Cop killer arrested 16 years later [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cop killer arrested 16 years later

MrsKitty
10-05-2012, 12:08
Sixteen years ago, on October 5th at 2:42 AM, Jonesville (NC) police Sgt. Greg Martin was pronounced dead after being shot multiple times alongside Interstate 77. On Wednesday evening, a Florida man was arrested and charged with first degree murder for killing Greg.

I knew Greg and some of his family. Not only was he a damn good cop, he was a great man. I know several officers who have worked this investigation including one who took it as their own personal failure because they couldn't make an arrest. I don't think it would be possible to pinpoint how many lives that Greg touched but he was forced out of this world too soon...

When I read that an arrest had been made, I bawled like a baby. I can't begin to imagine how those closest to him feel. I pray that this brings some closure to his family, friends, brothers and the community.

Godspeed, Sgt Martin. You will never be forgotten...

http://www.officer.com/news/10798987/after-16-years-arrest-made-in-nc-officer-killing

Bullwinkle J Moose
10-05-2012, 14:33
If that is the murderer I hope the last 16 years of his sorry life has been a torment, having to constantly look over his shoulder worrying about getting caught and may he be constantly sodomized by a John Holmes clone until they repeatedly jab a dull needle in his arm infiltrating his veins several times until they can successfully deliver the fatal dose to send him to Hell. :steamed:

Peace Warrior
10-05-2012, 16:19
Glad they got him. In one way it's too bad he didn't try to go out in a hail of gun fire, but in another way I am glad that he has to be sentenced, of course if he is found guilty. .

blkt2
10-05-2012, 21:13
Looks like some good work went into catching the shooter. Hope they have enough solid facts to get a conviction against the guy.

Lone_Wolfe
10-05-2012, 21:28
Better 16 years late than never. RIP Sgt Martin. :fallenofficer:

Patchman
10-05-2012, 22:17
Better 16 years late than never. RIP Sgt Martin. :fallenofficer:

RIP Sarge. Tragic that you didn't make it home that night. Hopefully this will provide some closure for your family, friends and co-workers.

goldenlight
10-06-2012, 02:20
I'm glad they got the scumbag, finally. Better late than never.

One thing about killing a cop: the case is never EVER closed, and all necessary resources are available, even many years later. Other cops will work the case on their own time, out of respect for the fallen officer.

I would bet there are relatively few unsolved homicides of LEO's on the books.

Usually, they get caught because they can't keep their mouth shut, and then somebody rolls over on them. Criminals are notoriously stupid about this: they like to brag. Not this time apparently.:steamed:

Detectorist
10-06-2012, 02:43
R.I.P. Sgt. Martin

I would pay good money for the authorities to let me throw the switch, or however they do it today.

jbglock
10-06-2012, 04:53
It will be interesting to find out later on what finally led to identifying that man as the killer. Reading the story brought chills to me. I think of all the times late at night I've approached a vehicle by myself. Before every shift I remind myself that it work that is done for the good of all including my own family. It is work that is worth dying for in the service of others.

If the evidence is compelling like I'm guessing it will be I hope he gets the death penalty. No plea deals.

silversport
10-06-2012, 04:58
:fallenofficer: Rest in Peace now Brother...good work all...

Bill

dstanley66
10-06-2012, 05:56
Greg and I went through B.L.E.T. (rookie school) together, he was a great person and officer. Greg I hope you can RIP now and your family will have some closure. You are truly missed. :fallenofficer:

MrsKitty
10-06-2012, 12:46
Greg and I went through B.L.E.T. (rookie school) together, he was a great person and officer. Greg I hope you can RIP now and your family will have some closure. You are truly missed. :fallenofficer:

Check your PMs. :wavey:

Did you know Greg when they lost the baby? My most vivid memory of him is seeing him hold that teeny tiny baby in his hands before she died.... :crying:

MrsKitty
10-06-2012, 12:49
R.I.P. Sgt. Martin

I would pay good money for the authorities to let me throw the switch, or however they do it today.

I would personally build a guillotine for them to use if they would. This ol' boy would get to spend his last week sharpening the blade...unless he chose to bungle that up. If he did, it just wouldn't be as clean of a slice for him and it woud just hurt. :supergrin: