tablet.

Every one's holding their breath waiting to see what Apple will deliver with the Mini. Once the Mini hits there is liable to be a fire sale on other tablets while the Apple Fanboys and media are busy fawning and hyping the capabilities of the Mini.

mikeflys1
10-04-2012, 10:04
iPad.

I'd, actually I am waiting for the 7.5" iPad.

Same here.

Nalapombu
10-05-2012, 00:22
Thanks everyone for all the info.

So if I get you all right, the only tablets to consider are the IPAD and the ones by SAMSUNG. Is that true?

I haven't fooled with the Samsung at all. Every time I see one in a store it is never operational. I have played around with the IPAD and ever since playing that video game Metalstorm for about 5 minutes, I want one.

Actually I am in the middle of trying to figure out what computer gear to get. I would love to have one of the Apple laptops, but they are just too much money for me right now. I've thought about getting a decent desktop and supplementing it with an IPAD. Then I've thought about getting a budget $250 laptop or a Pawn Shop Special and saving my money to get an Apple laptop, If I go that way, there is no reason to get an IPAD, is there? Although I have fancied the idea of getting a 17 inch laptop, it would be my only computer, and a Tablet.
So many possibilities..... Then I tell myself to wait until we see what the Microsoft Surface will do and what capabilities it will have before buying a tablet. I think if the Surface is priced like the IPAD and it has functions like a laptop but without the fixed keyboard, I might really want one of those if it has access to the apps like Apple and Android does.

One other thing, it irritates me that the very cool game apps, and some in other categories, are only available in one format, usually APPLE. That game Metalstorm and the Zombie Gunship are only on APPLE. Excuse the mentioning of game apps, but these cool games are new to me. I never did buy a PlayStation, Nintendo or XBOX and play those games. I guess it's like I'm a kid that missed all the cool toys and now is trying to go back and see what I've missed.

Who knows what I'll end up with. A couple months ago I felt as though the tablets were just a toy, nothing more than that and that there was no reason to get one. I thought "why get a tablet that limits what you can really do on one, when you can spend a tad more and get something like the MacBook AIR 11 inch screen and have all the things you need right there. I still kinda cling to that idea, but I also see that a Tablet can be a useful tool and would be nice to have a good one.

It'll be interesting to see what this IPAD Mini is going to look like and what capabilities it'll have. No doubt it'll be great, but how great is the question. It has some competition in this area now with the Google Nexus 7 inch, the new Kindle FireHD 7 inch and so on. I have a Kindle Fire, the original one and I like it for what it allows me to do, but do get aggravated at how small it is when I am trying to navigate the web and type in stuff with that virtual keyboard.
I handled one of the new Fire HD's the other day and they are very nice. Much nicer than mine and the reviews I have read so far have a lot of great things to say about it. I am curious about the 8.9 inch version coming at the end of next month. That is supposed to be really nice too with HD screen like the IPAD and 16 gb. LOTS of interesting stuff coming, can't wait to check it all out.

Thanks all for the time.

Nalajr

NEOH212
10-05-2012, 02:17
Probably my regular legal pad. It's done just fine for me all these years I see no need to change now.

:wavey:

boomhower
10-05-2012, 05:10

Personally I think it's going to be $300. I don't think they are worried about it impacting iPod Touch sales. They are completely different devices. The Touch's are portable gaming/MP3 systems. A tablet is a tablet. Sure it is going to cost some of those sales but by in large not a huge affect. What they are worried about is $200 Nexus 7 and the like impacting their market share that can certainly boil over to the phone side. It's the whole ecosystem in effect. If you have one your more likely to get both. Have an iPad? Well your more likely to get an iPhone. Same with Android. After you buy the same app a couple of times you will get rid of one and make a decision. Been there done that.

certifiedfunds
10-05-2012, 06:36
Thanks everyone for all the info.

So if I get you all right, the only tablets to consider are the IPAD and the ones by SAMSUNG. Is that true?

I haven't fooled with the Samsung at all. Every time I see one in a store it is never operational. I have played around with the IPAD and ever since playing that video game Metalstorm for about 5 minutes, I want one.

Actually I am in the middle of trying to figure out what computer gear to get. I would love to have one of the Apple laptops, but they are just too much money for me right now. I've thought about getting a decent desktop and supplementing it with an IPAD. Then I've thought about getting a budget $250 laptop or a Pawn Shop Special and saving my money to get an Apple laptop, If I go that way, there is no reason to get an IPAD, is there? Although I have fancied the idea of getting a 17 inch laptop, it would be my only computer, and a Tablet.
So many possibilities..... Then I tell myself to wait until we see what the Microsoft Surface will do and what capabilities it will have before buying a tablet. I think if the Surface is priced like the IPAD and it has functions like a laptop but without the fixed keyboard, I might really want one of those if it has access to the apps like Apple and Android does.

One other thing, it irritates me that the very cool game apps, and some in other categories, are only available in one format, usually APPLE. That game Metalstorm and the Zombie Gunship are only on APPLE. Excuse the mentioning of game apps, but these cool games are new to me. I never did buy a PlayStation, Nintendo or XBOX and play those games. I guess it's like I'm a kid that missed all the cool toys and now is trying to go back and see what I've missed.

Who knows what I'll end up with. A couple months ago I felt as though the tablets were just a toy, nothing more than that and that there was no reason to get one. I thought "why get a tablet that limits what you can really do on one, when you can spend a tad more and get something like the MacBook AIR 11 inch screen and have all the things you need right there. I still kinda cling to that idea, but I also see that a Tablet can be a useful tool and would be nice to have a good one.

It'll be interesting to see what this IPAD Mini is going to look like and what capabilities it'll have. No doubt it'll be great, but how great is the question. It has some competition in this area now with the Google Nexus 7 inch, the new Kindle FireHD 7 inch and so on. I have a Kindle Fire, the original one and I like it for what it allows me to do, but do get aggravated at how small it is when I am trying to navigate the web and type in stuff with that virtual keyboard.
I handled one of the new Fire HD's the other day and they are very nice. Much nicer than mine and the reviews I have read so far have a lot of great things to say about it. I am curious about the 8.9 inch version coming at the end of next month. That is supposed to be really nice too with HD screen like the IPAD and 16 gb. LOTS of interesting stuff coming, can't wait to check it all out.

Thanks all for the time.

Nalajr

Just FYI. Craigslist has some smokin hot deals on late model macbook airs. From what I can tell about half price. I'd take a year old craigslist MBA (which is what I'm on at the moment) over anything else on the market new if a notebook is what you need.

Black&TAN
10-05-2012, 06:55
Nexus 7 in whatever capacity you feel would best suit your needs.

Great specs, good OS with a GUI that is easy to navigate, at an excellent price point. While Google is surely making money through advertising strategies, and gaining ground in market share, they are not making much off Nexus 7 hardware, particularly in the 8 GB flavor tablet. Bang for the buck, it can't be beat IMO.

For those looking at a Nexus, consider to hold off a bit... Google is said to be aiming for a $99 price point for the holiday season. While specs will likely not be mind blowing, could be worth a look.

sent via Tapatalk

certifiedfunds
10-05-2012, 07:06
I have an ipad 2 and am looking for a 7" tablet to replace it for travel (ipad is too heavy), used primarily for in flight entertainment and quick document reference. I figured I'd go to Best Buy and drop $250 or so on one without hesitation but after playing with them I can't seem to do it and find myself holding out for the elusive minipad.

Nexus gets a lot of negative hits on reviews.
Fire HD isn't expandable and limited to 16GB in stock.
Samsung just feels cheap. Black border around the screen feels overly large proportionally......like for this footprint why didn't they give me a bigger viewable screen?

I'm not in love with the iPad. I want a filing system. However, at least it feels like a quality device when you hold it.

Now some will say what do you want for $250? I agree. I'd be willing to pay more than $250 for a quality 7" tablet.......and I suspect Apple knows this.

Black&TAN
10-05-2012, 08:37
Nexus gets a lot of negative hits on reviews.
Just curious, what negative reviews on the Nexus 7 are you reading? Heavy hitting tech sites like c|net, engadget, etc. have given great marks.

sent via Tapatalk

syntaxerrorsix
10-05-2012, 09:22
Just curious, what negative reviews on the Nexus 7 are you reading? Heavy hitting tech sites like c|net, engadget, etc. have given great marks.

sent via Tapatalk

Agreed. Mine has been outstanding.

G29Reload
10-05-2012, 10:19

May wait now, dang it.

No sense whatsoever in buying now with such a major release coming.

The invites for the release announcement on the 7.85 ipad mini are supposed to go out next week. Interesting to see where the price points will be.

sbhaven
10-05-2012, 10:23

sent via Tapatalk

Agree as well. Mine work great.

There are some complaints about screen lift and a few other issues, but its hard to tell how wide spread the issue might be. Some of the complaints seem to be by the some people flooding the various android forums. There is bound to be issues reported when marketing a new product, especially if the buyers are of the geek variety.

coastal4974
10-05-2012, 20:01
I have the TF201 that just got updated to Jelly Bean. Take my word for it and skip Asus all together. If you want an Android device, only go with Samsung. They are the Apple of the Android world, and likely even better.

Their Jelly Bean rollout has been racked with problems. That’s why I didn’t want to get one before they had it figured out.

But I’m getting tired of waiting on them, maybe it’s time to look again.

certifiedfunds
10-05-2012, 21:00

sent via Tapatalk

Negative reviews was in fact the wrong phrase. Things like no rear camera, no cell radio, only 8GB of memory and no expandability were negatives that stood out for me.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/8301-13489_53-57481465-10389930.html

ETA: Scratch the expandability thing. That was fire hd

PrO...
10-05-2012, 21:02
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

sbhaven
10-06-2012, 04:38
Negative reviews was in fact the wrong phrase. Things like no rear camera, no cell radio, only 8GB of memory and no expandability were negatives that stood out for me.

http://cnettv.cnet.com/8301-13489_53-57481465-10389930.html

ETA: Scratch the expandability thing. That was fire hd
The Nexus 7 has a 16gb version too. Supposedly some are working on attaching cell radios to the N7. And the no back camera, well the Kindle Fire didn't have one either. Frankly I have yet to use the front camera on my N7. With the addition of a cheap USB-OTG cable and a free app one has access to USB storage devices, including SD/microSd/Flash drives, and other external USB devices.

Much of the complaints about the N7 stem from people comparing it to more expensive tablets like the iPad, and expecting it to be something it's not. It's a low cost media consumption device. Fortunately the development community is finding ways to add more capabilities.

roger123
10-06-2012, 06:07
I love my iPad, I already had an iPhone so I had apps and was used to the form factor. I have replaced my laptop but for one thing and that is Garmin Mapsource. I still need a computer for mapping, but other than that I never take out my laptop.

sbhaven
10-06-2012, 06:26
I love my iPad, I already had an iPhone so I had apps and was used to the form factor. I have replaced my laptop but for one thing and that is Garmin Mapsource. I still need a computer for mapping, but other than that I never take out my laptop.
Garmin does have several apps for iPhone/iPad...
http://www8.garmin.com/apps/

If your tablet supports GPS, there are several apps, both free and paid, that will allow for offline (no cellular/wifi service) GPS mapping. Currently using Navfree USA: Free on my Nexus 7 for offline mapping. Its not as good as my Garmin Nuvi GPS but its usable.

This issue brings up the point that while a tablet or cell phone can do many things, there are times when having a dedicated device like a camera or GPS is better. Tablets and cell phones tend to have compromises in hardware or software since they are designed to so many things versus being dedicated to only one task.

faawrenchbndr
10-06-2012, 06:35
IPad.......

certifiedfunds
10-06-2012, 07:04
The Nexus 7 has a 16gb version too. Supposedly some are working on attaching cell radios to the N7. And the no back camera, well the Kindle Fire didn't have one either. Frankly I have yet to use the front camera on my N7. With the addition of a cheap USB-OTG cable and a free app one has access to USB storage devices, including SD/microSd/Flash drives, and other external USB devices.

Much of the complaints about the N7 stem from people comparing it to more expensive tablets like the iPad, and expecting it to be something it's not. It's a low cost media consumption device. Fortunately the development community is finding ways to add more capabilities.

Well, yeah that's kind of why I ended up buying nothing. I probably went in with the wrong expectations.

Timotheous46
10-06-2012, 09:24
I use a motorola xyboard and really like it
Wifi is spotty around here at best. The ability to use the 3g network is really helpful.
As a matter of fact i'm typing this while on a treadmill at the gym

Tim

sbhaven
10-06-2012, 09:29
Well, yeah that's kind of why I ended up buying nothing. I probably went in with the wrong expectations.
One of the big problems with the Nexus 7 and why so many initially bashed it was because of the Asus Memo 370T (demo'd at CES this year) which the Nexus 7 is based on. The 370T was a just about perfect, it had a memory card slot, HDMI output, back facing HD camera with LED flash, GPS, NFC, Blue Tooth, and other features for an Asus estimated price of $250 or less. Hell, the Nexus 7 motherboard is even stamped (http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/xhTPAkRFCAyuI6QJ.huge) "Asus ME370T". To make things worse, when Google demo'd the Nexus 7 at the Google I/O conference they showed the tablet doing screen mirroring via what appears to be an HTML connection. There were even pictures (http://www.androidworld.it/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Nexus-7-8.jpg) showing the HDMI port. Turns out they used a modified, non consumer release, version for the demo.

The Nexus 7, or Kindle Fire HD, or other 7 inch tables are not for everyone. They do have their drawbacks. For me typing on a 7 inch tablet is a little difficult. 10 inch tables are not for everyone either, they too have drawbacks, for me it was the larger size (can't pocket carry) and weight.

No tablet will satisfy everyone. For me the Nexus 7, at the time, had the most features for what I could afford, and was getting really good reviews. Sure I wish it had an memory card slot, back facing camera, and or HDMI/MHL support. But it doesn't. However, there is an easy workaround to the no memory slot issue, and there is supposedly a possible workaround to the HDMI/MHL issue in the works as well. Plus there are hacks to enable the use of a 3G dongle on the Nexus 7.

All in all I've been very satisfied with the Nexus 7 since I bought it in late July.

Edit to add: Here is the Google IO conference video where they demo the screen mirroring that is not available (as of yet) on the consumer released units.
http://youtu.be/JKY9SPCki2s?t=8m27s

Gareth68
10-06-2012, 09:43
Apple's dominance of the tablet market is declining fast. Currently it is down to 52%. a Year ago Android had less than 20% of the tablet market. Today it holds 48%. That is a huge increase in market share in just a year.

Look for it to continue. A year from now expect to see Android with the dominant market share.

As it did with Smartphones Android will dominate not by building a BETTER tablet than iPad but by building CHEAPER tablets with reasonable performance and features.

Yeah, but you are likely still upset at overpaying for your first tablet...

http://jeremylent.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/writing-tablet-from-uruk-mesopotamia-c-3000-bce.png

:whistling:

certifiedfunds
10-06-2012, 11:07
One of the big problems with the Nexus 7 and why so many initially bashed it was because of the Asus Memo 370T (demo'd at CES this year) which the Nexus 7 is based on. The 370T was a just about perfect, it had a memory card slot, HDMI output, back facing HD camera with LED flash, GPS, NFC, Blue Tooth, and other features for an Asus estimated price of $250 or less. Hell, the Nexus 7 motherboard is even stamped (http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/xhTPAkRFCAyuI6QJ.huge) "Asus ME370T". To make things worse, when Google demo'd the Nexus 7 at the Google I/O conference they showed the tablet doing screen mirroring via what appears to be an HTML connection. There were even pictures (http://www.androidworld.it/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Nexus-7-8.jpg) showing the HDMI port. Turns out they used a modified, non consumer release, version for the demo.

The Nexus 7, or Kindle Fire HD, or other 7 inch tables are not for everyone. They do have their drawbacks. For me typing on a 7 inch tablet is a little difficult. 10 inch tables are not for everyone either, they too have drawbacks, for me it was the larger size (can't pocket carry) and weight.

No tablet will satisfy everyone. For me the Nexus 7, at the time, had the most features for what I could afford, and was getting really good reviews. Sure I wish it had an memory card slot, back facing camera, and or HDMI/MHL support. But it doesn't. However, there is an easy workaround to the no memory slot issue, and there is supposedly a possible workaround to the HDMI/MHL issue in the works as well. Plus there are hacks to enable the use of a 3G dongle on the Nexus 7.

All in all I've been very satisfied with the Nexus 7 since I bought it in late July.

Edit to add: Here is the Google IO conference video where they demo the screen mirroring that is not available (as of yet) on the consumer released units.
http://youtu.be/JKY9SPCki2s?t=8m27s

I'm gonna look again. I have an iPad 2 but want something smaller and lighter for in flight movies and quick document reference.

How does it compare to the Samsung in you opinion?

coastal4974
10-06-2012, 21:07
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

Do you have to use the S pen? That would be a PITA to have to fumble for the pen every time you use the tablet.

ClydeG19
10-07-2012, 09:26

Apple invented the tablet market. If we're looking at strictly market share, Apple had no where to go but down as soon as there was any competition. Tablets are one of the fastest growing consumer products. The numbers sold are only going up (both Apple and whatever flavor of Android).

OP, the Ipad mini is going to be unveiled on 10/17 and is rumored to hit the stores in early November. Personally, I'd wait to see what the Ipad mini is packing before choosing.

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 09:47
Apple invented the tablet market. If we're looking at strictly market share, Apple had no where to go but down as soon as there was any competition. Tablets are one of the fastest growing consumer products. The numbers sold are only going up (both Apple and whatever flavor of Android).

OP, the Ipad mini is going to be unveiled on 10/17 and is rumored to hit the stores in early November. Personally, I'd wait to see what the Ipad mini is packing before choosing.

Not really.

That would be Microsoft in 1999-2000 with the Microsoft Tablet PC.

http://cdn.dipity.com/uploads/events/6e4a7350a2b304b90e04736bacefa5e9_1M.png

10 years later after the technology advanced and components shrank in weight and cost did the iPad came out.

Dragoon44
10-07-2012, 09:56
Yeah, but you are likely still upset at overpaying for your first tablet...

http://jeremylent.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/writing-tablet-from-uruk-mesopotamia-c-3000-bce.png

:whistling:

Hey! it was a ROCK SOLID tablet!!!

:tongueout::rofl:

Dragoon44
10-07-2012, 10:03
Apple invented the tablet market.

Apple pretty much invented the personal PC. But Microsoft ended up dominating int he personal PC market.

It is seldom the originator that ends up dominating the market.

History will repeat itself but instead of Apple Vs. Windows it is going to be Apple vs. Android. Like Windows android is going to win the largest market share.

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 10:12
Apple pretty much invented the personal PC. But Microsoft ended up dominating int he personal PC market.

History will repeat itself but instead of Apple Vs. Windows it is going to be Apple vs. Android. Like Windows android is going to win the largest market share.

Actually Roberts is credit with the inventing the Altair PC in 1975. Woz and Jobs collaborated on the first Apple in 1976

G29Reload
10-07-2012, 10:23
Actually Roberts is credit with the inventing the Altair PC in 1975. Woz and Jobs collaborated on the first Apple in 1976

Here we go….:upeyes:

:rofl:

G29Reload
10-07-2012, 10:25
Like Windows android is going to win the largest market share.

Someone has to fill the cheap seats in the upper bleachers.

Apple seems to come along with quality and perfection, then every "me too!" in the trailer park who can't afford one waits for the cheap knockoffs. Then that crap sells like hotcakes.

Which for the frustrated who save up eventually turn into IPAD sales.:rofl:

certifiedfunds
10-07-2012, 10:26

The interesting thing is that despite market share numbers, apple is the most profitable in every space it plays.

G29Reload
10-07-2012, 10:28
Not really.

That would be Microsoft in 1999-2000 with the Microsoft Tablet PC.

http://cdn.dipity.com/uploads/events/6e4a7350a2b304b90e04736bacefa5e9_1M.png

10 years later after the technology advanced and components shrank in weight and cost did the iPad came out.

I wonder what that thing weighs.

And why I never saw a one. I heard something, vaguely…maybe a article or two, don't know that it ever got out there.
What did it do, or do well?

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 10:31

Once again, nothing to add to the conversation.

Go be a dick elsewhere.

certifiedfunds
10-07-2012, 10:34

And why I never saw a one. I heard something, vaguely…maybe a article or two, don't know that it ever got out there.

That has an HP logo on it

G29Reload
10-07-2012, 10:37

Ah, clears that up. :supergrin:

I do give them credit for style. Considering the time frame that was pretty forward looking. But most HP stuff does double as a boat anchor.

Would have been the era incompetent Carly Fiorina. No wonder it couldn't make waves.

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 10:38

I don't know why you never heard of them, maybe your elementary school didn't have the funding to pick them up when they came out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Tablet_PC

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 10:41

Microsoft created the software and specifications but had others build the units.

G29Reload
10-07-2012, 10:44
I don't know why you never heard of them, maybe your elementary school didn't have the funding to pick them up when they came out?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Tablet_PC

Who pissed in your cheerios this morning?

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 10:51
Who pissed in your cheerios this morning?

This is the second thread you've walked into in a week and made a smart ass remark in regards to one of my posts that added absolutely nothing to the conversation.

In both cases what I stated was factual. I don't know why you take that personally but it appears you do. If you disagree with anything I have to say I'd be glad to address your points but at least have one.

Dragoon44
10-07-2012, 10:56
The interesting thing is that despite market share numbers, apple is the most profitable in every space it plays.

That is generally because Apple does it better than the others.

But that "better" comes at the cost of premium prices which everyone is not willing to pay.

Hence Apple OS lost market share to second rate windows. because windows had features people wanted and was cheaper.

G29Reload
10-07-2012, 10:58
This is the second thread you've walked into in a week and made a smart ass remark in regards to one of my posts that added absolutely nothing to the conversation.

I don't recall addressing you personally about anything. Nor would I care or have written it down.

You really need to switch to decaf. Metamucil might work too.

You know this is the lounge, right?

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 11:03
I don't recall addressing you personally about anything. Nor would I care or have written it down.

You really need to switch to decaf. Metamucil might work too.

You know this is the lounge, right?

I'm sure you have no recollection.. meanwhile back OT.

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 11:08
That is generally because Apple does it better than the others.

But that "better" comes at the cost of premium prices which everyone is not willing to pay.

Hence Apple OS lost market share to second rate windows. because windows had features people wanted and was cheaper.

I think Apple does quite a few things really well. If they could capture the business market MS wouldn't be much of a talking point anymore. The best thing Apple has going for it is marketing. Both PC's an iProducts use similarly inexpensive components for builds. The worst thing going for it is the closed platform approach.

certifiedfunds
10-07-2012, 12:04
I think Apple does quite a few things really well. If they could capture the business market MS wouldn't be much of a talking point anymore. The best thing Apple has going for it is marketing. Both PC's an iProducts use similarly inexpensive components for builds. The worst thing going for it is the closed platform approach.

They are rapidly capturing business and education with iPhones and iPads and making headway with Mac computers.

Though I'm sure they're out there I've yet to encounter a business or school deploying android. They like the administrative control and problem free operation that iOS gives them.

And more and more businesses are accommodating Mac usage even if they aren't willing to cough up for the machine themselves.

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 12:12
They are rapidly capturing business and education with iPhones and iPads and making headway with Mac computers.

Though I'm sure they're out there I've yet to encounter a business or school deploying android. They like the administrative control and problem free operation that iOS gives them.

And more and more businesses are accommodating Mac usage even if they aren't willing to cough up for the machine themselves.

Schools in Florida started out with Apple IIe's and then moved into PC's The only corporation that I know of that issue iPhones is AT&T I don't know anyone that issues Android, mostly Blackberries it seems. RIM better get it's act together before they lose there niche.

Price is a killer for folks in the business of making money as opposed to spending it for little to no gain.

certifiedfunds
10-07-2012, 12:24
Schools in Florida started out with Apple IIe's and then moved into PC's The only corporation that I know of that issue iPhones is AT&T I don't know anyone that issues Android, mostly Blackberries it seems. RIM better get it's act together before they lose there niche.

Price is a killer for folks in the business of making money as opposed to spending it for little to no gain.

Look a little more. iPhone and iPads are now commonplace as corporate issue. Corp phone contracts issue iPhones at no charge. iPads are widely issued in the corporate world.

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 12:30
Look a little more. iPhone and iPads are now commonplace as corporate issue. Corp phone contracts issue iPhones at no charge. iPads are widely issued in the corporate world.

What do you suppose is keeping so many companies from abandoning RIM then? I've about had it with BB to be honest.

certifiedfunds
10-07-2012, 12:32
What do you suppose is keeping so many companies from abandoning RIM then? I've about had it with BB to be honest.

I dunno. Change? Infratructure? My company issues both but is softly encouraging iPhone now.

sbhaven
10-07-2012, 13:00
I'm gonna look again. I have an iPad 2 but want something smaller and lighter for in flight movies and quick document reference.

How does it compare to the Samsung in you opinion?
Don't have a Samsung tablet so don't know how the Nexus 7 would compare to it. The Kindle Fire and Nexus 7 both should be fine for watching movies and light document reading in a smaller form factor. I use a case like the one below with my Nexus 7. The case has several folding positions to allow viewing of the tablet on a flat surface like an airline seat back tray.

Amazon.com: Blurex Ultra-Slim Case for Google Nexus 7 inch Tablet -- With built in Multi-Angle Stand: Computers & Accessories@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41jLsDqV2XL.@@AMEPARAM@@41jLsDqV2XL

Dragoon44
10-07-2012, 13:06

I liked my BB but I finally gave up on rim and went android. Thought I would have a difficult time adjusting but turns out I didn't.

I wouldn't give two cents for pre Ice cream sandwich android but with ICS and dual core phones? life is sweet! I switched and am not looking back especially now that my Galaxy Nexus is running Jelly Bean.

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 13:10
I liked my BB but I finally gave up on rim and went android. Thought I would have a difficult time adjusting but turns out I didn't.

I wouldn't give two cents for pre Ice cream sandwich android but with ICS and dual core phones? life is sweet! I switched and am not looking back especially now that my Galaxy Nexus is running Jelly Bean.

I'm running a Droid X and BB Touch. My Nexus 7 has convinced me I need a new phone.

Dragoon44
10-07-2012, 13:18
I'm running a Droid X and BB Touch. My Nexus 7 has convinced me I need a new phone.

Rim never got touch screen right and I was not willing to wait around for BB10 to see if they finally did.

Galaxy Nexus got Jelly bean last month, GS3 is scheduled to get it this month.

G29Reload
10-07-2012, 13:54
Rim never got touch screen right and I was not willing to wait around for BB10 to see if they finally did.

Galaxy Nexus got Jelly bean last month, GS3 is scheduled to get it this month.

Ok, for a former BB user, I'm now on a Bold. How are notifications, email beep when you get one, say if you have a web mail account like yahoo plugged into it, customizeable by sender, doesn't make you go look for email and open it, but beeps regardless even if email is closed?

How is your energy management, did you have to root it and manually turn stuff off?

How is the camera quality?

GVFlyer
10-07-2012, 14:04
There's the iPad, then there's everything else.

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 14:28

Have you used anything else to compare the iPad to?

iPads are nice but they aren't the end all be all of the tablet world. It really depends on application.

It's just another tool in the bag.

When iPad has a proper filing system, doesn't lock you into iTunes, and the means to expand memory we can re-visit your statement.

Dragoon44
10-07-2012, 14:39
I'm now on a Bold. How are notifications, email beep when you get one,

This was what surprised me about android the most. I was told that Android did not have true push notifications. Maybe previous versions did not I suppose but Ice cream sandwich and Jelly bean certainly do.

I get notifications just as fast as I did with blackberry. In ICS or JB you can set how you want to be notified down to the blink rate of the pulse notification light to how many times you get beeped.

I have Gmail and get push notifications of my emails and the drop down notification bar in JB actually contains most of the message. click on it and it opens the message in your email.

How is your energy management, did you have to root it and manually turn stuff off?

Mine is great but then I don't do youtube, facebook or twitter. or watch movies on my phone.

So battery life is pretty much dependent on your use. I can get three days out of a charge because I mostly stay on WiFi instead of 3g (4LTE is not available in my area yet.) I also keep GPS off unless I need it.

In ICS and Jelly bean I have not had to root to turn stuff off the apps that cannot be removed can be disabled in settings.

How is the camera quality?

I have the Galaxy Nexus with 5MP camera I would rate it at fair. other android phones have 8MP and are considered better cameras but the 5MP is fine for me.

You mentioned the bold I would definitely say the 5MP camera on my Galaxy is better than the bold. the GNex has auto focus and the new bolds do not.

If you have not handled an android phone running Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean it is a completely different experience than previous builds of Android. they are fast, smooth, and stable.

G29Reload
10-07-2012, 14:46
I have Gmail and get push notifications of my emails and the drop down notification bar in JB actually contains most of the message. click on it and it opens the message in your email.

So battery life is pretty much dependent on your use. I can get three days out of a charge because I mostly stay on WiFi instead of 3g (4LTE is not available in my area yet.) I also keep GPS off unless I need it.

You have to be on 3g for your phone to always be working, no? I mean you also need a continuous connection to get your pushmail, I suppose it can go thru wifi.

My BB is "always on". email and phone come thru 24/7, mandatory for me.

Dragoon44
10-07-2012, 14:51
You have to be on 3g for your phone to always be working, no? I mean you also need a continuous connection to get your pushmail, I suppose it can go thru wifi.

My BB is "always on". email and phone come thru 24/7, mandatory for me.

You have to have either 3G or WiFi on to get email notifications. mine is on WiFi most of the time and I get the notifications just fine.

denn1911
10-07-2012, 14:58
I'm still using the original iPad...haha. I'm waiting on the next gen iPad to come out before I upgrade. As it stands now, I love it.

G29Reload
10-07-2012, 15:08
You have to have either 3G or WiFi on to get email notifications. mine is on WiFi most of the time and I get the notifications just fine.

But your phone is always on so you don't miss calls?

How about data transfer?

On the BB, I can select a data file, a picture, whatever…hit a menu and send it via bluetooth. Say, to my mac, flip the bluetooth on and the mac chomps down on the file and dumps it to my downloads folder and opens it automatically.

Can you do that? pics, music, data? etc

I'm thinking of an S3.

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 15:13

I've always had email push for both Gmail and Verizon to include all the notification options you mentioned. I picked up the Droid X shortly after release so a little more than two years now. It's currently running Froyo 2.2.

Dragoon44
10-07-2012, 16:05
But your phone is always on so you don't miss calls?

yep my phone is on 24/7

How about data transfer?

My phone has bluetooth but I have never used it. I use a free app called Air Droid for data transfers. it utilizes WiFi for the data transfer to the computer or from the computer to the phone. it's fast and very easy.

The GS3's are nice, rumor is there are going to be some big whopping sales on them on Black Friday.

Dragoon44
10-07-2012, 16:07
I've always had email push for both Gmail and Verizon to include all the notification options you mentioned. I picked up the Droid X shortly after release so a little more than two years now. It's currently running Froyo 2.2.

Wait till you try one of the newer phones running Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean. you will drop that Froyo device like a hot potato.

boomhower
10-07-2012, 17:54
BB has already lost. Many big name corporations have moved on from BB. They are still hugely popular in the corporate arena but it's a little less everyday. A lot of it is from the top down. The execs are tired of the same boring BB's and want the cool new iPhone so the IT guys are told to support it. As the tools have gotten better it's spread to allowing the rest use them as well. BB's real strength is security in communications and security of the devices as well. They are still king in the former but with a variety of remote wipe methods the latter is rather common place now. With them delaying BB 10 yet again it's all over but the crying at this point. Just a matter of time before they are either sold or implode.

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 18:00
Wait till you try one of the newer phones running Ice Cream Sandwich or Jelly Bean. you will drop that Froyo device like a hot potato.

I'm due.

syntaxerrorsix
10-07-2012, 20:15

I just want to get this out here.

I was wrong, it was G36's Rule that initiated previously conflicts.

I was dead wrong for posting the way I did towards you. No excuses.

GVFlyer
10-07-2012, 20:36
Have you used anything else to compare the iPad to?

iPads are nice but they aren't the end all be all of the tablet world. It really depends on application.

It's just another tool in the bag.

When iPad has a proper filing system, doesn't lock you into iTunes, and the means to expand memory we can re-visit your statement.

Yes, an ASUS Transformer, but I didn't find it to be as good as an iPad. The manufacturer of the jet I fly recommends that pilots use the iPad on the flight deck, my company issues them to all execs and the FAA has practically mandated their use on Gulfstreams, so why try to swim upstream to use a competing product that may be as good.

syntaxerrorsix
10-08-2012, 04:50
Yes, an ASUS Transformer, but I didn't find it to be as good as an iPad. The manufacturer of the jet I fly recommends that pilots use the iPad on the flight deck, my company issues them to all execs and the FAA has practically mandated their use on Gulfstreams, so why try to swim upstream to use a competing product that may be as good.

Yeah Sporty's is jam packed with mounting options for the iPad that's for sure. I still see that as an application specific reason for owning one.

Drain You
10-08-2012, 07:05
I was unfortunate to be working on a Sunday and needing to go shopping, so I went into a "super" Wal Mart yesterday. The urge I've been fighting to splurge on a Nexus 7 finally overcame me and I checked to see if they had one.

Nope.

Sitting in the parking lot, I called a few of the other 38 Wal Marts we have, Best Buy, Target, none of them had it either. Target and Best Buy actually said they aren't going to be carrying them.

Walmart.com has the $249 model listed on their site. I do not want that one. I don't know if this this is a limited release or if they want you to buy it in the PlayStore online or what, but the urge has passed for now.

Snaps
10-08-2012, 07:10
Right now the ipad2. Im patiently awaiting the mini though

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

iiibbb
10-08-2012, 09:44
For just entertainment purposes

New Kindle fire (if you are already wrapped up in Amazon Prime)

otherwise the Nexus 7.

If you are looking to do real work, the ASUS transformer or Samsung Galaxies.

moeman
10-08-2012, 13:21

+1 and w/ windows 8 touch screen + laptop + tablet that has usb and SD slots in one unit.

BTW: I Fly laptop + IPAD3 and the ipad is in distant 2nd.

moeman
10-08-2012, 13:30

Because Apple was smart in getting itunes and tying up content... not because the IPad 3 is better...I have one it's so-so.

Give me a SD card slot and USB interface then we are starting to be on the same page.

GWG19
10-09-2012, 20:26
iPad.
Funny thing about the iPad, the local schools are issuing them, my Doctors Office is now using them, heck I use them for sales at my company.
I have never seen any company using an Android device. When we sync calendars using Outlook the only device that has issues is my employees with a Android device.
I use a PC most of the time, and have had no problem with the MAC OS.