Enter At Your Own Risk: Police Union Says ‘War-Like’ Detroit Is Unsafe For [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Enter At Your Own Risk: Police Union Says ‘War-Like’ Detroit Is Unsafe For

ERASER
10-06-2012, 13:26
http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/10/06/enter-at-your-own-risk-police-union-says-war-like-detroit-is-unsafe-for-visitors/

Eric
10-06-2012, 13:50
I enjoyed Robocop, but I never thought it would end up being prophetic. Eric

skew12
10-06-2012, 13:53
What a **** hole.

omega48038
10-06-2012, 13:59
Consider the source.

With that said, I'd just as soon walk around Detroit as I would Memphis, St. Louis, DC, Gary, New Orleans, Little Rock or a bunch of other mid size cities. Detroit is no worse than any of those.

cheapshot
10-06-2012, 15:52
Consider the source.

With that said, I'd just as soon walk around Detroit as I would Memphis, St. Louis, DC, Gary, New Orleans, Little Rock or a bunch of other mid size cities. Detroit is no worse than any of those.Don't forget Chicago.

9jeeps
10-06-2012, 16:18
Visited Detroit in the early sixties. It was a crap hole then.

Scott3670
10-06-2012, 16:27
Well at least the people in Detroit can get a gun permit. Think of how bad Baltimore, Loa Angeles, Stockton, and even our nation's capital are. Granted, Detroit is a craphole but it could be worse.... like Chicago.

cowboywannabe
10-06-2012, 16:38
dont blame the city, blame the people whom live there. a building never tried to mug me.

RonS
10-06-2012, 16:39
Anyone read Robert A. Heinlein's I Will Fear No Evil? He predicted that their would be what he called abandoned areas in American cities where you only went with the explicit understanding that you were on your own, no one would come to your assistance when you were attacked. Published in 1970.

It was inevitable given populations in the inner cities, racism, illegal immigration and politicians who see poor people as cheap and easy votes to be bought with welfare handouts. A republic or democracy cannot survive if there are too many people who don't even consider themselves part of it, aren't morally bound by its laws or share its values. I won't even get into language.

CAcop
10-06-2012, 16:43
Anyone read Robert A. Heinlein's I Will Fear No Evil? He predicted that their would be what he called abandoned areas in American cities where you only went with the explicit understanding that you were on your own, no one would come to your assistance when you were attacked. Published in 1970.

It was inevitable given populations in the inner cities, racism, illegal immigration and politicians who see poor people as cheap and easy votes to be bought with welfare handouts. A republic or democracy cannot survive if there are too many people who don't even consider themselves part of it, aren't morally bound by its laws or share its values. I won't even get into language.

My mom grew up in the 1950s in the East Bay. Back then there were places in Richmond, CA where the police did not go.

Remember this was a time of police being able to beat people for pretty much any reason.

LASTRESORT20
10-06-2012, 16:55

I did also....and yes....so very true.

`Another one would be "Escape from New York"

hpracing007
10-06-2012, 16:57
What a **** hole.

Wow, I had the EXACT same thought when i read the title of this thread.

Narkcop
10-06-2012, 16:57
If the Kenyan wins re-election this will be the norm in most big city's. Police are treated like criminals and criminals don't fear the system.

1-2man
10-06-2012, 17:28
I work in Detroit and have to (unfortunately) agree. Just this past Thursday there was a shooting right across the street in broad daylight (3:00 P.M.) in the Burger King parking lot (I heard the shot.) No suspects, victim in the hospital in very bad condition. He worked in the meat packing plant near by. He layed in the parking lot for a good 10 minutes before EMS/police arrived. If I didn't work there, I sure as hell wouldn't be there.

cheapshot
10-06-2012, 17:38
If the Kenyan wins re-election this will be the norm in most big city's. Police are treated like criminals and criminals don't fear the system.
It's already that way in a few.

Bren
10-06-2012, 18:19
dont blame the city, blame the people whom live there. a building never tried to mug me.

Blaming the people who live there would be racist, so it's best to blame the city.

*ASH*
10-06-2012, 18:30
HE CAN FIX IT

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e332/KK_Koala/images10-7.jpg

DreamWeaver88
10-06-2012, 19:21

You have to blame the people who run the city. They shoot down every idea on how to improve the city unless the idea comes from black people within the city. They want nothing to do with white people from outside the city.....no matter how much better it will make Detroit.

LASTRESORT20
10-06-2012, 19:40
You have to blame the people who run the city. They shoot down every idea on how to improve the city unless the idea comes from black people within the city. They want nothing to do with white people from outside the city.....no matter how much better it will make Detroit.

Your right it is what it is.....Should be interesting (in all aspects) when berry loses....

Ruggles
10-06-2012, 19:45
Sad fate for a historic American city. I certainly have no desire to go there anytime soon.

Atlas
10-06-2012, 19:54
Visited Detroit in the early sixties. It was a crap hole then.

My mother's husband was a city cop in Detroit through the 60's..
And lived to tell about it.

nursetim
10-06-2012, 20:34
Wall it off and start a game show. Call it "escape from detroit" the winners live.

boomhower
10-06-2012, 20:48
Sad thing is there are a lot of good people in the city, even in the projects. Pretty much victims of their own community. It's bad now, but it's going to get worse. Almost any Detroit cop that can find another job is leaving. Not many are trying to get on.

TactiCool
10-06-2012, 21:28
Wall it off and start a game show. Call it "escape from detroit" the winners live.

You just gave me the craziest idea...

Tactical instructors could host PSD/high-risk security courses in the projects/ run-down areas. Talk about real world experience!:rofl:

Indianashooter
10-06-2012, 21:54
I work with a woman who grew up in a Detroit suburb. She continues to believe she is perfectly safe going to see her family. I went their a couple summers ago with my sister to the downtown science museum for an exhibit. I was tensed up the entire time I was downtown. Something just didn't feel right. Nothing every happened, but I was very relieved to be driving out of that city.

Clutch Cargo
10-06-2012, 22:19
Don't forget Chicago.

Chicago is mid sized?:wow:

Clutch Cargo
10-06-2012, 22:27
Blaming the people who live there would be racist, so it's best to blame the city.

There would be NO city without the people who live there. I'm not racist, but don't mind being called one for speaking the truth.
There are American cities and inhabitants of those cities that are messed up beyond repair. Fence them off like the Kurt Russel "Escape From" movies.

MadMonkey
10-06-2012, 22:29
I've been to Detroit a couple of times, once downtown and the other only to the airport.

I have ZERO desire to go back. I've never felt that uncomfortable in any other city, and I've covered almost the entire USA and several European/Middle Eastern countries.

DanaT
10-07-2012, 00:33
Damn, and I thought the downtown Zurich was dangerous....

canis latrans
10-07-2012, 07:30
Sad thing is there are a lot of good people in the city, even in the projects. Pretty much victims of their own community.

if they voted for liberal policies/politicians, they got what they deserve...they are victims of their own making.

JohnBT
10-07-2012, 08:14
I never knew how large - and increasingly unpopulated - Detroit was until I read the following statement. Detroit is way too big at 138 square miles.

"a community of 713,000 that covers more area than Boston, Buffalo and San Francisco combined. Vacant property and parks account for 37 square miles"

Hef
10-07-2012, 08:31
Why would anyone go to Detroit?

mac66
10-07-2012, 08:51
Couple of qualifiers when you talk about Detroit...

There is a big difference between the City of Detroit and the Detroit Metro Area. The actual city is in bad shape and has suffered and exodus of a million people since the late 1960s. Even many of the black residents have fled the city in the last 10 years. It is decaying, corrupt and mismanaged. Any attempts by the current administration and the state to bring in an emergency fiscal manager has been thwarted by the corrupt and inept city council.

On the other hand, the surrounding suburbs are pretty much like suburbs anywhere. South east Michigan with the exception of the city of Detroit itself is a pretty nice place to live.

BTW, if anyone wants a tour of the inner city of Detroit, I would be happy to take you. I know the worst and the best places in the city. Kind of an Urban Jungle Safari.

Altaris
10-07-2012, 08:59
I was visiting a friend up there about 5 years ago. We went to a Tigers game, and drove through part of downtown. Something I never want to do again. It looked like some post-apocalyptic movie. Buildings falling apart, with windows all broken or boarded up, and vegetation overrunning lots. Looked like no one had done any type of maintenance in decades.
It was a total crap hole. As others have said, I felt really uncomfortable going through there, and was glad when I was gone.

smokin762
10-07-2012, 09:03
Sad thing is there are a lot of good people in the city, even in the projects. Pretty much victims of their own community. It's bad now, but it's going to get worse. Almost any Detroit cop that can find another job is leaving. Not many are trying to get on.

I work with people that have taken either the Police/Fire test. They told me, when taking one of these tests, there could be up to 4,000 people taking the test for only a few positions.

If no one wants to be Police/Fire in a city like Detroit, wouldn’t it allow a person a better chance to get their foot in the door and later on go elsewhere with experience?

Just curious. :dunno:

sheriff733
10-07-2012, 09:12
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f140/chapwalker79/Mainstream%20News/The%20Economic%20Recession%20Collapse/Detroitabandonedcity.jpg

brisk21
10-07-2012, 09:25
I can't believe that some people actually try to raise children in Detroit. Anyone makes it out of there not a criminal, or without some REAL baggage, Im impressed.

Atlas
10-07-2012, 09:27
Damn, and I thought the downtown Zurich was dangerous....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Flying-Dutchman
10-07-2012, 09:30
Unfortunately there are a lot of Little Detroits and not so little ones all over the Country.

It saddens me to see once great buildings gone to ruin.

We do not take care of our old buildings in this Country.

sombunya
10-07-2012, 09:32
if they voted for liberal policies/politicians, they got what they deserve...they are victims of their own making.

Coleman Young may not have led this trend but he was certainly a huge contributor.

gwalchmai
10-07-2012, 09:42
dont blame the city, blame the people whom live there.The people WHO live there, actually... ;)

ERASER
10-07-2012, 10:06

I was in the outskirts about 10 years ago.....it makes North Philly and Camden, New Jersey look like Vatican City.

However, if someone were to go to Google Images and type in Detroit, Michigan they would get something entirely different than the article would lead you to believe.

https://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=663&q=detroit+michigan&oq=detroit&gs_l=img.1.5.0l4j0i3j0l5.5682.6887.0.12282.7.5.0.2.2.0.76.351.5.5.0...0.0...1ac.1.dpszautUujU#q=detr oit+michigan&num=10&hl=en&tbm=isch&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=1&biw=1147&bih=475

vikingsoftpaw
10-07-2012, 10:30
Sad fate for a historic American city. I certainly have no desire to go there anytime soon.

How many people stop and morn the loss of all of the ghost towns out west? Most were built around one industry - mining. When it ceased, so did the reason for the town.

Such is the case in Detroit.

zoyter2
10-07-2012, 11:43

LOL...I love the poll about halfway down the page. "Are you afraid to go to Detroit?" YES/NO.

I am not the least bit afraid of walking into a pit, dropping trou and dangling the boys over a hungry alligator. Mainly because I am not stupid. I tend NOT to do stupid things. Like going to Detroit.

Ruggles
10-07-2012, 11:49
How many people stop and morn the loss of all of the ghost towns out west? Most were built around one industry - mining. When it ceased, so did the reason for the town.

Such is the case in Detroit.

True enough. Like I stated I do not have any intent of every seeing Detroit in person.

itstime
10-07-2012, 12:01
Unfortunately there are a lot of Little Detroits and not so little ones all over the Country.

It saddens me to see once great buildings gone to ruin.

We do not take care of our old buildings in this Country.

My BIL traveled to Europe and lives in SE Michigan.

Ironically, when he returned all he said was I toured around buildings thousands of years old and here in America destroy everything in less than 100

Atlas
10-07-2012, 12:02
Looks like the UAW may be getting their nose into the new VW assembly plant in Chattanooga TN.

Doesn't bode well for the "new" auto industry in the southeast.

Hailstorm
10-07-2012, 13:09
I live in Canton. Which is just west of Detroit. We have it good. The Police around here are hard on people doing low life things.

I am on High Alert when travelling close to the blackhole. I call it that because. If it catches you. You will not be seen again. Alive at least.

The Inlaws live in East Pointe which is just north of Detroit. It is now little Detroit. Just down a couple houses. A guy was shot in his car and set on fire. Then you have people who will rob you if they could.

So, I expect to here some real bad news some day. Until then. I buy more Food and Ammo.

Dragoon189
10-07-2012, 13:57

Not really prophetic if Detroit was still a hole in '87. Just worse now.

mac66
10-07-2012, 14:14
The real fact is much of Detroit is abandoned. As someone mentioned is larger in area than Boston, Manhattan and San Francisco put together with a third of the population. They call it an urban prairie.

There are some interesting places there for sure but if you mind your own business, don't deal drugs, stay out of certain neighborhoods you will be ok. The same can be said for any big city.

I go there quite often, it is a lot of fun.

tsmo1066
10-07-2012, 14:18
I was in the outskirts about 10 years ago.....it makes North Philly and Camden, New Jersey look like Vatican City.

However, if someone were to go to Google Images and type in Detroit, Michigan they would get something entirely different than the article would lead you to believe.

https://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=663&q=detroit+michigan&oq=detroit&gs_l=img.1.5.0l4j0i3j0l5.5682.6887.0.12282.7.5.0.2.2.0.76.351.5.5.0...0.0...1ac.1.dpszautUujU#q=detr oit+michigan&num=10&hl=en&tbm=isch&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=1&biw=1147&bih=475

Try doing a Google image search on "detroit urban decay" and you can see the naked reality...

https://www.google.com/search?num=10&hl=en&site=&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1600&bih=663&q=detroit+michigan&oq=detroit&gs_l=img.1.5.0l4j0i3j0l5.5682.6887.0.12282.7.5.0.2.2.0.76.351.5.5.0...0.0...1ac.1.dpszautUujU#hl=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=detroit+urban+decay&oq=detroit+urban+decay&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l5.42120.45324.1.45845.12.8.0.3.3.0.246.1359.3j1j4.8.0...0.0...1c.1.go6FTftB65M&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=a66783a58167cfc2&biw=1366&bih=618

Eric
10-07-2012, 14:20
Not really prophetic if Detroit was still a hole in '87. Just worse now.

Robocop wasn't just about Detroit turning into a crap-hole. It was about an under-funded and increasingly outnumbered police department trying to cope with it and failing. How long before they start taking bids for a private contractor to police the city?:supergrin: Eric

brisk21
10-07-2012, 16:28
The real fact is much of Detroit is abandoned. As someone mentioned is larger in area than Boston, Manhattan and San Francisco put together with a third of the population. They call it an urban prairie.

There are some interesting places there for sure but if you mind your own business, don't deal drugs, stay out of certain neighborhoods you will be ok. The same can be said for any big city.

I go there quite often, it is a lot of fun.

Its so rediculous that there are neighborhoods that aren't safe to walk through in this country. If you can't safely walk through certain streets because of the people living there, then that to me is domestic terrorism.

skorper
10-07-2012, 16:58
Been there. The whole town is full of vacant lots.

Pawcatch@aol.co
10-07-2012, 17:55
Isn't strange how the homicide rate in the U.S. is at its lowest levels since the early 60s,but some cities still have a much higher rate?

Hamilton Burger
10-07-2012, 19:06
My mom grew up in the 1950s in the East Bay. Back then there were places in Richmond, CA where the police did not go.

Still a good place to avoid like plague, esp. at night, also 75% of Oakland and 50% of SF. Not to mention Modesto, LA, Tampa, San Antonio, etc. etc.

Remember this was a time of police being able to beat people for pretty much any reason.

Ha! I knew one of the Oakland Riders. What the ***** DA's office and the likes of revs Jesse & Al refer to as "profiling" and "brutality" are survival skills and will save your life.

Glocksanity
10-07-2012, 19:13
Tigers 2
Athletics 0

Be very afraid of Detroit! Go Tigers!!

stevelyn
10-07-2012, 19:28
Evacuate the friendlies, (if there are any) and gas the place.

1-2man
10-07-2012, 19:45
Tigers 2
Athletics 0

Be very afraid of Detroit! Go Tigers!!

:rock: :cheers:

F350
10-07-2012, 19:47
Consider the source.

With that said, I'd just as soon walk around Detroit as I would Memphis, St. Louis, DC, Gary, New Orleans, Little Rock or a bunch of other mid size cities. Detroit is no worse than any of those.

So says the tail gunner on a Detroit milk truck :tongueout::rofl:

cowboywannabe
10-07-2012, 21:55
The sad part is detroit in the 80s was experiencing a "renassaince", the wharehouse district along the river towards bell isle was being revamped into swanky nigh clubs, heart plaza had summer concerts, greek town and trappers alley were nice hang outs, a downtown monorail sytem was being built.......then liberals got their way and all is lost as a result.

Andy W
10-07-2012, 23:31
Isn't Detroit also the only major city where the police are still not allowed to use JHP ammo? They finally got to use Federal EFMJ I believe because they were able to sneak it past the city government. Seriously, there were major protests from the "community activists" last time they tried to issue JHPs.

Interesting thread about this:http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/defensive-ammunition-ballistics/120145-performance-federals-40-s-w-165-grain-efmj-load-detroit-precinct-shootout.html

Lone_Wolfe
10-07-2012, 23:40
Robocop wasn't just about Detroit turning into a crap-hole. It was about an under-funded and increasingly outnumbered police department trying to cope with it and failing. How long before they start taking bids for a private contractor to police the city?:supergrin: Eric

Why not just have a GT gathering there? :rofl: :rofl:

Fox
10-08-2012, 00:02
I think the police chief is trying to secure more funding.

HoldHard
10-08-2012, 10:45
I think the police chief is trying to secure more funding.Police chief Godbee just "retired" today due to a scandal. Seems the chief was having an affair with Angelica Robinson, who works for the department in internal affairs. She got pissed that he went to a convention in San Diego with another woman.

Link (http://www.freep.com/article/20121008/NEWS01/121008028/Dave-Bing-Ralph-Godbee-Jr-resignation-detroit-police?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE)

It's DETOILET. Former mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is in federal court on trial for running a criminal enterprise along with his father and two others. If convicted, he's looking at 20 years.

Psychman
10-08-2012, 13:03
Actually, downtown Detroit was a pretty nice place back in the early 60s. By the time the late 60s rolled around, not so much and it has continued to decline since that time. When I was a child in the late 50s early 60s my mother and her 3 boys would ride the bus down 6 mile road and end up downtown for shopping and lunch at JL Hudsons. Our pediatrician was also downtown.

Spiffums
10-08-2012, 13:12

Was it places "people of color" couldn't go because the Whites would attack them for being "Colored" and steal all they had? Or was it like what we have now where if you don't blend in you bleed out?

hamster
10-08-2012, 13:32
I was in Downtown Detroit for work quite a bit last year. I never felt unsafe per-se, but whenever I wasn't in the office I always had 14 little 180 grain friends with me.

Jason D
10-08-2012, 18:30
I have said more than once MI should go to war with Canada for the express purpose of losing Detroit to Canada.

NOLA_glock
10-09-2012, 14:25
It's So Cold in the D - YouTube
*language warning

:rofl:

wjv
10-09-2012, 14:45
Anyone read Robert A. Heinlein's I Will Fear No Evil? He predicted that their would be what he called abandoned areas in American cities where you only went with the explicit understanding that you were on your own, no one would come to your assistance when you were attacked.

"The story takes place about 2015 AD"

Wow! his timing was right on the mark!

Clutch Cargo
10-10-2012, 02:18

The cool pawn shop? :rofl:

RyanSBHF
10-10-2012, 18:09
Isn't strange how the homicide rate in the U.S. is at its lowest levels since the early 60s,but some cities still have a much higher rate?

These cities tend to have a few common characteristics...:whistling: