Glock 21 Frame Rail Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21 Frame Rail Question

ricklee4570
10-04-2012, 16:22
I just bought a new G21. Took it apart and noticed that the metal from the front frame rail shows through the frame at the bottom u shaped dust cover part. At the front where the slide impacts the frame there is a couple of spots (one on each side) where the metal is showing. I tried to do a search on this but I did not find much.

Is this anything to worry about? Is this normal to be able to see the metal exposed between the rails on the Gen 4 G21? I tried to post pics but my phone keeps kicking it out. I will post pics tomorrow when I'm on my home computer.

Keyhole
10-04-2012, 16:30
Am happy to offer opinion when the pics are up.

ricklee4570
10-04-2012, 16:57
If anyone has a Gen 4 Glock 21 take a look between the front rails inside the dustcover and see if there is metal exposed where the polymer is thin there. It would be right close to where the slide impacts the frame during recoil.

ricklee4570
10-05-2012, 02:54
Here is a couple of pictures.

Arc Angel
10-05-2012, 05:57
How about a couple of pictures that are IN FOCUS!

WheelGunFan
10-05-2012, 07:00
I can't tell from those pictures what you are trying to describe.

ricklee4570
10-05-2012, 07:07
Thats about the best I can do. I am using my old cell phone!

You can see the shiney line between the frame rails in the frame, right? Thats the metal that is coming through the plastic.

ricklee4570
10-05-2012, 07:13
Even without pictures, which Im sorry, they are lousy, you can still look between the front rails on your G21 Gen 4 and see whether you can see metal sticking up out of the polymer frame of the dustcover or....does yours have the metal buried into the plastic.?

ricklee4570
10-05-2012, 07:18
Here is the exact area.

WheelGunFan
10-05-2012, 07:53
Mine is the exact same as yours.

Here is a picture from mine.

Really, this is nothing to worry about. It will not impact the function or durability of your frame.

ricklee4570
10-05-2012, 08:09
I appreciate your response as well as a response from diamondd2 in private message form. Sounds like all is well!

This is what makes this sight so valuable. It is quicker to get information here than it is to call the Glock factory and be put on hold!

Arc Angel
10-05-2012, 09:15
The first time I tried to purchase a G-19, the store had to order it in for me. When I went to pick it up, the salesman handed it to me while he began to fill-out the paperwork. I checked the chamber, pulled the trigger, and began to pull down on the slide lock lever. The salesman looks at me and asks, 'What are you doing?'

I answered, 'Taking the Glock apart to inspect it'. He replies, 'Not in my store you don't!' 'I ain't chasing nobody's recoil spring around the floor for them.' Then he tells me to just leave my gun alone until after I get it home.

I repeated his words, 'You want me to leave my gun alone?' He says, 'Yeah.' I held, 'my gun' out to him; he took it from me; and, as I turned around to leave, I commented over my shoulder, 'You meant to say, 'You're gun - Didn't you!'

Personally, I would never buy a Glock without taking it apart for examination. I've already had more than enough trouble with the Glocks I found nothing visibly wrong with to ever purchase one I knew next to nothing about.

(I, also, strongly suspect that one of the largest gun distributors in our area has the nasty habit of setting aside Glock pistols he knows police armorers would reject and sends them, instead, to the civilian market.)

Socks tear
10-05-2012, 12:57
The first time I tried to purchase a G-19, the store had to order it in for me. When I went to pick it up, the salesman handed it to me while he began to fill-out the paperwork. I checked the chamber, pulled the trigger, and began to pull down on the slide lock lever. The salesman looks at me and asks, 'What are you doing?'

I answered, 'Taking the Glock apart to inspect it'. He replies, 'Not in my store you don't!' 'I ain't chasing nobody's recoil spring around the floor for them.' Then he tells me to just leave my gun alone until after I get it home.

Personally, I would never buy a Glock without taking it apart for examination. I've already had more than enough trouble with the Glocks I found nothing visibly wrong with to ever purchase one I knew next to nothing about.

Most gun shops don't allow field stripping new guns in store. Personally I don't want my new gun taken down by 30 customers before I buy it

Socks tear
10-05-2012, 12:58
I just bought a new G21. Took it apart and noticed that the metal from the front frame rail shows through the frame at the bottom u shaped dust cover part. At the front where the slide impacts the frame there is a couple of spots (one on each side) where the metal is showing. I tried to do a search on this but I did not find much.

Is this anything to worry about? Is this normal to be able to see the metal exposed between the rails on the Gen 4 G21? I tried to post pics but my phone keeps kicking it out. I will post pics tomorrow when I'm on my home computer.

perfectly normal. The "metal" at the bottom of the dust cover is the frame number plate required by BATF

skyboss_4evr
10-05-2012, 13:03
Perfectly normal.

SJ 40
10-05-2012, 14:18
Most gun shops don't allow field stripping new guns in store. Personally I don't want my new gun taken down by 30 customers before I buy itYou may not but I would find a different gun shop that or they can keep their gun,much as Arc Angel did.
If it is a gun I want and their is nothing wrong with it
,upon my inspection it won't be on the shelf for another customer like you to have to purchase. SJ 40

silversport
10-06-2012, 04:52
I have a GEN4 G21 and have the same metal mars...thought the same as you did...posted it here and was assured like everyone else here is doing that it is normal...I haven't seen it change since then and my G21 is 100% reliable and GLOCK like...:wavey:

Bill

Solscud007
10-06-2012, 06:05
Black makes it hard to see. : P Here is my FDE G4 G21

http://i36.servimg.com/u/f36/17/16/28/42/p1020211.jpg

http://i36.servimg.com/u/f36/17/16/28/42/p1020212.jpg

diamondd2
10-06-2012, 11:51
Now go shoot it and tell us what you think.