New Toy [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New Toy

Irish Stout
10-05-2012, 17:46
New around here. Thought I would chime in with the story of my purchase to help others looking to buy.

I just brought home my new G23 Gen 3 today after buying last night. I could have got a Gen 4 but saved a few bucks and honestly did not know if the differences really mattered too much.

I have been a .45 guy from my military days and fully intended to go that route. I went to the shop planning to buy a G30 or an XDs. I ruled out the XDs for now mainly because it was too small for what I want to do right now. So that left me with the G30 until the salesman showed me the G23. At first I was a bit put off because of the smaller round (after all I did want a 45), but the G23 felt so good. So I got the G23.

Just wanted to offer to prospective buyers to be open to all options despite them not being what you think you want. You may just be surprised like me.

Now to find some time to get to the range.

Oh, do you all suggest to clean the gun before the first shoot?

Thank you for all of your help both now and future.

SJ 40
10-05-2012, 17:53
New around here. Thought I would chime in with the story of my purchase to help others looking to buy.

I just brought home my new G23 Gen 3 today after buying last night. I could have got a Gen 4 but saved a few bucks and honestly did not know if the differences really mattered too much.

I have been a .45 guy from my military days and fully intended to go that route. I went to the shop planning to buy a G30 or an XDs. I ruled out the XDs for now mainly because it was too small for what I want to do right now. So that left me with the G30 until the salesman showed me the G23. At first I was a bit put off because of the smaller round (after all I did want a 45), but the G23 felt so good. So I got the G23.

Just wanted to offer to prospective buyers to be open to all options despite them not being what you think you want. You may just be surprised like me.

Now to find some time to get to the range.

Thank you for all of your help both now and future.
:welcome: and Congrats !
I think you will love the G 23 and while I am a 45 acp,I take that back 45 anything fan I too carry a 40. Enjoy ! SJ 40

allegro
10-05-2012, 17:58
The 23 is a sweet combination of power and smaller size. I really love mine, wouldn't trade/sell for any reason. You will love it for sure.

Have fun, be safe

Ranger45
10-05-2012, 18:03
Congrats and welcome to GT! I'm also a fan of the .45 that typically EDC's a .40. The G23 is a great package...hope to bring one home myself soon.

janice6
10-05-2012, 18:32
Welcome to GT. You will be pleased with that round. I use it and have no problems.

CanMan
10-05-2012, 18:42
Enjoy that Forty!

Irish Stout
10-05-2012, 18:49
Thanks all. I forgot to mention one of the things that sealed the deal was the ability to change the barrel out and shoot 9mm. Flexibility is always nice.

SJ 40
10-05-2012, 18:58
Thanks all. I forgot to mention one of the things that sealed the deal was the ability to change the barrel out and shoot 9mm. Flexibility is always nice.Or for that matter 357 Sig,a performance 9 mm.
A conversion kit and you can even go 22 rim fire.
SJ 40

Bruce M
10-05-2012, 19:16
Enjoy your new gun.

What I suggest means nothing. However the Glock manual, page 42 (03/10 revision) - "Your Glock pistol should be field stripped, cleaned, and lubricated... when brand new before the first time it is fired..."

Later on the manual reads "Note that the copper colored lubricant... should not be removed..."

bac1023
10-05-2012, 20:49
:welcome: and congrats

Irish Stout
10-05-2012, 20:59
Enjoy your new gun.

What I suggest means nothing. However the Glock manual, page 42 (03/10 revision) - "Your Glock pistol should be field stripped, cleaned, and lubricated... when brand new before the first time it is fired..."

Later on the manual reads "Note that the copper colored lubricant... should not be removed..."

I read all of that. Just curious what others had done. I'll certainly have time to clean the gun before my first range time.

I'm not too worried about the copper lubricant though. Eventually the copper lube is going to shoot out or be cleaned out, it won't last forever.

dakrat
10-05-2012, 21:22
welcome!

guns are not toys. this is where kids gets confused.

hwm
10-05-2012, 21:38
I own a gen4 23 now for the upgrades, 3.5 trigger, night sights, polish fire control systems, extended mag release, extended slide release The new toy, police trade in glock gen 2 22 for a project gun

Glock40man
10-06-2012, 01:54
Congrats on your G23!:cool: Yes, I clean and, lube my new Glocks before their first range trip.

jbglock
10-06-2012, 04:44
Thanks all. I forgot to mention one of the things that sealed the deal was the ability to change the barrel out and shoot 9mm. Flexibility is always nice.

No doubt it is easier to find deals on 9mm ammo vs. 40. I have a KKM conversion barrel that I use with my 23C. On cleaning I just leave the copper in place for the first few hundred + rounds but also oil the gun as I don't think they have enough oil on them out of the box. I know a lot of folks like running their Glocks nearly dry and the gun will function that way but I see less wear over the years than many of my friends with much lower round count guns from making sure the slide rails and mating surfaces of the barrel to slide are heavily lubed.

ca survivor
10-07-2012, 09:23
:welcome: and Congrats !

jeremy1
10-07-2012, 09:55
I think you are going to love that pistol. .40 is a good compromise and the 23 is a very nice size package.