Report: Zimmerman to sue NBC over 911 tape [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Report: Zimmerman to sue NBC over 911 tape

DOC44
10-04-2012, 11:32
Report: Zimmerman to sue NBC over 911 tape

NEW YORK, Oct. 4 (UPI) -- Lawyers for George Zimmerman will sue NBC News over editing of his 911 call to police after he shot Trayvon Martin in Florida, the New York Post reported.

Steve Capus, NBC news president, and correspondent Ron Allen, who was the network's "Today" show reporter covering the shooting in Sanford, Fla., will be named in the complaint, the newspaper said Thursday.

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2012/10/04/Report-Zimmerman-to-sue-NBC-over-911-tape/UPI-88371349370925/?spt=hs&or=tn

Doc44

JFrame
10-04-2012, 11:33
That was a long time coming...

I guess they wanted to make sure they had built a solid case first...

nursetim
10-04-2012, 11:41
Good, hit the MSM where it hurts.

GAFinch
10-04-2012, 11:42
If he sets up a legal fund online again, I'll chip in.

ICARRY2
10-04-2012, 11:46
Good! Zimmerman needs to go on offense and start hitting back hard.

janice6
10-04-2012, 11:50
Good...

"Reporting the news" should be just that, facts and not created stories. I hope they get their ass handed to them.

Not for just this story distortion, but for all the disguised opinion pieces, claimed to be news based on fact, when in reality they are made up fiction to influence viewers/readers rather than to inform them.

No funny comments, no innuendos, no lies.....Just the facts as they are known. That is news.

News reporters are now actors, not reporters.

JBnTX
10-04-2012, 11:54
Good! Zimmerman needs to go on offense and start hitting back hard.

Zimmerman's lawyer needs to get aggressive and muddy the water so bad that nobody knows which way is up.

Gundude
10-04-2012, 12:13
Good...

"Reporting the news" should be just that, facts and not created stories. I hope they get their ass handed to them.

Not for just this story distortion, but for all the disguised opinion pieces, claimed to be news based on fact, when in reality they are made up fiction to influence viewers/readers rather than to inform them.

No funny comments, no innuendos, no lies.....Just the facts as they are known. That is news.

News reporters are now actors, not reporters.As was discussed in another thread, there is no legal recourse for all the rest of that stuff. There is no legal distinction between acting and reporting, between fiction and nonfiction, between information and entertainment.

Zimmerman can sue because of the specific act of omitting certain words to make it sound like he said something different than what he said. That's a very far cry from suing over "opinion disguised as fact". There is absolutely nothing illegal about the latter. The sooner people realize that and stop trusting these "news" outlets, the better.

Gundude
10-04-2012, 12:21
If he sets up a legal fund online again, I'll chip in.So his lawyers can get money from you and from NBC? You must really like lawyers.

sbhaven
10-04-2012, 12:21
News reporters are now actors, not reporters.
News reporters are not so much actors, as they are entertainers.

JFrame
10-04-2012, 12:23
News reporters are not so much actors, as they are entertainers.

...And propagandists...

sbhaven
10-04-2012, 12:29
...And propagandists...

That too.
:rofl:

Gundude
10-04-2012, 12:30
...And propagandists...

.Mostly entertainers. News pieces are scripted, directed, produced just like movies are, except obviously on a much smaller scale. Those script writers, directors and producers then put those pieces in their portfolios, which they use to advance their careers, preferably into the big leagues of Hollywood.

The more entertaining or controversial or heartwarming or tearjerking a piece is, the more likely it can advance somebody's career.

That's the thinking that goes into creating "news" stories. Facts fit nowhere into that equation (ETA: except as far as to avoid libel suits, which the guys in this story went awry of).

nursetim
10-04-2012, 15:13
I think the question " where're you from?" Is more germaine with the spread of the Kali virus, as to how much weight to give the speaker's opinion.