Your right to resell your own stuff is in peril [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Your right to resell your own stuff is in peril

zeke501
10-07-2012, 17:10
CHICAGO (MarketWatch) ó Tucked into the U.S. Supreme Courtís agenda this fall is a little-known case that could upend your ability to resell everything from your grandmotherís antique furniture to your iPhone 4.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/your-right-to-resell-your-own-stuff-is-in-peril-2012-10-04

Westicle
10-07-2012, 17:13
in canada with ITAR regulations and firearms parts requiring end user certificates the right to sell our own property is allready being limited by USA and our own goverment thru import/export restrictions, so if you think this is anything new....

pizza_pablo
10-07-2012, 17:19
I reckon the courts will be overflowing and unable to prosecute all of the cases that would potentially be brought.
More silliness taken seriously. :upeyes:

RonS
10-07-2012, 17:27
I expected another "The sky is falling" thread. This looks legit and dangerous because it benefits big businesses, who pay people to lobby for their interests, at the expense of consumers who Washington is only aware of when they want to pass new taxes.

gwalchmai
10-08-2012, 05:03
I expected another "The sky is falling" thread. This looks legit and dangerous because it benefits big businesses, who pay people to lobby for their interests, at the expense of consumers who Washington is only aware of when they want to pass new taxes.
Isn't eBay big business?

Snaps
10-08-2012, 05:40
Its already done. Charging sales tax to sell your own used car is something people seem to think is ok. Just what will people allow now

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Drain You
10-08-2012, 06:51
They are going to create a brown market. I'm sure that term already exists, but I'm stealing it.

Dennis in MA
10-08-2012, 11:27
That's gray market, unless you are reselling fertilizer.

For that matter, what of it? Buffalo, among other municipalities, sells fertilizer from its waste plant. That's my poo. I didn't get a cut. They can't sell my poo! Call my lawyer.

This is more a sour grapes situation where Company X wants to charge higher prices in the US than elsewhere and someone is end-running their profits. They have a choice - charge higher prices in Thailand.

Deanster
10-08-2012, 12:03
This is both a real case, and a potentially serious issue, and it's hard to imagine the USSC supporting the appellate court's ruling. Part of the USSC's job is to find ways for things with ridiculous impacts like this to disappear, and they're pretty good at it.

A model where the first-sale doctrine applies only to domestically produced products is unworkable. Unfortunately, one possible way to fix it would be to simply remove the doctrine entirely, which would make an awful lot of IP owners happy... they HATE grey market imports.

But my bet is that the SC overrules the Circuit court, and this stupid ruling just goes away, leaving the status quo unharmed.

jtull7
10-08-2012, 18:14
That is absurd. Will never happen

PaulMason
10-08-2012, 18:27
Let's put it this way - it would be good for the economy, so maybe they would do it. If individuals can't sell what they bought then people that would have bought the used product would have to buy new.

CitizenOfDreams
10-08-2012, 21:17
Let's put it this way - it would be good for the economy, so maybe they would do it. If individuals can't sell what they bought then people that would have bought the used product would have to buy new.

Let's abolish private property altogether. People should not be allowed to own things; instead, they should pay monthy fees to use them. It will be great for the economy!

tbone1970
10-08-2012, 21:37
That's my poo. I didn't get a cut. They can't sell my poo! Call my lawyer.

sig line material :rofl:

podwich
10-08-2012, 22:10

Sometimes I think there's no hope. :faint:

PaulMason
10-09-2012, 08:09
Sometimes I think there's no hope. :faint:

The Supreme Court ruled that Obamacare is a tax. You can be taxed for not doing something.

Do you remember Cash for Clunkers? Instead of doing that they would set it up as a tax if you own a car over a certain age. They do that in Japan. The older your car the more of a tax you pay.

There is no hope!