Another WW2 vet. Gramps is in the ER, receiving CPR. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another WW2 vet. Gramps is in the ER, receiving CPR.

airmotive
10-05-2012, 16:46
Wifey just called. Her grandpa is getting CPR as I type.
Not that typing helps him...but it helps.

Gramps was 16 years old and working as a cowboy in Montana when he lied about his age and joined the Army in WW2.
Went to Ranger school.
Utah beach on D-Day.
Received a medal for crossing a river and going behind enemy lines to direct an artillery strike on a Nazi position.
Walked all the way to Berlin, then shipped out to invade Japan.

Never fought the Japanese, but hates them even today (even though he was quite proud about how many Japanese girlfriends he had during the occupation).

For our wedding, he game my wife and me a silk tapestry he (proudly) looted from a home in Tokyo in 1945. Needless to say, gramps wasn't exactly a warm and fuzzy, PC kind of guy. But a good guy to have on your side if the free world needed saving.

No need for prayers. But he might appreciate a raising of a glass tonight.:patriot:

gruntmedik
10-05-2012, 16:53
It is done. :angel: :patriot:

.264 magnum
10-05-2012, 16:55
Wifey just called. Her grandpa is getting CPR as I type.
Not that typing helps him...but it helps.

Gramps was 16 years old and working as a cowboy in Montana when he lied about his age and joined the Army in WW2.
Went to Ranger school.
Utah beach on D-Day.
Received a medal for crossing a river and going behind enemy lines to direct an artillery strike on a Nazi position.
Walked all the way to Berlin, then shipped out to invade Japan.

Never fought the Japanese, but hates them even today (even though he was quite proud about how many Japanese girlfriends he had during the occupation).

For our wedding, he game my wife and me a silk tapestry he (proudly) looted from a home in Tokyo in 1945. Needless to say, gramps wasn't exactly a warm and fuzzy, PC kind of guy. But a good guy to have on your side if the free world needed saving.

No need for prayers. But he might appreciate a raising of a glass tonight.:patriot:

The Greatest Generation indeed.

I'm holding the best thoughts and will gladly and with respect tip back a sip of scotch in salute in about one minute.

Resqu2
10-05-2012, 16:58
Best wishes for you and your wife. Sorry for her loss and the loss of an American hero.

dabigguns357
10-05-2012, 17:01
The Greatest Generation indeed.

I'm holding the best thoughts and will gladly and with respect tip back a sip of scotch in salute in about one minute.

Prayers sent,and the greatest generation is getting smaller.

I fell your pain as i'm still dealing with it as well

Glock20 10mm
10-05-2012, 17:37
I'll tip a glass of my best Scotch in his honor.

ilgunguygt
10-05-2012, 17:53
My grandpa was a WW2 vet, we lost him in January 2009. He was a great man, as were most from that generation. When I was a child I used to love listening to his stories. Now that I am older I only wish I would have spent more time listening to his stories as a young adult. I learned a lot from him about life, even though at the time I didnt realize it.

Gallium
10-05-2012, 17:59
I know this might come out all wrong, and rub a few the wrong way, but your gramps is simply ****ing awesome. I will keep him in my thoughts, and I wish for him what he wants, and what is best for your family.

- G

airmotive
10-05-2012, 20:22
Aparently you guys are raising a LOT of glasses.

Gramps is awake and talking. Complaining about a very sore chest.
Doctors said they did CPR on him for 5 minutes, and that's why he's so sore.
"Don't you EVER do that to me again!"
"Sir, are saying you don't want us to do CPR on you again?"
"Your ******* right that's what I'm saying. It ****ing hurts like hell! How'd you like it if I broke a dozen of your ****ing ribs, huh buddy?"

I'll raise a glass to that.
You can't make this **** up.

stolenphot0
10-05-2012, 20:26

"Your ******* right that's what I'm saying. It ****ing hurts like hell! How'd you like it if I broke a dozen of your ****ing ribs, huh buddy?"

Glad the tough 'ole guy came around. I don't drink much anymore but would raise a glass!

Ruggles
10-05-2012, 20:33
Irreplaceable Generation.

Best wishes to him, sooner or latter all of those men will no longer be with us and we will be a poorer society because of it. :(

Sixteen years old and lying to join up and do his part, tells me all I need to now about him. :)

RenoF250
10-05-2012, 20:34

I read this just as I was raising my class so I guess I cannot take any credit. Glad to hear he pulled through.

I am guessing he is ~88, he still has some miles in him. My grandmother has died at least twice, she is 92.

tsmo1066
10-05-2012, 20:45

Sending prayers anyway...and raising that glass for him! Glad to hear he's doing better!

:patriot:

CJStudent
10-05-2012, 20:47

:thumbsup: Glad to hear it!

Lone_Wolfe
10-05-2012, 21:16

Wow, glad he's kicking butt once again. I'll raise another glass for him now. :patriot:

jeepinbandit
10-05-2012, 21:26
Raising a Beer.

G19Tony
10-05-2012, 21:54

That's just badass, right there. :cool:

Butkus
10-05-2012, 23:12
These men were the real heros! May God bless them all!

zoyter2
10-05-2012, 23:55
....................Needless to say, gramps wasn't exactly a warm and fuzzy, PC kind of guy. But a good guy to have on your side if the free world needed saving.
.................:

I cannot think of a better way to sum up the type of man that made this country into the greatest in the world. I wish there were men of his caliber everywhere.

Gallium
10-06-2012, 02:49
Awesome news Airmotive. :)

selogic
10-06-2012, 18:22
My late father was a WWII combat vet . Those guys are my heroes . God bless him . I hope recovers quickly .

Paul53
10-06-2012, 19:27

Thanks for making America great for us gramps!

*ASH*
10-06-2012, 19:52
i musta missed something , but thread smells funny . :dunno::dunno::faint::faint:

loots a house , hates japanese but had japanese girlfriends ? this thread wont last long lol

but oh well cheers !!!

pipedreams
10-06-2012, 19:59
:patriot::patriot: What can I say but the best to the gentleman..........................

airmotive
10-07-2012, 12:17
i musta missed something , but thread smells funny . :dunno::dunno::faint::faint:

loots a house , hates japanese but had japanese girlfriends ? this thread wont last long lol

but oh well cheers !!!

I'm just the messenger brother.

Traveling right now, but I'll post some photos of the old man later. We ordered a full set of his military awards last year and presented them to him in a shadowbox along with a copy of his citation for calling in that arty strike, folded flag, unit pins, and an original D-Day invasion letter from Ike. Heck, I'll take some photos of the tapestry he gave us...maybe someone on GT can identify it and provide some more info about it.:dunno:

ashecht
10-08-2012, 07:27
I will raise my beer tonight in honor of your grandfather. And tell him we all say thanks for his service.

Glock&KimberLady
10-08-2012, 16:52
Riaisng my Rock Star to Gramps.

My Grampa was a WW2 vet, Marine, Guadalcanal. He "died" twice, lived to be 83, and passed in 2005.

Those guys are some tough birds. Oh, the stories he used to tell. And how shiningly proud he was when he asked what my carry piece was, and I showed him my 1911. :supergrin:

Just_plinking
10-08-2012, 22:04
Great news! Be grateful for the time you have with him. My grandad (a wwII vet) died when I was 11. It was about 15 years ago but I still remember him well. He was probably the greatest man I ever knew, and I can't think about him without wishing I was more like him.

Learn all of his stories you can, while you have the time, not just about the war.

Anything I can remember my grandad saying to me is like a treasure.