First Vietnam War Book Using Northern Sources [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Vietnam War Book Using Northern Sources

doc540
10-06-2012, 09:41
Until recently, the North has kept a tight lid on all internal information, data, and correspondence.

Now the first book has been written using unprecedented access to classified North Vietnam sources.

Just started her book this week, but so far it's outstanding.

There was a HECK of a lot going on in the North that we've never heard about.:wow:

Thought I'd share it for those here who are interested in history.

Hanoi's War: An International History of the War for Peace in Vietnam (The New Cold War History): Lien-Hang T. Nguyen: 9780807835517: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bew3ttNLL.@@AMEPARAM@@41bew3ttNLL

note: I do not agree with the author on many of her points, but I'm being enlightened about many things keep secret by the North for decades.

FLIPPER 348
10-06-2012, 11:01
outstanding, thanks for the link!

ca survivor
10-06-2012, 11:13
Thanks for the link!

sombunya
10-06-2012, 11:58
Link didn't work for me, but it was easy to find at AMAZON. Thanks.

Patchman
10-06-2012, 12:22
I recently finished reading The Last Valley, which was about Dien Bien Phu soley from the French perspective. I'm tired of reading about Viet Nam from the U.S. POV. This book should be a very interesting read. Of course, it'll be slanted but should still offer nuggets of interesting information and facts.

ithaca_deerslayer
10-06-2012, 12:26
Cool topic.

Usually the winners get to write history.

tongix
10-06-2012, 12:29
All the paperbacks of the Vietnam were all written by US vets . I ve read them a lot back in the 1990s. All the same stories end to end showing their tours of duties in black and white pics.
I hope we get to see the side of the COngs and NVAs. They were also very gifted by great military commanders. If not for Ho and Giap and Pham Van Dong, they wouldnt had won the war. These three were fueled to the core by Vietnamese nationalism , and followers of Mao's guerilla tactics.

norton
10-06-2012, 13:27
The Cong and the NVA were not run by gifted commanders. They got their asses handed to them during Tet. They were able to fight a war any way they saw fit while their enemy (Us) fought with one hand and one foot tied behind their backs.

98LS-WON
10-06-2012, 13:59
The Cong and the NVA were not run by gifted commanders. They got their asses handed to them during Tet. They were able to fight a war any way they saw fit while their enemy (Us) fought with one hand and one foot tied behind their backs.

So you are saying their commanders didn't handcuff their soldiers, that says a lot about their decision making capabilities.

G19Tony
10-06-2012, 14:51
Just downloaded it. Thanks. I was in Ho Chi Minh City a couple years ago, and went to the War Remembrance Museum. It was interesting to see the war from their viewpoint.

norton
10-06-2012, 15:29
So you are saying their commanders didn't handcuff their soldiers, that says a lot about their decision making capabilities.

No , it doesn't. What it says a lot bout is a "win at all costs" mentality, that the US govt stopped believing in after 1945.

Patchman
10-06-2012, 15:36
I hope we get to see the side of the COngs and NVAs. They were also very gifted by great military commanders. If not for Ho and Giap and Pham Van Dong, they wouldnt had won the war. These three were fueled to the core by Vietnamese nationalism , and followers of Mao's guerilla tactics.

In The Last Valley (Dien Bien Phu from the French POV), the author protrayed the NVA leaders as amatures (this was the first time the NVA coordinated 3 divisions to one battle). The author attributed success to the presence of ChiCom military advisors (and material) up to the highest levels.

Who knows, maybe it was sour grapes on the French part. And/or maybe against the U.S., the NVA had learned and became much better. :dunno: Probably both.

doc540
10-06-2012, 16:17
Just to be more clear, this book was written by an American, capitalist scholar of Vietnamese descent.

She's the first scholar to have been granted access to previously classified information which has been kept secret for decades.

I can't put the book down.

There was major dissent and conflict within the enemy ranks, but they've kept it covered up all this time.

sombunya
10-06-2012, 18:12

That's how I understand it. We had politicians running the war rather than qualified military personnel.

Caver 60
10-06-2012, 19:03

That's how I understand it. We had politicians running the war rather than qualified military personnel.

That's the way I saw it, and I lived it from 1966 through 1972 and beyond. I was over there for some part of every year during that period.

That's not to say we should have even been there in the first place. But Tet was the great turning point. In 1966 those of us involved saw it as a just war. After Tet we saw it as a stupid political war that cost far too many US lives. JMHO.

ateamer
10-06-2012, 19:08
Tell the generals the desired outcome, let them go fight the war and don't bother them again until they come back to give you the results. Why do politicians think they have to micromanage?

doc540
10-06-2012, 20:47
I think this book is a giant step toward having a better overall understanding of what was going on both in the North and internationally.

Some of you might enjoy it.

98LS-WON
10-07-2012, 09:38
No , it doesn't. What it says a lot bout is a "win at all costs" mentality, that the US govt stopped believing in after 1945.

I didn't mean that as a bad thing. It's what is wrong w/ our past/current mentality about being the world police vs defending the nation against threats to our way of life.

HollowHead
10-07-2012, 10:05
Cool topic.

Usually the winners get to write history.

I believe that's the case here. HH

Inyo Tim
10-07-2012, 11:14
All the paperbacks of the Vietnam were all written by US vets . I ve read them a lot back in the 1990s. All the same stories end to end showing their tours of duties in black and white pics.
I read a book in believe the `80's that was written by a North Vietnamese officer. It detailed his trip south on the Ho Chi Minh trail and the last battles including the fall of Saigon. It was a good read, but I forget the name of it.

Glocksanity
10-07-2012, 11:53

Exactly. The US could have committed total genocide against a peaceful Buddhist nation that posed no threat to the US, but alas, we only tortured and killed a few million with one hand and foot tied behind our back for craps and giggles.

Fox
10-07-2012, 12:05
"War for Peace" is Orwellian doublespeak there.

They could have made peace with the Republic of Vietnam (South Vietnam) but they had no desire for any peace but for that which comes from victory. Even then the fall of Saigon only meant a stop to the fighting. Violence continued to be inflicted on captured ARVN troops and civilian leadership.

The Orwellian doublespeak pretty much fits the propaganda of the "peace movement" here in the USA. The American Leftist had the largest impact on the war in Vietnam as they won the political battle on the American Homefront to end US military involvement in Vietnam.

Fox
10-07-2012, 12:13
Exactly. The US could have committed total genocide against a peaceful Buddhist nation that posed no threat to the US, but alas, we only tortured and killed a few million with one hand and foot tied behind our back for craps and giggles.

Communist forces in Vietnam were not peaceful.

US forces would have occupied Hanoi but for the politicians like LBJ who were seeking a peace treaty with Hanoi rather than victory. Had we invaded North Vietnam, the communist regime in Hanoi would have been extirpated and Vietnam would have been unified by the Republic of Vietnam.