wheel balancing, necessary? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : wheel balancing, necessary?

manfred the wonder d
10-04-2012, 14:54
I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of tires from tirerack. Around here I can get the tires mounted but balancing , maybe not. My experience after they are mounted first time after rotating several times , they never re-balance.
Is it necessary? After they put the weight on is it still valid after a few thousand miles?
Are tires maybe made better today so they are not off balance when you buy them?

Atlas
10-04-2012, 14:56
Yes, it's necessary.

Gregg702
10-04-2012, 14:59
Yes, it's necessary.

Yup, unless you want severe wheel shimmy, and uneven wear.

Wake_jumper
10-04-2012, 15:17
I didn't balance the tires on my truck and so far they are smooth and wearing evenly (6000 miles).

Atlas
10-04-2012, 15:23
I didn't balance the tires on my truck and so far they are smooth and wearing evenly (6000 miles).

It is possible to get lucky that way..... sometimes.
It's a certainty though that your tires are wearing faster than they otherwise would if they were properly balanced.
If the ride feels OK to you then drive on and enjoy...

dango
10-04-2012, 15:28
I was a mech. for the army and any heavy duty tire rated under 50 MPH was OK not to balance but not on free-way! Balance them!

itstime
10-04-2012, 15:28
Yea it is necessary. May want to try balancing beads like equal. It stays in the tire till it wears out.

janice6
10-04-2012, 15:31
Absolutely. You may get lucky but the odds are against you and the cost can be significant.

Problems will be speed and wear dependant and may show up at the wrong moment.

cgwahl
10-04-2012, 15:36
Get it. It probably won't add that much to the installation either (probably ~$10 per tire).

JohnBT
10-04-2012, 15:39
"tirerack"

Goodyear beat tirerack for 4 Goodyear Tripletred 245/55/19. I was surprised, but their mounted & balanced & taxed price was only $30 more than what tirerack would have been for just the tires & shipping.

I didn't really need a 4-wheel alignment according to the printout, but the guy had a $20-off coupon, and now I can blame them if the tires don't wear evenly.

John

HollowHead
10-04-2012, 16:08
My local guy beat TireRack...installed, balanced and with a lifetime free rotation. HH

1-2man
10-04-2012, 16:20
My local guy beat TireRack...installed, balanced and with a lifetime free rotation. HH

Same here. By quite a bit!

HollowHead
10-04-2012, 16:42
Same here. By quite a bit!

To a considerable extent, the internet "giants" have done what Walmart pioneered. Prices that are initially so low that people stop comparing only to gradually raise them higher than what the local retailers sell at. HH

Peace Warrior
10-04-2012, 16:44
I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of tires from tirerack. Around here I can get the tires mounted but balancing , maybe not. My experience after they are mounted first time after rotating several times , they never re-balance.
Is it necessary? After they put the weight on is it still valid after a few thousand miles?
Are tires maybe made better today so they are not off balance when you buy them?
Devil's advocate: Balancing tires is a hustle! it is a waste of money! Just rotate every 5k miles, you'll be fine. TRUST ME! :whistling:

manfred the wonder d
10-04-2012, 16:46
Im wanting to buy Michilians but nobody close to me sells them. Around here it's cooper tires or goodyear.

slhfarm
10-04-2012, 16:47
tirecrawler.com (http://tirecrawler.com/index.php)

Yep, get them balanced. And the balancing does stay valid. At least till the tire gets really worn or you lose a wheel weight or something. If you notice when a tire is dismounted for patching, they put a mark on the it next to the valve stem so it gets mounted back in the same spot. That way they don't have to rebalance.

My local guy is always close to the same on price but usually doesn't get any rebates like the online places give.

edit:
And you could always get them balanced later.