Cut your own damn food kid [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cut your own damn food kid

Bilbo Bagins
10-03-2012, 09:06
I seen a growing trend that has me concerned that the future generations of American will be screwed in the future.

I'm at a diner eating lunch, sitting at a table and facing a booth. In the Booth is a mom and two kids. The girl is about 12 years old, and the boy is a big 6 foot tall skinny teenager with a local high school hoodie on.

Food comes to the booth and the daughter hands her plate to Mom, and she proceeds to cut her food up for her. I'm thinking, that is silly , my kids learned to cut there own food at an earlier age.

Then the teenage boy pipes up and says "Mom" and hands over his stack of pancakes for his mom to cut up :shocked:

For the record, the kids did not seem to be mentally handicap, or physically disabled...just lazy.

Pancakes...PANCAKES!! A Toddler with a butter knife should be able to cut up pancakes.

The sad thing is this isn't the first time I seen it. I have even seen it with other kids in my family. What the heck is wrong with kids these days. Back in the day, I would have been embarrassed to have my parents cut my food.

sheriff733
10-03-2012, 09:08
Good lord. What is wrong with people?

Yes, my mom did the same thing to meat (steak, chicken, etc.) when I was 5-6 at the latest, but she was worried I would choke.

After that, I was on my own.

Unreal.

Bren
10-03-2012, 09:13
That sounds pretty crazy. Never seen anything like that, but in a world where people need a helmet to ride a bicycle, I'm not surprised.

reminds me of this:

http://karendecoster.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/20-Evolution_Final_72-red-589-url.jpg

SC Tiger
10-03-2012, 09:53
I seen a growing trend that has me concerned that the future generations of American will be screwing in the future.

I'm at a diner eating lunch, sitting at a table and facing a booth. In the Booth is a mom and two kids. The girl is about 12 years old, and the boy is a big 6 foot tall skinny teenager with a local high school hoodie on.

Food comes to the booth and the daughter hands her plate to Mom, and she proceeds to cut her food up for her. I'm thinking, that is silly , my kids learned to cut there own food at an earlier age.

Then the teenage boy pipes up and says "Mom" and hands over his stack of pancakes for his mom to cut up :shocked:

For the record, the kids did not seem to be mentally handicap, or physically disabled...just lazy.

Pancakes...PANCAKES!! A Toddler with a butter knife should be able to cut up pancakes.

The sad thing is this isn't the first time I seen it. I have even seen it with other kids in my family. What the heck is wrong with kids these days. Back in the day, I would have been embarrassed to have my parents cut my food.

I cut up my son's food.

He's 2.

At 12 he better either cut his own food, swallow it whole, or he's gonna starve.

There has to be more to this.

mgs
10-03-2012, 09:59
Does not shock me.....Adults still live at home with Mommy and or baby Daddy. No shame these days.

fnfalman
10-03-2012, 10:03
Was the mom hot, though?

MtBaldy
10-03-2012, 10:06
I've seen it too. It's discouraging and depressing but not much shocks me today.

kirgi08
10-03-2012, 10:19
:faint:

Drain You
10-03-2012, 10:22

The mom probably saw you staring her kids down, identified you as a gun nut and was just keeping anything away from her hoodie wearing son anything you might perceive as a weapon, leastwise you stand your ground.

That or the entire family is lazy/stupid.

captainstormy
10-03-2012, 10:33
I've seen it alot. Crazyness. I can't imagine that at that age.

I remember when I was a kid and one of my friends was with my mom and I. He got a baked potato at lunch and wanted my mom to put the butter and sour cream in it. We were 7 or 8 at the time.

She told him to do it himself and he figured it out. Come to fi nd out hia parents did that for him even at that age.

I thought that was odd enough at that age. Can't imagine it at that old.

stolenphot0
10-03-2012, 10:38
I think my niece at 10 still isn't allowed to use a knife. I handed my daughter her own sharp knife at 8 and have at it. I am about to upgrade my other daughter to a sharp knife and let her go to town.

harlenm
10-03-2012, 10:39
My 3 year old has been cutting his own food for the past year. We still mostly cut if for him, but he knows how to do it.

The Dying Gaul
10-03-2012, 10:40
I made Jello with my kids the other day. There was actually a warning on the box about not letting a child under the age of 6 eat the jello without it being cut into small pieces and without being under the supervision of a parent.

You have got to be kidding me. Kids today are obviously so weak, they cannot even eat Jello with the fear of choking?

All 3 of my children where eating chicken and steak as soon as they had their 2 front teeth. They eat peanut butter, hot dogs, whatever. They have never choked. At 3, they knew how to use a knife and scissors.

We have friends that baby their children and don't let them do anything remotely risky. Some are still eating baby food after a year. These children are in general weak and are the ones that choke or get hurt.

Glock20 10mm
10-03-2012, 11:02
My 9 month old is already feeding herself (no utensils yet...) so no, I don't see myself cutting her food much past the age of 3.

skinny99
10-03-2012, 12:19
My 9 month old is already feeding herself (no utensils yet...) so no, I don't see myself cutting her food much past the age of 3.

I just cut up the grilled chicken for my 10 months old lunch. I make her feed herself things that can can be easily picked up by her. But I really don't have to make her do it. She already wants to do things for herself. She has been eating a mix of real food and baby food since before she was 6 months.

I don't believe in babying kids. They will just turn out weak and have no independence. That doesn't mean that you don't protect them. You can't let truly dangerous and deadly things happen, but you can let fail and fall and learn on their own.

We are being brainwashed as a society to overprotect and give in it to our kids wants. That is not how it is supposed to be. Everyday I see to commercials that talk about their kid being a picky eater. Of course the commercials answer is some over sugared drink that is no good for them. A copout for the parents who doesn't want to stand their ground and be tough.

Batesmotel
10-03-2012, 12:34
This is what happens when typical "helicopter/power mommies" get out of control.

That crap didn't fly in my house but I fully expect to see it from two of my three sisters in law.

My daughter (24) was at the cabin playing with one of her young cousins (about 4). The girl wanted to see the bugs under the rocks and asked my daughter to lift them. My daughter showed her how to lift small ones herself. My niece told my daughter she couldn't because she would get in trouble if she came back with any dirt on her hands.

This was at a cabin in the woods next to a stream and many of my nieces and nephews are not allowed to play outside except on the deck.

I know many young kids (nieces and nephews included) who do not do any chores like clean bedrooms, wash dishes, wash clothes because mommy does it for them.

Buki192327
10-03-2012, 13:20
The kids don't know how to cut anything with a knife. They only know to stab something with a knife. :whistling:

janice6
10-03-2012, 13:29
It is pathetic that learning responsibility is considered to much of a burden on youngsters growing up now.

In my family the first thing taught to children is responsibility, for themselves and others.

My father used to say, "NO one is going to do it for you". No one did, back then.

He also used to say, "How do you know you can't, if you have never tried!".

IndyGunFreak
10-03-2012, 13:37
This is what happens when typical "helicopter/power mommies" get out of control.

That crap didn't fly in my house but I fully expect to see it from two of my three sisters in law.

My daughter (24) was at the cabin playing with one of her young cousins (about 4). The girl wanted to see the bugs under the rocks and asked my daughter to lift them. My daughter showed her how to lift small ones herself. My niece told my daughter she couldn't because she would get in trouble if she came back with any dirt on her hands.

This was at a cabin in the woods next to a stream and many of my nieces and nephews are not allowed to play outside except on the deck.

I know many young kids (nieces and nephews included) who do not do any chores like clean bedrooms, wash dishes, wash clothes because mommy does it for them.

I've seen things like this so many times. The "helicopter mommies" will be the downfall of this country, as they continue to raise total wussies.

IGF

JFrame
10-03-2012, 13:41
It appears we are careening toward the Eloi faster than H.G. Wells could have ever imagined.

Chuck TX
10-03-2012, 13:54
I've seen it. Still can't believe what a sissified society we've become.

I was wandering around on a ranch with a Zippo and a fixed blade by 6. These days folks would think that's crazy. I have a theory about delegating (or not) personal responsibility at a young age.

larry_minn
10-03-2012, 13:58
When my nephew was @6 he stayed with me for two weeks. He wanted me to cut crust off bread/etc. I told him to eat it all or at least eat up to crust. He did every meal after that. His mom came to pick him up and he wants "mommy" to cut crust off bread. :(

NIB
10-03-2012, 14:01
I was cooking my own food at 5 years old!

Glock20 10mm
10-03-2012, 14:39
I just cut up the grilled chicken for my 10 months old lunch. I make her feed herself things that can can be easily picked up by her. But I really don't have to make her do it. She already wants to do things for herself. She has been eating a mix of real food and baby food since before she was 6 months.

I don't believe in babying kids. They will just turn out weak and have no independence. That doesn't mean that you don't protect them. You can't let truly dangerous and deadly things happen, but you can let fail and fall and learn on their own.

We are being brainwashed as a society to overprotect and give in it to our kids wants. That is not how it is supposed to be. Everyday I see to commercials that talk about their kid being a picky eater. Of course the commercials answer is some over sugared drink that is no good for them. A copout for the parents who doesn't want to stand their ground and be tough.

Guess I didn't get the memo on over-protection. My philosophy is simple, if there is a credible danger I destroy the danger/protect my children. But if they fall down and go boom... "Get up, brush off, get back to it." Worked with my 15 year old, will work with my 9 month old (already is... you know as a parent when they are hurt, then you coddle them when it's real... but a bump? Meh... creates massive wimps).

Bren
10-03-2012, 14:45
I think my niece at 10 still isn't allowed to use a knife. I handed my daughter her own sharp knife at 8 and have at it. I am about to upgrade my other daughter to a sharp knife and let her go to town.

By 8, my nephew was field dressing his own deer. maybe earlier - he started killing deer and turkeys at age 4. He has his own guns, bows, knives, and was saving for a new Bennelli shotgun last I heard.

NeverMore1701
10-03-2012, 14:52
That sounds pretty crazy. Never seen anything like that, but in a world where people need a helmet to ride a bicycle, I'm not surprised.

reminds me of this:

http://karendecoster.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/20-Evolution_Final_72-red-589-url.jpg

No freaking crap. It amazes me what's not publicly mocked these days. I couldn't live with myself if I acted like most people do.

MB-G26
10-03-2012, 15:21
I've seen things like this so many times. The "helicopter mommies" will be the downfall of this country, as they continue to raise total wussies.

IGF

<---- is a helicopter mommy of a totally independent 23 yo who runs his own life, and has just started his ASU post-grad program.

<---- cross me, and I might just kill ya.
<--- Touch or give my kid trouble you're doomed.
Muuuhahahaaaaaaaaaa .........................

DairyFresh
10-03-2012, 15:31
Who in the hell cuts pancakes with a knife?

JFrame
10-03-2012, 15:38
Who in the hell cuts pancakes with a knife?

Man -- if I really need to, I'm returning those pancakes to the cook, that's for sure...

boone10
10-03-2012, 15:41
Just another sign that America is no longer raising warriors. Do the Muslims or Chinese cut their children's food? Never mind--we'll know soon enough.

brianfede
10-03-2012, 15:52
A generation of parents that enable their children. Same parents will want to solve their kids problems and won't ever want their kids to be sad. These kids will lack self perception and take no accountability. It makes me sick to my stomach. Mmmmm now that I think about it kinda reminds me of our commander and chief.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

dbcooper
10-03-2012, 16:46
We have 1 we have to help but he's autistic. The rest are on their own.

When I was 5 I cooked my own pancakes, nevermind cut them.

fusegsp
10-03-2012, 18:19
When I was 5 I cooked my own pancakes, nevermind cut them.That's nothing. I was out hunting and killing my own waffles at three. Ain't talking Eggo's. These were big, mean Belgians.

Keoking
10-03-2012, 19:36
My wife may get laid off soon, and I've been trying to think of ways to put her to work at home.

I'm looking forward to NOT cutting anything up myself.

Andy W
10-03-2012, 21:10
I think my mom/ grandma cut my meat for me until I was around 5 or 7. Then I had to do it myself. If I would have asked my mom to cut my food for me at 12+ years old she probably would have said "do it yourself dumass." Not kidding. Those probably would have been her exact words.

That's just stupid. There's no way I would have wanted me mom to cut me food for me at that age, especially a restaurant. For one because it is embarrassing but also because I was probably hungry and wanted to eat as soon as my food hit the table, not wait for my mom to cut my food into little bites.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

BEER
10-03-2012, 21:27
this is the kind of crap that's made me avoid more than a few friends who have kids. i have this medical condition where i have to mock and ridicule people for coddling their kids.

people these days don't let their kids play outside or eat dirt and then they wonder why their kids have no immune system and are "allergic" to everything outside the house.

HollowHead
10-03-2012, 21:32

reminds me of this:

Why is the middle father/son not at the bottom? HH

NeverMore1701
10-03-2012, 21:36
Why is the middle father/son not at the bottom? HH

Because even stupid rednecks are manlier men than sissy little nancy-boys.

HollowHead
10-03-2012, 21:40
Because even stupid rednecks are manlier men than sissy little nancy-boys.

True, but are they better fathers? HH

NeverMore1701
10-03-2012, 21:41
True, but are they better fathers? HH

In general, probably.

RyanBDawg
10-03-2012, 22:31
I might have snapped...

sharpshooter
10-03-2012, 22:50
The parents allowed the kids to be "Emo". The kids dyed, pierced, and cut themselves for attention. The psychologist says the kids are not allowed to use knives anymore. Mom is the only one in the room proffessional enough to cut the pancakes.

Drain You
10-03-2012, 22:54
That's nothing. I was out hunting and killing my own waffles at three. Ain't talking Eggo's. These were big, mean Belgians.

*golf clap*

JW1178
10-03-2012, 23:28
I remember when I was only about 6 when an adult tried to cut up my food, I got pissed "I'm a big boy and can do it myself". Now I see (especially little boys) that just love to be coddled and pampered.

I hike a mountain trail a lot, and a lot of people take their kids. It's really sad actually how boys have been so sissified. A little boy falls and skins his knee, he burst into tears and throws a fit. I remember when I was those kids' ages I didn't want to cry because I didn't want to be thought of as a sissy, but I guess that element is gone now and boys are encouraged to be weak. What's sad is when a little girl falls and skins her knee, she just brushes it off and as long as her clothes or hair isn't effected, she's good to go. The boy should be that way except he shouldn't care too much about if his clothes or hair is effected.

RyanBDawg
10-03-2012, 23:30
I remember when I was only about 6 when an adult tried to cut up my food, I got pissed "I'm a big boy and can do it myself". Now I see (especially little boys) that just love to be coddled and pampered.

I hike a mountain trail a lot, and a lot of people take their kids. It's really sad actually how boys have been so sissified. A little boy falls and skins his knee, he burst into tears and throws a fit. I remember when I was those kids' ages I didn't want to cry because I didn't want to be thought of as a sissy, but I guess that element is gone now and boys are encouraged to be weak. What's sad is when a little girl falls and skins her knee, she just brushes it off and as long as her clothes or hair isn't effected, she's good to go. The boy should be that way except he shouldn't care too much about if his clothes or hair is effected.

I once was doing something stupid that I shouldn't have been doing when I was a kid and broke my arm. I remember not saying anything about it for like an hour because I thought my dad would be pissed at me for being an idiot and breaking my arm.

MadMonkey
10-03-2012, 23:55
Most of the people in this thread would enjoy tonight's South Park episode. It's all about the lack of shame in today's society...

lunarspeak
10-04-2012, 01:47
you wanna hear a real story about being lazy....my son just turned 11 and when im playing world of warcraft ill ask him to cook "ME" some hot pockets and grab me a coke..and i like my HP's cut in half so the cheesy goodness can hit my mouth that much faster while im running a dungeon with my level 59 elemental shaman.

NeverMore1701
10-04-2012, 01:59
you wanna hear a real story about being lazy....my son just turned 11 and when im playing world of warcraft ill ask him to cook "ME" some hot pockets and grab me a coke..and i like my HP's cut in half so the cheesy goodness can hit my mouth that much faster while im running a dungeon with my level 59 elemental shaman.

You don't have a capped friend to haul you through stuff? Follow and you won't even have to touch the keyboard!

NEOH212
10-04-2012, 02:54
That sounds like a liberal family. It's the typical, "You can't do for yourself so rely on someone else to do it for you" kind of thing that liberals are known for amongst other things.

Yep, that's one of the many reasons this nation is in it's decline.

eruby
10-04-2012, 06:33
..... For the record, the kids did not seem to be mentally handicap, or physically disabled...just lazy....I hope the kid was somehow disabled.

But doubtless it was just sloth on the part of the kid AND the parent.

rockymtnhorror
10-04-2012, 10:26
It gets worse. A little Google fu will gin up stories of helicopter parents inserting themselves into their "adult" children's job search and interview processes.

hamster
10-04-2012, 10:55
Hate to this, but most Americans eat like glorified toddlers anyway. Irritates the heck out of me when I see an adult cutting up their steak as if to feed a baby. Lay the knife down, switch it to the other hand and proceed to eat with a single utensil.

BEER
10-04-2012, 11:28
ok i have to ask, what is a "helicopter parent"?

JFrame
10-04-2012, 11:31
ok i have to ask, what is a "helicopter parent"?

From Wiki:

Helicopter parent is a colloquial term for a parent who pays extremely close attention to their child's or children's experiences and problems, particularly at educational institutions.

The term was originally coined by Foster Cline (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Foster_Cline&action=edit&redlink=1) and Jim Fay (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Jim_Fay&action=edit&redlink=1).[1] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_parent#cite_note-0) Helicopter parents are so named because, like helicopters (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter), they hover overhead. It is also called "overparenting". It has also been reported that some such parents get involved with their children's salary negotiations.[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helicopter_parent#cite_note-1)

I kind'a got the drift, but I was curious myself... :)

nursetim
10-04-2012, 11:59
I am having a steep learning curve with kids. We are visiting my MIL and BIL so I'm around my nephew a lot. He has had a real careless upbringing. My lovely wife and I see eye to eye on most everything. The boy is 11 and does next to nothing for himself. He is not allowed to walk to school due to bullies or gangs or something. He lives in the west valley of Las Vegas for God sakes, very upper class.

I have heard of a class in Krav Maga in Israel that is a month long. I'm thinking of sending the boy and myself to get the crap kicked out of us so we can come out on the other side better prepared, both of us.

NeverMore1701
10-04-2012, 12:04
I am having a steep learning curve with kids. We are visiting my MIL and BIL so I'm around my nephew a lot. He has had a real careless upbringing. My lovely wife and I see eye to eye on most everything. The boy is 11 and does next to nothing for himself. He is not allowed to walk to school due to bullies or gangs or something. He lives in the west valley of Las Vegas for God sakes, very upper class.

I have heard of a class in Krav Maga in Israel that is a month long. I'm thinking of sending the boy and myself to get the crap kicked out of us so we can come out on the other side better prepared, both of us.

He sounds woefully unprepared for anything like that, and would likely not gain anything from the experience (except an even stronger inclination to stay inside where it's "safe").

tuica
10-04-2012, 12:19
Wow! Another thing I have noticed recently is children - as old as 5 or 6, with no noticable disability - being carried by adults!

AND; a family visiting my public workplace, proudly stating that they were "pacifists", had with them boy around age 10, holding his mother's hand as the walked about. Now, I'm not against son/mother affection, but this kid looked so weak and protected that he could probably be killed with an angry remark!

Good Luck, America!

Mrs.Cicero
10-04-2012, 15:02
My youngest daughter climbs 20+ feet into the tree over the chicken coop to chase her favorite birds down and into the coop at night. She's looking forward to eating the mean rooster after we kill half of them this weekend. She broke her arm 6 years ago, and didn't react enough for us to realize that's what happened until 4 hours later. She likes riding kid-size motorcycles (Have mercy).

She whines about cutting her own food when I cook anything that isn't melt-in-your-mouth tender. She still has to do it though. I'm not cutting food for a 9 year old.

I'd have been totally embarrassed to ask my mother to ever cut my food.

wjv
10-04-2012, 16:51
Knives are weapons and we can't allow children to have unfettered access to such deadly devices!

"IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!!" (If I shout it makes it more true!)

eruby
10-05-2012, 07:38
Wow! Another thing I have noticed recently is children - as old as 5 or 6, with no noticable disability - being carried by adults!

AND; a family visiting my public workplace, proudly stating that they were "pacifists", had with them boy around age 10, holding his mother's hand as the walked about. Now, I'm not against son/mother affection, but this kid looked so weak and protected that he could probably be killed with an angry remark!

Good Luck, America!He's a 'Bubble Boy'.

Adams454
10-05-2012, 09:44
My girlfriend tries to do that with her 9 year old twins. She tried to do it for my 12 year old daughter until I laughed at her.

She is very much a "helicopter mommy" but is coming around to my way of doing things. When she first moved in, she would coddle any little bump and bruise. But now she tells them to walk it off like I would. At first, her kids thought I was just being mean when I would talk their mom out of coddling them. Then when I showed them the scars and bumps I have from getting much worse injuries, and that I don't regret a one of them, they wanted to know more about getting over the pain of a simple bump. lol. I'm almost a super hero to them now. That is, until my dad told them I was a pansy that is scared of needles. I'm not "scared" of them, I just really really don't like them.