My firearm transfer was "delayed" at Academy....how long? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My firearm transfer was "delayed" at Academy....how long?

brawndo89
10-07-2012, 10:56
Okay a quick run down of what is going on...I'm a long time lurker on these forums first time poster. I went into Academy to buy my first hand gun, an m9, and my background check was delayed. I had a feeling it would be delayed for this reason:

-When I was 18 (currently 23) I was arrested in Oklahoma (I live(d) in Texas then and now) for possession of marijuana and possession of ecstasy. Obviously both charges were felonies, but I went through deferred probation and the deal was as long as I didn't re offend in two years all charges would be dropped. I did not re offend so my record is now spotless.

With all that being said I assume that is the reason my background check is being delayed. I tried to buy it Friday at noon and still haven't heard from academy now Sunday at noon.

How long do delayed processes usually take? Am I likely to be turned down anyway even though all my charges have been dropped? Any info at all would be helpful guys, thanks!

Brawndo89

tnhawk
10-07-2012, 11:04
Did the dealer provide you with a phone number to call to address the delay? I had a refusal years ago, but after calling the number given by the dealer, the hold was removed. Many guns later this has never happened again.

brawndo89
10-07-2012, 11:19
Did the dealer provide you with a phone number to call to address the delay? I had a refusal years ago, but after calling the number given by the dealer, the hold was removed. Many guns later this has never happened again.

Nope all they told me is that they'd call me back when they found out more. Should I go in and request this number you speak of?

happy seal
10-07-2012, 11:31
You got any X for sale? :whistling:

costanza187
10-07-2012, 11:34
Long enough for the cops to get there and arrest you.

glockintx
10-07-2012, 11:36
Super sketch

Geko45
10-07-2012, 11:59
Nope all they told me is that they'd call me back when they found out more. Should I go in and request this number you speak of?

You don't get that number unless you are "denied". You just have to wait through a "delay".

Spiffums
10-07-2012, 12:00
I thought if they didn't hear back yeah or na in 3 days that it was clear.

brawndo89
10-07-2012, 12:12

That's what I read on the fbi nics website. Three days not counting the day of file or weekends. So I'm looking at Wednesday or Thursday I guess. Was just hoping for earlier. He also told me it could be because I have an extremely common name which I don't understand since they run your social...

cyphertext
10-07-2012, 12:22

That is what the law states, but the store policy can be more stringent than law. When I worked at Academy, the policy was to not release a firearm until NICs gave the all clear.

The store can call back with the record number to check on status. If it is denied, they will give you a pamphlet with a number on it that you may call to begin an appeals process.

Rinspeed
10-07-2012, 12:26
My NICS is delayed just about every time. I don't put my SS number on the form so maybe that has something to do with it.

LoadToadBoss
10-07-2012, 12:28
As soon as you get to a 1000 post count.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Adjuster
10-07-2012, 12:32
Extremely common name???

Like 'John Smith' or something?

/

brawndo89
10-07-2012, 12:34
Extremely common name???

Like 'John Smith' or something?

Yes something very similar to that.

beatcop
10-07-2012, 12:54
Who knows? You need a lawyer to check things out...even if this goes through. You don't want to try to purchase firearms after accepting a deal on felony charges. If they were reduced or dismissed in some manner that is "ok", good for you, but in a lot of cases taking a plea is pleading guilty.

brawndo89
10-07-2012, 13:00
Who knows? You need a lawyer to check things out...even if this goes through. You don't want to try to purchase firearms after accepting a deal on felony charges. If they were reduced or dismissed in some manner that is "ok", good for you, but in a lot of cases taking a plea is pleading guilty.

With deferred probation they essentially rescheduled my court date for two years after probation started. Upon that date if I didn't reoffend my trial was dismissed as if there were never charges at all. But obviously the fbi can still see that I was arrested. The charges WERE NOT "expunged".

IndyGunFreak
10-07-2012, 13:10
Not sure you need a lawyer... yet.

If the deal really was that this got wiped off your record, then you should be clear, and it could just be a delay due to a common name.

However, if it comes back that you were denied due to the convictions, then you'll need to get a lawyer to delve into your agreement with the courts in OK to try and resolve this matter.

Edit: Nevermind, I see you were never actually "convicted". My guess is, in 3 days, you're going to have your gun.

Tim151515
10-07-2012, 13:14
could be nothing. now law expert here, but it sounds like, due to the circumstances and deal you arranged, you are not a felon. Sometimes it just gets delayed. i have several guns, a name that is not common, and no criminal history. when i bought my cz it got delayed. they called me back in a couple days and told me i could pick it up. no other of my guns ever had that happen. I wouldn't sweat it.

brawndo89
10-07-2012, 13:49
Thanks for those of you with constructive replies. The guy at academy made it seem like this was an irregular thing so I just wanted to post to see what you guys thought. I'll post when academy calls me back..

They'll call even if I get denied right?

ray9898
10-07-2012, 14:19
You have prior felony charges. Depending on how your RAP sheet is coded they will confirm the charges are dismissed and you are no longer under indictment for the charges.

mike g35
10-07-2012, 14:29
Thanks for those of you with constructive replies. The guy at academy made it seem like this was an irregular thing so I just wanted to post to see what you guys thought. I'll post when academy calls me back..

You're just on a wait. Wait the allotted 5 days then go back and get your gun. A denial would require you to make a call, calling about a delay will get you nowhere. I sell guns at Cabelas, see this happen all the time. Be patient and you're golden.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Snaps
10-07-2012, 14:53
I've seen delayed checks go on for a couple days, never even a week.

And if they were going to do an arrest they'd tell you to try to stall the person till the police could arrive. I've seen that one as well.

It's likely nothing to worry about, especially if you have a jones/smith type name, just wait a few dyas and see.

denn1911
10-07-2012, 15:02
That is what the law states, but the store policy can be more stringent than law. When I worked at Academy, the policy was to not release a firearm until NICs gave the all clear.

My LGS doesn't let the firearm leave until they receive a "Proceed" from NICS. A typical lasts between 3-5 days.

cyphertext
10-07-2012, 16:03

Depends on the store and how busy they are. Sometimes we called, and sometimes we didn't. Usually, those that are delayed call the store to check themselves.

Gregg702
10-07-2012, 16:37
Yes something very similar to that.

Michael Jones?

ARs&AKs
10-07-2012, 16:38
I currently work part time behind the gun counter at Academy Sports. Delays are very common and sometimes have nothing to do with past criminal records. A common name, a SSN# that isn't typed in correctly, or any number of things can cause the sale to be delayed.
Also - Federal law states gun sales can proceed if nothing is heard from NICS for a period of three days after an initial delay. However, it is Academy policy that the sale can not go through until a 'proceed' has been received. - I have had delays come back proceed in ten minutes and I have had them take nearly three weeks. There is no rhyme or reason to the time limit.
One more thing - If you are constantly getting delayed then you can apply to the FBI for a UPIN number. This blots out whatever it is in your file that is getting you delayed and assures you of getting proceeds each time. It is a long drawn out process though so be prepared.
Hope this helps. :)

Resqu2
10-07-2012, 16:57
I am always delayed at lease a full day or two, I have a valid CHL and a spotless record. I also give my SS#. I think my problem is VA don't have enough people to process the sales but who knows?

cyphertext
10-10-2012, 08:51
Any outcome on this yet?

brawndo89
10-10-2012, 08:54
Any outcome on this yet?

I called them this morning and I'm still on delay :-/ this is really annoying.

wjv
10-10-2012, 09:56
My NICS is delayed just about every time. I don't put my SS number on the form so maybe that has something to do with it.

Doesn't help. . i get delayed EVERY time.

last time I added my SS#. . Didn't change a damn thing :steamed:

I know SO many people that have run into the unexplained delay that personally I think the delay is a "under the radar" attempt at having a waiting period. .

brawndo89
10-10-2012, 10:06
Doesn't help. . i get delayed EVERY time.

last time I added my SS#. . Didn't change a damn thing :steamed:

I know SO many people that have run into the unexplained delay that personally I think the delay is a "under the radar" attempt at having a waiting period. .

Academy claims that they call them twice a day to check for me. They also said putting the SS on there or not makes no difference.

JLB768
10-10-2012, 10:20
Amazing how things can come back later in life, and take a bite outta yer ass...

michael_b
10-10-2012, 11:55
That's what I read on the fbi nics website. Three days not counting the day of file or weekends. So I'm looking at Wednesday or Thursday I guess. Was just hoping for earlier. He also told me it could be because I have an extremely common name which I don't understand since they run your social...

Only if you put your social on the form- it's optional. I never do.

brawndo89
10-11-2012, 12:13
Just wondering...what happens if after the three day period, they sell you the gun, and your background check actually ends up being "denied"? I mean obviously this is why stores like Academy have their policy set up to avoid that situation, but what about mom and pop shops that don't care?

gigab1te
10-11-2012, 12:51
Just wondering...what happens if after the three day period, they sell you the gun, and your background check actually ends up being "denied"? I mean obviously this is why stores like Academy have their policy set up to avoid that situation, but what about mom and pop shops that don't care?

They can lawfully sell it to you after the three day period, but that might not stop them from getting sued if you misused the weapon. I'd guess that's why large stores have corporate policies against those types of sales. If the store did sell it to you and you were in fact a prohibited possessor, I'd expect you would be getting a visit from a nice detective looking for low hanging fruit...

blastfact
10-11-2012, 20:12
OP the problem is never ever trust the courts and lawyers to do there job when you have done yours. You always have to force the issue. Two examples.

As a juv. I got bust for playing chicken with cops in a car. I won the battle but lost the war. Ended up having a very bad wreck. BUSTED! Went to hospital, jail and court. I pled guilty and took what the worthless judge gave me. Met my obligations. Later the DA and others decided to retry me as a adult. Funny thing was. They never told me or my worthless lawyer. Warrant went out. Busted again. After it was all over I owned the DA and judge. Double jeopardy, false arrest and not adjudicating me really made them look bad. But what can you expect from over educated idiot college boys on the public pay role. It cost them big time.

As a adult I was arrested, charged, jailed and pled guilty for growing pot for my own consumption. A deal was struck like yours with some jail time to make them feel good. But I went through with expunging my record. That cost a ton of money. All the dogs are really interested in is money. And making your life a living hell.

I'm now clean. Heck I could be a cop. LMAO! The juv. stuff happened in SoCal / Orange County. And the pot farmer stuff happened in Rogers Co. Ok. You have to make the courts do there job. And doing so means it cost you money. Not them unless they really screw up. The burden of proof is on you.

Good luck with your purchase. Just know you may in the long run have to fight the system. Or have the issue follow you for the rest of your life.

A uncle of my screwed up once. The night of his batchlar party he got trash and walked home. It was winter in Tulsa OKiehoma and he figured out almost to late he was freezing to death. To save his life he kicked in a bank front door for the entrance foyer. He closed the doors back up and set on the well lit benches in the foyer. Never touching the main entrance doors. Being young and dumb they charged him with bank robbery. But gave him a deal like yours. It was clear,,, he made a mistake. But never tried to enter the bank proper. After years of having to go through felony stops because the cops info on him was bank robber. He finally made the courts do there job. It cost him a boat load of money. But it got his record cleaned up. Funny how his already perfect credit score went up. His car insurance went down. And the cops left him alone.

Make them do there job. Otherwise your a vic. of the retarded system we have. Created by over educated college boys with no common sense. Most of which would be politicians if they could polish up there act as pathological liars.

brawndo89
10-11-2012, 20:30
Trust me I paid big for everything to be clear...over twenty thousand is what our ended up costing. My RAP sheet is spotless.

cyphertext
10-13-2012, 13:31
Still waiting?

brawndo89
10-13-2012, 19:05
Still waiting?

Called Academy today and FINALLY I got my "proceed". It took them like 45 minutes to find my paperwork and it was super fail, but I now have my m9. Probably won't be buying from them anymore...anyway here are some pics

http://imageshack.us/a/img96/5669/4new.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/atRK1.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img194/9672/2newd.jpg

Bruce M
10-13-2012, 19:11
Good to hear you finally got it - enjoy your Beretta.

AngryPanda
10-13-2012, 20:16
Other than not finding your paperwork they had nothing to do with the delay, you would have gotten delayed no matter what shop you went to.

brawndo89
10-13-2012, 20:19
Yeah I realize that but they are so disorganized there it's a huge pain in the ass. And they didn't even call me the same day I got the proceed. Whatever it's done now.

AngryPanda
10-13-2012, 20:20
Yeah I realize that but they are so disorganized there it's a huge pain in the ass. And they didn't even call me the same day I got the proceed. Whatever it's done now.

about on par with any chain store. How any of those places sell anything amazes me. Glad you got the gun btw.

cyphertext
10-13-2012, 20:57
All right...now time to head to the range! :supergrin:

brawndo89
10-13-2012, 20:59
All right...now time to head to the range! :supergrin:

Put 250 rounds through it today! It was a beautiful thing.

edit: Also bought the year membership to my closest outdoor range...much better deal than paying 12 bucks each time!

robin303
10-13-2012, 21:22
Put 250 rounds through it today! It was a beautiful thing.

edit: Also bought the year membership to my closest outdoor range...much better deal than paying 12 bucks each time!

:thumbsup: Now save your brass and learn to reload. :cool:

TK-421
10-13-2012, 21:34
Glad you finally got the proceed. I got delayed the first time I bought a firearm too. Filled out all the paperwork, got told I'd have to wait. Bought it tuesday, was told if they didn't call me before saturday then I could come in and pick it up. They called me the next day and said I was good to go. No explanation on why I was delayed, no explanation on what I can do to make sure I'm not delayed next time, nothing. But hey, I have my firearm, you have yours, life is good. :supergrin:

686Owner
10-13-2012, 21:36
OP the problem is never ever trust the courts and lawyers to do there job when you have done yours. You always have to force the issue. Two examples.

As a juv. I got bust for playing chicken with cops in a car. I won the battle but lost the war. Ended up having a very bad wreck. BUSTED! Went to hospital, jail and court. I pled guilty and took what the worthless judge gave me. Met my obligations. Later the DA and others decided to retry me as a adult. Funny thing was. They never told me or my worthless lawyer. Warrant went out. Busted again. After it was all over I owned the DA and judge. Double jeopardy, false arrest and not adjudicating me really made them look bad. But what can you expect from over educated idiot college boys on the public pay role. It cost them big time.

As a adult I was arrested, charged, jailed and pled guilty for growing pot for my own consumption. A deal was struck like yours with some jail time to make them feel good. But I went through with expunging my record. That cost a ton of money. All the dogs are really interested in is money. And making your life a living hell.

I'm now clean. Heck I could be a cop. LMAO! The juv. stuff happened in SoCal / Orange County. And the pot farmer stuff happened in Rogers Co. Ok. You have to make the courts do there job. And doing so means it cost you money. Not them unless they really screw up. The burden of proof is on you.

Good luck with your purchase. Just know you may in the long run have to fight the system. Or have the issue follow you for the rest of your life.

A uncle of my screwed up once. The night of his batchlar party he got trash and walked home. It was winter in Tulsa OKiehoma and he figured out almost to late he was freezing to death. To save his life he kicked in a bank front door for the entrance foyer. He closed the doors back up and set on the well lit benches in the foyer. Never touching the main entrance doors. Being young and dumb they charged him with bank robbery. But gave him a deal like yours. It was clear,,, he made a mistake. But never tried to enter the bank proper. After years of having to go through felony stops because the cops info on him was bank robber. He finally made the courts do there job. It cost him a boat load of money. But it got his record cleaned up. Funny how his already perfect credit score went up. His car insurance went down. And the cops left him alone.

Make them do there job. Otherwise your a vic. of the retarded system we have. Created by over educated college boys with no common sense. Most of which would be politicians if they could polish up there act as pathological liars.

Their job.

hotpig
10-14-2012, 09:25
Delays are just as common as instant approvals. Most delays they call with a approval number within hours. I have seldom went past twenty four hours waiting before transferring.

Just because you had a delay or a instant approval the last ten times does not guarantee that the next one will be thoppositeit.

hotpig
10-14-2012, 09:30
Glad you finally got the proceed. I got delayed the first time I bought a firearm too. Filled out all the paperwork, got told I'd have to wait. Bought it tuesday, was told if they didn't call me before saturday then I could come in and pick it up. They called me the next day and said I was good to go. No explanation on why I was delayed, no explanation on what I can do to make sure I'm not delayed next time, nothing. But hey, I have my firearm, you have yours, life is good. :supergrin:

The Dealer is not privy to why you are delayed or rejected.