Extractor plunger spring not completely seated? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Extractor plunger spring not completely seated?

jvbronco
10-03-2012, 06:59
Quick question - I recently stripped my slide and noticed that the extractor plunger spring on my gen 4 G19 was not completely seated onto the plastic spring bearing (? Is that what the little plastic piece is called?).

I have had very sporadic extraction issues with the G19 - seldom poor ejection and a fail to eject about once every 200-300 rounds.

Could this spring not being properly seated be causing the issues? It is put back together and ready to test it out. It is difficult to diagnose due to the infrequency of the problem. I am hoping someone can chime in with some insight.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

dhgeyer
10-03-2012, 16:50
OK, I'll take a crack at it. The piece you refer to is the Spring Loaded Bearing (SLB). At the other end of the assembly, pressing on the extractor is the Extractor Depressor Plunger (EDP). When the slide is assembled, and if the extractor is pulled out all the way, the EDP and the SLB make contact with each other. This limits the extractor's travel. If you look at the small end of the SLB, you will notice it is cupped. The back of the EDP has a small round end meant to mate with this. That's how it is on a new gun. Sometimes the SLB isn't quite straight and the EDP beats it up, changing the configuration of the end of the SLB.

I will surmise that if your SLB was not seated close to fully, you would have trouble getting it back in the slide and getting the Slide Cover Plate back on. If it was not seated by just a tiny bit, then this would increase tension on the spring, which would probably be a good thing. The stock Glock extractor is pretty weakly tensioned, and there is a thriving aftermarket in stronger springs. I personally have made SLB's out of steel with longer "caps" to put more tension on the spring. As long as the total length of the SLB is correct, and the extractor can move properly, this has done no harm and possibly a bit of good.

So, to summarize, I am not sure your SLB was not seated properly when in the slide. It may have moved as you removed it. If it was not seated by any appreciable amount you would have trouble getting it in.

At any rate, I doubt that any possible lack of seating of the spring on the SLB would cause sporadic problems like you describe. More likely what you are having is normal Glock Gen 4 performance. If you follow some of these threads around here, you will pick up that you are far from alone. Glock has gone through 3 different recoil spring assemblies, and two ejectors on the Gen 4 G19's, and some people are still having trouble.

I know the latest RSA is marked 0-4-3. The old ejector was 336 or something, and I forget the new number, but someone will chime in I am sure. You might want to check and see if you have the latest parts.

Hope this rambling helps.

voyager4520
10-04-2012, 05:40
Sometimes the EDP spring will come unseated from the EDP or the SLB when the slide cover plate is removed. It's happening when the slide cover plate is slid down and the spring releases its tension, you can be sure that when the plate is in place the spring is fully seated to both parts.

I would bet the erratic ejection and failures to eject you experienced were caused by a different problem. If your ejector is marked "336", I would upgrade to the latest "30274", and if you continue to experience erratic ejection with the new ejector, keep that ejector in the gun and try a replacement 9mm LCI extractor.

My Gen3 G27 ejected erratically, a "Gen4" 28926 .40 ejector and a replacement extractor fixed it. The replacement extractor alone made next to no difference, the new ejector is what fixed it.

It would appear that sometimes erratic ejection is caused by an out-of-spec extractor because replacing it fixes the problem. But with recent production Glocks the problem more commonly seems to be something else, with my Gen3 G27 I believe the slide was not cut correctly, causing the extractor to not firmly hold the rim of the casing. If that's the case, the only way to improve ejection would be to make a custom-fit extractor which no company currently does and wouldn't be cost-effective anyway, or reprofile the ejector. The new 30274 and 28926 ejectors have a rearward tilt to their face which raises the case mouth of the spent casing higher so that it better clears the ejection port.

If your Gen4 G19 has the old 336 ejector, you can order a Gen4 9mm trigger housing that contains the 30274 ejector and drop it right into your frame to replace the old trigger housing w/ 336 ejector. MidwayUSA.com, LoneWolfDist.com, and glockparts.com all have Gen4 9mm trigger housings with the 30274 ejector, other retailers may have old stock that still has the old 336 ejector.

jvbronco
10-04-2012, 07:13
Thanks for the great info!

I'm taking it out today - my fingers are crossed for reliable performance.

Unfortunately, I do have the recent parts (ejector and spring). I'm back ordered for the Apex Glock extractor. That kit comes with a stronger spring too so I really have my hopes up...

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine