Texas CHL concerned of Virginia handgun loophole [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Texas CHL concerned of Virginia handgun loophole

tongix
10-04-2012, 22:30
http://www.khou.com/news/Virginia-loophole-allows-Texans-to-avoid-state-mandated-handgun-training-172767171.html

Drain You
10-04-2012, 22:38
http://i.imgur.com/vR6Z4.jpg

SMOKEin
10-05-2012, 01:48
Simply the instructors upset about losing some profit. I've heard* its pretty common to show up for the class, shoot your target, do your finger prints and be told its time for lunch, so come back in 5hrs when the class is over and your paperwork will be complete. Oh yea, join the NRA.

HerrGlock
10-05-2012, 02:06
I've heard a whole bunch of "May", "Will", "Should", "Would" and similar words about things like this. What I have not ever heard is where no mandated training, or minimal training with no range time, has ever actually BEEN a problem.

If this were actually an issue, those states that have no mandated range times would show more poor shoots, more non-participants shot, and more brandishing charges than those states with mandated range training.

I'm still waiting for one of these types who are all up in arms about no mandated training to show where it's actually been an issue beyond places with mandated training.

tongix
10-05-2012, 07:19
I see this ending with Texas putting a lid on reciprocity with Virginia CHL holders.

G36's Rule
10-05-2012, 07:32
No, that will not happen. What will happen is that Texas will probably make a new law stating that residents can not carry concealed unless they have a valid Texas CHL.

JFrame
10-05-2012, 07:35
C'mon, Texas -- please stop your whining.

You're putting the memories of William Travis and Sam Houston to shame...

ChuteTheMall
10-05-2012, 08:00
I'll bet that few if any non-resident CCWs have been trained in the specific penal codes of each and every state which recognizes their out of state license; this is just an attempt to ban non-resident permits and reciprocity.

“My concern with this online process is that the licensee doesn’t learn anything about penal code chapter 9, or penal code chapter 46,” Patterson responded. “The first chapter relates to lawful deadly force, and the 2nd to prohibited locations for CHL carry. You need to know that when you carry a firearm for self defense.”

Let's face it, Texas is not as pro-gun as Virginia, still banning open carry, restricting knife blades to no more than 5.5 inches, having a mechanism of 30.06 signs to ban CCW where Virginians merely recognize property rights and trespassing laws for that concern.
A greater percentage of Virginians have CCW's compared to Texans. (3.49% vs 2.10%)

VA 279,000 out of 8 million
TX 524,000 out of 25 million

http://legallyarmed.com/ccw_statistics.htm

I wonder who would profit from imposing federal standards for interstate CCW permits and training?
Would every permit holder have to learn every state's laws, or just every non-resident permit holder have to be tested on state of residence laws? What about travelers, would travel permits be mandated? Is your visa stamped for Texas travel?
:whistling:
It's a slippery slope.
Let's see how many Texans, holding only non-resident permits, commit gun crimes in Texas due to differences in training requirements.

G36's Rule
10-05-2012, 08:14
C'mon, Texas -- please stop your whining.

You're putting the memories of William Travis and Sam Houston to shame...

C'mon people, let's not get silly. This has nothing to do with the CHL holders and everything to do with someone getting pissy about losing money.

JFrame
10-05-2012, 08:24
C'mon people, let's not get silly. This has nothing to do with the CHL holders and everything to do with someone getting pissy about losing money.

I was just yankin' their chain, G36 -- nothing to get serious about... :)

slick64
10-05-2012, 08:28
This was going on in Utah for many years. Online CHL's that were recognized here previously aren't. As it should be.

tongix
10-05-2012, 08:33
i can see discussions going on on this topic at http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewforum.php?f=7&sid=a094192ae4af825c3fb214a17147c7b0

F350
10-05-2012, 09:53
I've heard a whole bunch of "May", "Will", "Should", "Would" and similar words about things like this. What I have not ever heard is where no mandated training, or minimal training with no range time, has ever actually BEEN a problem.

If this were actually an issue, those states that have no mandated range times would show more poor shoots, more non-participants shot, and more brandishing charges than those states with mandated range training.

I'm still waiting for one of these types who are all up in arms about no mandated training to show where it's actually been an issue beyond places with mandated training.

My home state of Indiana has had a concealed carry permit law dating back to 1934 with no training requirement and no laundry list of prohibited places. I would imagine had there been an inherent problem with no training there would have been changes by now. Vermont doesn't even have a permit system, constitutional carry since 1939(?) and has no problems.

JFrame
10-05-2012, 10:34
My home state of Indiana has had a concealed carry permit law dating back to 1934 with no training requirement and no laundry list of prohibited places. I would imagine had there been an inherent problem with no training there would have been changes by now. Vermont doesn't even have a permit system, constitutional carry since 1939(?) and has no problems.

You mean having a permit doesn't make a person MORE responsible...?

Go figger... :whistling:

G36's Rule
10-05-2012, 10:50
I was just yankin' their chain, G36 -- nothing to get serious about... :)

:thumbsup:

stsai465
10-05-2012, 11:03
I took this course a couple years ago. No, we did not get to skip out for 5 hours; in fact, the instructor made it a point to mention that the state has auditors in classes like theirs to check for that.

That said, the shooting portion of the Texas CHL is laughably easy. A legally-blind person picking up a gun for the first time could probably pass it as long as he was pointed the right direction to the target.

racerford
10-05-2012, 11:09
I took this course a couple years ago. No, we did not get to skip out for 5 hours; in fact, the instructor made it a point to mention that the state has auditors in classes like theirs to check for that.

That said, the shooting portion of the Texas CHL is laughably easy. A legally-blind person picking up a gun for the first time could probably pass it as long as he was pointed the right direction to the target.

And people fail the shooting portion all the time and have to retake it. One time I had the woman next to me hit my target, off the silohouette and it cost me points on the test. I couldn't prove it was her shot and the rest of my shots overlapped so much you couldn't count my hits.

No bother as I easily passed the test even with her errant shot.

Many fail due to unsafe gun handling.

Peace Warrior
10-05-2012, 11:12
This^

But yeah, as another poster mentioned, if they keep whining, they will probably get Texas legislature to make instate training mandatory for Texas residents. (ETA: If it isn't already. IDK)

The wording would probably go on to include reciprocity permits are only valid in Texas if the nonresident visiting Texas resides in the actual state that issued the permit.

noway
10-05-2012, 11:15
I like how they use loophole. It's not a loophole it the law and that state's requirement. Guess what TX, Ind doesn't require any stupid training or handgun handling.

Also for a Texans, they would need a license for their state. I was under the impression you would need to obtain a resident permit if you reside in Tejas.

edcrosbys
10-05-2012, 21:04
Let's face it, Texas is not as pro-gun as Virginia... restricting knife blades to no more than 5.5 inches...
Whereas you have to worry about the local knife laws in every town in Virginia!

MikeB2
10-05-2012, 21:31
Going to be turning in my app for a VA CHL this week. I took the class with instructors from a local shooting club. I enjoyed it enough to join the club also.

Taking a online test will get you pass the legal requirements here, but it sure can't replace the hands on experience or the advice/experience of 8+ instructors in a live class.