Saskatchewan police want appeal of spitting case. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Saskatchewan police want appeal of spitting case.

ronduke
10-07-2012, 20:28
The judge ruled, "If we want to deter suspects from spitting on police officers, we need to educate these officers about the real risks involved, and not perpetuate their anxiety by repeating urban myths."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2012/10/05/sk-police-upset-about-spitting-decision-1210.html

janice6
10-07-2012, 20:32
I think the judge is being a richard. You only need to catch a bad thing once to make it personal.

AIDS is passed with body fluids to mouth, wounds and eyes.

I'm sure there are many other nasty bugs I wouldn't want. Cops are right.

blueiron
10-07-2012, 20:33
Ignore science at your own peril.

Ohio Copper
10-07-2012, 20:36
So says the guy behind the bench with people protecting him...

Sent from my PKE meter.

x_out86
10-07-2012, 20:46
Humm judge....Even if YOU cant find any "scientific proof", you tell me if common sense would say that spitting on somebody (especially an LEO) would be considered DISGUSTING and criminal! Here is a hint... thats probably why you dont see people walking around spitting on each other everyday.

I have made numerous arrests for people spitting on/at somebody else and they held up. Just like battery to an LEO, spitting on them should carry more serious penalties.

blueiron
10-07-2012, 20:55
In this instance, the Crown is an ass.

larry_minn
10-07-2012, 21:06
To spit on a person's shoe is a nasty statement. Anything else is assult. If folks find they can get away with doing this... THEY WILL. It will get worse and worse. I agree folks that fight, spit, attempt to flee (in car/on foot) SHOULD be punished for that spacific charge (in addition to orig charge) That only way to make things safer (for Officers and general public)

Pepper45
10-07-2012, 21:07
I wonder how upset the judge would be if someone were to spit in his eye? I'll bet she doesn't worry about her perception of disease transmission, and pushes for the maximum sentence possible.

This judge is just another person who sees themselves as a member of the privileged class looking at the police as furniture, beneath regard as people charged with dealing with the most disgusting, vile, contemptible people on the planet, so she doesn't have to. When forced to consider them at all, their feelings don't matter, the risks they take are ones that they somehow take voluntarily.

I had a DA tell me once that he wouldn't prosecute someone for assaulting a public safety officer, as we'd all signed up for the job voluntarily, and that if we were afraid of being hurt, we could always find other work. He said he wouldn't say "never" as there might be some horrible attack that might move him to present the issue to a grand jury. He's no longer working for our DA's office.

razdog76
10-07-2012, 21:14
Perhaps the Officer should simply ask to approach the bench? :whistling:

janice6
10-07-2012, 21:23
perhaps the officer should simply ask to approach the bench? :whistling:

HA.ha.ha this!!!

Big House
10-07-2012, 21:54
Spitters had a special place when being booked in.

jethro21
10-07-2012, 23:24
I charged a guy for flicking a bloody booger at me, no joke. He was in custody after a fight (not with me) and was being beligerant to a nurse at the hospital. I collected it and logged it as evidence. He got 6 months for assault. Not spitting but goes with the vibe of this thread- he had hep c.

Could it have infected me? I am not quite sure of any medical statistics, but I am certain there is a chance it could have. Just like saliva coming into contact with mucus membranes (eyes, mouth). TB, meningitis, flu, hepatitis, hiv- these are just a few diseases that are spread by droplets.

A6Gator
10-08-2012, 07:12
"If we want to deter suspects from spitting on police officers,"

If their lips are swollen up enough, it's a lot harder to spit...:supergrin:

Just sayin'

Kingarthurhk
10-08-2012, 10:52
The judge ruled, "If we want to deter suspects from spitting on police officers, we need to educate these officers about the real risks involved, and not perpetuate their anxiety by repeating urban myths."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2012/10/05/sk-police-upset-about-spitting-decision-1210.html

"Oh, Canada.":upeyes:

frizz
10-08-2012, 13:01
I would really hate for someone with cold sores spit in my eye. Herpes will infect anywhere there is a break in the skin or mucous membranes. Eye herpes is horrible. Google it if you want nightmares.