scottish rite [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : scottish rite

jakebrake
10-03-2012, 15:38
ok. who is, and who isn't?

my lodge sec now has my scottish rite petition in hand. who has taken the classes through the scottish rite? they are twice a year (or so i am told), and, i'm looking forward to consistory.
i'm also thinking of trying to talk the better half into eastern star. anyone's mrs. eastern star?

Batesmotel
10-03-2012, 18:55
I love the Scottish Rite. I wish I could impart every young man in the country with the lessons in those 29 degrees. I present the 20th degree.

York Rite is great also, but very different.

glock_19guy1983
10-03-2012, 19:02
How would I go about joining the free masons? I do not know any personally or If I do i dont know that they are. Also How would I know if I even want to join the masons since its secretive and I have no Idea what they do?

BearMBD
10-03-2012, 19:10
I too am interested. Many of my family are members and some are Scottish Rite. But none are close to join withy them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batesmotel
10-03-2012, 19:15
How would I go about joining the free masons? I do not know any personally or If I do i dont know that they are. Also How would I know if I even want to join the masons since its secretive and I have no Idea what they do?

Google "masonic grand lodge of (your state)" and you will get the state website.

Also look on line for masonic meetup groups in your area. Basically you meet some masons and get to know them and ask for a petition. They can give you specifics about joining in your state.

AlexHassin
10-03-2012, 19:37
another question, is it true that atheist can not join the Mason's ?

glock_19guy1983
10-03-2012, 19:43
Google "masonic grand lodge of (your state)" and you will get the state website.

Also look on line for masonic meetup groups in your area. Basically you meet some masons and get to know them and ask for a petition. They can give you specifics about joining in your state.

Thank you, my state's masonic page was very informative. There is a lodge in my town and Ill give the contact a call.

truetopath
10-03-2012, 19:45
I'm not Scottish right yet, but hoping to petition soon. I am a Shriner, it's another great group to join. I'm loving that Lodge is back in session now, the summers are long without it.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Bilbo Baggins
10-04-2012, 10:08

that is true, you must believe in a supreme being to become a mason

grecco
10-04-2012, 12:50
ok. who is, and who isn't?

my lodge sec now has my scottish rite petition in hand. who has taken the classes through the scottish rite? they are twice a year (or so i am told), and, i'm looking forward to consistory.
i'm also thinking of trying to talk the better half into eastern star. anyone's mrs. eastern star?

Current WM of my Lodge and also Scottish Rite.

Bilbo Baggins
10-05-2012, 05:51
Past Master of my Pa. Lodge
Serving currently as Director of Work in my Ga. Lodge
Member of the Valley of New Castle Pa.
Member of Yaarab Shrine in Atl.
Serving as Pres. of local Shrine Club

Clutch Cargo
10-05-2012, 08:52

I too am interested. Many of my family are members and some are Scottish Rite. But none are close to join withy them.

To be a Mason, ask a Mason. Good luck on your journey quest.

Clutch Cargo
10-05-2012, 08:54
Past Master of my Pa. Lodge
Serving currently as Director of Work in my Ga. Lodge
Member of the Valley of New Castle Pa.
Member of Yaarab Shrine in Atl.
Serving as Pres. of local Shrine Club

Past Master Smithfield Masonic Lodge #455
Glad you are busy in the Craft, Brother!

Clutch Cargo
10-05-2012, 14:57

Serving as WM of the Lodge - I can think of no other honor that requires you to work so hard yet leaves you with the greatest memories. Congratulations

Clutch Cargo
10-05-2012, 15:03

that is true, you must believe in a supreme being to become a mason

AlexHassin - What YOU perceive a supreme being to be, may be different than others.

BearMBD
10-05-2012, 18:21
Thank you for the answers, Gentlemen. I'll look into Michigans website

AlexHassin
10-05-2012, 19:24
AlexHassin - What YOU perceive a supreme being to be, may be different than others.
yeah i don't believe in a supreme being.

Hyksos
10-10-2012, 05:32
yeah i don't believe in a supreme being.

That is definitely going to be a problem.

As for the Scottish Rite, I am a Scottish Rite Mason with the Valley of Miami. I think the Scottish Rite is amazing, and I strongly prefer it over the York Rite. The Scottish Rite even inspired me to get my first tattoo...based on the 30th degree Knight Kadosh.

The only thing that I feel like I should point out is that there are some pretty distinct differences between the Northern Masonic Jurisdiction (NMJ) and Southern Jurisdiction when it comes to the Scottish Rite.

The Southern Jurisdiction is the oldest Council in the world, and it dubs itself the "Supreme Mother Council of the World.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supreme_Council,_Scottish_Rite_(Southern_Jurisdiction,_USA)

The Northern Jurisdiction was created with the intent that it would govern its own states (which it does).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Rite#Northern_Masonic_Jurisdiction

jakebrake
10-12-2012, 14:42
Hyksos

i had thought about masonic ink as well. i just wasn't sure if that was, well, proper.

matter of fact, your avatar looks like it would look great on my forearm.

jakebrake
10-12-2012, 14:43

what lodge? and, will you be at the s.r. re-union in allentown?

real shame deputy tom is other end of the state, i'd like to meet him. he gave some fine advice to me as far as my journey goes. i'd like to shake his hand, and buy him a coffee (i don't drink...yeah. i'm a bucket of laughs at a party)

Hyksos
10-13-2012, 06:39
Hyksos

i had thought about masonic ink as well. i just wasn't sure if that was, well, proper.

matter of fact, your avatar looks like it would look great on my forearm.

Jake,

First of all, I know a lot of guys down here in Miami with masonic ink. It's pretty common among Masons. I too thought a masonic tattoo would be a no-no, but it isn't a big deal. Now, I don't think it would acceptable to have any of the ritual written out on your body...but a sq/compasses or another such design is perfectly ok. Like I said, my tattoo was inspired from the 30th degree Knight Kadosh (essentially the Scottish Rite Templar degree). The Northern Jurisdiction has no such degree anymore (or so I understand).

My first tattoo ever:

http://s17.postimage.org/92r1tanb1/IMG_0283.jpg

The second sitting:

http://s9.postimage.org/mc1iya7n1/templar1.jpg

http://s9.postimage.org/bf079ikvh/templar2.jpg

I still have one more sitting until the half sleeve is finished. I went in there having a general idea of what I wanted, and I knew from the beginning it was going to be half my arm. If you look closely the only real "masonic" thing on there is a small square and compasses on the castle. I went subtle with mine...but I knwo people who just have basically a huge sq/compasses on their back or their forearms.

Furthermore, there is an actual website dedicated to masonic tattoos called http://www.masonicink.com - You have to register an account with them and be a Mason, sometimes it takes a while. I had to harass them for 4-5 days before they gave an account. For that reason, any Brother who wants to view the website, please PM me and I will be happy to give you my personal login to view the site. The site has HUNDREDS of photos of Brother's masonic tattoos from all over the country. It can give you inspiration for your own, or you can go through them and realize that tattoos aren't evil and many Brothers enjoy them.

deputy tom
10-25-2012, 07:24
I'm a PM of my Blue Lodge, 32 degree Mason in Scottish Rite Valley of Pittsburgh, Shriner in Syria Shrine Temple also of Pittsburgh and my wife is a member of Eastern Star and former officer in it as well.tom.:cool:

mmsig229
10-26-2012, 21:25
Past Master of my blue lodge, 32 Degree Valley of Cleveland, in all three York Rite bodies also.

Hyksos
10-28-2012, 09:13
I think I found deputy Tom's tattoo :P If it isn't yours Tom, then that is one heck of a coincidence.

http://masonicink.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/20938/normal_past_master.JPG

jakebrake
10-28-2012, 11:21
i doubt it's tom's, but it is a pennsylvania pm.

i also think the eagle of liggash would look pretty cool. now that i can wear it, it looks really cool....just saying.

DoubleEagle
11-01-2012, 06:23
Scottish rite Valley of Indianapolis here. Well my user name probably gives me away. Lol

Clutch Cargo
11-01-2012, 06:30
When deciding to go York Rite or Scottish Rite, I followed my late father's route: Scottish Rite

Journey well, brother.

Clutch Cargo
11-01-2012, 06:31
Scottish rite Valley of Indianapolis here. Well my user name probably gives me away. Lol

A coin collecting brother? :supergrin:

jakebrake
11-03-2012, 07:44
A coin collecting brother? :supergrin:

i was thinking colt double eagle.

Batesmotel
11-03-2012, 10:05
When deciding to go York Rite or Scottish Rite, I followed my late father's route: Scottish Rite

Journey well, brother.

Do Both.

deputy tom
11-05-2012, 18:49
I think I found deputy Tom's tattoo :P If it isn't yours Tom, then that is one heck of a coincidence.

http://masonicink.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/20938/normal_past_master.JPG

That is definately a Pennsylvania PM's tattoo but not mine.However if I was going to get one that would be the first choice. Second choice would be the apron of the 32nd degree. Oddly enough the man that made the avatar for me is a tattoo artist from NYC and is a member on a knife forum I belong to. He offered to do any tattoo I desired for free.tom. ;)

Hyksos
11-06-2012, 14:37
That is definately a Pennsylvania PM's tattoo but not mine.However if I was going to get one that would be the first choice. Second choice would be the apron of the 32nd degree. Oddly enough the man that made the avatar for me is a tattoo artist from NYC and is a member on a knife forum I belong to. He offered to do any tattoo I desired for free.tom. ;)

Can I ask what makes it a Pennsylvania PM tattoo specifically? I can't for the life of me find anything that screams "Pennsylvania" to me.

Batesmotel
11-06-2012, 15:20
Can I ask what makes it a Pennsylvania PM tattoo specifically? I can't for the life of me find anything that screams "Pennsylvania" to me.

Compare it to another PM symbol. The others have an arc shaped scale under the square. Pennsylvania is as pictured with the 47th problem.

deputy tom
11-06-2012, 15:33

See Batesmotel's reply. tom.

Compare it to another PM symbol. The others have an arc shaped scale under the square. Pennsylvania is as pictured with the 47th problem.

Correct, but it's the curved scale under the compasses. tom.:cool:

Hyksos
11-06-2012, 15:34

Oh I didn't know that the problem was part of the PM symbol for Pennsylvania. I have seen people identify themselves as past master merely by the showing the square as pictured on the top of the tattoo and tom's avatar.

deputy tom
11-06-2012, 15:47
Oh I didn't know that the problem was part of the PM symbol for Pennsylvania. I have seen people identify themselves as past master merely by the showing the square as pictured on the top of the tattoo and tom's avatar.

No Brother the square is the symbol for the WM. Euclid's problem is for PMs in PA.tom.

Batesmotel
11-06-2012, 16:14
Correct, but it's the curved scale under the compasses. tom.:cool:

I knew that. This is why posting and insomnia don't mix. Thanks.

At least GT is not one of the places I have to give technical advice.

deputy tom
11-07-2012, 06:35
I knew that. This is why posting and insomnia don't mix. Thanks.

At least GT is not one of the places I have to give technical advice.

:cool:

cowboywannabe
11-07-2012, 07:02
What about the stone cutters?

Batesmotel
11-07-2012, 07:48
What about the stone cutters?

:quiet: Today Fox, tomorrow the world.

cowboywannabe
11-07-2012, 07:49
:quiet: Today Fox, tomorrow the world.

:rofl: it was one of my most favorite episodes....

Hyksos
11-14-2012, 20:47
No Brother the square is the symbol for the WM. Euclid's problem is for PMs in PA.tom.

I have seen Past Masters wearing the square as their only lapel pin. These men were not sitting masters, but Past Masters from at least 20+ years ago. I am familiar with the past master's symbol, but I have also seen past masters merely wear a square.

deputy tom
11-15-2012, 06:25
I have seen Past Masters wearing the square as their only lapel pin. These men were not sitting masters, but Past Masters from at least 20+ years ago. I am familiar with the past master's symbol, but I have also seen past masters merely wear a square.

I wore the square during my year but passed it down to the newly installed WM. I don't doubt you but it isn't a normal practice here in PA. tom.