View Full Version : Republican roadmap to an 8.5% vat

Ruble Noon
10-06-2012, 08:43
http://roadmap.republicans.budget.house.gov/plan/#federaltaxreform

JBnTX
10-06-2012, 09:00
Are you in favor or against a 8.5% VAT?
I'm curious as to your opinion?

I would favor it as long as it completely replaces the current income tax system and does not just add another tax.
And under the restriction that it doesn't gradually increase over time.

No exemptions, no loopholes.
You spend the money, you pay the tax.

Ruble Noon
10-06-2012, 09:09

I would favor it as long as it completely replaces the current income tax system and does not just add another tax.

I'm in favor of the Fair Tax. http://www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer?pagename=HowFairTaxWorks

However, the Republicans want to add a vat to the income tax, which I am in no way in favor of.

JBnTX
10-06-2012, 09:17
However, the Republicans want to add a vat to the income tax, which I am in no way in favor of.

I would not be in favor of that either.

A Fair Tax would be acceptable, but it too must replace the current taxes,
not add to them.

If the government can't function on that amount of money, then government is too big and needs to shrink.

GAFinch
10-06-2012, 09:18
As a replacement for the complete elimination of corporate income taxes? A highly simplified tax code for individuals? Looks promising to me. Raising sales taxes in the future is no different than raising income taxes or capital gains taxes.

JFrame
10-06-2012, 09:30
As others have noted -- a fair tax as a replacement to the income tax is an option to which I would give due consideration.

maxsnafu
10-06-2012, 10:51

Short of a constitutional amendment I know of no way to prevent future congresses from increasing the VAT or any other tax. Thinking an increase can be legislated against is the triumph of hope over experience.

G29Reload
10-06-2012, 10:51
However, the Republicans want

Oh, so you're speaking for all republicans now, are you?

No, we're not.

CitizenOfDreams
10-06-2012, 13:00
Does anyone here seriously think the VAT would replace the existing taxes instead of being added to them? When was the last time a federal tax was repealed (see answer below)?

Answer: in 2006. It was the federal excise tax on long distance calls, imposed in 1898 to help fund the Spanish-American War.

CitizenOfDreams
10-06-2012, 13:04
Oh, so you're speaking for all republicans now, are you?

No, we're not.

Those Republicans who make the decisions do. The rest of you is may "want" whatever you like, it does not matter much.