LWD Extended Slide Stop Failure [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LWD Extended Slide Stop Failure

Nightman56
10-08-2012, 12:06
Hi everyone.

I’m the first to admit that I point anyone expressing interest in modifying their firearms to Lone Wolf Distributors. I’ve placed a few orders with them in the past and purchased many of their parts at local gun shows over the years. All three of my Glocks have LWD parts in them.

I’m posting this recent experience with a LWD part, wondering if anyone else has had similar parts failure upon receiving them? I’ve read various barrel failures to feed etc, but not so much on the smaller parts.

Upon receiving the LWD extended slide stop, I noticed it wasn’t fitting as properly as it should and when it did fit, it had 100% failure rate. The extended slide stop would not stay down. Okay, took it out and compared it to the factory slide stop. The photos express what I discovered, quite simply, the wire is not to spec and the part does not function.

I contacted customer service promptly, including the photos and explained the part failure. I do not wish to insert the conversation in its entirety. The response I received was an installation video and indication thatif it still did not work, the process for return. I explained that I appreciated the video, however, owning multiple Glocks over 6 years, I’m very capable of replacing every part on a Glock.

Now, I’ve had very limited need or communication for LWD customer service. I don’t think I ever contacted them about a part, only to ask questions about future orders. I’m a bit taken back by the responses. The response I received to the above email from LWD, was to send the part back at my expense for it to be looked at by their warranty department. I sat therestaring at my screen a minute. Ship a $13 part for $5 at my expense from a $160 order? For it to be looked at up to a month and if determined to be customer’s fault (per their return policy)..? Maybe it’s just me, but I think the course of action, based on the photos, should be sending me a replacement part at a cost of probably $7 + $3 shipping.

That may have avoided my rant here. I’d rather purchase the part from someplace else than to deal with this shenanigans. We are talking a $13 part. I suppose it’s the principle of the matter as it always is.

Photos show the factory in front of and behind the LWD. Note the wire - It is of wrong angle and also shorter than factory. With it in and pin in place, raising it a mere 2 mm causes the wire to release from under the pin. It fails the function test without slide on. With slide on and assembled, racking the slide with no magazine in the firearm still causes the slide stop to stop the slide.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/Bur05XP/LWD/DSC_0033.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/Bur05XP/LWD/DSC_0023.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/Bur05XP/LWD/DSC_0033.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f236/Bur05XP/LWD/DSC_0023.jpg

kodiakpb
10-08-2012, 12:14
Maybe it's my phone app but I don't see any pics.

Nightman56
10-08-2012, 12:34
There are two direct links to my photos at the bottom of the post. Thanks.

JBP55
10-08-2012, 12:42
I have used several dozen with no problems.

kodiakpb
10-08-2012, 13:05
There are two direct links to my photos at the bottom of the post. Thanks.

Ok the links don't show up on tapatalk. Looks like the spring is not angled correctly on the SSL causing it to not have enough contact under the locking block pin....like you said. I'd probably just bend the spring to the correct angle and be done with it.

Nightman56
10-08-2012, 13:15
I think pushing the slide stop into place does bring the wire back towards where it's suppose to be, obviously adding a good deal of tension on the part itself and movement. I'd rather receive a replacement in spec than to modify a new part, ya know? Even modifying, I think the wire at the end is cut too short, the factory wire is longer by at least another 2mm. It fully releases from the pin (completely non-operational) when raised only half the distance the factory can raise without the slide on.

Fortunately, this part was going on a range use only Glock. This part may be an only occurrence in a batch of 100s or 1000s, or it could be a bad batch. Don't know. I'm more pissed at how LWD is handing the situation when I've heard so many great customer service compliments.

Again, my post is mainly to inquire if anyone else has had issues with similar 'small parts' and how LWD customer service handled the situation.

barres
10-08-2012, 14:20
I had the exact same problem with an extended slide stop lever from LWD. I never bothered contacting them. As much as I hate throwing money out the window, I figured the hoops I would have to jump through would just be throwing more of it away. I've either thrown it away or into a spare parts/junk drawer. I'm gun shy of non-factory parts, now.

LoneWolfMarketing
10-08-2012, 14:21
LWD-7496 Installation Video - YouTube

Check out the video linked and let me know if you still have problems. A small number of pistols, even with using the correct installation, may have issues.

Please contact CustomerService@LoneWolfDist.com and we'll take care of you.

Nightman56
10-08-2012, 14:29
^^^ This is exactly my point AND verbatim the first email reply I received from your customer service this morning. You are pointing at my capabilities as an armorer to install it correctly and my firearm, rather than YOUR part. The photos I posted above show that YOUR part differs from the factory part by some margin.

Quit assuming that I don't know how to install parts on my firearms or that your part doesn't work with my factory Glock. I think there is a greater chance that your aftermarker part is more out of spec than my Glock being out of spec.

I have contacted your customer service. I was told to pay around $5 to send a $13 part back for 'inspection' rather than you sending me a new part for $10. My order was $160 afterall..

kodiakpb
10-08-2012, 14:34
^^^ This is exactly my point. You are pointing at my capabilities as an armorer to install it correctly and my firearm, rather than YOUR part. The photos I posted above show that YOUR part differs from the factoryp part by some margin.

I have contacted your customer service. I was told to pay around $5 to send a $13 part back for 'inspection' rather than you sending me a new part.

I agree with you, but as I mentioned your links are not viewable in the mobile app. You have to view the desktop version of the web page to see them. I suggest using image tags (not direct links) from photobucket so the pics show up. That guy above from LW may have not seen the pics.

Nightman56
10-08-2012, 14:36
Not everyone views from a mobile phone, though I guess there is a shift of that lately. Let me see what I can do.

Edited the post with the image codes. Is that viewable?

kodiakpb
10-08-2012, 14:41
Not everyone views from a mobile phone, though I guess there is a shift of that lately. Let me see what I can do.

Edited the post with the image codes. Is that viewable?

Yep works now :)

jbglock
10-08-2012, 15:01
I still buy parts from LWD but I refuse to use or recommend any of their "branded" products myself after the run around I got about where their barrels are made.

JR
10-08-2012, 15:05
Thanks for fixing the pic link. You can clearly see the springs are in a different position. It has more to do with the way the spring is attached than anything else. Stretched out, the springs are very similar. LWD has delivered many of these extended slide stops and received a few complaints. We have found that the video link helped resolve the fit issues virtually every time.
Zack provided the video link because a large number of GT patrons are not Armorers and may not understand proper installation. They can benefit by viewing the video. This has nothing to do with questioning your capabilities as an Armorer. We simply want to establish we are all on the same page. Consider this: Glock Inc demands you recertify as an Armorer every 3 years or they pull your certificate. They don't think you forgot anything, they simply want to update you.
The slide stop could be returned via First Class mail in a padded envelope. If you view this request as a disservice we can certainly mail you a return envelope. If there is anything else you would like adressed please feel free to email me direct jr@lonewolfdist.com

lethal tupperwa
10-08-2012, 15:05
stock works for me.