Winter Tires [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tires

DanaT
10-06-2012, 12:44
I always like running winter tires on my vehicles over all seasons in the winter. Even over all terrain tires. They seem to work much better on ice and snow.

My winter tires from last year dont have enough tread depth so I need news ones.

Does anyone have experience with Michelin Latitude Alpin tires? These come in a V-rated tire.

I have never had Michelin tires and most people say good things about them. My current tires are Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow. I have Brisdgestone Blizzaks on my wifes car. The Blizzaks seem to have much better snow/traction that my Pirellis. Another tire that I had that was a good snow/ice tire.

Only the scorpion and michelins are available with V-rating. The Blizzaks are only H-rated.

In general, tests of Blizzaks say they dont have really good dry road braking.

Michelin from what i see normally get good reviews as far as noise and are normally very round from what I have read. Also typically decent tread life. I just question of the Alpins have the poor braking (maybe a trait of all winter tires).

I have also had Cooper winter tires. Almost an all terrian tire made for winter. They had good traction and very aggressive tread pattern (good price point too). Just not how well they would balance out being a cheaper tire. Small imbalances I really notice.

So has anyone had experience with the Michelin Alpin? Any other winter tire that anyone would recommend?

TheExplorer
10-06-2012, 13:14
I use the tirerack.com reviews and search for my specific car. You can check your car's forums as well for good suggestions. But I can tell you the Blizzaks are one of the best for pure snow, but in the dry they can get annoying real fast.

Cubdriver
10-06-2012, 13:15
The Nokian Hakkapeliitta has always been highly regarded in the Miata community. I need new snows this year and may try to find them. I've been running the Yokohama Guardex up till now. I never noted what their speed rating was, though.

-Pat

Bushflyr
10-06-2012, 13:15
Nokian Hakkapeliitta. Never used them myself, but everyone I've talked to loves them. My cousin refuses to drive any other tire in the winter. But then again, he only drives Saab so.... :dunno:

Cubdriver
10-06-2012, 13:18
My understanding is that the downside of the Blizzaks is that the special rubber compound only goes halfway down the tread, and once they've worn beyond that point you're left with a mediocre all season tire underneath. I'm not certain this is the case, but it's what I heard years ago, and what led me to the Yokos, which use the compound all the way through.

Gregg702
10-06-2012, 14:01
I am lucky, I can run summer tires year round.

DanaT
10-06-2012, 14:07

But see, I like snow. And 4 seasons.

jtull7
10-06-2012, 18:10
I have Michelin Mud & Snow tires on both of my vehicles, and have had for 20 years. As we live about two miles down a dirt road, I don't worry about the snow as much as the mud when it melts.

Interesting fact: 66% of the roads in Santa Fe County are dirt. We like that way. As they say around here: "Bad roads make for good neighbors."

1-2man
10-06-2012, 18:16
I never put enough miles on my Blizzaks to know if they "transitioned" to an all season type tire but they were great in snow and ice but annoyingly loud on dry (Subaru STi.)

07 LMB Z06
10-06-2012, 19:18
Michelin in general seems to make very good tires. I can't imagine you would be disappointed, but I've never heard anything specifically about the Alpin. With that said, the Blizzaks are the go-to winter tire over on the BMW forums. Everybody recommends them.

I have Dunlop Wintersports; they're pretty good. When they need replacement I will most likely go with the Blizzaks.

JMS
10-06-2012, 20:51
For winter I run with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 which handle the snow and ice very well and are not loud at all. If I had to have 1 tire year around I would have these.

DanaT
10-07-2012, 00:56
For winter I run with Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2 which handle the snow and ice very well and are not loud at all. If I had to have 1 tire year around I would have these.

I have run AT before. I have Yoko A/T-S on my pickup and drove in the snow. Where true winter tires had plenty of traction, the A/T-S just slid. I have also used BFG A/T (with severe winter rating). They were good in snow but not so good in icy conditions. Deep snow they were good in (here are obligatory pictures)

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx196/ddt951t/snow_01.jpg

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx196/ddt951t/snow_03.jpg

To give an idea of snow depth, the truck tires are 32".

That Jeep did really well. I took it off-road in some pretty tough spots. That is one vehicle I miss. The only problem is I miss my Barbie Jeep (YJ Renegade..if you know them that is why the guys I did off-roading with called it a Barbie jeep...I did manage to rip a body panel off of it...no big deal..some metal bending and it was right back on).

But that said, my choice for an AT tire would be limited to a General Grabber AT2

DanaT
10-07-2012, 01:05
Michelin in general seems to make very good tires. I can't imagine you would be disappointed, but I've never heard anything specifically about the Alpin. With that said, the Blizzaks are the go-to winter tire over on the BMW forums. Everybody recommends them.

I have Dunlop Wintersports; they're pretty good. When they need replacement I will most likely go with the Blizzaks.

See, that is why I am thinking the Blizzaks. They just seem to work REALLY well in snow/ice.

But the Blizzaks have an R speed rating (106mph). The Alpins and Scorpion are V-rated (149mph)

The Alpins (and scorpion) are also a manufacturer approved tire. Blizzaks are not approved.

I think I am convincing myself of the Aplins...

faawrenchbndr
10-07-2012, 04:32
Why the hell would you need a V rated winter tire?
A v rated tire & a winter tire have completely different design
properties. A compromise of both leads to poor performance.

DanaT
10-07-2012, 04:35
Why the hell would you need a V rated winter tire?
A v rated tire & a winter tire have completely different design
properties. A compromise of both leads to poor performance.

Well, 106mph is awfully slow.

The V-rating is more based upon stability of the tire shell not on tread pattern. It means at high speeds (on dry roads) it wont come apart. Heat is the biggest enemy of high speeds. I also believe that high speed rated tires in general have better construction.

But the same question could be asked why are there Z (or w and Y) rate all-season tires? At those speeds, one would think only r-compound should be available.

glockrod
10-07-2012, 06:40
But, WOW, tire prices have really jumped in the last 2 years!

I have to replace tires again on the wifes van(it eats tires) and soon on my truck. The same model tires for both are at least 1/3 again higher than the last time I bought. :wow:
Wish my pay would have increased similarly.

It must suck for all you snow people to have to keep 2 sets of tires. Snow is pretty, but it is too much work for a multitude of reasons.

DanaT
10-07-2012, 06:54
B

It must suck for all you snow people to have to keep 2 sets of tires. Snow is pretty, but it is too much work for a multitude of reasons.

I doubt that more than 1% of people run two sets of tires or even run winter tires.

Of course many people have crappy tires, that are worn down, and then cant make it to work because they got stuck and cant figure out why it happened.

My opinion is that tires are one of the most important parts of car safety and a decent handling vehicle. I would rather drive and average stopping car with good tire than a car that has much better (when tires are good) stopping running on crappy tires. Power, steering, and braking are only as good as the road/tire contact allows.

LEO/Dad
10-07-2012, 07:03
In the 1960's, my parents bought recap snow treads for their 1950 Ford. Dad had a extra set of wheels, and just ran these in the winter months. How times have changed. Just about everyone used snow tires, either new or recaps. Highway maintenance then, wasn't what it is today. You just don't see snow treads in our area today, unless on trucks.

paynter2
10-07-2012, 07:26
I sometimes walk through the parking lot of the St. Paul police department. I noticed they have very aggressive, snow type, tires front and rear. I'll have to stop and see what they're running.

Personally, I just run A/S Goodyears. I don't have to go over 100mph - 75 or 80 is my max.

We get lots of snow here too - similar to your (Dana) pictures. But I don't have any trouble getting around. Since we live in a snowy climate we have great road (count and state) highway maint.

For getting out of the driveway I have a Nissan with a locker and snowplow. I also have a Chevy !T dually with a plow. Winter isn't much of a problem - except I hate cold cars.

Wolfgang
10-07-2012, 07:28
how often do you drive 106 MPH on snow and ice?

DanaT
10-07-2012, 07:29

I dont change tire daily. Twice a year.

DanaT
10-07-2012, 07:32

I never exceed the speed the speed limit. That would be illegal, immoral, and bordering on attempted murder. In fact I drive 10mph just to be safe. To keep others safe, I drive 10-15mph under in the left lane of the highway to slow those wreckless speed demons down. When they follow me too close flashing their lights, they get a big time brake check!

JMS
10-07-2012, 08:15
But, WOW, tire prices have really jumped in the last 2 years!

I have to replace tires again on the wifes van(it eats tires) and soon on my truck. The same model tires for both are at least 1/3 again higher than the last time I bought. :wow:
Wish my pay would have increased similarly.

Not too much of a pain, it's nice when there is 3 feet of snow and everyone is stuck that I can get home.

FLIPPER 348
10-07-2012, 22:07

give yourself a cookie

FLIPPER 348
10-07-2012, 22:10

It's awesome actually and snow is easy with the proper gear.