Flooring question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Flooring question

gwalchmai
10-04-2012, 07:32
We're (again) looking into redoing our floors. I had a gal out to do an estimate last Friday. She gave us an estimate for the downstairs and said she'd email the one for upstairs to us on Monday. So far no sign of it. I know she has our phone and email info because she's used it. Is this sort of lack of follow-through common and acceptable in you guy's experience, and would you do business with someone who failed this way?

Another question, the estimate she gave us notes that a 50% deposit is required up front. I think this is unacceptable. I might go 10%. Am I out of line?

Thanks!

Dennis in MA
10-04-2012, 07:34
Let me run some calculations and get back to you later. I'll email or call you.

50% deposit? Wood floors? Probably reasonable. Wood is expensive. Just make sure it's delivered to your home directly. That's how we did it. . . 10 yrs or so ago.

M&P15T
10-04-2012, 07:38
We're (again) looking into redoing our floors. I had a gal out to do an estimate last Friday. She gave us an estimate for the downstairs and said she'd email the one for upstairs to us on Monday. So far no sign of it. I know she has our phone and email info because she's used it. Is this sort of lack of follow-through common and acceptable in you guy's experience, and would you do business with someone who failed this way?

Another question, the estimate she gave us notes that a 50% deposit is required up front. I think this is unacceptable. I might go 10%. Am I out of line?

Thanks!

Way too long for the upstairs price (not estimate). It's important that you get a price, not an estimate. Estimates go hand in hand with change orders (more money, more time), and you don't want that. And a clear contract, that explains precisely what is going to be done, when, and for how much.

50% deposit is pretty standard. They have to front mucho costs in materials and labor, and they're protecting themselves from customers that decide they're not going to pay after the job is done. Trust me, I've heard of that happening, and with any decently smart business owners, it only happens once before they get good money upfront from then on.

What sort of flooring are you getting? Any sub-floor work necessary?

I just noticed you wrote "again" when mentioning getting numbers for getting your floors done. How many times have you had someone out to give you a cost for the work?

RedTop
10-04-2012, 07:48
Way too long for the upstairs price (not estimate). It's important that you get a price, not an estimate. Estimates go hand in hand with change orders (more money, more time), and you don't want that. And a clear contract, that explains precisely what is going to be done, when, and for how much.

50% deposit is pretty standard. They have to front mucho costs in materials and labor, and they're protecting themselves from customers that decide they're not going to pay after the job is done. Trust me, I've heard of that happening, and with any decently smart business owners, it only happens once before they get good money upfront from then on.

What sort of flooring are you getting? Any sub-floor work necessary?

I just noticed you wrote "again" when mentioning getting numbers for getting your floors done. How many times have you had someone out to give you a cost for the work?

If itís a standard brick and mortar shop youíre getting an estimate from then 50% is too high. 20% max has been my experience.

I agree with everything else you said. Need a little more info, OP.

M&P15T
10-04-2012, 07:53
If it’s a standard brick and mortar shop you’re getting an estimate from then 50% is too high. 20% max has been my experience.

I agree with everything else you said. Need a little more info, OP.

I've been in the home improvement business for decades. 1/2 materials and 1/3rd labor is usually what is due at signing. This company asking for 50% is entirely reasonable. The most important thing the OP can do, is to check their rating with the BBB, and be sure he has a very, very clear contract.

Perhaps 20% is a Georgia thing, maybe something to do with your state laws protecting consumers.

OP, what kind of company?

Sharkey
10-04-2012, 08:02
Yeah the deposit isn't out of line. They should get back to you quickly. Ours gave us the price at the time they measured the floors. We pulled all our carpet and have tile in the wet areas and Vinyl planking everywhere else. We're happy.

RedTop
10-04-2012, 08:09
It has been 15 years since I sold floor covering so maybe things have changed.

gwalchmai
10-04-2012, 08:14
I've been in the home improvement business for decades. 1/2 materials and 1/3rd labor is usually what is due at signing. This company asking for 50% is entirely reasonable. The more important thing the OP can so is to check their rating with the BBB, and be sure he has a very, very clear contract.

Perhaps 20% is a Georgia thing, maybe something to do with your state laws protecting consumers.

OP, what kind of company?It's a brick & mortar flooring store.

We have a den and three bedrooms that we'll probably put carpet in, then a hallway, master BR, and stairs that we'll probably do in hardwood.

These guys are good in BBB and Angie's List.

davew83
10-04-2012, 08:14
As a contractor who has been screwed over more than a few times, 100% of parts and materials is due up front, labor down payment is negotiable and depends on the job, customer, etc...

M&P15T
10-04-2012, 08:19
It's a brick & mortar flooring store.

We have a den and three bedrooms that we'll probably put carpet in, then a hallway, master BR, and stairs that we'll probably do in hardwood.

These guys are good in BBB and Angie's List.

Then I wouldn't sweat the 50%, you'd do the same if it was your company.

Just make sure you have a very, very clear contract on what is going to happen, exactly what materials are going to be used, and when it will happen/how long it will take. If the company is good, their contract will already cover those contractual bases.

Big Bird
10-04-2012, 14:53
Look in the yellow pages and find the local wholesale hardwood flooring supply. Stop by and ask the guy at the city sales desk for some referrals for the contractors that do good work. Look up those referrals on Angie's list.

I just did that after my old hardwood flooring guy fell through. The guy I picked came by on time for the estimate and a week later he had a crew here to do the work. They finished in three days, did great work, and cleaned up their mess. He came by at least once a day while they were doing their work to check on things and closed out the job.

No money up front--but this was all refinish work.

In my experience the hardwood flooring guys here will ask you to front the material cost and recommend that the flooring sit in your home for a 2 weeks to a month before its installed to adjust to the humidity of the house.