Anyone know about marine circuit breakers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about marine circuit breakers?

devildog2067
10-05-2012, 08:12
Specifically, does anyone know why ABB circuit breakers seem to own so much of the marine market? I've heard that they have a "smaller" footprint somehow. Does anyone happen to know any details?

Shot in the dark, I know, but I thought I'd ask.

Atlas
10-05-2012, 08:21
Private vessel (sailboat, powerboat, yacht) or commercial?

The marine electrical market is something of a niche market.
Marine electrical hardware and equipment is sold in conformance with various standards such as Det Norske Veritas, NMEA, ABYC, etc according to the specific service.

devildog2067
10-05-2012, 08:42
Commercial mostly. I imagine that's where the money and the volume is.

Atlas
10-05-2012, 09:26
For commercial and military ABB, Eaton/Cutler-Hammer, and Siemens all have a large portion of the market.

I wasn't aware of ABB having a significantly smaller footprint, but in a ship's machinery-spaces, size matters.

Glock20 10mm
10-05-2012, 10:38
I am using the Blue Sea System breakers in my off grid array.

But to answer ABB is a massive company that has a wide array of reliable and affordable circuit protecting components and motors and motor control components. It makes sense they would be in the marine field as well.

http://www.abb-breakers.com/?gclid=CLa1lJmn6rICFWThQgodZBAAgg

I recall that we used a majority of ABB's electrical components in our engine rooms (US Navy). So that may be a contractual agreement there.

Atlas
10-05-2012, 11:46
I recall that we used a majority of ABB's electrical components in our engine rooms (US Navy). So that may be a contractual agreement there.

I recently completed an automation project for a contractor to the Navy on a very high voltage, high current shipboard assembly which included a number of shunt-trip breakers..
they were Eaton/Cutler-Hammer.

The company is descended from a division of Cutler-Hammer which installed the first electrical system on any Navy vessel, back in the late 1800's. They've been a major/prime supplier to the Navy from that time to the present.

Geko45
10-05-2012, 11:54
Specifically, does anyone know why ABB circuit breakers seem to own so much of the marine market? I've heard that they have a "smaller" footprint somehow. Does anyone happen to know any details?

Shot in the dark, I know, but I thought I'd ask.

My dad used to work for ABB Seatec. I'll shoot him the question.

kirgi08
10-05-2012, 12:26
tagged.