Anybody Kill Anything Yet? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Kill Anything Yet?

Gonzoso
10-03-2012, 20:29
Most places have archery open already, has anyone here killed anything yet?

I just got out for the first time today even though archery opened this past Saturday.

I've been busy with work, trying to sell my bike and life in general so I only got to tune my bow up with the broadheads today.

I also sighted in the crossbow I got off my buddy last year.

I had no intention of hunting but then I got my stuff tuned and I was already where I hunt so smelling of cigarettes, wearing blue jeans and a blue shirt, my smelly old work boots and all I set out.

Walked around for a few hours, the wind was not in my favor until 6:20, 15 minutes before dark. I snuck up on this herd in an open field like a lion in the Serengeti. I got to thirty-five yards away and I shot her right in the ticker with my arrow gun.

I still think my recurve and compound bows are more fun, but this is an an efficient meat harvester.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg292/gonzoso/IMG_1142.jpg
I need to hire a new photographer though!:supergrin:

Peace Warrior
10-03-2012, 20:42
SUUUUHWEET!

Photo's fine.

AK_Stick
10-03-2012, 21:05
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/L1010544.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d127/ak_stick/L1010623.jpg

Shot a 3rd on a friends tag when he failed to connect on his stalk, but aside from the shot, nothing really worth making note of.

Got 2 first time hunters on caribou. Didn't get a moose, but I've still got bear and 5 deer tags to fill, possibly a late season musk ox, or buffalo as well.

HollowHead
10-03-2012, 21:08
Not yet...been too damned hot to pack out. HH

Gonzoso
10-03-2012, 21:09

Shot a 3rd on a friends tag when he failed to connect on his stalk, but aside from the shot, nothing really worth making note of.

Got 2 first time hunters on caribou. Didn't get a moose, but I've still got bear and 5 deer tags to fill, possibly a late season musk ox, or buffalo as well.

Wow those are impressive!

I got a bear tag last year but didn't have much luck.

This year I know where a good place would be but I just bought a new motorcycle so a taxidermy bill isn't in the cards for me.:crying:

For big game all we have in PA are bear and deer, and some elk out west via lottery. Heck I think they even call turkey big game here.:supergrin:

Peace Warrior
10-03-2012, 21:49

Alaska is the BOMB!

NeverMore1701
10-03-2012, 21:53
No archery here, but I'll be going with a rifle in a few weeks for Mulies and Whitetail. Gonna try to bag at least one with my new AR. Grouse after that.

frank4570
10-03-2012, 21:56
Not yet. I really need more hazelnut saplings to make proper arrows.

Hummer
10-04-2012, 00:45
Gonzoso, nice work on the impromptu doe hunt. :wavey: Kind of proves the point about the work just beginning once the animal is down.

AK_Stick, beautiful caribou in beautiful country, I'm envious! Someday I'm going to hunt Alaska.... :reindeer:

I've got a pronghorn doe tag for a season that begins this weekend in NW Colorado. It'll be a quickie meat hunt but good prep for the more rigorous elk, deer & bear season coming in three weeks.

sharpshooter
10-04-2012, 00:55
Rifle season ended several weeks ago out in most of CA! Crazy...

schild
10-04-2012, 04:47
I've shot two raccoons and two skunks in the last week, wasn't good eating though.:rofl:

collim1
10-04-2012, 05:09
I just planted my fields this weekend. Its still hot, humid, and swarming with biting insects down here.

Cant wait though, got a nice buck on the property I didn't get a shot at last year. Hoping to find him this year.

Gonzoso
10-04-2012, 07:13
Rifle season ended several weeks ago out in most of CA! Crazy...

Holy cow! Rifle doesn't start here until the Monday after thanksgiving.

I kinda dread it a bit. I hunt a large private piece of land, only myself and 2 other guys hunt a thousand acres.

Rifle season comes and I "hunt" it but mostly I spend my time keeping off trespassers and poachers.

GreenDrake
10-04-2012, 07:29
Picked up my tags yesterday, got the rifle cleaned up, sighting in this afternoon. Heading up to elk camp in 5 days. Hoping for some meat this year, seems like a late rut so we may be in luck. Either way, going to take a whitetail down as well this year, I hope.

GVFlyer
10-04-2012, 08:03

Very nice. Congrats!

finz50
10-04-2012, 10:26
Got my first bow kill/first buck on Saturday...

maximus1079
10-04-2012, 10:41
I had a beautiful compound bow a few years back but had to sell it (awesome trophy pics by the way!) and am looking to find a good 30-06 for deer hunting up here in New England. Any suggestions anyone?

faceplant
10-04-2012, 10:42
Just gotta couple of lopes in wyo.

Glock20 10mm
10-04-2012, 11:02
Got a blue jay this morning!

Gonzoso
10-04-2012, 11:51
Got my first bow kill/first buck on Saturday...

Congratulations! How did it feel compared to a rifle kill?

Gonzoso
10-04-2012, 11:52
And I'm butchering my deer now. I stabbed myself in my finger already and now there's a thunderstorm. Nothing like butchering a deer on an inclined surface in the pouring rain.:crying:

Peace Warrior
10-04-2012, 12:23
:whistling:And I'm butchering my deer now. I stabbed myself in my finger already and now there's a thunderstorm. Nothing like butchering a deer on an inclined surface in the pouring rain.:crying:
You dang sure can't work in crappy weather conditions like that. :whistling:

havensal
10-04-2012, 12:30
Not yet, but I am taking my Son on his first deer hunt this weekend. 3 day youth rifle hunt, first ever in NY. :cool:

itstime
10-04-2012, 12:40
Nice job there stinky boy! Nice story. Wish you had video of the crawl.

Gonzoso
10-04-2012, 12:57
Nice job there stinky boy! Nice story. Wish you had video of the crawl.

I've read all kinds of reviews of scent free clothing and Field and Stream did a test with a police dog to determine if scent free clothes would slow the dog down in detecting a person and they found the effects of it negligible.

I've also used all kinds of soaps and sprays and detergents and they've not done much for me.

I find just reading the wind, and knowing deer and their mannerisms is the best way.

I still hunt almost always and have been getting better every year. I just keep sneaking and get busted a lot, but getting busted by deer just teaches you how not too. :supergrin:

I really should get a go pro or something, this would have been a great video.

FFR Spyder GT
10-04-2012, 13:14
I almost got a small doe this morning.

If I had only been a little slower hitting the brakes. :upeyes:

Peace Warrior
10-04-2012, 16:22
Not yet, but I am taking my Son on his first deer hunt this weekend. 3 day youth rifle hunt, first ever in NY. :cool:
have fun man. :wavey:

janice6
10-04-2012, 16:28
Anybody Kill Anything Yet?

My wife is still considering her options.

Peace Warrior
10-04-2012, 16:32
This thread has me so ate up about hunting about hunting this year...

As I was at the meat counter I was mentally comparing the pork loins to venison loins as far as size and thickness.

<-- Never worries about eating the rack, so young bucks are fine in my freezer/on my menu.

skeeter1959
10-04-2012, 20:29
Just a bunch of S. Texas doves and a yote. Had some Axis deer sausage tonight. I loves me some axis deer! Going next month on our annual axis doe hunt.

gjk5
10-04-2012, 20:38
going for dove this weekend, mulie at the beginning of Nov and elk mid Nov.

Then down to TX in Jan for hopefully pig and Nilgai

M&P Shooter
10-04-2012, 20:43
I stepped on a water bug in basement down here in Philadelphia. Yeah us Philadelphia city folk can crush a basement bug with one foot faster then you country boys can say "Look Joe Bob is kissing his cousin Daisy Duke again":tongueout:

fusegsp
10-04-2012, 21:03
The Des Moines police did. They shot a mountain lion in the city this morning. That should shut up all the naysayers here in Iowa that think there are no mountain lions here. My Dad said he took 5 or 6 pictures of it at the scene but I haven't seen them yet.

frank4570
10-04-2012, 21:50
My neighbors 13 year old daughter got a VERY big 4 point.

Hummer
10-04-2012, 22:26
Moose season started Monday in Colorado. Moose are everywhere, multiplying like mice, and I can't seem to draw a moose license. Thirteen consecutive years of applying. Thirteen years of the state drawing interest and fees off my $250 annual applications. Might make a guy think he's unlucky.

This past week, moose have been tromping around my cabin, thumbing their moose lips at me. At least one bull, a cow and a calf, chomping my flowers, the elderberries, willows, aspen trees, and just thumbing their moose lips at me. Bubb, bubb, bubb, bubb, bubb, bubb.... Chomp, chomp, chomp, chomp.

Oh, I'm so glad they're eating well. :wavey:

Here's my cousin Dan, chatting up one of the moose in the driveway. Say cheese.....

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Animals/BullMooseDan.jpg

Snaps
10-04-2012, 22:33
not even going out this year, our deer have some kinda disease and while they say people can't get it, it's suggested not to eat deer meat.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/hunting-fishing/outdoors-notebook-deer-disease-continues-to-spread-653604/

Gonzoso
10-04-2012, 22:39
not even going out this year, our deer have some kinda disease and while they say people can't get it, it's suggested not to eat deer meat.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/hunting-fishing/outdoors-notebook-deer-disease-continues-to-spread-653604/

What disease? CWD has not been found in PA.

Clutch Cargo
10-04-2012, 22:43
I was in a blind at my brother-in-law's deer lease and popped a 174 pound boar with a scoped 7.5" Ruger Redhawk. I used a Garrett 310 gr Hammerhead load at 43 yards and the boar dropped where he stood.
I can't walk any distance since my latest back surgery, so I let 'em come to me.:2gun:

Peace Warrior
10-05-2012, 10:57
Moose season started Monday in Colorado. Moose are everywhere, multiplying like mice, and I can't seem to draw a moose license. Thirteen consecutive years of applying. Thirteen years of the state drawing interest and fees off my $250 annual applications. Might make a guy think he's unlucky. ...
Here in Florida, for both the quota hunt areas and the alligator lottery, if you're not picked for a hunting season in the drawing, you get awarded what the FWC refers to as a preference point. These add up over time as long as you keep applying.

With the number of hunters here, guesstimating, each hunter gets picked roughly every three of four years in the hardest hunted areas.

Good luck.

Glock20 10mm
10-05-2012, 11:02
This thread has me so ate up about hunting about hunting this year...

As I was at the meat counter I was mentally comparing the pork loins to venison loins as far as size and thickness.

<-- Never worries about eating the rack, so young bucks are fine in my freezer/on my menu.

I just noticed you are using my sig... that's cool! Thanks!

Peace Warrior
10-05-2012, 11:04
I just noticed you are using my sig... that's cool! Thanks!
YW, it rings true IMO.

Hunting yet?

ETA: Never mind, I forgot, you can hunt 12 months a year where you live. :whistling:

bubba803
10-05-2012, 11:17
What disease? CWD has not been found in PA.

EHD, not chronic wasting.

Hummer
10-05-2012, 11:42
Here in Florida, for both the quota hunt areas and the alligator lottery, if you're not picked for a hunting season in the drawing, you get awarded what the FWC refers to as a preference point. These add up over time as long as you keep applying.

With the number of hunters here, guesstimating, each hunter gets picked roughly every three of four years in the hardest hunted areas.

Good luck.

For moose in CO, the straight line preference points is limited to 3 points, with "weighted points" accumulating thereafter. Not clear how it works but it gives applicants with fewer points a chance at the draw (and so the state can continue bringing in application revenue). I have 3 pref points and 10 weighted points.

After such a long term investment in applying, I'm only interested in a bull tag and those are harder to get. I just hope I get a chance before they put me in a nursing home.

Peace Warrior
10-05-2012, 11:55
For moose in CO, the straight line preference points is limited to 3 points, with "weighted points" accumulating thereafter. Not clear how it works but it gives applicants with fewer points a chance at the draw (and so the state can continue bringing in application revenue). I have 3 pref points and 10 weighted points.

After such a long term investment in applying, I'm only interested in a bull tag and those are harder to get. I just hope I get a chance before they put me in a nursing home.

13 years?!?! It would have been cheaper, in hindsight of course, to crack one as a non-res in another State by now.

I'll say a pray for you/your next hunt pick.

Will you lose the points if you stop applying? If not, stop, they have to let you bag one by now.

finz50
10-05-2012, 15:08
Congratulations! How did it feel compared to a rifle kill?
It was awesome....don't know what was better, going up the climber and having it walk within 7 yards of my stand and not knowing i was there or the actual kill shot at 25 yards vs rifle range....I was jacked regardless!

Hamguy
10-05-2012, 17:02
I killed a spider in the bathtub this morning. Does that count?

deutscheglocker
10-05-2012, 17:48

My 4X2 looked OK to eat.
I haven't archery hunted in 6 yrs. My rotators are shot and I couldn't pull back on even 60 lbs.
A buddy has been on me to buy a crossbow and I was reluctant to spend as much on a crossbow as an AR.
While in Mich. he got me to shoot one at a Cabelas. WOW I was impressed. The salesman asked how I liked it. I said "put it in a box".

Anyway I didn't get out the first Sat as I was still finding archery stuff from years gone by.
I shot about 2 doz bolts at 20 to 40 and that damn thing was money.

I went out last Mon as it was a bit cool and foggy and saw a small buck about 30-35 and angling toward me. I was about 25 ft up. We need 3 points up on one side to be legal (disregarding the brow tine). I thought it was a forkhorn and then thought I saw another small point but just wasn't sure. He walked into a patch of sun and there was that 4th point, small but at an inch, made this guy legal. By that time, he was about 25 out and quartering away. I held a bit high and behind the shoulder a foot. The bolt went through and through exiting the neck just in front of the other shoulder. He reared up and fell on his side, scrambled up, ran down the hill about 40 yds crashing into stuff, then silence.

I went and collected my bolt. The spitfire 100's I took off my compound arrows opened up just like they were supposed to ( I took the 3 bladed ones and left the 2 bladed ones with the Golden Eagle).
I found him about 40 yds away. The rack was just legal and the deer was small ( I would guess about 130 or so) but it was the first archery deer for me in 6 years.
Mon AM is supposed to be cool again ( high 30's) so I'll be back out in the same tree. I have 3 more antlerless tags so hope to score again.

cmb19
10-05-2012, 17:55
I've been obsessing over getting out hunting for months now. I don't hunt archery, although I'm looking into buying a nice, cheap bow to see if I'd like it.

I went out coyote hunting once, hoping to go again Sunday. None came in, but we had them around us, plus a red fox.
I can't wait for squirrel season, it's the most relaxing hunting ever, unfortunately my work schedule is going to screw me over a good bit this year.

I'm looking to spend a ton of money on hunting this year...I'm hoping to get a new rifle for deer season. I hate being poor. :crying:

el_jewapo
10-05-2012, 17:57
Too damn hot and too many mosquitoes. I just don't enjoy hunting in this weather. I'll fight the mosquitoes and heat for fishing, but not deer hunting, I don't know why. Probably just something in the back of my brain with the whole sweating stinking thing and deer smelling me, even though I've killed them in heat while hot and sweaty. I just don't enjoy it.

airmotive
10-05-2012, 18:07
I just set out some ant traps tonight...

Gonzoso
10-05-2012, 18:07
As far as arrow guns(crossbows) being a ton of money, they are new.

But they can be found easily if you're savvy. My Parker Terminator with a red dot site, 24 bolts, quiver, and case cost me 200$ from a guy on craigslist. Shoots great.

The crossbow doesn't really extend the archers range imo. I shoot my bow accurately enough to kill deer out to 50 yards, I only make shots on live deer at 40 though.

The crossbow will go out to 50, but I'd only take it to 40.

The stalk is still the same.

The final shot and kill is just more accurate and sure.

I've got my meat in the freezer now, so I'll be taking out the compound and recurve soon. My goal is to get one with the crossbow, one with the compound, and one with a recurve this year.

A mans gotta have goals!

el_jewapo
10-05-2012, 18:20
The crossbow doesn't really extend the archers range imo. I shoot my bow accurately enough to kill deer out to 50 yards, I only make shots on live deer at 40 though.

The crossbow will go out to 50, but I'd only take it to 40.

Most modern compounds have it all over most modern crossbows in range. I say most because there are a few exceptions like that PSE AR-15 rig and some of the Strykers. The PSE thing is way too long for practical hunting IMO. Not sure about the Strykers, but they're very expensive too.

cmb19
10-07-2012, 21:03
I was going to say I'm sorry for bumping this thread but I'm too excited to care...I got my first coyote tonight!!! :supergrin:

NeverMore1701
10-07-2012, 22:28
I was going to say I'm sorry for bumping this thread but I'm too excited to care...I got my first coyote tonight!!! :supergrin:

Nice! I saw a big 'yote yesterday, would have been a perfect shot if I wasn't in a Nat'l Park! Bastard was only about 150 yards away, didn't give a **** we were coming up on him!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/302617_10101078007306678_1993857178_n.jpg

mike g35
10-08-2012, 03:24
Most places have archery open already, has anyone here killed anything yet?

I just got out for the first time today even though archery opened this past Saturday.

I've been busy with work, trying to sell my bike and life in general so I only got to tune my bow up with the broadheads today.

I also sighted in the crossbow I got off my buddy last year.

I had no intention of hunting but then I got my stuff tuned and I was already where I hunt so smelling of cigarettes, wearing blue jeans and a blue shirt, my smelly old work boots and all I set out.

Walked around for a few hours, the wind was not in my favor until 6:20, 15 minutes before dark. I snuck up on this herd in an open field like a lion in the Serengeti. I got to thirty-five yards away and I shot her right in the ticker with my arrow gun.

I still think my recurve and compound bows are more fun, but this is an an efficient meat harvester.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg292/gonzoso/IMG_1142.jpg
I need to hire a new photographer though!:supergrin:

Here is an LOL story for you. One of my coworkers at Cabelas came in last week and asked me to go with him after work to help "blood trail and drag" a doe he made a bad hit in earlier in the day. We went our, tracked the deer and sure enough 100 or so yards away the deer was laying, unable to move yet still alive. He looks at me and says "I left my bow in the truck, what now?". I drew my knife and long story short SLICE and there goes the deers throat. I looked back as I waited a minute for the deer to expire and he was upset, tears in his eyes and looking kind of sick. So I told him "here, take my knife and field dress it". He then Informed me this was his first kill and he didn't know how. I told him I would help him and teach him how. Long story short he didn't make it through it, we'll his lunch didn't anyway. A gut shot deer field dressing job does stink quite a bit but watching this "hunter" puke and cry just struck me as hilarious.LOL :rofl:
Some people just aren't prepared for what happens after the shot.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Tvov
10-08-2012, 04:44
Son and I have been up a couple times to Vermont for bear, but haven't gotten anything yet. Will be trying again in two weeks. There is a lot of bear sign where we hunt, but we are very new at hunting, so the bears are probably watching us the whole time.... On opening day of bear season, we walked into the woods, set up to sit, and shortly thereafter heard a shot from not too far away. I was betting we had pushed a bear into another hunter!

Gonzoso
10-08-2012, 06:19
Here is an LOL story for you. One of my coworkers at Cabelas came in last week and asked me to go with him after work to help "blood trail and drag" a doe he made a bad hit in earlier in the day. We went our, tracked the deer and sure enough 100 or so yards away the deer was laying, unable to move yet still alive. He looks at me and says "I left my bow in the truck, what now?". I drew my knife and long story short SLICE and there goes the deers throat. I looked back as I waited a minute for the deer to expire and he was upset, tears in his eyes and looking kind of sick. So I told him "here, take my knife and field dress it". He then Informed me this was his first kill and he didn't know how. I told him I would help him and teach him how. Long story short he didn't make it through it, we'll his lunch didn't anyway. A gut shot deer field dressing job does stink quite a bit but watching this "hunter" puke and cry just struck me as hilarious.LOL :rofl:

Some folks aren't used to it, I think for most of us we started small. The first thing I gutted was a squirrel. Not too big of a deal, then I did trout and bass and birds, soon enough I was gutting deer when I shot my first at 16.

The ones with a hole in the gut sure smell bad.

This year something happened where I punctured the gut. When I shot the deer had just seen/winded me so it was alert, I think it might have jumped the string and turned a bit as when I fired it was perfectly sideways. I hit the vitals:
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg292/gonzoso/arrowhole.jpg
But the arrow went back and put a hole in the gut. It smelled terrible. Deer never smelled that bad to me before.

Even a good shot can get weird sometimes.

cmb19
10-08-2012, 06:59
Nice! I saw a big 'yote yesterday, would have been a perfect shot if I wasn't in a Nat'l Park! Bastard was only about 150 yards away, didn't give a **** we were coming up on him!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/302617_10101078007306678_1993857178_n.jpg

Mine was just a little one, my brother thought probably 25lbs. Definitely a pup from this year. We heard a bunch more but they were really far away. Can't wait for next time...hopefully I've convinced my brother to go every Sunday and every other possible day. :supergrin:

NeverMore1701
10-08-2012, 11:52
Mine was just a little one, my brother thought probably 25lbs. Definitely a pup from this year. We heard a bunch more but they were really far away. Can't wait for next time...hopefully I've convinced my brother to go every Sunday and every other possible day. :supergrin:

Had a TON of pups out on the ranch this year, got a few of 'em with my .22. Had to run up on 'em on the ATVs to go in .22 range, then try to stop, take a few shots, and move on to the next one. Never done anything like it before, was pretty fun, and we got rid of some of the little pests.

KingWalleye
10-08-2012, 15:31
Shot a doe with my bow last Tuesday. Its nice vetting one early in the season. No pressure for the rest of the long season.

Jonesee
10-08-2012, 20:18
Heading to Oklahoma a week from Saturday for bow hunting.
Talked to family there today and they said the weather is perfect.

NeverMore1701
10-08-2012, 20:24
Well, technically, yes:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/341392_10101078006563168_1961650189_o.jpg

Hummer
10-08-2012, 22:13
I've got a pronghorn doe tag for a season that begins this weekend in NW Colorado. It'll be a quickie meat hunt but good prep for the more rigorous elk, deer & bear season coming in three weeks.

This morning I got up at 3 a.m. and drove to the grasslands of NW Colorado to hunt for pronghorn. Went through some beautiful country on the way and watched several herds of elk and deer. The area I hunt pronghorn is a patchwork of private and public land, so one has to study the maps carefully to stay on public ground. It was 3 days after the season opener and there were no other hunters around. Pretty soon I spotted four animals moving about a half mile away. I drove on another half mile and planned a stalk to head them off, walking down a gulch, then up over a hill.

The animals had bedded down about where I expected them to be. Pronghorn are very wary, able to detect movement at great distance. I crawled on my belly about 90 yards until I could barely see them from a prone position. Four does were positioned so each was looking in a different direction. Suddenly, two were looking in my direction and I knew it was time. I shot the biggest doe in it's bed at 210 yards. The 180 grain .30-06 Nosler Partition broke the shoulder and clipped the heart. She got up and ran with the others about 70 yards, then collapsed. It was 8:02 a.m. I'd been hunting for 30 minutes. Oh, well.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/Hunting/2012-Pronghorn.jpg

The quarter mile drag to the road was an easy one. The location was about a half mile from where I'd taken a Pronghorn buck last year (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1374111&highlight=2011+pronghorn). That hunt was a little more involved for a one day hunt, but also more rewarding.

On the way home I drove up the beautiful Williams Fork River, up Ripple Creek Pass, and onto my elk camp outside Buford near the FlatTops Wilderness. The combined elk, deer, bear season begins in less than two weeks. I can hardly wait. :wavey:

AK_Stick
10-08-2012, 22:59
Nice! But I think I'd shoot 300 yds before I crawled 90, for a 210 yd shot!

NeverMore1701
10-08-2012, 23:04

Same here!

Gonzoso
10-08-2012, 23:37

For me the best part of hunting is stalking an animal.

Using woods skills, being quiet, reading the wind and knowing the animal are crucial.

I've shot deer and stuff with a rifle, and it was enjoyable.

However nothing compares to being 15 yards from a large animal and it not knowing you're there. Moving so slowly every muscle in your body is quivering and aching, and knowing that the smallest noise or visible movement will spook the animal.

Waiting for it to duck down to eat or its head to go behind a tree as your heart is pounding in your head. Then getting that split second to draw the bow, knowing that this is it, no second chances...

This is what hunting is to me.

AK_Stick
10-08-2012, 23:47
For me the best part of hunting is stalking an animal.

Using woods skills, being quiet, reading the wind and knowing the animal are crucial.

I've shot deer and stuff with a rifle, and it was enjoyable.

However nothing compares to being 15 yards from a large animal and it not knowing you're there. Moving so slowly every muscle in your body is quivering and aching, and knowing that the smallest noise or visible movement will spook the animal.

Waiting for it to duck down to eat or its head to go behind a tree as your heart is pounding in your head. Then getting that split second to draw the bow, knowing that this is it, no second chances...

This is what hunting is to me.

I enjoy stalking/fieldcraft too. Both of my caribou this year were taken at less than 30 ft.

But low crawling 90 yds, for a 210 yd shot, isn't really what I'd call fieldcraft. I'll just shoot 300 yds.

Hummer
10-09-2012, 07:17
It would have been an offhand shot at an animal that was bedded down. While I'm a pretty competent offhand shooter, I would have had to expose more of my body to do it. Also, I needed to carefully glass the animals to make sure I didn't shoot a buck. Notice the doe had 4" horns.

Pronghorn are much more skittish than deer, elk or caribou, they will get up and bolt at the slightest movement. Then, I would have been walking the prairie again instead of dressing game. The belly crawl worked (and there weren't any cactus or rattlesnakes along the way). :cowboy:

Peace Warrior
10-11-2012, 02:38
This morning I got up at 3 a.m. and drove to the grasslands of NW Colorado to hunt for pronghorn. Went through some beautiful country on the way and watched several herds of elk and deer. The area I hunt pronghorn is a patchwork of private and public land, so one has to study the maps carefully to stay on public ground. It was 3 days after the season opener and there were no other hunters around. Pretty soon I spotted four animals moving about a half mile away. I drove on another half mile and planned a stalk to head them off, walking down a gulch, then up over a hill.

The animals had bedded down about where I expected them to be. Pronghorn are very wary, able to detect movement at great distance. I crawled on my belly about 90 yards until I could barely see them from a prone position. Four does were positioned so each was looking in a different direction. Suddenly, two were looking in my direction and I knew it was time. I shot the biggest doe in it's bed at 210 yards. The 180 grain .30-06 Nosler Partition broke the shoulder and clipped the heart. She got up and ran with the others about 70 yards, then collapsed. It was 8:02 a.m. I'd been hunting for 30 minutes. Oh, well.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/Hunting/2012-Pronghorn.jpg

The quarter mile drag to the road was an easy one. The location was about a half mile from where I'd taken a Pronghorn buck last year (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1374111&highlight=2011+pronghorn). That hunt was a little more involved for a one day hunt, but also more rewarding.

On the way home I drove up the beautiful Williams Fork River, up Ripple Creek Pass, and onto my elk camp outside Buford near the FlatTops Wilderness. The combined elk, deer, bear season begins in less than two weeks. I can hardly wait. :wavey:
SUHWEEEEEET!

(The orange thing on the left-front leg, is that the tag for your area?)

Peace Warrior
10-11-2012, 02:46

My first time was three or four rabbits my uncle and oldest brother took out of a local farmer's field. I was keen on the hunting, and very good noticing rabbits, but when my uncle had me butchering them out back where they burned the trash (back then, they're not allowed to now), I almost lost my lunch a few times.

They used shotguns and the shotgun pellets/bb's/shot will oft times penetrate the belly/intestines/etcetera. I had cleaned hundreds of fish beforehand, so the blood and guts didn't get to me, but that smell, I mean for the first time... UGH!

Long story short, my aunt and uncle cooked 'em up and they were dang good eatin' though! :supergrin:

Mike, that was over 40 years ago counting from this year, so thanks for the trip down Nostalgic Lane. :wavey:

Hummer
10-12-2012, 18:16
SUHWEEEEEET!

(The orange thing on the left-front leg, is that the tag for your area?)

Yes, that's the carcass tag which has to be signed, punched and attached to the animal immediately after the kill. It's tied with orange baling twine. I always carry about 50 yards of baling twine while hunting. It's cheap, compact, lightweight, and strong enough to drag a deer or goat down the mountain or across the prairie. For big heavy game like elk, it is invaluable for tying back the legs for field dressing, or keep a beast from sliding down mountain. Baling twine can save the day when you have to maneuver and prepare a 400-500 lb. animal by yourself.

Last year's bull rolled down a slope and piled up against some oak brush where it was impossible for me to move him. Eventually I got his legs tied back to nearby shrubs so he could be field dressed, skinned and cut up for packout.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/Hunting/Hummers2011Elk.jpg

Elk are big animals, too big for most men to move more than a few feet. There's no dragging an elk back to camp, even with a horse.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/Hunting/2009elk.jpg

Neatly held with baling twine, this one at least fell on level ground....

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/2006-elk-work-begins-1.jpg

I got 'er cut up ready to pack out the next morning, but a bear chomped on much of the back straps by the time I arrived the next morning....

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/2006-elk-feedinthebear.jpg

A bear also ate part of my 2010 elk. I had cut it up into 7 pieces ready to pack out and laid them out on the snow for a morning packout. I tried to foil a bear by tying all the pieces together with baling twine to make it harder to carry away. It worked! The bear dragged a leg and all the pieces followed but the tied parts kept him from getting away with anything but the unsecured liver.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/Hunting/Hummers2010Elk.jpg

Can you tell I like hunting elk?

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/Hunting/Hummers2005Elk720x.jpg

My 2012 elk hunt begins in one week, wish me luck.

Zonny
10-12-2012, 18:33
Freezer pets.

byf43
10-12-2012, 18:34
My son and I have access to a friend's farm, about 20 miles south of here. (About 30 acres.)

My son shot a nice 6 pt whitetail 3 weeks ago.
Complete pass-through.
The buck went across one of the fences, and he heard a shot.

The buck was recovered by the Amish guy that lives on that farm.
He had shot the buck w/ a .50 caliber flintlock on his property.

TK-421
10-12-2012, 18:40
Man, I wish I could go hunting, but I don't have the equipment, the knowledge, or anybody to show me how. Would love to eat more meats other than domesticated cow, pig, and chicken. I've had deer before and loved it, but that was only once. Always wanted to try buffalo, elk, moose, caribou, reindeer, and to eat more deer. I just don't know anything about hunting, and would prefer to go with an experienced person my first few times.

deutscheglocker
10-12-2012, 18:48
Tomorrow AM is supposed to be about 30 and clear (SW PA).

I'll be out hoping to take a doe with my arrow gun.

Maybe the muzzle loaders will push something past me.

Reyn
10-12-2012, 18:54
We don't open til the 15th. I've seen some big ones killed in Kentucky this year.

econjon
10-12-2012, 19:01
My 2012 elk hunt begins in one week, wish me luck.

Good luck! I'm in the middle of a spike elk hunt in Utah and have a cow hunt coming up in January with the general deer hunt starting next week. Love this time of year!

Tvov
10-12-2012, 19:54
Man, I wish I could go hunting, but I don't have the equipment, the knowledge, or anybody to show me how. Would love to eat more meats other than domesticated cow, pig, and chicken. I've had deer before and loved it, but that was only once. Always wanted to try buffalo, elk, moose, caribou, reindeer, and to eat more deer. I just don't know anything about hunting, and would prefer to go with an experienced person my first few times.

A thread I started last year about wanting to hunt:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276981

Scroll down a few posts on that thread, and read the one that bustedknee made.

I didn't start hunting until I was 46 years old, which was last year. Find out if you need a hunting license where you are, and make arrangements to get one. Many sporting goods / gun stores can point you in the right direction. I found that most hunters do not want to take a "newbie" out. Talk to hunters, ask questions, but don't be pushy. You'll get your opportunity.

Peace Warrior
10-12-2012, 21:38
:woohoo:

I hate 'yotes! :steamed:

Snaps
10-12-2012, 21:39
now today it got worse, we now have the wasting disease as well

TK-421
10-12-2012, 22:27
A thread I started last year about wanting to hunt:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1276981

Scroll down a few posts on that thread, and read the one that bustedknee made.

I didn't start hunting until I was 46 years old, which was last year. Find out if you need a hunting license where you are, and make arrangements to get one. Many sporting goods / gun stores can point you in the right direction. I found that most hunters do not want to take a "newbie" out. Talk to hunters, ask questions, but don't be pushy. You'll get your opportunity.

Thanks, that thread was really helpful. I figure it will be a few years before I try hunting though. I need to become competent shooting paper targets with my pistol, before I try shooting a live animal with a rifle.

I can understand why most hunters don't want to take newbies out, it's most likely because newbies generally have no idea what to do, will get bored easily, will try and be chatty to pass the time, and will probably forget to turn their cell phone off. :rofl:

My main concern isn't really having to do with shooting the animal though, that part is relatively easy. The part I'm concerned about is what to do after I kill the animal, how to get out of the woods and get it to someone who can skin it. I honestly doubt I'd be a good hunter, because I have no idea how to field dress an animal. And while this is generally me around blood, :faint:, from what I've seen on TV, it's not as bad as I think. Granted, TV doesn't let you hear the sounds of a dying animal, smell the flesh and blood, or hear the knife cutting through the flesh and letting all the guts spill out. But that's what I'd have someone else there for, let them do all the nasty, bloody work. :supergrin:

Hummer
10-12-2012, 22:28
Good luck! I'm in the middle of a spike elk hunt in Utah and have a cow hunt coming up in January with the general deer hunt starting next week. Love this time of year!

And, good luck to you. Hope you find that spike bull. You're probably getting some of the rain we're seeing here, and maybe snow. The higher elevations could get 4-8 inches of the white stuff tonight. The moisture will wet and and quiet the forest. Should be a good start for the first rifle elk season starting here tomorrow.

HollowHead
10-12-2012, 22:37
Antlered elk opens Monday morning and it's still in the seventies here. The idea of draping a few quarters for four hours on a sweaty horse in the seventies is not making me happy. HH

Tvov
10-13-2012, 06:22
"TK-421"

Wait just a minute... I just realized why your name was bugging me! That is the identification code for the stormtrooper who was supposed to be guarding the Millennium Falcon on the Death Star! :cool:

cmb19
10-13-2012, 12:36
:woohoo:

I hate 'yotes! :steamed:

You and me both, but at the same time I think they're awesome.
I was gonna post the picture I have, but it's me and my brother and I figure he doesn't want to be on GT. :supergrin:

I went out squirrel hunting today..saw tons of reds and a few greys. I didn't bother shooting at the reds and the greys were racing all over, so no squirrels for me. I did see a little 4 point and a bear though.

TK-421
10-13-2012, 13:11
"TK-421"

Wait just a minute... I just realized why your name was bugging me! That is the identification code for the stormtrooper who was supposed to be guarding the Millennium Falcon on the Death Star! :cool:

I'll give you an internet cookie if you can tell me who donned his outfit, and two internet cookies if you can tell me the designation of the second stormtrooper that was also guarding the Millennium Falcon. :tongueout:

Tvov
10-13-2012, 14:06
I'll give you an internet cookie if you can tell me who donned his outfit, and two internet cookies if you can tell me the designation of the second stormtrooper that was also guarding the Millennium Falcon. :tongueout:

Luke had the outfit on (he came running up later to the control room telling Han and Chewy to stop making so much noise)...

You got me on the second guy. I will have to go back and watch that again... I don't remember hearing the second guys number. I just remember Luke saying: "hey you down there, will you come up and give us a hand?"

Whoa, sorry, geeking out there for a moment!

TK-421
10-13-2012, 14:16
The designation of the second stormtrooper, who's armor was donned by Han, was TK-422.

filthy infidel
10-13-2012, 15:03
Well after chasing a neighbor who asked me to join a lease last year (day after Thanksgiving when a member backed out) I found out that that $400 went down the tubes- no deer, and the lease was lost....
Working late now to land a place to hunt this season. I see many deer on the mountainbike almost every time I ride, too bad I can't bag 'em in a park!

Tvov
10-13-2012, 15:50
The designation of the second stormtrooper, who's armor was donned by Han, was TK-422.

That was so obvious, I decided to not even guess that one...:cool:

Okay, sorry, back to the thread!

Hummer
10-29-2012, 12:56
Just returned from the mountains where I took a nice 6x6 bull elk after some tracking and lengthy stalk. The shot was at 59 yards with a 200 grain Nosler Partition handload. The rifle is a Winchester model 54 in .30-06, with a 4x Leupold Alaskan scope. This was my 24th elk in 27 years of solo hunting in the national forest of western Colorado.

Shot it Saturday, packed it out yesterday. In a few days, I'll post the whole story and more pics in the GT hunting forum but for now, I've got some meat cutting to do. :wavey:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/Hunting/2012-Hummers-6x6BullElk.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/Hunting/2012-HummersElk-Oct-27.jpg

Hauptmann6
10-29-2012, 15:28
Granted, TV doesn't let you hear the sounds of a dying animal, smell the flesh and blood, or hear the knife cutting through the flesh and letting all the guts spill out. But that's what I'd have someone else there for, let them do all the nasty, bloody work. :supergrin:

Honestly I've never heard one die. You just have to be sure before you pull the trigger. And gutting isn't that much different than cleaning a chicken at home. But less nasty. lol Pick up some long sleeve rubber gloves and you are all set.

But whatever you do, don't listen to the guys who tell you just to shove your knife all the way in. lol then it gets stinky. If you just make a small slice to get in, then run the knife with your fingers to open it up, it's fine.

Peace Warrior
11-11-2012, 06:49
You and me both, but at the same time I think they're awesome.
I was gonna post the picture I have, but it's me and my brother and I figure he doesn't want to be on GT. :supergrin:

I went out squirrel hunting today..saw tons of reds and a few greys. I didn't bother shooting at the reds and the greys were racing all over, so no squirrels for me. I did see a little 4 point and a bear though.
Hunting 'yotes or squirrels?

(btw- One of my brothers used to be married to a PA girl that could make some great squirrel pot pie. She made it worth ALL the trouble to clean the little tree-rats.)

Combatcomm
11-11-2012, 12:33
Just returned from the mountains where I took a nice 6x6 bull elk after some tracking and lengthy stalk. The shot was at 59 yards with a 200 grain Nosler Partition handload. The rifle is a Winchester model 54 in .30-06, with a 4x Leupold Alaskan scope. This was my 24th elk in 27 years of solo hunting in the national forest of western Colorado.

Shot it Saturday, packed it out yesterday. In a few days, I'll post the whole story and more pics in the GT hunting forum but for now, I've got some meat cutting to do. :wavey:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/Hunting/2012-Hummers-6x6BullElk.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g292/COHummer/Guns/Hunting/2012-HummersElk-Oct-27.jpg

Wow makes the little doe I shot today and came to brag about look like nothing.....:crying:

Hummer
11-11-2012, 13:35
Wow makes the little doe I shot today and came to brag about look like nothing.....:crying:
Hey, there's nothing wrong with hunting does, the steaks taste as good, sometimes they make for a challenging hunt, and success is still success, so post away (and include pics or it didn't happen :tongueout:).

It's about the hunting experience and the stories we like to read and learn from. I didn't happen to have a shooting opportunity at a deer all season and didn't fill my tag. But, I did post a picture of a doe I got on page 3 of this thread.

Yea, got lucky on the bull elk but part of the reality is wrestling a 600 lb. carcass by yourself and reaching up to your neck inside the chest cavity to field dress it. Every hunter ought to have that experience. :supergrin:

P.S.: Congrats on the deer! :wavey:

cmb19
11-11-2012, 13:38
Hunting 'yotes or squirrels?

What do you mean by this? For the picture? The pic is me and my brother with the coyote I got, the rest of that comment was talking about squirrel hunting.

I've never had squirrel pot pie, but if I ever get out hunting again this season, I might just have to attempt it...sounds yummy.

NeverMore1701
11-11-2012, 13:53
Two weeks to go....

Gixxerjoe04
11-11-2012, 14:08
Here's my first bow kill and buck I took back in September. Sitting in my blind right now with my 30-06 waiting for a doe to show up. Could of had an even better buck yesterday morning but there's a one buck rule here so I just hope he makes it until next year.
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g176/gixxerjoe04/buckk.jpg

cmb19
12-01-2012, 18:59
I'm bumping this again....I got my very first deer today! Just a doe, but it's meat so I'm more than thrilled.

Old deer, not sure she would have had an easy winter, absolutely no fat on her and she was pretty thin. I got her with a good shot...she was walking straight at me, I was worried she wouldn't give me a shot broadside. She got really close before she turned, which is good because I refuse to shoot straight on, I'm not comfortable with that.
After I shot, I watched her run and go down. I literally thought she was going to run me over. :rofl:

She was full of milk too. :dunno:

deutscheglocker
12-01-2012, 19:34
OK, I think I posted earlier that I was lucky enough to get a small 4X2 buck and a doe a few weeks back in archery season. I had gotten my very first crossbow and I was highly impressed.

Today I shot a doe with my trusty old $139 Remington 760 pump gun in 30.06.
I hunted the morning in some really thick stuff with my Ruger Redhawk in my hand but spooked a single doe when I stood up to stretch. I holstered the pistol after lunch, moved to another spot and was standing with the rifle when I looked up at 3 doe looking at me 10 to 12 yds away.
We eyeballed for almost a min and I knew they were gone shortly so I pressed the safety off and shouldered the rifle as they broke. 2 ran back and away. The lead doe bolted forward in front of me and ran into a 150gr Nosler Ballistic tip that balled her up. She ended up 20 yds from me. That is the closest shot I ever made on well over 40 deer.
That's all the freezer space I have so I'm done for this season.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/poofy27/Shooting%20hunting%20pics/1354405531.jpg