Widescreen movies. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen movies.

okie
10-06-2012, 11:29
When you watch a widescreen movie do you zoom in to get rid of the bars? Normally I don't but I have watched movies where over half the screen was black bars and those I do zoom in.I don't know why some movie company's get so carried away:alex::faint:

Gareth68
10-06-2012, 11:34
For the life of me I can;t understand why they switched TV's to a different widescreen format than movies use.

stolenphot0
10-06-2012, 11:35
I never zoom in, but I also normally enjoy the movies in my basement on a 103" screen.

costanza187
10-06-2012, 12:07
I don't know there zoom feature is on my bluray player and/or tv. :embarassed:

I know that widescreen is supposed to be the way to go on stuff. However it does irritate me that now that I have a tv that is built using widescreen dimensions...I STILL have black bars at the top and bottom of some things.

What I also find irritating is when you watch some old program that was filmed in (I am guessing) the 4:3 ratio, it cuts off the top and bottom of the picture. I was watching something this morning that they were typing captions/narratives at the bottom of the screen, but I could only see about half of it because of the ratio of my TV.

I know it's not a really big deal, it's just one of those things.

okie
10-06-2012, 14:10

The zoom feature should be on your Blu Ray player remote my friend:supergrin:

okie
10-06-2012, 14:11
I never zoom in, but I also normally enjoy the movies in my basement on a 103" screen.

I bet that's nice my friend:alex::faint:

ArtificialGrape
10-06-2012, 14:16
I never zoom

Buki192327
10-06-2012, 14:16
I am still in the days of cassette and dvd, so I don't have to worry about it. :supergrin: :faint:

sappy13
10-06-2012, 16:13
when i was younger i would always zoom in. Then I realized how much more you see when left in widescreen format. It would be nice if it was all in one single format though. The bars do get annoying sometimes

okie
10-06-2012, 16:14
I am still in the days of cassette and dvd, so I don't have to worry about it. :supergrin: :faint:

Dvd's come in wide screen also my friend:supergrin:

nikerret
10-06-2012, 16:18
I watch it as the content is intended. Bars on the sides that need bars, no zooming or format manipulation.

stolenphot0
10-06-2012, 18:05
I bet that's nice my friend:alex::faint:

Yeah projector with surround sound. My kids love it on sleepovers too

mrmedina
10-06-2012, 18:10
I've always liked WS since the ABC Network first started airing the Ten Commandments on over the air TV. To the question , no. I never zoom in.......:wavey:

.264 magnum
10-06-2012, 20:55
For the life of me I can;t understand why they switched TV's to a different widescreen format than movies use.

The problem is that video (movies/games etc.) come in six or seven formats other than 2.35:1. I'd be all over 2.35:1 if it was more "universal".

Snaps
10-06-2012, 21:07
don't zoom it, but I've always wondered why with the wide screen TVs now and HighDef movies the black bars still exist.

Seems that'd be formatted to the movie to fit your screen and shouldn't have the bars anymore

nikerret
10-07-2012, 13:21
don't zoom it, but I've always wondered why with the wide screen TVs now and HighDef movies the black bars still exist.

Seems that'd be formatted to the movie to fit your screen and shouldn't have the bars anymore

Different ratios are better for different types of images. A 2.4:1 ratio is better for battle scenes where the director wants to show a vast army or a distance plight.

A 1.78:1 ratio is better for things up close, where you don't need the visual clues of more depth and expanse.

Films like Batman: The Dark Knight, switch from one ratio, to another, as the scene would most benefit. Most of these are tied to IMAX.

I like that the director/producers can decide and make their film how they want it to look. Same as film grain, I prefer a crisp, grain-free image, but if they want to present it with a fog, that's how I want to watch it.

Buki192327
10-07-2012, 16:56
Dvd's come in wide screen also my friend:supergrin:

Apparently I don't have any that are wide screen. What am I missing, okie? :dunno:

deputy tom
10-07-2012, 16:58
I don't zoom. tom.:cool:

ray9898
10-07-2012, 17:05
Never zoom....I would rather not cut away portions of the picture.

ArtificialGrape
10-07-2012, 17:30
Apparently I don't have any that are wide screen. What am I missing, okie? :dunno:
Here are descriptions of a few movies of the context that can be lost when not viewing full screen. http://www.rinkworks.com/movies/articles/letterbox.shtml

This page has some screenshot examples. http://kevinforsyth.net/film/pan_scan.htm

Widescreen shows you what the director intended for you to see.

Jason D
10-07-2012, 17:49
I can with my LG tv.
There is a feature where you can zoom and stretch a picture without losing any details on the sides.

Halojumper
10-07-2012, 18:09

LOL, my cassette player is squealing (and you can't find new ones in stores) but my VHS player still works.

Spiffums
10-07-2012, 20:32

I know that widescreen is supposed to be the way to go on stuff. However it does irritate me that now that I have a tv that is built using widescreen dimensions...I STILL have black bars at the top and bottom of some things.

What I also find irritating is when you watch some old program that was filmed in (I am guessing) the 4:3 ratio, it cuts off the top and bottom of the picture. I was watching something this morning that they were typing captions/narratives at the bottom of the screen, but I could only see about half of it because of the ratio of my TV.

I know it's not a really big deal, it's just one of those things.

I have noticed some of the logo's on the news cuts off the left and right side now.

What gets me is the older TV Shows that don't have the aspects added in and you get the bars on all 4 sides.

okie
10-08-2012, 06:48

The widescreen show a wider but narrower pic, hence the black bars:supergrin:

Haldor
10-08-2012, 10:36

At the time the standard was being selected people still made vacuum tube TVs and 16:9 was pushing the limits of that technology. The yield on picture tubes was too too low to be economically viable at wider aspect ratios.

Tackle
10-08-2012, 11:31
No bravia posts yet? What's the deal with that?!

No, I don't zoom. It is annoying though.

WarCry
10-08-2012, 11:31
Here, this is an example of just a few of the formats. Do NOT zoom. You're not getting the picture the director intended:

http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/media/widescreen_gb2.jpg

You're going to have black bars one way or another. They can make the screens shorter and wider, but some movies would have bars on the side then.

JLB768
10-08-2012, 18:01
We've got our DirecTV HD receiver set to native res, original format, 16:9. TV is a 70" Sharp Aquos 3D LED.

okie
10-13-2012, 13:20
Here, this is an example of just a few of the formats. Do NOT zoom. You're not getting the picture the director intended:

http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/media/widescreen_gb2.jpg

You're going to have black bars one way or another. They can make the screens shorter and wider, but some movies would have bars on the side then.

Damn, that's a hell of a difference:alex:

TK-421
10-13-2012, 13:41
I do wish that the black bars would go away, and they would make the movie take up the whole screen on my TV, since I have a widescreen TV, and the movies are supposed to be presented in the wide screen format. But I don't know enough about movies and visuals and all that to know if it's possible or whatever, so I just make do with the black bars.

As to watching TV, I don't zoom in, but I make it so that the TV show fills the whole screen. Apparently it distorts the picture and stretches things out and makes people look fat, but I don't see it, and it doesn't bother me. If I zoomed in, it'd cut out a good chunk of the screen being displayed, so I just blow it up so it fills the screen instead.

ray9898
10-13-2012, 15:20
I do wish that the black bars would go away, and they would make the movie take up the whole screen on my TV, since I have a widescreen TV, and the movies are supposed to be presented in the wide screen format. But I don't know enough about movies and visuals and all that to know if it's possible or whatever, so I just make do with the black bars.

I guess you skipped what was explained earlier. Technology has advanced past the 16:9 standard used in normal wide screen TV's. That makes bars necessary if the movie is shot with the newer stuff which is wider to allow more depth of field.