Electic cars have twice the global warming of internal combustion cars [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Electic cars have twice the global warming of internal combustion cars

cowboy1964
10-05-2012, 12:24
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/report-electric-cars-have-twice-the-global-warming-potential-of-traditional-vehicles/

And these are the people that are going to save you from yourself and take care of you cradle-to-grave?

callihan_44
10-05-2012, 12:54
doesnt matter, it makes libs "FEEEEL" better about themselves....

JBnTX
10-05-2012, 12:54
:rofl:

Don't let Al Gore find out.

aircarver
10-05-2012, 13:01
Assuming there was 'global warming' ......:upeyes:

Gundude
10-05-2012, 13:20
doesnt matter, it makes libs "FEEEEL" better about themselves....Exactly, it's like airport security. It doesn't address the problem at hand, but its mere presence makes people feel better that "something is being done".

JFrame
10-05-2012, 14:03
Ah...The wonderfully predictable consequences of imposing a political agenda on practical realities...

jeepinbandit
10-05-2012, 14:45
I could have told them that when the cars were on the drawing board. :/

OctoberRust
10-05-2012, 14:48
Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he sure made up global warming. :supergrin:

ModGlock17
10-05-2012, 14:54
Having spend some part of my technical career on this, I can tell you that PURE electric vehicles are not all that practical (limited range, etc.) and because you are starting to get so many electrical "toys" in the vehicle (GPS, Phone, Guidance System, ABS, Stability Systems,etc. all of which consume electrical energy). I forgot the figure now, but you'd need huge amount of kilowatt-hours just to keep these electronics working.

Pure EVs are viable in an on-campus setting, dashing among buildings. But not beyond.

Everybody in the business knew that. What makes electric drives viable in vehicles, is when you combine them with combustion engines, hence the term HYBRID electric. That, is viable and a good idea.

I can also tell you that I drive hybrids EVs, not because it saves gas by using it more efficiently, but because it is great fun to drive, in term of response and torque. When you press the gas pedal, you'd get immediate power coming from the electric drive. That makes the cars responsive, and quicker than any combustion-only cars.

And Yes, after 150,000 miles in each vehicle, I still have the original brake pads in them cars !

Gundude
10-05-2012, 15:11
They're also great for sneaking up on people. I heard they have to emit fake engine noise now in order to prevent that, but I'm sure that can be disconnected.

QNman
10-05-2012, 19:31
Liberals apparently think power comes out of their receptacles by either wind power or magic fairy dust... Not to mention what happens when you get in an accident, and burst all the highly toxic chemicals in those batteries into the ground.

QNman
10-05-2012, 19:33
Having spend some part of my technical career on this, I can tell you that PURE electric vehicles are not all that practical (limited range, etc.) and because you are starting to get so many electrical "toys" in the vehicle (GPS, Phone, Guidance System, ABS, Stability Systems,etc. all of which consume electrical energy). I forgot the figure now, but you'd need huge amount of kilowatt-hours just to keep these electronics working.

Pure EVs are viable in an on-campus setting, dashing among buildings. But not beyond.

Everybody in the business knew that. What makes electric drives viable in vehicles, is when you combine them with combustion engines, hence the term HYBRID electric. That, is viable and a good idea.

I can also tell you that I drive hybrids EVs, not because it saves gas by using it more efficiently, but because it is great fun to drive, in term of response and torque. When you press the gas pedal, you'd get immediate power coming from the electric drive. That makes the cars responsive, and quicker than any combustion-only cars.

And Yes, after 150,000 miles in each vehicle, I still have the original brake pads in them cars !

Meh... I'll race you in my little turbocharged four-banger. :supergrin:

Seriously though, I really like the idea of hybrids. And when they get more into cars that I both like (stylistically) and in my price zone, I'll buy one. And I believe it WILL get there.

Cavalry Doc
10-05-2012, 19:33
I'm still waiting for coal powered cars. :rofl:

QNman
10-05-2012, 19:34

They had those for a long time... the earliest ones had to ride on rails. :whistling:

:supergrin:

jeanderson
10-05-2012, 20:10

They are here now. On average, an electric car is 50% coal powered, as about 50% of our electricity comes from coal-fired power plants.

The global warming idiots just don't get this.

ModGlock17
10-05-2012, 21:55
The Amish buggies has coal stove inside passenger cabin. I guess they have larger carbon footprint than a Cadillac.
:rofl:

marchboom
10-06-2012, 07:13
How will people charge their electric cars after obama closes down everything coal related?

These democrats, they don't think very well, do they?

BORNGEARHEAD
10-06-2012, 18:50
“Our results clearly indicate that it is counterproductive to promote EVs in areas where electricity is primarily produced from lignite, coal, or even heavy oil combustion.”

So they are only counterproductive because we are still using coal? Then get off the dirty coal and get more wind and solar for power. Article must have been written by an oil man.

countrygun
10-06-2012, 19:01
“Our results clearly indicate that it is counterproductive to promote EVs in areas where electricity is primarily produced from lignite, coal, or even heavy oil combustion.”

So they are only counterproductive because we are still using coal? Then get off the dirty coal and get more wind and solar for power. Article must have been written by an oil man.

Given how effective and efficient solar and wind power are, I just can't imagine why someone would bother to tell the truth about what the cars amount to in this reality. Yup must be an oilman

:upeyes:

JFrame
10-06-2012, 21:14
Given how effective and efficient solar and wind power are, I just can't imagine why someone would bother to tell the truth about what the cars amount to in this reality. Yup must be an oilman

:upeyes:

I think we are butting up against a generation that believes dilithium crystals are for real.