Do you miss the old style Wendy's fries? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you miss the old style Wendy's fries?

Drain You
10-03-2012, 10:17
Apparently so did the owner of Burger King. Finally tried their new fries, and after years of hating their spuds I actually liked them.

A little bit overcooked compared to the way Wendy's use to make them but almost the same. Not salted to death like the "healthy sea salt" crap they have now :steamed:

ray9898
10-03-2012, 10:36
Yes....I prefer the old style from the new ones.

czsmithGT
10-03-2012, 11:09
Yes most definitely the old ones were better. I never understood why they changed. I guess I will check out Burger King. Bar-B-Cutie has the best fries to my taste- thick crinkle cut crispy outside and soft inside. But they don't have many stores.

Bren
10-03-2012, 11:30
I didn't know Wendy's had changed, but Burger King always had terrible fries, so maybe I'll try them now.

Dennis in MA
10-03-2012, 11:54
Yeah. Because they did extensive taste tests and found that 99 out of 100 people hated the new fries and loved the old ones, so they switched.

Sort of like New Coke. You can b-word all you want (assuming you are over 35), but the bottom line is that in blind taste tests, Pepsi wipes the floor with Coke, RC wipes the floor with Pepsi and New Coke beat all dem b-words! Until people started freakin that they wouldn't have their old thing and CC had to recant.

Wendy's tried a new fry and most people prefer them. I know I do, when I have fries. I think Wendy's weakness 5 years ago WAS the fries.

czsmithGT
10-03-2012, 12:02
Yeah. Because they did extensive taste tests and found that 99 out of 100 people hated the new fries and loved the old ones, so they switched.

Sort of like New Coke. You can b-word all you want (assuming you are over 35), but the bottom line is that in blind taste tests, Pepsi wipes the floor with Coke, RC wipes the floor with Pepsi and New Coke beat all dem b-words! Until people started freakin that they wouldn't have their old thing and CC had to recant.

Wendy's tried a new fry and most people prefer them. I know I do, when I have fries. I think Wendy's weakness 5 years ago WAS the fries.

That is pretty much what Wendys said when they changed- they indicated people didn't like their fries and so they decided to change. To each his own but to me the new ones with skin on taste like cardboard. I imagine the new ones are cheaper to make and maybe even healthier, if a fry can be called healthy

captainstormy
10-03-2012, 12:10
Gotta say, I like the new fries better. Not that they are good, McDonald's and Rally's still have better fries. The new ones are better then the old ones though.

mgs
10-03-2012, 12:20
Nope!

ilgunguygt
10-03-2012, 12:34
Rally's fries rule!! All else is simply fried potatoes. If I cant have rally's I prefer a local place that still uses crinkle cuts. A crispy outside soft inside crinkle cut with plenty of salt and dipped in COLD ketchup. Hmmmmmm, reminds me of childhood.

jtmac
10-03-2012, 12:46
I like the new ones a lot, but honestly I preferred the old ones in the long run.

The new ones are "heartier", but are dryer and lack the flavor (aside from the salt).

aspartz
10-03-2012, 12:47
Burger King had the best fries. Now they're on the bottom of the list.

<< Will be happier when the whole skin-on thick fries fad goes away

ARS

Parson
10-03-2012, 12:58
YES! I liked the old style fries better.

ColdSteelNail
10-03-2012, 13:11
I don't miss anything about Wendy's. I haven't eaten at one in about five years. Bland no taste food. Also I bought some chile once and brought it home. I couldn't eat it right away so I put it in the fridge. When I got it out a full inch and half of white fat was setting on the surface. Ugh!!!

8-Ball
10-03-2012, 13:14
Burger King had the best fries. Now they're on the bottom of the list.

<< Will be happier when the whole skin-on thick fries fad goes away

ARS

I agree. Burger King fries used to be the best, now they suck.

captainstormy
10-03-2012, 13:14
I've never liked BKs fries. Their onion rings are okay.

glockandme
10-03-2012, 16:54
Wendy's food anymore is crap compared to when Dave was still kickin. I really don't eat fast food anymore (red meat), but wendy's sure is terrible.

Hef
10-03-2012, 17:02
Crappy fries are the reason I rarely eat Burger King. Glad to hear they've changed up the product.

VANWALL
10-03-2012, 17:19
5 guys has the best fry's!

glock_19guy1983
10-03-2012, 17:25
YES, I do miss the old wendys fries. I also miss the old Mcdonalds fries. Once they changed their grease the fries just didnt taste the same. I could skip their crappy burgers, but every once in a while, a large sweeeeeet tea and a SuperSize order of fries would hit the spot.

Hef
10-03-2012, 17:26
5 guys has the best fry's!

I had Five Guys for lunch. I love dousing my fries in malt vinegar.

RonS
10-03-2012, 17:29
Best fries around were Arbys back in the day. Shoestring fries served in a paper cup like at the county fair. Not good except fresh, then the best. I liked the old Wendy's fries the best of what is around anymore.

I think they found some way to reduce cost 5% at the negligible sacrifice of only 50% of the flavor.

JerryVO
10-03-2012, 17:44
Best fries were from mcdonalds before the hippies ruined them. I can remember when they used animal fat not veggie oil or trans fat free oil.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

RenoF250
10-03-2012, 19:40
All are made from the sacred potato and therefore there are no bad fries just good to better. I like the Carl's Jr. Crisscut fries. How come no fast food with garlic fries? Also, how come none brown them? Almost everyone likes the browned ones.

MasterShake
10-03-2012, 21:33
Yeah, the new ones taste awful.

w30olds
10-03-2012, 21:46
I liked the old Wendy's fries better. Also the new Wendy's pickles suck!

Peace Warrior
10-03-2012, 21:50
No...

jknight8907
10-03-2012, 22:01
In-n-Out fries well done, please. Or Rally's, since that actually exists in the mid-south.

Grabbrass
10-03-2012, 22:11
I miss the old McDonald's fries. How long's it been since they changed 'em? 20 years? And the old McDonald's apple pie ... oh man I hate to even think of that dry cardboard thing they sell now.

droidfire
10-04-2012, 16:28
Don't like the new fries. Haven't eaten at one since I tried the new fries, doubt i'll eat there anymore. Not missing it.

I guess it's a good thing they went with something I don't care for, just eliminates a place for me to spend money. Got no problems with this.

Peace Warrior
10-04-2012, 16:41
On a a side note:

mcd's cashier wasn't giving up four quarters for a dollar today (I actually only needed two), so I asked for a $1.00 special sandwich.

My change was $0.93, great, I got two quarters. Made the phone call at the pay phone, and then thought about that $1 sandwich. I admit I ate it, well, I ate part of it, but then the taste force me to spit up some of it as well as open my gallon milk container from the grocery store to use as a gargle/rinse due to the after taste.

Whatever they use, at mcd's or whoever, it is NOT real meat! That stuff sucks!

wjv
10-04-2012, 16:48
Old fries were much better!

RonS
10-04-2012, 16:57
Tried Burger King today for lunch, haven't eaten there in a long time. Sandwich was better than they used to be but the fries seemed to have some kind of coating on them. They looked like they were coated with something white that clung to the edges. I know it wasn't salt because I saw the fry guy salt them and it was common coarse table salt. It looked like flour or something. IMHO not as good as the old Wendy's fries.

jtull7
10-04-2012, 18:23
If it comes to you in a bag through a window to your car, you can probably eat it, but it's not really food.

Hef
10-04-2012, 18:37
Tried Burger King today for lunch, haven't eaten there in a long time. Sandwich was better than they used to be but the fries seemed to have some kind of coating on them. They looked like they were coated with something white that clung to the edges. I know it wasn't salt because I saw the fry guy salt them and it was common coarse table salt. It looked like flour or something. IMHO not as good as the old Wendy's fries.

Those are the fries at BK that I hate. They suck.

Hef
10-04-2012, 18:38
If it comes to you in a bag through a window to your car, you can probably eat it, but it's not really food.

Unless it's Jim & Nicks.

ICARRY2
10-04-2012, 18:58
Hate the new crappy Wendys fries.

I always get onion rings at BK. Never did like their fries.

McDs has good fries.

grahamw
10-05-2012, 06:05
I loved the old fries. I new ones suck. They are over salted and never crispy.

Now I only go to Wendys for the spicy chicken sandwitch. Anyone notice the chicken patty is starting to get smaller?

okie
10-05-2012, 06:41
I like the new fries better:eat:

Drain You
10-05-2012, 08:50
Lot of varied responses, as people have different tastes. The reason I liked the old Wendy's fries better is because they were thick and they didn't salt them at all hardly.

I dip my fries in ketchup, I'm talking about coating them. If there salt on the fries it doesn't taste right. The new BK fries are thick. They still taste a little like their thinner fries, but the texture is better.

BK onion rings are gross. If you want onion rings go to Sonic :D

I will say in Wendy's defense that I do like the new fries when they aren't thin crisps (which they've went to after the first year of releasing them) as they go really well with ketchup & hotsauce.

Bilbo Bagins
10-05-2012, 08:58
I don't know about the fries, but I like the new Wendy. :whistling:

Original Wendy
http://media.lasvegassun.com/media/img/videothumbs/2010/11/04/Picture-2_t960.jpg?43ffad5983be9db4d9a3e3fb9464e611547fef58

New Wendy

http://redheadedmule.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/morgan-smith-wendy.png

Peace Warrior
10-05-2012, 15:31
Good point.

An aside: If you have ever had a dog with front seat riding privileges, you know that second only to the joy that your dog feels when ever you walk through the door after being gone, is the joy a dog experiences when you pull up to a drive through window at a hamburger joint. They love that! :supergrin:

tony4311
10-05-2012, 16:33
Hated the old fries. They also got cold before I could get home to eat and it wasn't even 5 minutes away.

Duke0701
10-05-2012, 16:35
Yes, I also miss the Mcd's fries that were fried in lard.

Spring Hill Glocker
10-06-2012, 00:50
i like dipping my fries in a wendys frosty and eating em

MadMonkey
10-06-2012, 01:41
I don't like Wendy's... their buns taste funny.

BK fries are great IMHO. Least favorite fries have to be In-n-Out.

Heckler&Koch
10-06-2012, 02:17
Sandwitch
Sandwitch
Sandwitch

onebigelf
10-06-2012, 07:12
Nope. I love the skin-on thick fries. My only complaint is that they tend to heavily over-salt them. I can always add a little more salt if there isn't enough. I have not yet found any practical method of un-salting them.

John

686Owner
10-06-2012, 07:42
I was never a fan of Wendy's old fries. I like the new ones much better.

Also, I prefer Coke to Pepsi.

Hailstorm
10-06-2012, 08:03
Yes, I also miss the Mcd's fries that were fried in lard.

Yes. Nothing was better. The meat tasted like meat.

Now, they switched it up because it is supposedly more healthy. I don't see it. Ok, so they "make it more healthy for the fries." But, then mess with the meat so much that it can hardly be called meat. How does this make sense?

HexHead
10-06-2012, 08:12
BK onion rings are gross. If you want onion rings go to Sonic :D

I will say in Wendy's defense that I do like the new fries when they aren't thin crisps (which they've went to after the first year of releasing them) as they go really well with ketchup & hotsauce.

No, if you want real battered onion rings go to Hardee's. No contest.

Yeah, I prefer the new fries at Wendy's and BK. I also really like the fries at Five Guys, with the malt vinegar, but there's just something about the McDonald's fries that are addicting.

ilgunguygt
10-06-2012, 09:39
No, if you want real battered onion rings go to Hardee's. No contest.

Yeah, any minced onion ring is just garbage. Thats not a real onion ring.

Peace Warrior
10-06-2012, 23:25
Yeah, any minced onion ring is just garbage. Thats not a real onion ring.
My Dad's girlfriend used to make authentic onions rings.

It's not rocket science, she could whip 'em up in half an hour if she had some lard or peanut oil handy. Why the heck would any commercial food chain go for anything less the basic cut onion rings?

A machine can cut em! I dont get it. :dunno:

ETA: Okay, if you buy a burger here, we'll give real onion slices on your burger, but OTOH, if you want onions rings, we are going to get those left over onion scraps we have from making onion slices for our burgers, and we'll mash 'em up, and then use chemicals and added ingredients to form them into rings that will stay together for the battering process, then we'll dip these "rings" into batter, freeze 'em real quick, and subsequently fry 'em up, "special just for you," whenever you stumble into our lobby or make your way up to the window of our drive through.

makes no dang sense at all!

ilgunguygt
10-06-2012, 23:28

It's not rocket science, she could whip 'em up in half an hour if she had some lard or peanut oil. Why the heck would any commercial food chain go for anything less the basic cut onion rings?

I hear ya man. We make them at home sometimes, its so simple its funny. Its justy cheaper and less prep to buy those minced onion turds and drop them in the fryer. Real shame.

Hef
10-07-2012, 08:46

It's not rocket science, she could whip 'em up in half an hour if she had some lard or peanut oil handy. Why the heck would any commercial food chain go for anything less the basic cut onion rings?

ETA: Okay, if you buy a burger here, we'll give real onion slices on your burger, but OTOH, if you want onions rings, we are going to get those left over onion scraps we have from making onion slices for our burgers, and we'll mash 'em up, and then use chemicals and added ingredients to form them into rings that will stay together for the battering process, then we'll dip these "rings" into batter, freeze 'em real quick, and subsequently fry 'em up, "special just for you," whenever you stumble into our lobby or make your way up to the window of our drive through.

makes no dang sense at all!

From a manufacturing perspective, making onion rings from a mashed onion pulp allows for more uniformity of product, higher yield/lower waste, and less training of cooks at store locations. As a customer, you are more likely to receive a consistent serving, regardless of how many locations you visit and how many times, and in the food and beverage business consistency is the key to success.

The product itself is horrible, in my opinion, but it has a low price which should lower your expectations.

Bruce M
10-07-2012, 09:26
There is alot of wisdom in that single sentence.

Peace Warrior
10-11-2012, 02:23
From a manufacturing perspective, making onion rings from a mashed onion pulp allows for more uniformity of product, higher yield/lower waste, and less training of cooks at store locations. As a customer, you are more likely to receive a consistent serving, regardless of how many locations you visit and how many times, and in the food and beverage business consistency is the key to success.

The product itself is horrible, in my opinion, but it has a low price which should lower your expectations.
As a rule of thumb, I "never" eat at fast food joints due to everything you have so correctly pointed out in your post. I do remember Miriam's REAL onions rings though. Those things were GOOD!

And you know what, it was the little differences between batches she made that were so much an integral part of the "goodness" that makes so lame those "consistent servings" at the restaurant chains.

One question for ya: If you're home and the kids want a snack for a movie, playing cards, or whatever, would you offer them homemade onion rings or a trip through the drive through?

Snaps
10-11-2012, 02:44
I don't get fries at Wendys anymore. I also no longer eat McDonalds fries since they changed their cooking method.

Hef
10-11-2012, 19:32
As a rule of thumb, I "never" eat at fast food joints due to everything you have so correctly pointed out in your post. I do remember Miriam's REAL onions rings though. Those things were GOOD!

And you know what, it was the little differences between batches she made that were so much an integral part of the "goodness" that makes so lame those "consistent servings" at the restaurant chains.

One question for ya: If you're home and the kids want a snack for a movie, playing cards, or whatever, would you offer them homemade onion rings or a trip through the drive through?

I would only rarely allow my kids to eat onion rings, and if so they're getting the real thing. I prefer they snack on fruit, Goldfish, cheese, fruit smoothees, etc.

Clutch Cargo
10-11-2012, 19:44
No, I like the new ones.

HarlDane
10-11-2012, 22:00
Made the phone call at the pay phone...
Let me guess, can't use a cell because "they" are listening in on you due to your exposing their NWO plans on the internet?

Or does the tin foil screw with the reception?

Peace Warrior
10-12-2012, 09:26
Let me guess, can't use a cell because "they" are listening in on you due to your exposing their NWO plans on the internet?

Or does the tin foil screw with the reception?
No, package deal with a home phone included. If I go back into a business or employment where I need to make myself available all the time, I'll get another cell, but right now, the recorder at the house works great.

But since you mention it, although I don't care as far as you intimate, yes, everyone's calls are being both recorded and screened. Heck, now it's all "legal" since Bush II and barry soetoro inked the papers saying so. Review the significance of the date, 08-08-2008, as far as patriot act type stuff goes.

Lastly, saving $40 - $50 a month isn't bad either.