Cops nail guy pointing laser at helicopter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cops nail guy pointing laser at helicopter

cowboy1964
10-08-2012, 08:05
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/what-national-security-issue-is-at-such-epidemic-levels-the-fbi-just-created-a-task-force-for-it-laser-pointers/

Idiot.

M&P15T
10-08-2012, 08:11
I worked with this cat that bought a laser, bragged about it when he ordered it, said how awesome it was based on the specs.

He received it in the mail, and brought it to work.

Holy ****, it was absolutely incredible. We could shine it at a building 1/2 mile a way and see it clear and crisp. If you hit a stop sign with it, brilliant green laser light just exploded all around it. It could pop a baloon, all of that stuff. Definitely would wreck your eye.

This person had a home that was very near the landing pattern for our local major airport. I was absolutely not shocked, when there was an article in the news about the Police looking for the person that had aimed a laser at the cockpit of an airplane from his neighborhood.

What a freaking idiot.

Patchman
10-08-2012, 08:15
“I had temporary blindness. My eyes were burning. It caused disorientation, and it was distracting,” Captain Robert Hamilton with the Air Line Pilots Association said, of a time when he was landing a plane and a laser was pointed at the aircraft.

If this is the effect of what a laser can do, and if the pilot is flying a jet airplane or helicopter full of passengers over a populated neighborhood, community, town or city, then this is a problem.

Next, idiots will be doing this to drivers on highways.

MtBaldy
10-08-2012, 08:28
Next, idiots will be doing this to drivers on highways.

Already done:

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/3-Shined-Laser-Into-Plainfield-Drivers-Eyes-Cop-167557575.html

Adjuster
10-08-2012, 09:55
I have only played with the simple little key chain/pointer lasers and even they are impressive. Have you ever tried to point one of these lasers at a stop sign two or three blocks down the street? Its almost impossible, takes many tries, a steady hand and even then you can't hold it steady on target. Please tell me how in the heck someone is able to hit the cockpit window of an aircraft 20,000 feet in the air or however high they fly?!

/

Adjuster
10-08-2012, 10:01
And I forgot to add moving at 100's of miles per hour!

/

Sporaticus
10-08-2012, 10:15
Please tell me how in the heck someone is able to hit the cockpit window of an aircraft 20,000 feet in the air or however high they fly?!/

I was thinking the same thing, but it seems to keep coming back to helicopters and aircraft on takeoff and landing.

MadMonkey
10-08-2012, 10:18
I have only played with the simple little key chain/pointer lasers and even they are impressive. Have you ever tried to point one of these lasers at a stop sign two or three blocks down the street? Its almost impossible, takes many tries, a steady hand and even then you can't hold it steady on target. Please tell me how in the heck someone is able to hit the cockpit window of an aircraft 20,000 feet in the air or however high they fly?!

/

It doesn't take a long burst to do damage or to temporarily blind someone.

I find it funny that the idiots who usually so this are clueless enough to shine it at a plane, then shine it at the helicopters that come looking for them. For the cops it must be like shooting fish in a barrel...

Patchman
10-08-2012, 10:44
/

But it must have happened unless those pilots are lying in concert.

Patchman
10-08-2012, 10:46

I find it funny that the idiots who usually so this are clueless enough to shine it at a plane, then shine it at the helicopters that come looking for them. For the cops it must be like shooting fish in a barrel...

A helo borne mini gun would be nice.

harlenm
10-08-2012, 10:53

/

They are hitting planes coming in for a landing, much lower and much slower.

hpracing007
10-08-2012, 10:54
Did they need that many cops after they found the guy?

m2hmghb
10-08-2012, 11:18
They are hitting planes coming in for a landing, much lower and much slower.

Not to mention a predictable path.

byf43
10-08-2012, 11:57

With a laser sighter.:wavey:

"What's good for the goose. . . ."

Alchemy
10-08-2012, 13:49
The effect of the lasers in question are a statistical and
medical fact. If anyone wants to deny it they are barking
up the wrong tree.

On another note I found the comment section to the linked
article to be quite hilarious/scary depending on your point
of view. So if you want a good laugh read the comments.:wavey:

nikerret
10-08-2012, 14:14
Reminds me of sixth grade. The pen laser pointers had just become popular and were a curiosity, at first. Then, it ended up an automatic suspension if you got caught with one.

Next, the FBI will have to go after Gig-a-pets. It's sixth grade all over again. Now, where's a bra to snap?

G29Reload
10-08-2012, 14:23

I dunno. That's my question, unless they hang out and keep shining it, how do these clowns ever get caught? Planes ain't near the ground, unless you're right near the airport they're way up there, so how do they track down someone if they just shine it and then leave? The prime witnesses have been somewhat blinded to begin with, how do they catch the offender?

And what kind of laser does this? I mean its not like if you shined the LaserGrip on your Sig at plane a mile away it would do anything, right? Arent these high power industrial lasers?

M&P15T
10-08-2012, 14:43
I dunno. That's my question, unless they hang out and keep shining it, how do these clowns ever get caught? Planes ain't near the ground, unless you're right near the airport they're way up there, so how do they track down someone if they just shine it and then leave? The prime witnesses have been somewhat blinded to begin with, how do they catch the offender?

And what kind of laser does this? I mean its not like if you shined the LaserGrip on your Sig at plane a mile away it would do anything, right? Arent these high power industrial lasers?

LOL!!!

No, these aren't industrial lasers. In an earlier post, there's the name to google to see some of them....hell you could order one....then shine it in your eye. Even a mile away you'll be blinded and possibly suffer vision damage.

hpracing007
10-08-2012, 14:57
Reminds me of sixth grade. The pen laser pointers had just become popular and were a curiosity, at first. Then, it ended up an automatic suspension if you got caught with one.

Next, the FBI will have to go after Gig-a-pets. It's sixth grade all over again. Now, where's a bra to snap?

I still remember the day in junior high when one kid got one. He convinced another that he could give him lasik with it and I was like, screw you guys, i'm outta here :shocked:

I heard, no long term affects thank goodness.

G29Reload
10-08-2012, 15:11
I still remember the day in junior high when one kid got one.

anyone here old enough to remember klic klacs or however they spelled it? It was like giving kids on school buses deadly weapons. I think they were outlawed in about 2 weeks once they caught on.

two marble glass or acrylic balls about 3/4 the size of tennis balls, on the opposite end of a string. You held the string in the middle and started flailing, to get them to impact then bounce back and the faster you did it they faster they klac'd.

First some of the balls broke and shattered the user and bystanders with fragments, then kids started using them as weapons and then…you get the picture.

Holy crap look what I found!

http://www.timewarptoys.com/clackers.htm

Eric
10-08-2012, 15:17
How freaking stupid do you have to be to shine a laser at a police helicopter, or at any helicopter if you cannot determine whether or not it is a police helicopter? Dumbass.

I have one of these lasers.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=228231&stc=1&d=1349730865

http://www.opticsplanet.com/laser-genetics-nd-3-x-50mm-sub-zero-laser-designator-w-scope-mount.html

This is an incredibly bright and tightly focused laser. It could dazzle someone's vision, or even damage it, from a great distance. One of these in the wrong hands could be very dangerous to low-flying aircraft. They don't have to do damage to the pilot's eyes. Only distract him at a time when his speed and altitude make any mistake on his part a potential tragedy. Eric

beatcop
10-08-2012, 15:19
Adjuster,

-civ stuff is 5 milli watt max..."eye safe"
-the crap people are buying is not five thousandths of a watt, it's whole watts!
The dispersion at "miles" may be 10 feet...15 feet, enough to get you in the area.

Adjuster
10-08-2012, 15:42
a

Holy crap look what I found!

http://www.timewarptoys.com/clackers.htm

LOL I like this. Pretty exciting!

http://www.timewarptoys.com/klackers.wav

/

frizz
10-08-2012, 16:13
"Helo"? Didn't know you were a Navy dood.

larry_minn
10-08-2012, 16:13

/
Like most anything some folks are better aiming then others. It does NOT take a 30 second (on target) to blind a person temp. Go in room with minimal light. (so you can just see) have someone shine a bright flashlight in your face for half second. (eyes open) then try to see things for next 20 seconds.
If person is on take off/landing route the plane is moving SLOWLY in relation to you (up/down/left/right) At 20k feet if pilot distracted for 30 seconds odds are things will be ok. (likely on auto pilot anyway) If Pilot is 30 seconds from landing/takeoff............

Patchman
10-08-2012, 16:18
"Helo"? Didn't know you were a Navy dood.

Oh yeah. Nigerian Navy SEAL and proud of it!

smokin762
10-08-2012, 16:26
How freaking stupid do you have to be to shine a laser at a police helicopter, or at any helicopter if you cannot determine whether or not it is a police helicopter? Dumbass.

I have one of these lasers.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=228231&stc=1&d=1349730865

http://www.opticsplanet.com/laser-genetics-nd-3-x-50mm-sub-zero-laser-designator-w-scope-mount.html

This is an incredibly bright and tightly focused laser. It could dazzle someone's vision, or even damage it, from a great distance. One of these in the wrong hands could be very dangerous to low-flying aircraft. They don't have to do damage to the pilot's eyes. Only distract him at a time when his speed and altitude make any mistake on his part a potential tragedy. Eric

Sooo, why did you buy it? :whistling:

:supergrin:

fwm
10-08-2012, 17:05
And I forgot to add moving at 100's of miles per hour!

/

Just sight down the length of the laser like a shotgun, and no lead necessary. Landing planes are particularly susceptible. These things are larger than those little cat toys and much easier to hold steady.

Eric
10-08-2012, 18:05

Because I am a hopeless gadget junky and it is unbearably cool. I justified the purchase after the fact, when we discovered that a moving green dot was the center of the universe, to my brother's Shiloh Shepherds. They lose their freaking minds every time they hear that thing click. They will chase that laser beam until their lungs bleed. It is hilarious to watch them. Eric

Rabbi
10-08-2012, 18:31
Because I am a hopeless gadget junky and it is unbearably cool. I justified the purchase after the fact, when we discovered that a moving green dot was the center of the universe, to my brother's Shiloh Shepherds. They lose their freaking minds every time they hear that thing click. They will chase that laser beam until their lungs bleed. It is hilarious to watch them. Eric

My spaz of a dog (whom I love dearly) has the same afliction.

I can sit in my chair and wear his butt out with a little dot.

ChuteTheMall
10-08-2012, 18:50
You'll put yer eye out with that thing!

:pirates:

The Machinist
10-08-2012, 19:44
I'm going to buy a few lasers before the federal government bans them.

CBennett
10-08-2012, 20:02
i hate morons with lasers

Breadman03
10-08-2012, 20:10

Video or it didn't happen....:cool:

Averageman
10-09-2012, 07:17
I can't hardly believe they are powerful enoough to put an eye out.
I do however believe we may have some gear on aircraft that "Pings" everytime they get lased as this is a part of many surface to air missles are laser guided.
As it is now we use YAG lasers and some few Ruby Red Lasers in our weapon systems, but they wont do damage unless many lases at close distances are encountered.
Catching fire and popping balloons? I dunno about that.

fwm
10-09-2012, 09:57

They are used extensively in star education training. They are used to point at stars, constellations and galaxies at night in outdoor night classes. Very effective tool. When I've seen them used, they were always used with care and away from anything flying.

fwm
10-09-2012, 10:04
I can't hardly believe they are powerful enoough to put an eye out.
I do however believe we may have some gear on aircraft that "Pings" everytime they get lased as this is a part of many surface to air missles are laser guided.
As it is now we use YAG lasers and some few Ruby Red Lasers in our weapon systems, but they wont do damage unless many lases at close distances are encountered.
Catching fire and popping balloons? I dunno about that.

Check out youtube.com There are many videos of people doing just that. Don't confuse these lasers with the 'toys' that can be bought at pet stores.

Some have made 'laser guns' from the blue led found in blu-ray players that pop balloons and light matches effortlessly. These green lasers are several orders of magnitude more powerful.

Eric
10-09-2012, 11:02
Video or it didn't happen....:cool:

Laser Genetics Subzero and German Shepherds - YouTube

Angry Fist
10-09-2012, 11:09

We got expelled for these:

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2373/snapper0465131.jpg

NMGlocker
10-09-2012, 11:22
I have a 1 watt green laser and it is far more dangerous than a firearm.
Instant permanent eye damage out to several hundred yards.
We were in the desert shining it at rock cliffs 10 miles away and you could see the dot (prob 3' diameter at that distance) with binoculars.
Will set a match on fire in a few seconds from 5' away.
Not a toy for stupid people.

LAWDOGKMS
10-09-2012, 11:57
Look at this..

Arctic Spyder III 1W Blue laser Popping Balloons - YouTube