Passat Rocking Out [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Passat Rocking Out

Restless28
10-06-2012, 06:33
Love this commercial. :supergrin:

Rush is still the best band on Earth and the Passat is built near here in Chattanooga, TN. :cool:

Passat Rocking Out Commercial - 2012 Motor Trend Car of the Year - YouTube

tantrix
10-06-2012, 06:38
Love this commercial. :supergrin:

Rush is still the best band on Earth and the Passat is built near here in Chattanooga, TN. :cool:

Awesome! :rock:

okie
10-06-2012, 06:48
But, but Styx is the greatest band in the world, so how can Rush be:tongueout::supergrin:

Lone Wolf8634
10-06-2012, 06:54
But, but Styx is the greatest band in the world, so how can Rush be:tongueout::supergrin:

Sorry Okie, I like Styx, they're a great band, but they don't belong on the same stage as Rush.:wavey:

Restless28
10-06-2012, 06:57
Two Words.

Neal Pert.

napp32
10-06-2012, 06:59
Whenever I see drivers "rocking out" or singing along to the car radio it gives me great concern for the mental health of our society. :frown:

okie
10-06-2012, 07:02
Sorry Okie, I like Styx, they're a great band, but they don't belong on the same stage as Rush.:wavey:

Blasphemer, don't you Blaspheme in here my friend:tongueout::rofl:

Lone Wolf8634
10-06-2012, 07:04
Blasphemer, don't you Blaspheme in here my friend:tongueout::rofl:

I calls 'em likes I sees 'em!!:tongueout::supergrin:

ithaca_deerslayer
10-06-2012, 07:08

That Styx singer is about 10x better better than that Rush singer.

Restless28
10-06-2012, 07:20

But, can he slap that bass or sound as good live as Geddy did recorded?

I've been watching Rush live performances on YouTube, and that band was super tight. It's amazing to see that they were that good live.

Plus, they rocked it with 3.:supergrin:

wizzi01
10-06-2012, 07:44
Whenever I see drivers "rocking out" or singing along to the car radio it gives me great concern for the mental health of our society. :frown:

What's wrong with letting loose every once in a while?
Maybe we should be concerned with your mental health since you have no outlet.

tantrix
10-06-2012, 08:54

Rush is on an entirely different level than Styx. That's why Styx will always open for Rush (if they're lucky), and Rush will never open for Styx.

Atlas
10-06-2012, 09:07

So... you don't enjoy music, it has little or no effect on you?

That's OK, not everyone is blessed, in much the same way some are color-blind. We all have our burden to bear...

ithaca_deerslayer
10-06-2012, 09:08
But, can he . . .sound as good live

Um, yeah, Dennis DeYoung can sing anything, anywhere.

Saw a PBS airing of a recent concert and interview. That guy has not lost anything. And can in the middle of an interview, on his own just belt out some golden bars. A truly great singer.

Maybe he should sing for Rush? :)

Gun Shark
10-06-2012, 09:27

You would have a lot of fun making fun of me then... you can find me "rocking out" and singing along to many different artists from Taylor Swift, to Rush, to Sting, and nearly everything in between, and with the windows down ta boot!. I do get looks and laughs, but honestly I really don't care. Life's too short and I am not insecure in myself.

For the original post:

I like both bands. And have seen Rush and Dennis DeYoung live.

Dennis DeYoung absolutely still has i t. I saw him a few months ago at Hard Rock Live. And I could be wrong here, but I would say Styx and Rush are great bands. I wouldn't say that one is better than the other.

method
10-06-2012, 09:29
Pretty sad to see Rush selling out like that. They can't be hard up for cash. Millions of records and concert tickets sold over the last three decades...just not enough? Do they not own the music?

Cali-Glock
10-06-2012, 10:10
I want a diesel Passat!

Pretty sad to see Rush selling out like that. They can't be hard up for cash. Millions of records and concert tickets sold over the last three decades...just not enough? Do they not own the music?

Most bands/musicians do not. I love when musicians get worked up about a politician or political figure uses their music. I love when musicians cry "they don't have permission"... Well actually dumbass they have express permission and have already paid to use your stupid song. Chrisse Hynde protesting Rush Limbagh's use of her music comes to mind though there are lots of examples.

I love Hynde's music - I wish she would stop doing stupid things to remind me of how stupid she is when she is doing something outside writing or performing music. Crap. The irony of my own statement.

Atlas
10-06-2012, 10:23
I want a diesel Passat!

Most bands/musicians do not. I love when musicians get worked up about a politician or political figure uses their music. I love when musicians cry "they don't have permission"... Well actually dumbass they have express permission and have already paid to use your stupid song. Chrisse Hynde protesting Rush Limbagh's use of her music comes to mind though there are lots of examples.

I love Hynde's music - I wish she would stop doing stupid things to remind me of how stupid she is when she is doing something outside writing or performing music. Crap. The irony of my own statement.

Can you elaborate please?
You say "Well actually dumbass they have express permission and have already paid to use your stupid song."

...as if "they" have some blanket permission ???

You of course understand copyright, etc.

So are you assuming that in such cases the user ("a politician or political figure") has paid for or otherwise obtained permission for public use?

It does happen quite often that various parties use music or other published and copyrighted works without seeking or obtaining permission. Should the owner of such works have no recourse?

Please help us understand what you meant.

HollowHead
10-06-2012, 10:26

Imagine how good Rush would have been with a better singer. Their musicianship isn't bad, but that voice...:wow: It sounds like a cat being raped by the singer from SuperTramp. HH

Dalton Wayne
10-06-2012, 10:33
Aerosmith for the WIN!!!!!!

okie
10-06-2012, 11:30
Sorry for the hijack restless:embarassed::wavey:

*ASH*
10-06-2012, 11:36
Fargensucken

greatest band ever is the rolling stones

Restless28
10-06-2012, 11:39
Sorry for the hijack restless:embarassed::wavey:

No apology needed. The debate is ok.

vikingsoftpaw
10-06-2012, 12:14
Pretty sad to see Rush selling out like that.

Selling out is 'Hipster Speak' for making money at what you. Nothing Occupiers are capable of...

ithaca_deerslayer
10-06-2012, 12:21
No apology needed. The debate is ok.

That Okie, he's always going into threads and derailing them :)

AK_Stick
10-06-2012, 12:25
Rush may be the best three man band in the world.

However, they still need to quit.

method
10-06-2012, 22:28
Selling out is 'Hipster Speak' for making money at what you. Nothing Occupiers are capable of...

I'm guessing you meant to put 'do' at the end of that first sentence. No clue where Occupiers entered the discussion.

Rush has been doing, making music and playing shows, quite well for a very long time. I really doubt they need to be shilling for a boring ass car.

Up and coming band, and you get an offer to make some dough and put your music out there? Hell yeah, stack that paper. A band like Rush should be better than that though.

Cali-Glock
10-06-2012, 23:10
Can you elaborate please?
You say "Well actually dumbass they have express permission and have already paid to use your stupid song."

...as if "they" have some blanket permission ???

You of course understand copyright, etc.

So are you assuming that in such cases the user ("a politician or political figure") has paid for or otherwise obtained permission for public use?

It does happen quite often that various parties use music or other published and copyrighted works without seeking or obtaining permission. Should the owner of such works have no recourse?

Please help us understand what you meant.

The dumbass being the musician:

It is very common that the musician does own the rights to their music. Someone else owns it. Frequently the "record" label owns the music and the rights to license it out.

This said, there have been a number of notable cases where musicians threw hissy fits that someone they don't like is using their music and make a scene in the media claiming their music is being used illegally and without their permission.

The reality in these cases is that the "offending" party in fact is legally using the music; they paid for the express right to do so, the the protesting musician does not own their own music or have any rights over who uses it or how.

Atlas
10-07-2012, 07:50
The reality in these cases is that the "offending" party in fact is legally using the music; they paid for the express right to do so, the the protesting musician does not own their own music or have any rights over who uses it or how.

Gotcha.
Thanks for that.

napp32
10-07-2012, 09:51
What's wrong with letting loose every once in a while?
Maybe we should be concerned with your mental health since you have no outlet.

Thank you for caring; but I've got sufficient outlets. It's just that none of them include public exhibitionism. Seriously, look at the video again...Do you really want to be that guy? :rofl:

Dan_ntx
10-07-2012, 10:18

I just watched a VH1 rock-doc on Rush...and I kind of get the feeling that they would appreciate the humor and innuendo put forward in the VW commercial. They are family men with a great sense of humor about who their fans are and about their place in Rock and Roll...having seen the commercial I think Rush makes it what it is.

I think "selling out" should be reserved for the non-sensical uses of music to represent goods or shows or whatever...the benchmark should be the music of The Who by anything CSI. :dunno:

happy seal
10-07-2012, 11:35
Rush is the best = give them the hall of fame!

GVFlyer
10-07-2012, 13:15
Rush is on an entirely different level than Styx. That's why Styx will always open for Rush (if they're lucky), and Rush will never open for Styx.

Picking your music is about as personal as picking a mate. For me, Rush/Styx/Journey/Boston are interchangeable bands.

When I find myself listening to music from the last century, it's U2/Led Zeppelin/Eagles/Ramones and maybe some Bob Marley.

If I'm riding my Harley, The Grateful Dead is still number one on my playlist - it's just great traveling music.

Looking down at the "Recently Played" selections on my iPhone, it looks like I'm listening to Tiesto, Carl Cox, Avicii, David Guetta, Rihanna and Maroon 5. Maybe I played a little Gordon Sumner Sting music, too.