Question on furnace for HVAC guys. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question on furnace for HVAC guys.

GreenDrake
10-04-2012, 07:23
So this happens to everyone at some point. First cold night where the furnace needed to kick on for the year, I hear the furnace try to start up, it has worked with the AC so I know the blower is working.

I hear it try to click the igniter to fire the furnace up...nothing. Just a click. So I think it is the igniter and I take it out, sand it down a bit and replace it....still nothing.

What's a good troubleshoot for this? or is it just an old igniter rod that needs replaced? Can these rods lose that spark after a few years of sanding them off? Not sure where to start. It's about a 12 year old Frigidaire furnace.

Gareth68
10-04-2012, 07:33
I am not an HVAC guy.

That out of the way, why do you think it is spark and not fuel?

You need to confirm what the issue is.

Is it getting fuel?

If yes, then sure look at the ignition side.

What is the fuel source?

Oil? Gas?

GreenDrake
10-04-2012, 07:34
Gas furnace

GreenDrake
10-04-2012, 08:22
Go figure, the one part a neighbor gave me years ago...I found it. Ceramic igniter was done, replaced it and it fired up...waiting on the blower to kick in and I should be good to go. Newfound respect for HVAC guys' knees and thighs, that's a workout to squat like that in those little areas.

GreenDrake
10-04-2012, 08:32
Can't get the blower to turn on, circ or on mode, seems like two problems in one.

wlkjr
10-04-2012, 09:51
Do you have a circuit board with flashing lights. If so, the number of flashes equate to a code that will give you some hints. Moisture is the enemy sparking units, especially if it's an outside unit. Use a hair dryer to dry out the moisture for about 5 minutes. Be sure there is no gas leak though.
There is a purge fan that comes on first to purge the unit of any type gas. That is to keep it from exploding if there is a leak. Sometimes insects built nests or webs in the vents and that can prevent proper operation.

Dennis in MA
10-04-2012, 10:00
My furnace at the lake - when coming on for the first time in several hours - will turn on about 5x before the circulating blower kicks in. I've been told "that's normal" but I'm not buying it.

GreenDrake
10-04-2012, 11:39
Figured it out, there was a loose crimp on the blower wire as I backtraced the issue. re-wired it and she kicked on. Thanks for the help guys. I thought it was that stainless post that fires off to kick the flame up, happened to be the actual ceramic igniter that had a break in it. All good.