Windows 8 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8

Osborne
10-05-2012, 11:34
Well, I got a free copy of Windows 8 Professional from my college. It sucks just keep your Windows 7. Its exactly the same but they removed the Windows button and instead brings up this annoying interface that looks like my Xbox and is slow to navigate (You can tell it is for touch screens).

Anyone who would pay $200 for this needs to be slapped.

Tackle
10-05-2012, 11:42
I'm not sure how technical you are but they are not exactly the same. They are quite different.

Osborne
10-05-2012, 11:44
The desktop looks exactly the same! Oh and to shutdown your system you have to go under settings to turn it off.

Tackle
10-05-2012, 11:47
The desktop looks exactly the same! Oh and to shutdown your system you have to go under settings to turn it off.

Desktop...yes, looks the same. Open your task manager or administrative tools...not exactly the same.

Not ntfs either. There are many many changes in Windows 8.

Osborne
10-05-2012, 11:54
Desktop...yes, looks the same. Open your task manager or administrative tools...not exactly the same.

To the average user that doesn't mean anything.

paul45
10-05-2012, 12:05
To the average user that doesn't mean anything.

That might not mean anything to YOU.:upeyes:

Apparently you are having trouble accepting the fact that someone has a different opinion than you? :whistling:

douggmc
10-05-2012, 12:13

NTFS is replaced in Windows 8??

Osborne
10-05-2012, 12:25
That might not mean anything to YOU.:upeyes:

Apparently you are having trouble accepting the fact that someone has a different opinion than you? :whistling:

No, the fact is most people who use their computers for FaceBook and junk like that do not even know what NTFS is, let alone care that it is changed.

Glock20 10mm
10-05-2012, 12:28
NTFS is replaced in Windows 8??

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/01/16/building-the-next-generation-file-system-for-windows-refs.aspx

http://www.readwriteweb.com/enterprise/2012/04/top-10-windows-8-features-9-fi.php

I'll stick with OpenSuSE thank you! We have had file systems similar to ReFS for close to a decade now... Windows is finally catching up.

Happypuppy
10-05-2012, 12:39
They have been touting the new file system since a developer conference in 1997. I am still waiting, NTFS is/was a kludge

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

Gun Shark
10-05-2012, 12:45
Well, I got a free copy of Windows 8 Professional from my college. It sucks just keep your Windows 7. Its exactly the same but they removed the Windows button and instead brings up this annoying interface that looks like my Xbox and is slow to navigate (You can tell it is for touch screens).

How'd you manage that? I wish my college gave me free new OS upgrades.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

MikeG22
10-05-2012, 12:59
Windows 8 is still NTFS. Windows Server 2012 uses the ReFS.

Tongo
10-05-2012, 13:07
Phones and tablets are for consuming information. Laptops and desktops are for generating information. The two categories of devices shouldn't have the same UI, they do fundamentally two different things. The Win8 UI is going to bomb on the desktop IMVHO.

Old School
10-05-2012, 13:20
Tech opinions on GT often miss the mark. I posted years ago about my lessons learned with Vista and got ripped by the 3 people in the world who had stable Vista installs from day 1 and couldn't fathom why I would be posting about configuration and updates. Given the universal failure if Vista, yeah, I'm kind of smug about that, now.

OP says win 8 offers him nothing over win 7, that's his opinion. I'm sure that a line by line analysis of source code wouldnt't change his mind.

airmotive
10-05-2012, 13:51
Phones and tablets are for consuming information. Laptops and desktops are for generating information. The two categories of devices shouldn't have the same UI, they do fundamentally two different things. The Win8 UI is going to bomb on the desktop IMVHO.

Game. Set. Match. (or is it 'point':dunno:)

Vista recovered nicely with the second service pack. Still a hog, but a well-behaved hog that smells like bacon.

Win8 is going to make WinME look like _____________ (insert clever, whimsical snippet here).

LASTRESORT20
10-05-2012, 13:53

Agree!

sappy13
10-05-2012, 17:44
Install the program start8. It will put a windows 7 start button on your screen.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2